British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This event says nothing about princess Beatrice's place in public and private precedence. Catherine and Sophie were hosts of this event, Beatrice helped them.

It was a public engagement and so public precedence applied - and that was seen here quite clearly.

Imagine if the Queen or Camilla had been there - would they have been pushed back behind the 'hosts' - no - public precedence would apply.

We have seen that often enough when the Queen has been hosted somewhere by Charles - Charles didn't take precedence over his mother as the host but took his precedence from the public precedence he holds.

This evening, March 8, Queen Elizabeth hosted a private dinner in honour of the diamond jubilee of the Aga Khan's leadership as Imam of the Shia Ismaili Muslim Community. Together they posed for some photos at the Oak Room at Windsor Castle.
Also present were the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Anne and husband Tim:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:

This evening, March 8, Queen Elizabeth hosted a private dinner in honour of the diamond jubilee of the Aga Khan's leadership as Imam of the Shia Ismaili Muslim Community. Together they posed for some photos at the Oak Room at Windsor Castle.
Also present were the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Anne and husband Tim:

** gettyimages gallery **

I bet the Number One topic of discussion was racehorses!

Last edited by a moderator:
[Not sure if right thread]

According to the government, no member of the BRF is to attend the 2018 World Cup in Russia following the most recent diplomatic spat with Britain.

It was inevitable that the Duke of Cambridge would no longer attend the World Cup in Russia, after the [inevitable] conclusion that agents of the Russian State have attempted to murder a British citizen [and his daughter] on our Sovereign territory, using Nerve agents outlawed WORLDWIDE, and manufactured in the Russian Federation.

I think it is possible that Britain may invoke article 5 of the NATO treaty [that an act of aggression against one, is aggression against ALL], and that therefore a boycott of the World Cup, by participating Teams [not merely by officials and dignitaries], is a distinct possibility.

Last edited:
Heard the story today...21 folks are in the hospital and no one knows if they will survive??

Seems like the PM came just short of invoking article 5 ...Putin was sure quick to toss down the nuke threat.

LaRae

no one knows if they will survive??

MINISCULE amounts of this Nerve agent can be lethal..and those effects can take years to manifest [according to its 'co-inventor'].
Since this is the 2nd time an [ex] Russian British Citizen has been attacked here, by agents of Putin's [the last one died HORRIBLY], it is [rightly] being treated with the utmost seriousness, and our allies [or some of them] are properly 'onside'..

MINISCULE amounts of this Nerve agent can be lethal..and those effects can take years to manifest [according to its 'co-inventor'].
Since this is the 2nd time an [ex] Russian British Citizen has been attacked here, by agents of Putin's [the last one died HORRIBLY], it is [rightly] being treated with the utmost seriousness, and our allies [or some of them] are properly 'onside'..

I was in the car today and happened to hear a discussion on the radio about it. They went into quite a bit of detail. I guess the co-developer of this drug defected to the U.S. at some point and that's how we know about it and that it exists cause Russia didn't disclose that one to the UN (or whatever body governs the biological weapons).

They said the drug is 10 times worse/stronger than the V agent (sorry don't remember the numbers), has no cure and causes extreme pain. The purpose of it really isn't to kill but to cause fear/suffering...example to others. I guess the theory is they smuggled it into the U.K. via diplomatic pouch.

I would hope that all of the UK's allies would be on board about standing up to Putin and their methods.

LaRae

I would not call it a diplomatic spat. The Russian government attempted to murder British citizens for political reasons. I don't see how this isn't an actual attack, maybe even state-sponsored terrorism.

I was in the car today and happened to hear a discussion on the radio about it. They went into quite a bit of detail. I guess the co-developer of this drug defected to the U.S. at some point and that's how we know about it and that it exists cause Russia didn't disclose that one to the UN (or whatever body governs the biological weapons).

They said the drug is 10 times worse/stronger than the V agent (sorry don't remember the numbers), has no cure and causes extreme pain. The purpose of it really isn't to kill but to cause fear/suffering...example to others. I guess the theory is they smuggled it into the U.K. via diplomatic pouch.

I would hope that all of the UK's allies would be on board about standing up to Putin and their methods.

LaRae

I would hope so, too, but sadly I don't think this is the case.

This story comes straight on the heels of Russia, as a country, being barred from the Olympics because of state sponsored massive doping schemes for their athletes.

Is it possible that FIFA would remove the World Cup finals from being in Russia? I know its scheduled for June. My sympathies are for all the teams that are participating. They should be able to hold their finals without scandals and political issues surrounding them.

Is it possible that FIFA would remove the World Cup finals from being in Russia? I know its scheduled for June. My sympathies are for all the teams that are participating. They should be able to hold their finals without scandals and political issues surrounding them.

I very much doubt it. With millions invested on these events, FIFA wouldn't do it. At the end of the day they care about the money, not about politics.

At the same time, it's very unlikely Russia will ban England's team. It would be a PR disaster and I'm sure other national teams would would refuse to participate out of solidarity.

Is it possible that FIFA would remove the World Cup finals from being in Russia?

I think that's HIGHLY unlikely, since FIFA is renowned for the 'maverick' nature of it's decision, which are widely regarded as being [often] subject to corrupt Financial influence.
This was the case with the awarding of the World Cup to Russia this year, and [yet more so] for the award of the next world cup to Qatar [where temperatures reach 'unplayable' levels during the Month the matches are scheduled]..
Sanity [and decency] matter NOT a JOT to FIFA, the only thing 'that talks' is MONEY..

wyevale anything new come out today from the PM?

LaRae

anything new come out today from the PM?

23 Russian diplomats “identified as undeclared intelligence officers” expelled, and given one week to leave Britain.
There will be no attendance by ministers — or indeed members of the royal family — at this summer’s World Cup in Russia
Russian state assets frozen, wherever we have the evidence that they may be used to threaten the life or property of UK nationals or residents.
Pledge to “urgently” develop new legislation to give law enforcement the ability to detain those “suspected of hostile state activity” trying to enter Britain.
Such a power is currently only used against terrorism suspects.

Last edited:
Gosh I'd think their actions would already fall into the terrorism category....

LaRae

Today, March 14, The Prince of Wales hosted a reception on behalf of Queen Elizabeth to celebrate nursing in the UK. The Countess of Wessex as Patron of the Nursing Memorial Appeal and as Colonel-in-Chief of Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps attended as well:

** gettyimages gallery ** dailymail article **

Last edited:
Gosh I'd think their actions would already fall into the terrorism category....

LaRae
Make that "State Sponsored Terrorism". I am surprised that the UK hasn't pulled the national team for the World Cup, just as I am surprised that people call this "politics".

Using a nerve agent in a foreign country is terrorism and victims who may die in pain and what is the prognosis for those that may survive? Physically and mentally they will never be the same.

For this, I am so happy that there will be no royal representation from the UK

They may still pull them...as may other countries, as this goes along.

LaRae

They may still pull them...as may other countries, as this goes along.

LaRae

It has been posited that Russia's motive for doing this NOW, has been that the UK would withdraw the Team, thus allowing the Russians to claim 'sour grapes' because they 'won' the bid over London.
It is also in the immediate 'run up ' to the Russian Presidential Elections, and plays to Mr Putin's claim that A] he has 'reach' in 'the West', B] and that Russia is unfairly treated by that same 'West'.
It may be warped but this will play well with the average 'Ivan' on the street..

Last edited:
He's something else....

LaRae

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/nikki-haley-tells-u-n-russia-responsible-chemical-attack-n856701

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Wednesday the United States believes Russia is responsible for the attempted assassination of a former Russian double agent and his daughter in Britain — and the U.N. Security Council should hold the Kremlin "accountable."

"The United States believes that Russia is responsible for the attack on two people in the United Kingdom using a military-grade nerve agent," Haley said at a Security Council meeting in New York.

Haley said the United States stood in "absolute solidarity" with Britain after the country expelled 23 Russian diplomats in response to the chemical attack last week on the ex-spy, Sergei Skripal, and his daughter, Yulia.

Glad to hear this from our side of the pond.

LaRae

Suppose the Russians held a FIFA 2018 World Cup event and nobody came? What, if any, would be the repercussions?

Suppose the Russians held a FIFA 2018 World Cup event and nobody came? What, if any, would be the repercussions?

According to FIFA rules the countries that didn't turn up would be ineligible for the next world cup in 2022 - thus virtually handing it to Italy who failed to qualify this time ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom