The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

This afternoon, The Prince of Wales, on behalf of The Queen, hosted the final of the Buckingham Palace Garden Parties

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/De8P2JmWsAAZ8AT.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/De8PYSKVMAAgTNk.jpg

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...alace,_london?

Old 06-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Perhaps but it’s quite a small fish in a big pond, also do you get royal patronage’s of buildings? Genuine question. The centre is known for supporting community groups and has won several awards but I just don’t see what’s so special about it to warrant its opening by The Queen.
Don't forget the RF (or their staff) are quite good record keepers and are known to ensure towns and cities get high profile royal visits every 10 years or so. I think the last time the Queen visited Chester was part of the 2012 jubilee tour when she and Philip visited Chester Zoo, which actually isn't in the city itself. I think they were likely attracted by the bridge opening (a massive, billion pound project) and when liaising with the lord lieutenant's office it was probably pointed out that the theatre was due an "official" opening by somebody to. It may well be it was thought by somebody as appropriate or of greater interest given Meghan's past.

Also, if you look at some of the things the royals, including the Queen, visit they seem pretty "small time" to a wider audience but that doesn't mean they are important to those in the locality. Anyway, can you tell I'm from Chester so I'll get off my high horse and be glad we are getting such a high profile royal visit.

I wonder if they will stop off at the Duke of Westminster's Eaton Hall home at some point? It really is only 10minutes from where they will be.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Here are more photos of today's Garden Party. The Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Anne, the Duke of Kent, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were present:

** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Dapper Prince Charles is joined by the Duchess of Cornwall as he steps in for his mother the Queen to host a garden party... **
Old 06-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Rebecca English

Verified account

@RE_DailyMail
Follow Follow @RE_DailyMail
More Rebecca English Retweeted Rebecca English
Regards the royal train, it cost £900,000 to run in 2016/17 and was used just 14 times in 12 months. It is only available to the Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla - I'm not even sure that William, Kate or Harry will have been on it officially. So quite a first for #Meghan.

Wonder what it's like inside that train? And YAY royal walkabout with HMQ and DoS.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Remove direct photos and add links

Eaton Hall used to be quite something...

Now 'not so much'...

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/417075615474559059/

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/513903007453689795/
Old 06-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Rebecca English

Verified account

@RE_DailyMail
Follow Follow @RE_DailyMail
More Rebecca English Retweeted Rebecca English
Regards the royal train, it cost £900,000 to run in 2016/17 and was used just 14 times in 12 months. It is only available to the Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla - I'm not even sure that William, Kate or Harry will have been on it officially. So quite a first for #Meghan.

Wonder what it's like inside that train? And YAY royal walkabout with HMQ and DoS.
Very plain

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...nd-of-the-line

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Wait....did they do renovations on the home or something? It does look a home that you could see in any American neighborhood. Very colonial.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

England's Lost Country Houses | Eaton Hall

Read 'and weep'..
Old 06-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Majesty

I am very sorry (know this should be in the shared Royal engagements thread) but my search button just doesn't work (tried 12 times) so I can't put it there.

Rebecca English reports on her Twitter that the Royal train will be used for the Cheshire engagements, disembarking at Runcorn station. She says that the train has been used about 19 times in the past 12 months and it will be 'an eye opener' for Meghan. The train is generally reserved for the Queen, Duke, and Charles and Camilla and she isn't sure that Harry or William have ever been on it. So that's another first for Meghan!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RE_DailyM...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Courtier

Oh! I checked out the 'gallery'. It was magnificent and beautiful. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:54 PM
Majesty

Yes, weep indeed! It looks magnificent. However, it may well have not been so great to live in, a bit like BP. Aside from the expense of maintenance and need for masses of servants, it could well have been cold and draughty (inefficient fires) and with miles of corridors. I think it's notable that later Dukes preferred to live elsewhere.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I am very sorry (know this should be in the shared Royal engagements thread) but my search button just doesn't work (tried 12 times) so I can't put it there.

Rebecca English reports on her Twitter that the Royal train will be used for the Cheshire engagements, disembarking at Runcorn station. She says that the train has been used about 19 times in the past 12 months and it will be 'an eye opener' for Meghan. The train is generally reserved for the Queen, Duke, and Charles and Camilla and she isn't sure that Harry or William have ever been on it. So that's another first for Meghan!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RE_DailyM...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
William and Harry has been on the train. I know it’s been 20 years and some folks don’t remember, it was the Royal Train that took Diana’s body and family members back to Althorp for the burial. William has been on it again with engagements with Charles.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-06-2018, 12:43 AM
Majesty

So that was the train that was used twenty years ago! Thanks Dman!
Old 06-06-2018, 01:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Wait....did they do renovations on the home or something? It does look a home that you could see in any American neighborhood. Very colonial.
Yes, they did do renovations. This link shows the history of the hall

https://www.eatonestate.co.uk/our-he...-at-eaton.aspx

The Eaton Hall of the 70's was very modern and, to me, looks like a public library (at least it looks like the Queensland State Library). The current, altered, house looks more colonial like you say but like a modern building built to resemble the older style.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
William and Harry has been on the train. I know it’s been 20 years and some folks don’t remember, it was the Royal Train that took Diana’s body and family members back to Althorp for the burial. William has been on it again with engagements with Charles.
I don't remember the Royal train being used for Diana's coffin. I remember watching after the funeral as the hearse drove out of London to Althorp. I think only the mourners traveled by train for the burial so yes William & Harry have traveled on the train before.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth and the Duchess of Cornwall as Patron of Medical Detection Dogs attended the 10th anniversary celebration at The Royal Mews, Buckingham Palace, today, June 6:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Beaming Queen looks elegant in blue as she is accompanied by the Duchess of Cornwall to attend..**
Old 06-06-2018, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

When A picture is worth a thousand words :

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...8284085406.jpg

Lovely pictures of two women obviously very comfortable with each other ...
Old 06-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gudgeon View Post
Especially since neither BRF nor KP twitter have publicized Meghan attending this event (also odd, IMO, that KP twitter hasn't mentioned it).

Thx cepe!

And why should they? I get that she's new and shiny and all, but not everything has to be publicized
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
When A picture is worth a thousand words :

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...8284085406.jpg

Lovely pictures of two women obviously very comfortable with each other ...
What a sweet photo, it's so nice to see HM smiling like that.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Royal Highness

It always surprises me how very blandly decorated the royal train is. Not very plush is what I am trying to say.

Closed Thread