British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dman! The royals start arriving in the beautiful 1950 Rolls-Royce Phantom IV (the Queen's former state car from 1950 to 1977) and the 1986 Rolls-Royce Phantom VI at 1:04:00 in the video.

William, Kate and Harry arrives in their mordern cars at 1:07:10.

Charles and Camilla arrives in the 1977 Silver Jubilee Rolls-Royce Phantom VI (the Queen's former state car from 1977 to 2002) at 1:09:00.

The Queen and Philip arrives in the in one of the two 2002 Bentley State Limousine at 1:12:50. You can se Sophie, Kate and Theresa May curtsy to HM.

The speech is pathetic. I wonder who wrote it. "Peace and stability" have been sorely missing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Those countries/regions haven't had peace in centuries.

"Bring peace to Iraq"... For the love of God.. Hope she knows what exactly her troops helped bring..

She didn't say it was peace and stability in Iraq and Afghanistan, she said:
The Queen said it was with "pride" that the country honoured the contribution of those who served the nation, in a foreword written for the event's official programme in which she paid tribute to those who worked to bring "peace and stability" to Iraq and Afghanistan.

In addition to my videos in post 60 (and Dman's video) here are some more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVm7Rb8S_-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxSe3H0bdDs

Last edited:
The Cambridge's should start using the State Cars more, imo.

It's the Royal Victorian Order and I wondered the same. He's done that before but I always thought there was protocol to this.

Phillip, Charles and William aren't wearing orders

It's the Royal Victorian Order and I wondered the same. He's done that before but I always thought there was protocol to this.

thank you. Yes it seems odd that he is the only one wearing it.
Especially since he arrived with William...

It's all down to personal choice. I think he got the order due to his active military service too.

thank you. Yes it seems odd that he is the only one wearing it.
Especially since he arrived with William...
Well, he's the only one who got a neck one I think. William jumped straight to order of the garter and it's not worn arround the neck. I'm not sure of Phillip though

The Cambridge's should start using the State Cars more, imo.
Agree! But the cars that I mentioned in post 65 are the only ones (in addition to a Daimler from 1992) of the old-fashioned royal cars that are still in use (the others were given to museums). All these cars are stored at Buckingham Palace and since William/Kate uses to travel directly from Kensington Palace to events, It's easier for them to use the modern Bentleys. But they used the the Bentley State Limousine and the Silver Jubilee car (usually reserved for the Queen and Charles) for their wedding in 2011 and the 1986 Rolls-Royce Phantom VI for the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

Nice event.

Reading done by Harry
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/839871810665598978

Those with more knowledge, may I ask what medal is Harry wearing around his neck? And why is he the only one?
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...nel-at-a-reception-the-of-picture-id650435994
As mentioned above by other posters, It's the Royal Victorian Order (a the personal gift from the monarch). Harry was made a Knight Commander (KCVO) the second grade of the order in 2015.

The Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra, the Duke of Gloucester, the Duchess of Gloucester, Prince Michael of Kent, Sophie, Andrew, Edward and Camilla have all been made Knights/Dame Grand Cross (GCVO) the highest grade of the order.

Last edited:
I see the Earl of Ulster is also present - in the second row behind Edward. He saw active service in Afghanistan and Iraq

Lovely to see the video of it. Harry speaks very well. Nice that he was able to speak as opposed to William. Not that I mind William speaking.

LaRae

I would imagine that one reason that Harry spoke while William didn't would be for the sole reason that as the event was honoring and remembering those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for their crown and country in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Harry played a very up close and personal role himself with his tours of duty in Afghanistan and can identify with the losses the family and friends have suffered and was probably remembering those he knew that didn't make it home.

It wasn't about just the people who died but all who served during the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, Harry is still the obvious choice for a reading.

Harry appeared very moved during the reading he did and at other times too, probably remembering comrades. I think it's excellent that someone who actually served in Afghanistan, in a war zone, got to perform a part in the ceremony.

I see the Earl of Ulster is also present - in the second row behind Edward. He saw active service in Afghanistan and Iraq

I thought that looked like him! Thanks for clarifying this for me.

I do not think that my post contradicts your quote.
You wrote: The speech is pathetic. I wonder who wrote it. "Peace and stability" have been sorely missing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And I replied by writing: She didn't say it was peace and stability in Iraq and Afghanistan, she said:
The Queen said it was with "pride" that the country honoured the contribution of those who served the nation, in a foreword written for the event's official programme in which she paid tribute to those who worked to bring "peace and stability" to Iraq and Afghanistan.
And many of the fallen did work to bring "peace and stability" to Iraq and Afghanistan. Does this mean that there is peace and stability in Iraq and Afghanistan? Of Course not.

:previous:
... and I did not write "Queen Elisabeth said that there was peace and stability in Iraq and Afghanistan". I commented on the western regimes' failed campaigns in the aforementioned countries. That is all.

I did not write that you wrote "Queen Elisabeth said that there was peace and stability in Iraq and Afghanistan", but you wrote: ''The speech is pathetic. I wonder who wrote it. "Peace and stability" have been sorely missing in Iraq and Afghanistan.''

And then I thought (of course) that you meant/believed that the Queen said (no matter who wrote it) that there was peace and stability in Iraq and Afghanistan.

More pictures: Queen Elizabeth II Photos Photos - Dedication and Unveiling of the Iraq and Afghanistan Memorial - Zimbio

The Prince of Wales as Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Gurkha Rifles and Prince Harry presented Operational Service Medals to 2nd Battalion the Royal Gurkha Rifles in London today, March 14.
The battallion had returned from Operation Toral, the U.K. mission to secure key sites within Kabul, Afghanistan in December 2016.

** gettyimages gallery **

The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and Harry will attend the centenary commemorations of the Battle of Vimy Ridge in France on 9 April.

Video:
The Prince of Wales and Prince Harry present medals to the Gurkha Regiment at Buckingham Palace-
Home - ITNSource News

Some father-son bonding yesterday. A terrific photo from People magazine of a joint engagement yesterday. Harry joined up with his father Prince Charles to award operational medals to soldiers of the 2nd Battalion Royal Gurkha Rifles at BP yesterday. Prince Charles is Colonel in Chief of the Royal Gurkhas. Father and son look so proud to be with these brave men.

Prince Harry and Prince Charles Give Out Medals to Gurkhas

Nice to see the pair together. It's not often that Charles can have an engagement with one or both of his sons.

Great event, nice to see dad and son get to do an event together :)

I remember Harry in Nepal and his connection to the Gurkhas. I am sure it was something both father and son were happy to be part of.

The Battle of Vimy Ridge is what made Canada.

Prince Charles and his sons Prince William and Prince Harry will attend a ceremony for the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in France on April 9, Gov. General David Johnston announced Tuesday.

“Sharon and I are delighted to be joined by the Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry for the commemorations,” Johnston said.

According to Veterans Affairs Canada, events will be held in France and in Ottawa to mark the 100th anniversary.

A delegation of government officials will travel to the Canadian National Vimy Memorial, located in northern France, to participate in the commemorative events there.
Read more: Princes Charles, William, Harry to attend Vimy Ridge commemoration in France | CTV News

Last edited:
Australia most definitely had separate representation at Versailles. Billy Hughes, our PM was there and insisted on getting things for Australia (the country with the highest casualty rate as a percentage of combatant nations and the only country to have an army of volunteers throughout the war - no conscription for us).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom