British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catherine’s engagement tonight made the front pages of The Times, The Telegraph and The Daily Mail.

This is the BRF at its best IMO. Using its clout and influence to get the Anna Wintour and a collective of women using traditional techniques from the Cook Islands in the same room. A fantastic opportunity for designers from really far flung parts of the world. They should do something like this more often.

People on this forum moan about it all the time but events like these are much more important than going to fancy banquets on the Continent with royals the British people have never heard of.

I know why it didn't happen but this would've been a lovely event for Meghan to dip her toes into royal events apart from Harry.

This type of event is something I would want to attend. I had the same thought about Meghan ..it would of been neat for her to be able to attend as well.

LaRae

Until she is actually a royal that would be a no-no. Her precedence means she would have been a nobody there. That will change but at the moment she doesn't have the same clout.

I was pleased to see Kate enter first as it shows the difference between public and private precedence that people seem to not understand. Has this been at Sandringham then Beatrice would take precedence as the Princess born but in public she comes third - behind Willam's wife and the wife of a son of the monarch not based on her position in the line of succession.

Until she is actually a royal that would be a no-no. Her precedence means she would have been a nobody there. That will change but at the moment she doesn't have the same clout.

I was pleased to see Kate enter first as it shows the difference between public and private precedence that people seem to not understand. Has this been at Sandringham then Beatrice would take precedence as the Princess born but in public she comes third - behind Willam's wife and the wife of a son of the monarch not based on her position in the line of succession.

So public precedence is based upon the line of succession now while private precedence is the traditional list?

Also, I was surprised the Royal Family's Twitter actually gave Princess Beatrice credit. Usually when she's attending these receptions, they won't or she will get a tiny picture.

So if she were already married would Meghan come before or after Sophie?

LaRae

I acknowledged that I understood why it didn't happen but it would've been the perfect engagement for Meghan as she builds relationships with the other members of the family and gets used to the set up of a BP reception.

She could've joined the guests say 10 minutes before Kate and Sophie, no need to enter at the same time as them. The Queen wasn't attending so there was probably a more relaxed atmosphere.

Just because things have traditionally been done in a certain way doesn't mean they can't be changed - The Queen is a master at that, hence Meghan at Sandringham for Xmas.

So public precedence is based upon the line of succession now while private precedence is the traditional list?

Also, I was surprised the Royal Family's Twitter actually gave Princess Beatrice credit. Usually when she's attending these receptions, they won't or she will get a tiny picture.

No public precedence is more complicated than simple line of succession.

Sophie came in ahead of Beatrice due to the fact that she is the wife of a son of the monarch and so takes precedence ahead of a granddaughter of the monarch even though that granddaughter is higher in the line of succession than her husband.

Private precedence is set by the monarch of the day - and in 2005 the Queen changed it so that Princesses born royal take precedence ahead of those who marry it.

As this was a public event public precedence applied but had it been a private event then Beatrice would have taken precedence rather than being the last one in.

Ever since it was announced that the Queen had changed the precedence rules for women only events when in private people have been arguing about what it meant and some have even said it would apply whenever there are just women present. This event clearly shows the difference between public and private ... in public Kate comes first, in private Beatrice comes first (and as soon as there is a man present it is different again with the women taking their precedence as if all men were present.

Catherine is the senior royal. A video of the entrance. It’s Kate followed by Sophie and then Beatrice

Yep. Though from most accounts it would seem it was Sophie who was actually the most engaging of the night. Not that I am really all that surprised.

Nice to see the three of them together though. I enjoy seeing that.

Apparently Beatrice got a mention in the Court Circular for tonight’s engagement.

Miracle of Miracles

They not working royals but I am glad they getting official recognition. It is a shame though because Beatrice and Eugenie should be working royals and I will never understand why they are not. They pushed for the sins of their parents and two young blood princesses out there would be a plus for this family, but whatever.

This event says nothing about princess Beatrice's place in public and private precedence. Catherine and Sophie were hosts of this event, Beatrice helped them.

Beatrice helped them? I think she was simply a guest attending.

LaRae

This event says nothing about princess Beatrice's place in public and private precedence. Catherine and Sophie were hosts of this event, Beatrice helped them.

Not sure how she "helped" other than just being there. I am glad she was and it was recognized but she wasn't really hosting or anything.

Not sure how she "helped" other than just being there. I am glad she was and it was recognized but she wasn't really hosting or anything.
She did usuall royal things during such events: she welcomed guests, chated with them, asked questions about models, etc. Catherine and Sophie did the same things.

Sophie is such a pro. Frankly, both Kate and Beatrice could learn from her!

Nice to see Beatrice out and about.

All the ladies looked good IMO. I even liked Kate's Erdem. Kate has really popped! I expect that besides what has been announced, we will not see Kate much if at all in March. I think she is due in the next 4 weeks.

I expect that besides what has been announced, we will not see Kate much if at all in March. I think she is due in the next 4 weeks.

They haven’t lied about her due date the first two times, don’t think they’ll start now. And she was bigger with George and Charlotte before she went on maternity leave, so I believe she really is due in April. She looks about right for being 7 months along.
I expect her last official engagement will be March 17th for St. Patrick’s Day.
If she is feeling ok, we might see her going to church for Easter on April 1st if they go to Windsor again, but driving in a car.

They haven’t lied about her due date the first two times, don’t think they’ll start now. And she was bigger with George and Charlotte before she went on maternity leave, so I believe she really is due in April. She looks about right for being 7 months along.
I expect her last official engagement will be March 17th for St. Patrick’s Day.
If she is feeling ok, we might see her going to church for Easter on April 1st if they go to Windsor again, but driving in a car.

I wasn't saying they were lying...

I'm disappointed in the press, there isn't a single mention or image of Princess Beatrice, other than the one small Twitter video by Rebecca English. Why shouldn't it be discussed that she attended as well?

I'm disappointed in the press, there isn't a single mention or image of Princess Beatrice, other than the one small Twitter video by Rebecca English. Why shouldn't it be discussed that she attended as well?

Because the media and royal watchers dream came true; Catherine and Sophie attending an event together. Folks have been waiting for these two to do something together for seven years. They provided the money shots and focus.

Beatrice was placed on the back burner.

Yep. Though from most accounts it would seem it was Sophie who was actually the most engaging of the night. Not that I am really all that surprised.

Nice to see the three of them together though. I enjoy seeing that.

Not surprising Sophie was the best at meet and greet's really. She's been doing this for nearly 20 years as an HRH and was a PR woman before hand. This is her bread and butter essentially. Catherine definitely appears to be relaxing into the role over the last few years but she may not ever be as comfortable as Sophie at it. Some people are just better at meeting strangers than others.

It is always nice to see all three women together. It'll be nice to see Meghan attending these things in the future. I look forward to the day we see Camilla, Sophie, Catherine and Meghan doing a joint engagement.

Buckingham Palace tweeted a photo of Beatrice as well.

It was hosted by Kate and Sophie..not Kate, Sohpie and Beatrice. Naturally the focus was on the ladies hosting.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom