British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-January 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter 6m6 minutes ago
While I fully support maternity leave as a former RAF wife it would be great to see Kate attend the Battle of Britain Anniversary next Fri.

I agree.

Considering she is going to Wimbledon on the Wednesday it's odd for her not to go. Although part of me is rather happy she isn't going as the press will actually focus on the event and it's importance, rather than Kate's sartorial choices. (I am sure, however, that her absence will generate an article or two.)

Someone on another thread mentioned moving The Duke out of his Wimbledon role as he was dour and not very royal. Well, I just want to say, for all these years he has been a faithful supporter of the tennis, often in years when the rest of the family seemed to have no interest. He and the Duchess obviously love the sport. I hope they continue as sponsors for years to come. Of course, they are largely ignored by the press. See this photo from the DM: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/01/18/2A24229A00000578-3146080-image-a-4_1435771037777.jpg

Considering she is going to Wimbledon on the Wednesday it's odd for her not to go. Although part of me is rather happy she isn't going as the press will actually focus on the event and it's importance, rather than Kate's sartorial choices. (I am sure, however, that her absence will generate an article or two.)

The press will always focus on what Catherine is wearing, so one can't pay much attention to that.

I too find it odd that she's not attending, but will go to Wimbledon. Tennis is great and I understand her love for it, but there are times I wish there was more substance to Catherine's roles and duties. The Battle of Britain Anniversary is an event she should be attending.

Someone on another thread mentioned moving The Duke out of his Wimbledon role as he was dour and not very royal. Well, I just want to say, for all these years he has been a faithful supporter of the tennis, often in years when the rest of the family seemed to have no interest. He and the Duchess obviously love the sport. I hope they continue as sponsors for years to come. Of course, they are largely ignored by the press. See this photo from the DM: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/01/18/2A24229A00000578-3146080-image-a-4_1435771037777.jpg

I think the organization fully appreciate The Duke of Kent and Duchess of Gloucester's support and roles at Wimbledon over the years. I do think the roles need to be refreshed though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why?

I don't understand this constant desire the throw away people because they are older. It is a waste of experience and knowledge.

Why?

I don't understand this constant desire the throw away people because they are older. It is a waste of experience and knowledge.

Not sure it's about throwing anyone away because they're older. I think The Duke of Kent and Duchess of Gloucester have done very well in supporting Wimbledon, but I don't think it would hurt for another royal to come in and take on the role due to a smooth transition.

Not sure it's about throwing anyone away because they're older. I think The Duke of Kent and Duchess of Gloucester have done very well in supporting Wimbledon, but I don't think it would hurt for another royal to come in and take on the role due to a smooth transition.

I don't think there is any need to replace the Duke of Kent or Duchess of Gloucester, but if there is, Camilla has been a keen attender at Wimbledon since marrying Prince Charles. maybe she could take it on:whistling:

I don't think there is any need to replace the Duke of Kent or Duchess of Gloucester, but if there is, Camilla has been a keen attender at Wimbledon since marrying Prince Charles. maybe she could take it on:whistling:

Perhaps, but she don't attend that often. I think The Duchess of Cambridge would do nicely in that role.

Camilla was attending Wimbledon long before marrying Charles. Infact, Camilla and her sister regularly attended Wimbledon in the 1960s and 1970s long before Catherine was born. Camilla and her sister stopped attending because family obligations got in the way.

Now her children are grown, Camilla can go back to attending Wimbledon.

Perhaps, but she don't attend that often. I think The Duchess of Cambridge would do nicely in that role.

They asked Sophie a few years ago but she politely declined, trying to avoid the continued similarities between herself and Diana.

Or maybe Sophie was not interest in tennis.

She attends horse events quite often.

If could be more a case of wanting to bond with her mother-in-law and not enjoying tennis rather than trying not to be compared to someone else.

If could be more a case of wanting to bond with her mother-in-law and not enjoying tennis rather than trying not to be compared to someone else.

Yeah, I think it may have something to do with that, but nothing to do with Diana. Diana loved tennis. She played and attended Wimbledon regularly, but never got involved with any official role. That was the Duchess of Kent's duties back in those days.

They asked Sophie a few years ago but she politely declined, trying to avoid the continued similarities between herself and Diana.

I think you may mean the Duchess of Kent and not Diana. Diana never played an official role at Wimbledon, but the Duchess of Kent did.

Last edited:

Sophie definitely has an interest in tennis, and has had for a long time, to my understanding (in fact, she met Edward because she was asked to stand in for someone at a Real Tennis event).

That said, I'm not sure the story about Wimbledon is true - sounds a bit tabloid-y to me (or at least, her excuse for not being involved).

I think you may mean the Duchess of Kent and not Diana. Diana never played an official role at Wimbledon, but the Duchess of Kent did.

No, I definitely did not mean the Duchess of Kent. :D

Sophie definitely has an interest in tennis, and has had for a long time, to my understanding (in fact, she met Edward because she was asked to stand in for someone at a Real Tennis event).

That said, I'm not sure the story about Wimbledon is true - sounds a bit tabloid-y to me (or at least, her excuse for not being involved).

It is of course tabloid-y but I do imagine she was asked.

Wimbledon want the Countess of Wessex

The nreason Catherine isnt attending is that she is not an Honorary Air Commodore. Explained in this article by Richard Palmer (about half way down past the bit about tennis courts). He actually found out why.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are set to go to Wimbledon quarter-finals | Royal | News | Daily Express

I thought you might.

There are other members of the royal family - despite what the Daily Mail might think, not everything has to be about William and Kate.

REgarding future President of the All England Club. This is a role where someone has to give up a fortnight to attend. No "senior" royal is in a position to do that. HMQ might get away with a week at Ascot but in these more critical times, I dont think 2 wks at Wimbledon is realistic.

Junior branch has got away with it. So perhaps in the longer term, Edward or Sophie would be a good choice.

I think that a senior royal will always be Royal Patron as the Queen is currently.

Another source said Prince Philip had been the driving force behind the royal line-up at the 75th anniversary event. “He wanted a full turnout of honorary air commodores,” the source said.
Philip getting his way :D

It explains why Catherine isn't going but I wonder why Anne is going as she is an Honorary Air Commodore.

Philip getting his way :D

It explains why Catherine isn't going but I wonder why Anne is going as she is an Honorary Air Commodore.

Anne is Hon. Air Commodore of Royal Air Force Brize Norton and University of London Air Squadron

The nreason Catherine isnt attending is that she is not an Honorary Air Commodore. Explained in this article by Richard Palmer (about half way down past the bit about tennis courts). He actually found out why.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are set to go to Wimbledon quarter-finals | Royal | News | Daily Express

So Catherine is getting bashed for not attending an event that Philip never invited her to. Why am I not surprised? :ermm:

It reminds me of when William hosted the Centrepoint Gala Dinner at Kensington Palace in 2013. Catherine was never scheduled to attend but the media and "fans" called her every name in the book because they didn't get cute pictures of her with Taylor Swift. Doesn't she know that her life should be controlled by obnoxious strangers? Who cares about facts when cute pictures are at stake?

Last edited:
So Catherine is getting bashed for not attending an event that Philip never invited her to. Why am I not surprised? :ermm:

It reminds me of when William hosted the Centrepoint Gala Dinner at Kensington Palace in 2013. Catherine was never scheduled to attend but the media and "fans" called her every name in the book because they didn't get cute pictures of her with Taylor Swift. Doesn't she know that her life should be controlled by obnoxious strangers? Who cares about facts when cute pictures are at stake?

No one knew the real cause of Catherine not attending until now. That wasn't clear early on.

No one knew the real cause of Catherine not attending until now. That wasn't clear early on.

It was already known that she was on maternity leave. She obviously hasn't resumed regular engagements (she's only been at Trooping the Colour). I really don't know why that isn't explanation enough.

It was already known that she was on maternity leave. She obviously hasn't resumed regular engagements (she's only been at Trooping the Colour). I really don't know why that isn't explanation enough.

I think people were thinking that since this is kind of a special occurrence and not your run of the mill engagement Kate might make an appearance with what looks like a good number of her in-laws - particularly since they made an announcement about how she'll be at Wimbledon.

It would be unfair of us if William was going to an event for one of his charities and people were saying how they hope Kate goes too or how they're disappointed she isn't going. But this isn't just one of his charities - this is kind of a big thing that stands out a bit. It seems to be a bit more in line (to me) with the Trooping or Remembrance Day than your typical engagement so it's reasonable to wonder if Kate might attend it despite her maternity leave - she did, after all, attend the Trooping, and doing the occasional big family engagement like this one isn't going to prevent her from being a mother.

Women on mat leave may get a chunk of time off (how much varying depending on who and where they are), but that doesn't mean they just spend the whole period bonding with the baby. Kate doing a sporadic engagement here or there because it's a big deal wouldn't take away from her maternity leave, and people wondering if she might and being disappointed if she doesn't isn't actually a criticism of her.

I think people were thinking that since this is kind of a special occurrence and not your run of the mill engagement Kate might make an appearance with what looks like a good number of her in-laws - particularly since they made an announcement about how she'll be at Wimbledon.

It would be unfair of us if William was going to an event for one of his charities and people were saying how they hope Kate goes too or how they're disappointed she isn't going. But this isn't just one of his charities - this is kind of a big thing that stands out a bit. It seems to be a bit more in line (to me) with the Trooping or Remembrance Day than your typical engagement so it's reasonable to wonder if Kate might attend it despite her maternity leave - she did, after all, attend the Trooping, and doing the occasional big family engagement like this one isn't going to prevent her from being a mother.

Women on mat leave may get a chunk of time off (how much varying depending on who and where they are), but that doesn't mean they just spend the whole period bonding with the baby. Kate doing a sporadic engagement here or there because it's a big deal wouldn't take away from her maternity leave, and people wondering if she might and being disappointed if she doesn't isn't actually a criticism of her.

Oh, yes, I do realize this is a special occasion. There's just been a discussion of Kate's maternity leave going on in more than one thread (and I was responding to someone who I knew was part of that discussion), and this isn't the first time in recent weeks that some have started questioning why Kate hasn't been at a variety of events.

Yes, I absolutely realize that Kate doing occasional engagements right now is fine/normal. I just see such occasions as the exception rather than the rule - I operate under the assumption that someone on maternity leave is most likely not going to be at an engagemen, but it's nice to see them if they are there. To me, there's no need to explain/justify her absence beyond that, but I've found that some feel differently.

For once i REALLY don't understand why Kate is not here. I know about the "maternity leave" but i honestly think it's a pretty bad move to be absent for two major state occasions (today and the 7/7 ceremonies) and to be in the centre of the royal box in Wimbledon in the very same week.
I was ok with the logical and official explanation (Honorary Air Commodores only) but since Sophie showed up, it doesn't make any sense !

Last edited:
For once i REALLY don't understand why Kate is not here. I know about the "maternity leave" but i honestly think it's a pretty bad move to be absent for two major state occasions (today and the 7/7 ceremonies) and to be in the centre of the royal box in Wimbledon in the same week.
I was ok with the logical and official explanation (Honorary Air Commodores only) but since Sophie showed up, it doesn't make any sense !

She wasnt there because Price Philip invited Hon Air Commodores only. Sophie is an Hon Air Commodore (RAF Wittering) as is Princess Alexandra.

I posted about this before but here is the link to the article confirming the reason. About half way down

She wasnt there because Price Philip invited Hon Air Commodores only. Sophie is an Hon Air Commodore (RAF Wittering) as is Princess Alexandra.

I posted about this before but here is the link to the article confirming the reason. About half way down

Exactly! But it would have looked better if the women were in uniform as well since now they look like spouses and not like they're there in their own capacaty.

Aaaah now it makes sense, thank you! I genuinely didn't know about Sophie and her honorary rank in the RAF.
My bad !
Kate if you're reading this, i'm sorry :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom