British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is the person standing next to Lady Louise at the end of the line outside church? Anyone know?

Nope, Sophie was present at several family/official occasions way before her marriage to Edward in 1999.
It's a nice touch anyway.
Nope, the attendance at Sandringham definitely began with Meghan. Before then no other fiancé/fiancée had ever attended Christmas service with the royal family.

All right fair enough others did attend public family events before Meghan but I’m not sure they were classified as ‘official’ royal family events like the recent commonwealth service? Not even sure I’m making any sense here:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, the attendance at Sandringham definitely began with Meghan. Before then no other fiancé/fiancée had ever attended Christmas service with the royal family.

I thought we were talking about "public family events".
In that case, and not the Christmas Service in particular, Sophie attended several family events prior to her marriage, including Trooping the Colour, not less ...
But again, that's a really nice "tradition".

Last edited:
The Cambridge royal wedding was certainly an official royal event and Mike Tindall was there right next to Zara.

Sophie did attend official events. She was at the decommissioning of HMS Britannia if I’m not mistaken.

Nothing new.

I thought the same. Such a big deal was made out of Meghan’s new found Christian faith. I thought for sure she’d want to spend it with The Queen.

She used to attend church services in other places way before her conversion to the Anglican faith and baptism. Anglicanism is not the only christian faith, you know. And I don’t believe you have to stick to a particular denomination or be baptised before you can be considered a christian.

Anyway the Queen was as graceful and magnificent as ever today :flowers:

Anne looked perturbed about something, possibly the fact the Cambridge's weren't there?

I don't believe it was due to traffic, they would surely have allowed plenty of time to arrive at the Castle ahead of the church service especially if travelling from relatively far and I doubt they would use that car for travelling from the Middleton house to Windsor.

Its not a big issue but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the media and twittershere have something to say about it!

I agree :ermm:

Unforeseen things happen. When Harry and Meghan visited Wales they were an hour late because of train delays. Sometimes a delay is just a delay.

Funny people trying to make this into a constitutional issue. At least The Cambridges attended.

No one is making this an issue as I’m sure no one is going out of their way to be snide about H&M on here. Posters just wondering and having a discussion is all and I read all the time that Harry is constitutionally irrelevant so I’m not sure his absence at events count in comparison to the Cambridges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not following the conspiracy theory with the Cambridges being late. It was stated it was because of traffic. Did Kate say to William, “let’s be late today for Easter service, it’ll drive Twitter crazy”.

I know some people don’t like the Cambridges but grasping and straws come to mind.

That's a pretty standard "waiting" face for Anne. I would not read anything into it.

Ha yes you're right there! I think she's wonderful.
Maybe also concerned about the DoE too?
Although she's such a stickler for protocol, I can imagine she was irritated by the late arrival of William and Catherine. As the next most senior royals after the Queen present, they would have been expected to support her - I notice they were just after the Queen on the way out after the service.

Anne looked perturbed about something, possibly the fact the Cambridge's weren't there?

I don't believe it was due to traffic, they would surely have allowed plenty of time to arrive at the Castle ahead of the church service especially if travelling from relatively far and I doubt they would use that car for travelling from the Middleton house to Windsor.

Its not a big issue but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the media and twittershere have something to say about it!

Normal face for Anne, I wouldn't read anything into it.

You don't believe traffic? Based on what? You think it was a deliberate attempt by William and Kate to do...what? They weren't at Windsor..they were with the Middletons.

LaRae

Thanks for the link. I noticed in the DM video everyone curtseyed except Princess Beatrice and The Princess Royal.
Any particular reason?
Maybe both had met the Queen before the service. I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that performing obeisance to HM is only required once a day.

Yes they must of been with the Queen prior to the service. That's the reason they don't curtesy, they've already done so earlier that day.

LaRae

Normal face for Anne, I wouldn't read anything into it.

You don't believe traffic? Based on what? You think it was a deliberate attempt by William and Kate to do...what? They weren't at Windsor..they were with the Middletons.

LaRae

Clearly it was a deliberate attempt to do... as you say to do what?

Everyone was all smiles leaving the church. The Queen was beaming.

No one is making this an issue as I’m sure no one is going out of their way to be snide about H&M on here. Posters just wondering and having a discussion is all and I read all the time that Harry is constitutionally irrelevant so I’m not sure his absence at events count in comparison to the Cambridges.

Harry has always attended Easter with Charles is my understanding.

Those trying to insinuate something from H/M not being there should recall that until last year, the Cambs never attended Easter service with HM either...

As it is, everyone looked in fine spirits. Was a pleasant surprise to see Kate who looks glowing.

Last edited:
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/940592802

Guess James wasn’t really keen for church today or he wasn’t feeling well. Either way that’s quite a sweet photo to see sophie comforting her son.

Everyone looked well today I have to say and quite a turn out of family members. Shame about Philip not attending but I guess we have the get used to not seeing Philip in public.

One final note - how lovely is it to see Lady Louise in high heels?!

Here's another video of the Queen and Royal Family at St George's Chapel Windsor today.I only noticed that the Cambridge's arrived after the queen.

How do we know that the Cambridges were visiting the Middletons and got stuck in traffic? Aren't they in a royal Bentley? Would the Cambridges have a royal Bentley at their disposal to bring them from Bucklebury to Windsor? I also notice that the same priest who greeted the Queen greeted them, and then the Cambridges were right behind the Queen when she left.

It is reported they are spending the Easter with the Middletons. Stop looking to make things more than they are.

Occams Razor applies.

LaRae

IMO Meghan's presence at Sandringham holds no significance other than she was a royal fiance at the time of the Christmas holidays, she chose to spend Christmas with her fiance in her new location rather than with her family who live on another continent, and as such she spent Christmas at Sandringham because that is where Harry typically spends his Christmases.

Previous fiances were either not engaged during the Christmas season or opted to spend Christmas holidays with their natal families.

Watching the video, a few thoughts popped into my still caffeine deprived head about the arrivals and the Cambridges being "late" to the party.

Everyone walked to the church en masse with no particlular order of precedence in mind. They congregated at the entrance to await the Queen. The Queen and then the Cambridges arrive by cars with the Queen first.

With the Queen's arrival comes the meeting and greeting the family and the priest. This takes a few moments as the Queen isn't as spry as she used to be. With the Cambridges arriving last, they were able to just walk straight from the car into the church with no delay.

Its my opinion that this was planned and how they wanted it to be. They were being considerate of Kate's advanced pregnancy and to make it easier on her, not a whole lot of standing around and curtsying but rather in and out with the minimum of delay and time on her feet. With the Cambridges immediately following the Queen out of church, they would then hop into two cars for the trip away from the church. The others most likely walked.

This is the most plausible explanation IMO. Family is considerate of family. :D

Last edited:
It is reported they are spending the Easter with the Middletons. Stop looking to make things more than they are.

Occams Razor applies.

LaRae
Who reported it? Speaking for myself I am not making more out of it than it is, I think that they were late, but they did not seem that late because the same priest who greeted the Queen hung around to greet the Cambridges, and he was not wearing simple vestments, so he was not some low-level greeter. In my mind the Queen should have just waited a few minutes, but at the same time, I hear that some members of the royal family are big sticklers for time, the term martinet is often used.

Emily Andrews is one I saw that reported it. Someone else here saw something about it as well...it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

LaRae

Zara is just as pregnant as Kate and she walked just fine. And they did change cars it seems. It isn't some grand conspiracy. They were clearly late cause of traffic and from how some looked around it would seem the family were not aware of it. All in all, stuff happens and the the world keeps spinning.

Also The Queen never waits.

Clearly it was a deliberate attempt to do... as you say to do what?

Everyone was all smiles leaving the church. The Queen was beaming.

I can only see two people here making conspiracy theories... the rest of us are just talking amongst ourselves. Obviously, without doubt the Cambridges were late, no one said it was on purpose, no one said the Queen cared one bit. Theres a big difference from making conspiracy theories and discussing amongst ourselves.

Anyway. I wonder in Philip is at Windsor or still at Sandringham where he seems to be based most of the time now.

IMO Meghan's presence at Sandringham holds no significance other than she was a royal fiance at the time of the Christmas holidays, she chose to spend Christmas with her fiance in her new location rather than with her family who live on another continent, and as such she spent Christmas at Sandringham because that is where Harry typically spends his Christmases.

Previous fiances were either not engaged during the Christmas season or opted to spend Christmas holidays with their natal families.
I think you're right. Most recent engagements (since Charles & Diana) happened early in the new year this no Christmas appearance.

I don't believe William even attended Christmas when he was engaged. He volunteered to be on duty so that married officers could be with their families. Why would Catherine go if William didn't?

Harry hasn't attended an Easter service for years. There is no reason why he should start now.

William and Kate only started attending last year for some reason.

Charles and Camilla always spend Easter in Scotland - and sometimes there is coverage of them going to church there but not always. They are also preparing for their trip to Australia this week.

As far as I can tell nobody said/suggested it was, but the change in tradition started with her. I’m really glad Eugenie’s fiancé got to attend.

That's a pretty standard "waiting" face for Anne. I would not read anything into it.

No C&C, No Harry and Meghan, no Andrew?

Andrew with Beatrice
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/940661902

How do we know that the Cambridges were visiting the Middletons and got stuck in traffic? Aren't they in a royal Bentley? Would the Cambridges have a royal Bentley at their disposal to bring them from Bucklebury to Windsor? I also notice that the same priest who greeted the Queen greeted them, and then the Cambridges were right behind the Queen when she left.

Here is the info from Twitter:

VIDEO: #kate & #princewilliam were late to St George’s Chapel for the Easter service: perhaps they got held up in roadworks on M4 from Bucklebury, where they’re spending Easter with Kate’s parents. ��@RoyalReporter who is on the scene!

A royal bentley wouldn't have brought them to Windsor, one would have driven and then they would have swapped cars (and dropped off children) to be driven to the chapel. The same priest would have greeted both, as he greeted all members of the RF. The service wouldn't have started without Catherine and William.

Whilst I think it was ill-advised for the Cambridges to make such a big journey the morning of, as opposed to the night before. We have no idea what happened on route.

Last edited:
Zara is just as pregnant as Kate and she walked just fine. And they did change cars it seems. It isn't some grand conspiracy. They were clearly late cause of traffic and from how some looked around it would seem the family were not aware of it. All in all, stuff happens and the the world keeps spinning.

Also The Queen never waits.

Interesting! This is the first I'm hearing of Zara being due in April. It would be cool if her baby and the Cambridge baby were born the same day.

As for H&M's absence, the Cambridges spent their first easter as a married couple in Scotland with C&C, perhaps H&M are in Scotland.

Interesting! This is the first I'm hearing of Zara being due in April. It would be cool if her baby and the Cambridge baby were born the same day.

As for H&M's absence, the Cambridges spent their first easter as a married couple in Scotland with C&C, perhaps H&M are in Scotland.

As I understand it Zara is due anything from April to July. Nobody knows how far she was along when she announced. On the assumption she was 3 months she would be due July. That puts her at 6 months-ish now. :flowers:

I suspect that Zara was further along than three months when her pregnancy was announced, since it was announced that she was pregnant in late 2015 (I think?) and sadly she suffered a miscarriage after the announcement.

ETA:
The miscarriage happened in December 2016.

I figure she was at least 4 to 5 months along when they announced.

LaRae

I must say I am shocked to not see Philip. I guess when they said he was retiring from public duties, I didn't realize he would also be absent from private events like Easter Service or bigger deal, all hands on deck events like the CW Service.

Truly the passing of an era. I hope he is in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom