British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They flew on different flights. Harry and Charles arrived a day or so before William. William had Tiggy with him on the other plane.

They had to actually change the law in 1983 when Diana insisted on taking William to Australia and so the age was given as 12 and they stuck to that until the QM's death when they made an exception.

Does that mean that by that age William knew that he and his father both were future kings? I always wonder when royal children come to the realization of just WHO they are.

We have quotes from William while a pre-school - the one that they expected George to be attending this year - where he said that when he was king he would send people to the Tower etc. He was certainly aware by the time he was fourish. Charles also made comments when about 4 - 5 that showed he knew that was his future. It is therefore possible that George is already aware of that future or maybe still a few months or so away.

We know that Princess Margaret aged 6, asked her sister aged 10, if she would one day be Queen once their father became George VI which would show that she was very well aware by that age how the line of succession worked.

Certainly - unless he was extremely backward - William would have known he was the future King by the time he was 12. He was the eldest son of the eldest son so who else could there be. A simple study of history would have shown him that.

Edward VII was the last to not realise it before he was about 10 and that was because his mother was Queen and he was the second child. He didn't realise that boys came ahead of girls until it was shown to him probably with the children for Henry VIII. Since then the eldest child has been a boy or when a girl (Elizabeth) only had a sister so the understanding came much earlier than for Edward VII.

One thing that was widely known at the time is that when William attended Eton (age group 13-18), he would walk across the river to Windsor Castle for Sunday tea with his Grandmother. Although we have no concise or confirmed evidence, it is believed that during these times, they were having "King lessons".

A young child growing up where a parent is King or Queen will be curious as to what mommy and daddy do and it would be a logical conclusion that the child would then know from an early age that he/she would be King or Queen someday just like mommy and daddy.

One of my favorite anecdotes about the then Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret was the one you pointed out, Iluvbertie. At the time their father became King, Margaret posed the question to her sister if that meant someday she'd be Queen. Elizabeth answered that it did and Margaret's response was "Poor you." Tells me both girls knew that their father wasn't exactly overjoyed at the time of becoming the King. :D

Harry reminds me more of the DoE as he gets older. The '3 princes' do show family resemblances to each other ...I see it in the way the younger two move ..strikes me of Charles at times.

LaRae

Roya Nikkhah‏ @RoyaNikkhah
The Duke of Cambridge & Prince Harry will present the inaugural @DianaAward Legacy Award honouring the legacy of their mother Princess Diana

Roya Nikkhah‏ @RoyaNikkhah
The @DianaAward ceremony at St James's Palace, May 18, will recognise 20 exceptional young people for their kindness, compassion and service

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal
On the 18th May The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will present the @DianaAward Inaugural Legacy Award at St James's Palace.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/851801556374745088

Any Easter pictures from St George's yet?

Videos:
Members of the royal family arriving at Easter service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor-
http://itnsourcenews.com/?SearchTerm=Royal family arrive at Easter service at St. George's Chapel

Royal Departure at Easter Service-
http://itnsourcenews.com/?SearchTerm=Queen departs Easter service at Windsor

This is the first time the Cambridge's have attended Easter Service at Windsor. Charles and his family stopped attending in the late 90's. Funny thing is I actually pictured them attending in my mind yesterday.

Of course Harry is with Meghan.

The DM got it wrong. The Cambridge's spent Easter with the royal family. Catherine curtsied to The Queen because its respectable protocol to do so. Not that she havent seen The Queen already that day.

Last edited:
It is always nice to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, but I was kind of hoping the Easter service would now on just be the Queen and her younger children's families attending, like an opposite version of the balcony appearance at the Diamond Jubilee or the Diplomatic Reception.

It is always nice to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, but I was kind of hoping the Easter service would now on just be the Queen and her younger children's families attending, like an opposite version of the balcony appearance at the Diamond Jubilee or the Diplomatic Reception.

I don't understand why. It's Easter. Families tend to get together. I think it's nice Kate and William joined them this year. HM and Prince Philip won't live forever.

The Diplomatic Reception is on behalf of the government. It's not a family thing. Charles and William are future Heads of State. Part of the job is meeting the foreign ambassadors. The Diamond jubilee was a one time thing. There is a big family balcony scene every Trooping.

People went crazy at Christmas when the Cambridges didn't go to Sandringham because the Queen is old. It could be her last Christmas. Now when they go to Easter with the Queen for the first time, people still complain [emoji848]

Like Christmas, Easter is a time for family. I always love seeing the extended family all together :flowers:

Do Charles and Camilla have some events coming up in Scotland? Or did they simply opt to spend Easter at Birkhall?

The Diplomatic Reception is on behalf of the government. It's not a family thing. Charles and William are future Heads of State. Part of the job is meeting the foreign ambassadors. The Diamond jubilee was a one time thing. There is a big family balcony scene every Trooping.

People went crazy at Christmas when the Cambridges didn't go to Sandringham because the Queen is old. It could be her last Christmas. Now when they go to Easter with the Queen for the first time, people still complain [emoji848]
When it come to the Cambridges, people (a very loud minority) always complain, and I'm so tired of it.

Who's the family standing outside when the Queen is leaving?

LaRae

It's the little kid giving flowers to the Queen family

Videos:
Members of the royal family arriving at Easter service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor-
Home - ITNSource News

Royal Departure at Easter Service-
Home - ITNSource News

This is the first time the Cambridge's have attended Easter Service at Windsor. Charles and his family stopped attending in the late 90's. Funny thing is I actually pictured them attending in my mind yesterday.

Of course Harry is with Meghan.

The DM got it wrong. The Cambridge's spent Easter with the royal family. Catherine curtsied to The Queen because its respectable protocol to do so. Not that she havent seen The Queen already that day.

Why then didn't the York girls curtsey?

The DM is actually correct. If it is the first time they have seen them that day, at a private event such as this, they do curtsey. If they have already seen her that day then they don't need to do so again.

The Yorks and Wessexes live on the Windsor estate and in all probability had seen the Queen earlier in the day while the Cambridge's drove up from London for the service. The children remained at KP.

I notice no one seems to be commenting on the fact that Charles and Camilla aren't at Windsor - not surprising as they tend to spend Easter in Scotland. My sources say that Camilla's family often join them there but not Charles'.

British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 -

The Wessexes bowed and curtesied when the Queen entered. It's on the video. You can also see Peter and Autumn do it too on the video. It's definitely on the first time seeing on the day. When Kate did it to Philip on the balcony during Trooping, she didn't to the Queen so she saw her already.

The kids could have just as easily be up in Windsor Castle with Nanny Maria. I would imagine the family would have a lunch after going to church. Savannah and Isla were probably there too.

Last edited:
When it come to the Cambridges, people (a very loud minority) always complain, and I'm so tired of it.

I was just talking about just the Cambridges, but they were the first to interrupt this scenario. I wasn't even talking about just the Wales branch. The Linleys and Chattos use to attend (I think) as well and when they stopped I thought the Queen had me made it like I as mentioned above.

Why then didn't the York girls curtsey?

The DM is actually correct. If it is the first time they have seen them that day, at a private event such as this, they do curtsey. If they have already seen her that day then they don't need to do so again.

The Yorks and Wessexes live on the Windsor estate and in all probability had seen the Queen earlier in the day while the Cambridge's drove up from London for the service. The children remained at KP.

The Countess of Wessex curtsied too. Look at the ITN SOURCE video. Most likely the kids were at Windsor with the rest of the family. The cousins get together, play and catch up.

I notice no one seems to be commenting on the fact that Charles and Camilla aren't at Windsor - not surprising as they tend to spend Easter in Scotland. My sources say that Camilla's family often join them there but not Charles'.

Charles and his family stopped going to Windsor for Easter in the mid 90's. This is the first time William has been there for Easter since then. The first time for Catherine too.

Last edited:
I don't understand. This is not a photo op! The Queen it not just the nominal Head of the CofE, she is well known as a devout practising Christian whose children were brought up attending church.

Traditionally her family, and often her extended family, join her for Easter and/or Christmas holidays and accompany her to Church. This Easter it was just the Phillips family whose riotous imps were probably running the Nannies ragged with George and Charlotte back at the Castle. The little ones don't join the adults at Church until they are old enough to sit through a service and not expect to be entertained.

As to paying respects to the Queen, the DF blathered on so much about Catherine and her curtsey and then her hat and totally failed to mention William standing right behind her and giving a wonderfully correct bow, nor did Sophie's elegant dip get a mention.

British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 -

I was just talking about just the Cambridges, but they were the first to interrupt this scenario. I wasn't even talking about just the Wales branch. The Linleys and Chattos use to attend (I think) as well and when they stopped I thought the Queen had me made it like I as mentioned above.

I don't think the Chattos and Linleys (now Snowdon) were Easter regulars. They still go to Sandringham for Christmas. It's not every year more like every other. David and Serena have the house in Provence so they may go there for holidays

Thanks for the links and videos!

Sophie, The Countess of Wessex, was the best-dressed.

Lovely to see all the family out for Easter and I'm glad the Cambridge's made an appearance. Every Easter is one closer to their grandparent's demise so I think the more time they spend with them the better.

What did strike me as odd was that Andrew walked much further ahead of everyone else (as he normally seems to do) and he didn't wait for the Queen and Prince Philip to arrive. He wasn't seen standing with the family waiting for the Queen. Even Edward seemed to be looking around before he went in and it wouldn't surprise me if he was looking for Andrew. I found that very odd of Andrew.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duke & Duchess & Prince Harry will host a tea party at Buckingham Palace for children of those who have died serving in the Armed Forces

TRH want the day to provide an opportunity for children to broaden their support networks among families with similar experiences

The 'Party at the Palace' will take place on 13th May and will be a fun and family focused event

https://www.royal.uk/duke-and-duchess-cambridge-and-prince-harry-host-party-palace

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal
More details announced for The Duke, Duchess and Prince Harry's 'Party at the Palace' on 13th May

https://www.royal.uk/party-buckingham-palace-be-held-armed-forces-families

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom