The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Ok, thanks. I thought it was something like that. Had William and Kate gone before?
No, this will be their first time attending. I had wondered why they didn't attend in the past, but I guess the most important thing is they're attending now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
^I'm looking forward to seeing them all at that event. I wonder if any other royals will be in attendance?

On February 24th, William, Kate and Harry attended a dinner at Kensington Palace for their Royal Foundation.
It is rare for any of the other royals to attend other than The Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla. The Commonwealth Observance Day - whatever that is anyway (I only learnt it ever happened when I joined this site as there is no such acknowledgement in this Commonwealth country that makes the news - the Commonwealth to most Aussies simply means the four yearly Commonwealth Games and nothing more).

Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

It is nice to see the Cambridges attending. The Wessex's went last year but I thinkbthar was because it was Edward's birthday. Rare, as iluvbertie said, for others to attend. The Cambridges are likely attending as Catherine's last engagement before she goes on maternity leave.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Wessex's usually attends every year with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and Charles and Camilla. It's good that William and Catherine are starting to attend now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-27-2015, 11:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@RoyalCentral: Members of The Royal Family will attend the Service of Commemoration to mark the end of operations in Afghanistan at St Paul's on 13th March

@RoyalCentral: The Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles & Camilla, Duke & Duchess of Cambridge & Prince Harry will attend the commemoration at St Paul's.

@RoyalCentral: The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex and The Duke of Gloucester will also be in attendance.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 1h 1 hour ago
The Queen will now attend a service marking the end of combat operations in Afghanistan. Initially, Prince Charles was to be the main royal

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The Queen To Attend Afghanistan Service Of Commemoration
Article

It's always great to see the whole family out at events.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

The service at St Paul’s Cathedral and the parade will be broadcast live on BBC One from 1030 on 13 March-
Your News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Gallipoli Centenary Commemorations:

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duke of Cambridge, will be present at the wreath laying ceremony at the Cenotaph in London to commemorate the Centenary of the Gallipoli Campaign and Anzac Day on the 25th of April. Her Majesty and Their Royal Highnesses will later attend the Service of Commemoration and Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey.

The Prince of Wales, accompanied by Prince Harry, will attend services in Turkey to commemorate the Centenary of the Gallipoli Campaign and Anzac Day on the 24th and 25th of April.

The Duke of Edinburgh, Patron of the Gallipoli Association, will attend a wreath laying service at St Paul's Cathedral in London on the 25th of April.

The Princess Royal, accompanied by Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, will attend the Anzac Day Dawn Service at Wellington Arch on the 25th of April.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Nice to wee the family commemorating this event, although I wonder why Andrew, Camilla, Edward and Sophie aren't doing anything....
Old 03-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Probably because it isn't that big a campaign in the overall history of WWI. Around 10,000 ANZACs died, along with 34,000 British, 7000 French, 1300 from India and even 49 Newfoundlanders. It was a massive defeat for the Allies and didn't achieve any of its goals. From the Allied perspective it was a disaster so it makes sense that most of the royals will be ignoring this event.

To Australians and New Zealanders it has an important part of play in our History as it was the first time that we fought in a major campaign in the war and for Aussies actually the first we fought actually as Australians (in the Boer War the troops had represented their colonies and not the nation as a whole). My great-grandfather died at Gallipoli so I grew up with a feeling that it was where my grandmother lost her father (she was just past her 6th birthday when he died).

I am pleased that we will be able to commemorate this event here, at home without the need for some representative of a foreign royal family being sent here. They can go to Gallipoli to acknowledge the British war dead of course as well as go to services in the UK but they have to commemorate a massive defeat and the seeds of a lot of distrust between the Aussies and the Brits - they landed us on the wrong beach which contributed to our high casualty rate and then later in the campaign sent wave after wave of young West Australians to be slaughtered at Lone Pine (watch the Mel Gibson movie 'Gallipoli' to see how bad things were and the mistakes that the British made in that campaign).
Old 03-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Nice to wee the family commemorating this event, although I wonder why Andrew, Camilla, Edward and Sophie aren't doing anything....

Think Andrew could do something but not Edward and Sophie and Camilla might just tag along with Charles but it would be better if she didn't. It means so much to us Australians that I wouldn't want royals there just for show

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it is very wise for the BRF to stay away from Australia on the anniversary of the Gallipoli landings.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have no problem with them commemorating the British landings at Gallipoli on the 25th April - and there were more of them there than there were Aussies or New Zealanders (we only had one landing beach of the five actual invasion beaches. The others were handled by the Brits and the French). I would like them to stay away from any part of the Aussie commemoration, however and leave that to the Aussies. The NZers are welcome but if they wish to have their own commemoration separate from us that is fine as well.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

British Royals @britishroyals · 4h 4 hours ago
Monday 3.15pm: The Queen,DoE, Charles,Camilla, Will&Kate attending #CommonwealthDay Observance (UK's largest multi-faith service) at @wabbey

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-08-2015, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and Princes Charles are attending CHOGM in Malta November 27-29. There are some great pix in this article

Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, to come to Malta for CHOGM in November - timesofmalta.com

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and Princes Charles are attending CHOGM in Malta November 27-29. There are some great pix in this article

Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, to come to Malta for CHOGM in November - timesofmalta.com

According to Clarence House, Camilla will also be attending with the POW.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Westminster Abbey @wabbey · 31m
Preparations underway and posies are ready for their presentation to members of the Royal Family #CommonwealthDay
https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/574900894518607873

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton Commonwealth Day: Live updates as Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attend Westminster Abbey service - Mirror Online
Old 03-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

An Observance for Commonwealth Day

Westminster Abbey » An Observance for Commonwealth Day

Zimbio

Queen Elizabeth II Pictures - Commonwealth Service At Westminster Abbey - Zimbio