British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-January 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a relaxed atmosphere at Kensington Palace this evening with the Obamas.(Love the pre-dinner photos)

The photos of George meeting the Obamas are adorable.

Last edited:
Just a reminder...this thread is not for discussing politics.

The photos of George meeting the Obamas are adorable.

They are very cute. BTW didn't the Obamas send a rocking horse to the Cambridges when George was born or am I thinking of another gift?

aren't those pictures just precious? george looks adorable in his evening gown and pijamas :) i guess it was almost bedtime for him. shame we didn't get a glimpse of charlotte!
i love how they distributed these pictures which are kind of private, and that we get a glimpse of the meeting and start of the dinner and of the interiors of their house - which looks lovely.

Last edited:
They are very cute. BTW didn't the Obamas send a rocking horse to the Cambridges when George was born or am I thinking of another gift?

Yep, the Obamas gave him that rocking horse.

I think the stuffed animal on the coffee table (are they called "coffee tables" in the UK?) was also a gift, as it is a replica of Bo, one of the Obama dogs.

I can't handle all this cuteness we've had over the past couple of days! First with the group photo of HM and the children, and now with these photos of George and the Obamas. :) I love the photo in particular of Catherine with George on the rocking horse, but the photo of George talking with Barack Obama is a sweet moment, too. The toy dog on the table was a lovely detail, too.

From looking at their interactions on this visit, I personally get the impression that the Obamas are fairly close in the terms of friendship with HM, Prince Philip and the Cambridges.

Bath time... then meet Obama: Prince George becomes star of Kensington Palace party after greeting the leader of the free world while wearing his monogrammed dressing gown and slippers

• Dinner ends a busy schedule of high-profile events and meetings for President of the United States and First Lady
  • This 'informal' gathering is the first time that any of the young royals have entertained a head of state privately
  • After posing for pictures, the royal trio and their guests retired to William and Kate’s private 22-room apartment
  • Prince George met the U.S. President and played on a rocking horse the Obamas had previously given him as a gift
  • Earlier today he met with the Queen for lunch at Windsor Castle and later described her as 'a jewel to the world'
  • At a press conference at the Foreign Office he stood alongside Prime Minister David Cameron to warn against Brexit
By Anthony Joseph for MailOnline and Rebecca English Royal Correspondent For The Daily Mail
Published: 13:35 EST, 22 April 2016 | Updated: 17:43 EST, 22 April 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
George looks cute in his dressing gown and pjs, and love the rocking horse. However, this event just looks rather awkward and terribly, terribly staged to me, down to the appearance of George and the carefully placed presents the Obamas have sent him. Odd for a couple (the Cambridges) who, it's inferred, don't like putting their children on show for the cameras.

:previous: I have to agree. Even if Michelle wanted to see the kids, there was no need for the photos. Which were over staged considering the toys (the dog given to George when Charlotte was born). I guess we are to assume it was just conveniently left there by George as it is one of his favorite toys.

I'm afraid it all looks rather awkward, as it nearly always does on social occasions with people who don't know each other very well. To me it looks staged, down to the carefully placed toys the Obamas sent George (the rocking horse and stuffed dog.) Rather odd behaviour from a couple who dislike their children being placed before cameras or receiving undue public scrutiny. George looks a bit bewildered, to be honest.

George looks cute in his dressing gown and pjs, and love the rocking horse. However, this event just looks rather awkward and terribly, terribly staged to me, down to the appearance of George and the carefully placed presents the Obamas have sent him. Odd for a couple (the Cambridges) who, it's inferred, don't like putting their children on show for the cameras.

Well, I assumed the photos were staged, and that it was a way of saying "thank you" for the gifts. I'm sure they intentionally got the gifts out because the Obamas were coming (sort of way that, if one's grandmother is coming to visit, one might decide to wear a sweater that was a gift from the grandmother). I took it as a polite gesture, anyway.

George is just too cute in his pajamas and bathrobe. Though I sort of wonder if, when he's, he might be a bit embarrassed that he was wearing pjs when he was introduced to the President. :lol:

I love the pictures of the Obamas with the Cambridges and Harry. They all look like they're dressed for a relaxed date night, which I hope they all enjoyed.

The pictures of George are just absolutely adorable in his pajamas. I think it's nice that George got to "thank" the Obamas for their gift. Very sweet.

These photos were taking by White House photographer Pete Souza (The one w/ the Obamas inside KP)

Of course they took out the gifts the Obamas gave to show that they and George appreciated their gesture.

However, they look quite relaxed, and little Prince George looks like a normal little kid who is meeting an adult for the first time. He could probably tell that something special was going on because of the cameras and the fuss with dinner.

I don't know if people know, but POTUS has a photographer with him a lot to document the presidency and release photographs to let people know what he's doing.

Bringing out the Obama's gifts is the equivalent of when there is a state dinner and the palace will setup a display of items in the Royal collection from that country.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Bringing out the Obama's gifts is the equivalent of when there is a state dinner and the palace will setup a display of items in the Royal collection from that country.

Even though this was quite an informal dinner and not a full blown state occasion, what the Cambridges did with their gifts received is no different than what millions of other people do with their gifts which is to display them prominently when the giver is visiting. Its called a show of appreciation. Same thing with George meeting the Obamas before bedtime. I remember many times as a kid being introduced to my parent's guests before being hustled off to bed. Early lessons in social graces and sometimes sneaking out of bed and peeking from the top of the stairs to see what was going on that I was missing.

All in all, I think the Cambridges and Harry and the Obamas probably had quite a few topics of conversation that they were all interested in and made for a congenial dinner. Updates on the Invictus Games, whats been happening with United for Wildlife and probably several other joint ventures that these people have worked together on. They aren't strangers by any means.

The dinner party seems to have been a success. We got pictures from a royal trio hosting a President and First Lady of the USA to dinner and introducing their royal child who will one day be King. Isn't this what the media has been clamoring for? W&K&H step up to the task and prove that they're more than capable in my book.

Quite nice that Prince George briefly met the Obamas to personally thank them for the gifts they had sent him. After all, the Queen arranged for the Obama daughters to ride in a carriage at BP when Michelle and the girls visited a couple of years ago.

Beautiful photos. This dinner must have meant a lot to William and Catherine to have the President and First Lady to their home. Also, to allow cameras into their residence. Although, this isn't the first time cameras was invited into their home. Catherine conducted her interview for 'The Queen at 90' in this same room. I think William has given an interview from their too. If I'm not mistaken.

I did have a laugh at putting out the rocking horse they gave George ...Oh yes he loves it rides it all the time .. Funnier still I'm sure Obama didn't even know what he gave as a present.

A credit to William to pull this off. 2nd in line hosing a head of state.

I hope everyone know that the Cambridge's will be hosting many other officials in their home in the future. Especially when they are the Prince and Princess of Wales. I know some folks are giving the royal couple some slack for this. Charles does this at Clarence House, and The Queen does this at all her Residences, except Sandringham.

I did have a laugh at putting out the rocking horse they gave George ...Oh yes he loves it rides it all the time .. Funnier still I'm sure Obama didn't even know what he gave as a present.

The rocking horse is an official gift from the President and First Lady to Prince George. I think it's stored in the Royal collection. They probably brought it out for this visit. It will likely be brought out again for future US State Visits or Exhibitions.

Last edited:
I'm afraid it all looks rather awkward, as it nearly always does on social occasions with people who don't know each other very well. To me it looks staged, down to the carefully placed toys the Obamas sent George (the rocking horse and stuffed dog.) Rather odd behaviour from a couple who dislike their children being placed before cameras or receiving undue public scrutiny. George looks a bit bewildered, to be honest.
It is totally staged, and is clear to me that William defines when the privacy of his children is being intruded. So George in the park on his kick board is bad bad paparazzi business but George in his pj's at home is fine because the potus is around and the pictures create so much positive headlines for the Cambridges to get rid of the workshy image :whistling::whistling:

It is totally staged, and is clear to me that William defines when the privacy of his children is being intruded. So George in the park on his kick board is bad bad paparazzi business but George in his pj's at home is fine because the potus is around and the pictures create so much positive headlines for the Cambridges to get rid of the workshy image :whistling::whistling:

Do people seriously not get the difference?

One is an instance where people are taking pictures of a child without his parents consent. The other is an instance where people are taking pictures of a child with his parents consent.

If your child is at the park do you really want a complete stranger taking pictures of him/her? Would you not view it differently from forcing your kid to wear something cute so you can take a picture of them with a dinner guest (or in this case, having a third party who you've invited into your home as well take the pictures)?

What is it about the Cambridges being royalty that makes people think that any degree of privacy isn't allowable, and consent is unnecessary?

All of this is very nice, but George in robe on a rocking horse is a bit much and so cliché imo ...
I'm cynical ? Maybe. At the end the picture is perfect, but a bit too much under control ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom