British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-January 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I agree. I also think that the ony toy wasnt there by chance. Certainly the toy doesn't sit all the time in the Cambirdge's dining room:lol:. It was brought there because it is a gift from the Obamas. Well, we all were able to get a glimpse of their home and to see precious George:flowers:

All of this is very nice, but George in robe on a rocking horse is a bit much and so cliché imo ...
I'm cynical ? Maybe. At the end the picture is perfect, but a bit too much under control ...

Well, did one want the situation out of control? Official visit to the royal residences are always control and a bit staged. In fact, any visit to someone's home is a bit staged. It's best to have things under control.

The Cambridge's wanted to show the Obama's they appreciate the rocking horse and the 'Bo' dog toy as gifts to their children.

This visit may have been informal, but it was an official visit. The royals always roll out the official gifts on official visits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it. William and Catherine don't participate in official visits, and there are complaints. Now they DO participate in an official visit, hosting THE HEAD OF STATE FROM THE UK'S BIGGEST INTERNATIONAL PARTNER, and making him feel welcome and appreciated by show how their toddler son appreciates their previous gift, and there are complaints.

And, yes, I meant to shout.

They can't win. They cannot win. No one can-there are complaints no matter what, for everyone (not just W and C), every time. It's ridiculous.

I don't get it. William and Catherine don't participate in official visits, and there are complaints. Now they DO participate in an official visit, hosting THE HEAD OF STATE FROM THE UK'S BIGGEST INTERNATIONAL PARTNER, and making him feel welcome and appreciated by show how their toddler son appreciates their previous gift, and there are complaints.

They can't win. They cannot win. No one can-there are complaints no matter what, for everyone (not just W and C), every time. It's ridiculous.

People will just have to get used to them doing this. The Cambridge's welcomed a Head of State and First Lady to their official residence for the first time.

I don't understand the complaints either.

Well, I guess the Cambridge's are now getting the chance to share hosting duties with The Queen and Charles. The Royal couple and Harry have formed a relationship with the Obama's and share similar interests.

Now, let's be clear, I did not expect we would see the Cambridge's actual apartment on this visit. Then again, I know Kensington Palace is their official residence. They will likely host others here and William and Catherine have allowed cameras in before for interviews. I guess we will start seeing more of this in the future.

I think George being present was a very rare and special moment. The President and First Lady would never intrude on anyone's privacy, but I guess William and Catherine decided it would be nice for George to meet the Head of State and First Lady before he was off to bed. I think it was a very nice, kind and personal decision.

I'm just appreciative of the fact that our out going President and First Lady has been embraced by the British royals.

One have to excuse me, but I just can't but smile over this whole visit.

I think William Catherine and Harry were an obvious choice for hosting as they had all been entertained at the White House and involved in projects with the obamas in recent years... The invites games, huffington post, etc. I actually think it was a conscious effort not to have Charles host as it would have given that much more weight to what was an 'unofficial'visit to London.

And as for the stuffed animal and rocking horse being staged .....of course it was. No one (certainly not the Obamas) think those items are there all the time. It's what you do when company comes- you play with the toys, you wear the necklace, you show use and appreciation of the gift. Just good manners.

Well, I guess the Cambridge's are now getting the chance to share hosting duties with The Queen and Charles. The Royal couple and Harry have formed a relationship with the Obama's and share similar interests.

Now, let's be clear, I did not expect we would see the Cambridge's actual apartment on this visit. Then again, I know Kensington Palace is their official residence. They will likely host others here and William and Catherine have allowed cameras in before for interviews. I guess we will start seeing more of this in the future.

I think George being present was a very rare and special moment. The President and First Lady would never intrude on anyone's privacy, but I guess William and Catherine decided it would be nice for George to meet the Head of State and First Lady before he was off to bed. I think it was a very nice, kind and personal decision.

I'm just appreciative of the fact that our out going President and First Lady has been embraced by the British royals.

One have to excuse me, but I just can't but smile over this whole visit.

I perfectly understand your point, and i agree about the role of the Cambridges as logical hosts in the future.
But George saying hello to the potus could have been done privately, instead of that we had the photograph of the White House taking pictures of a toddler in robe, more or less exhibiting him to the world. I mean it doesn't fit with the Cambridges strict policy about privacy . It creates, i think, a dangerous double standard.
But, again, it's only my two cents.

This is hardly the first time they've allowed pictures of George to be released, though, is it? Meeting the President and First Lady seems to me to be 'special occasion' enough to release them. Although a 'private' dinner, it was public enough for them all to pose for pictures, so why not 3 pictures of little George?

If they start releasing pictures of him in the bath, or getting dressed in the morning or heading into the loo, then I'd agree that would be very strange given their previous stance on protecting their children's privacy.

Really William and Catherine are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I perfectly understand your point, and i agree about the role of the Cambridges as logical hosts in the future.
But George saying hello to the potus could have been done privately, instead of that we had the photograph of the White House taking pictures of a toddler in robe, more or less exhibiting him to the world. I mean it doesn't fit with the Cambridges strict policy about privacy . It creates, i think, a dangerous double standard.
But, again, it's only my two cents.

I understand what you mean. Although, all of this was done with the permission of William and Catherine and their officials, it could be seen a a double standard. Solutions to this though.

Last edited:

Whilst I agree that they cannot win.

This was not an official visit in the normal sense. Obama didn't stay in one of the palaces and took part in no official event with royals. He went to lunch with The Queen for her birthday. I don't quite understand why he had dinner with The Cambridges and Henry there was no need for it. Whilst both Henry and Catherine have ties to the USA, this dinner was specifically linked to either.

What I mean is if it had been announced that they were hosting the dinner in connection with the upcoming Invictus Games which Michelle has been a part of, that would make logical sense.

Having them over for dinner because they're friends also could make sense, but then why allow someone from the White House entry to your home to take some pictures?

These are my general musings and not specifically directed at you my dear. :flowers:

This is hardly the first time they've allowed pictures of George to be released, though, is it? Meeting the President and First Lady seems to me to be 'special occasion' enough to release them. Although a 'private' dinner, it was public enough for them all to pose for pictures, so why not 3 pictures of little George?

If they start releasing pictures of him in the bath, or getting dressed in the morning or heading into the loo, then I'd agree that would be very strange given their previous stance on protecting their children's privacy.

I agree with all of these points. :flowers:

In a way yes, because i think they are still balbutiating in their communication and still don't know how to find a good balance between the royal duties and the private life.

British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-

Well stated. Meeting the President and First Lady was a special occasion for George. It was hardly a run of the mill private dinner party. And for that occasion, they moved the toys the Obamas gave him to the living room so George could play on them/thank them. It was a private dinner, but it was with very public people. And they took photos before the dinner without George. I thought it was a nice gesture. And yeah nice PR all around. Obviously, the Obamas and RF genuinely like each other though. So, while a bit staged for the event, not faked either.

Anyway, as you said, the privacy issue would be different if they started releasing videos or pics of their kids all of the time in strictly private situations- like bath time, story time, etc. This didn't seem strictly private. And it's not like they never release photos of George or he's never seen in public. They release pics for certain events- birthdays, certain holidays or special events- like when Charlotte was a newborn, going to school the first day, family vacation--this was another special event.

They're going to get criticized no matter what they do....which is probably why William makes comments like- he doesn't ignore criticism, but doesn't take it all to heart either. He can't.

I do get some of the confusion I read up-thread though. It was a private dinner. There was nothing official about the visit. But there are photos from the private visit. Yet, at the same time, while they seem to be friends with each other, like each other-they're probably not close, personal friends. It's not that private of a visit or of a relationship. Their relationship, while genuinely friendly, is likely largely based on their public lives. So, hence the photos. Not sure if that makes sense. I guess I can just see releasing photos of this private dinner party given the people attending it.

Last edited:
Is it inconceivable that the President's office might have requested for there to be photographs released from the evening? I ask this because we are so ready to assume that this was all planned by William & Kate's team to raise their profile. There are other possible scenarios which could be to do with the initial planning of a schedule from the Government in conjunction with Buckingham Palace. There is a real cynical mood surrounding the Cambridges which I find very sad.

Someone on Twitter said there was a presidential photographer there

Pete Souza is his name

Last edited:
Is it inconceivable that the President's office might have requested for there to be photographs released from the evening? I ask this because we are so ready to assume that this was all planned by William & Kate's team to raise their profile. There are other possible scenarios which could be to do with the initial planning of a schedule from the Government in conjunction with Buckingham Palace. There is a real cynical mood surrounding the Cambridges which I find very sad.

Their offices and officials put the technical stuff together. Both camps (The Cambridge's and the President) agreed on the pics. White House photographer and somebody who works at Kensington took the pics, I believe.

Last edited:
Perhaps the photos that were taken before the dinner were to emphasize that this was just an informal dinner and had nothing to do with any political or governmental business at hand for that day. They were all dressed pretty casual, the kid was there (hopefully not being too overly political) and it reflected a relaxed, easy going atmosphere.

What it really emphasized most to me is that all the people in the room have had connections with each other before and as someone had mentioned in an earlier post, were meeted and greeted at the White House previously and this gave them the chance to reciprocate. Do I expect this level of friendship to continue once Obama leaves office? Probably not. They will have fond memories of times together though. W&K&H have decades of meeting and entertaining various VIPs ahead and most likely will host many, many more dinners at their KP residence in the years to come.

Just think. Someday should George reach his 90th birthday, the photo of him and President Obama very well might be one that is included in a tribute. That's what makes it so endearing. At least to me it does.

Is there anything whatsoever wrong or improper about these photographs? I'm waiting to hear why they are at all controversial.

Looks like a nice evening for everyone, and the picture of George with the President will someday be displayed along with pictures of Prince George or King George meeting a dozen other US Presidents.

The Cambridges weren't being phony or hypocritical, and Obama wasn't being pushy, just his usual charming self.

No toddlers were harmed during the filming of this dinner party.

