The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Majesty

Well, the RAF is only going to celebrate it's centenary once so it was the biggest fly past in 50 years I think. However, the heat coming up from to concrete and tarmac below would have added to their general discomfort.

Looking up into a bright blue sky with not a pair of sunglasses in sight would be no picnic and cause great squinting and frowning.

The things that tickled my fancy were:

Seeing Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence standing on the balcony wearing best naval dress uniform with medals and ribbons was a treat.

William moving Catherine along and motioning for Meghan and Harry to move forward for a cracking view of the fly past, shows a wonderful generousity of spirit.

The Queen watching the fly past with the unrestrained joy and excitement of a child.

Megan watching HM's excitement with a beautiful smile and eyes that sparkled every bit as much as HM's.

Harry looking exquisitely uncomfortable in his new RAF uniform.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
Tend to agree with jacqui24 here. Harry seems to have carved out a permanent spot in the second row. Same place he was for Trooping. Even though there was room to move up front he didn't seem inclined to do so. Meghan's just following his lead. Only time she moved behind was to allow HMQ to exit.
He always seemed quite tense on that balcony. I used to think maybe it's because of uniform, but I've seen him in lighter mood in his uniform elsewhere.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Aristocracy

I have to say, I really enjoy those few seconds of clips that show them before they walk out on the balcony and, in particular, I enjoy seeing Charles and Camilla in those clips. I know that Charles, in particular, can come across as a bit cold and stodgy and removed but I love how you always see him smile and appear to share a joke and pleasantries in those clips. I'm never sure if it's with family members or with staff opening the doors but it's nice to see those small glimpses of the man that I suspect he is behind closed doors. Camilla, too, always comes across so pleasantly in those small clips. There's always gossip about the RF not liking Camilla, Kate and Camilla having a spat, Camilla being kept away from the Cambridge kids, etc. but in these small glimpses it seems that none of that is true since she always appears to be smiling and making small talk with the family and the staff. Even clips like we saw last week of her waving to Charlotte when the helicopter was leaving KP...that's not the kind of thing that one does with a stepgrandparent one is uncomfortable with, especially not at so young an age and I love the fact that Camilla was happy to smile and wave back. Just my two cents but those humanizing clips of personal interactions always make things like this so much more fun for me to watch.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Just a theory on my part, but I was just to the left of the Victoria Memorial yesterday, watching the Fly-past at that very moment, amidst that vast crowd of appreciative well-wishers.

The dust thrown up from hundreds of thousands of Feet traipsing over the BONE DRY ground of both St James' and Green Parks was indescribable and quite uncomfortable to the eyes, and must have been more so to those high up on the Balcony. It seems likely to me that this was the cause of the grimaces.
London has has no rain for FORTY DAYS, and the lawns of the Parks are brown and completely parched..And there appears no prospect of Rain in the next weeks.
Good Glory! That explains someone's comment I recently overheard stating that England has become Mediterranean in it's weather recently (I assume not it's climate, quite yet).
Old 07-11-2018, 06:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The RAF Feu de Joie scared the crapola out of the Countess of Wessex-
Gun salute made Sophie Wessex jump on Buckingham Palace balcony | Daily Mail Online

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
The RAF Feu de Joie scared the crapola out of the Countess of Wessex-
Gun salute made Sophie Wessex jump on Buckingham Palace balcony | Daily Mail Online
So sweet! Been there, done that! Everyone else seemed totally abstracted out. I do like Sophie. Very genuine lady.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:25 AM
Administrator

The Duke of Kent and Prince Michael of Kent attended the International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire yesterday, July 13. Princess Anne joined the Air Tattoo dinner:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** rex gallery **
Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Majesty

The Queen has arrived in Scotland for the summer holidays and BP opens to the public tomorrow. That’s about it until the fall.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:16 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Time for a new thread!
British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018