Perhaps the photos that were taken before the dinner were to emphasize that this was just an informal dinner and had nothing to do with any political or governmental business at hand for that day. They were all dressed pretty casual, the kid was there (hopefully not being too overly political) and it reflected a relaxed, easy going atmosphere.

What it really emphasized most to me is that all the people in the room have had connections with each other before and as someone had mentioned in an earlier post, were meeted and greeted at the White House previously and this gave them the chance to reciprocate. Do I expect this level of friendship to continue once Obama leaves office? Probably not. They will have fond memories of times together though. W&K&H have decades of meeting and entertaining various VIPs ahead and most likely will host many, many more dinners at their KP residence in the years to come.

Just think. Someday should George reach his 90th birthday, the photo of him and President Obama very well might be one that is included in a tribute. That's what makes it so endearing. At least to me it does.

Well, with their shared interest, they just may continue this friendship post presidency. Especially with Mrs. Obama paring up with Harry on the Invictus Games.

The photos of the President and George is very much historical. A future King meeting his first President at the age of 2.

Last edited:
I am sure George one day will smile that he got to meet Obama. He may be a bit embarrassed, as many kids are by their childhood photos, that he was in his pajamas for the world to see (at least most people's embarrassing photos are private in the family except at their wedding maybe :)). But right now he is not even three. He wont have known who the man was and there was likely part of him wondering who these odd people were he was meeting, and why he wasn't having his story time before bed.

Looks like a nice evening for everyone, and the picture of George with the President will someday be displayed along with pictures of Prince George or King George meeting a dozen other US Presidents.

It did. It looked like everyone had a pleasant evening.

Yep. This is the first of many pics of George meeting US presidents. This might just be the cutest one though. George in his little bathrobe and slippers with the President squatting at his level is just too cute.

And once again, I have had to edit and delete posts. As I stated in my earlier moderator note, this thread is not for political discussion. Any further talk about Brexit, the speech given by the POTUS and any other political elements of the visit, will be be deleted.

Last edited:
Adorable.

That's the best way to describe President Obama and the first lady's meeting with Prince George, the 2-year-old son of Prince William and Duchess Kate. The president thought so himself.

"I guess you all know why I came this week," he said Saturday during a town hall in London. "It's no secret. Nothing was going to stop me from wishing happy birthday to her majesty, or meeting George, who was adorable."

The Obamas met the young prince before having dinner with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry at Kensington Palace on Friday. When they arrived, they found Prince George standing near the foyer and dressed for bed.
President Obama Glad He Met 'Adorable' Prince George - ABC News

William and Catherine were receiving bad press as workshy and lazy so some positive PR was needed.

The White House wanted some positive press so Obama meeting the William and Catherine was a win win.

Throw in George for good measure and a private dinner inside Apt 1A and all positive PR.
William and Catherine's London home is courtesy of the tax payer so a few photos from inside the 'apartment' to appease the public..

A successful PR move all around.

The photos were taken in the 'public' rooms of Apt 1A and not the private rooms. Their tax payer funded home is shown being used for what it was attended, to hold meeting with public figures. The President of the United State and The First Lady was an obvious choice.

If the Obamas had visited George in the nursery to watch him play on the rocking horse, that would have been invading his 'private space'.

Creating a photo op with George on the rocking horse was positive PR all around.
Throw in Harry and all positive PR that lends itself to the 'casual' get together which started with the Queen meeting the President of the United Stated in her headscarf, followed by Prince Philip driving them.

Last edited:
Recently Harry joined Wills to tour the Star Wars set. This is right after William came back from India.

I hate it when Harry joins William (or Kate for that matter) on royal visits. Harry is real, William & Kate are phony, phony, phony. And it looks like they are using Harry to boost their own pr. And to make matters even WORSE: they think we are so stupid that they are getting away with it.

I just hate it when they do royal visits together!!! [Grumpy]

:previous: I suppose William and Catherine shouldn't have had Harry over to Apartment 1A at Kensington Palace to dine with the President and First Lady of the United States?

Harry has met the Obamas before, Michelle a couple of times before, both at the White House and away from it. How do we know that the Cambridges didn't want Harry there to lighten the atmosphere of the dinner party with his fun and jokes. Michelle Obama probably appreciated seeing him. They greeted each other with a kiss, like old friends.

As the three of them form the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry and they have interacted with the Obamas several times related to their foundation's interests along with several other causes, it just made sense to me that the three hosted the dinner party.

Harry has met the Obamas before, Michelle a couple of times before, both at the White House and away from it. How do we know that the Cambridges didn't want Harry there to lighten the atmosphere of the dinner party with his fun and jokes. Michelle Obama probably appreciated seeing him. They greeted each other with a kiss, like old friends.

Honestly I think it would have been odd not to include Harry since he was in the UK and as you pointed out all three have known the First Couple for some time now. I agree that it was likely a pleasant evening for all.:)

I don't mind seeing the trio especially when they are performing engagements on behalf of their royal foundation. To me it is no different than when other royal siblings and their spouses are together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom