The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Or at least a photo of the royal family. It's a very important event and palace and press treats it like it's nothing. If William & Catherine weren't seen arriving and leaving by car last year, we wouldn't have known the event took place. The Court Circular only mentions the royals attendance but there are no pictures produced. At least release some photos. Is that asking for too much?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

From the perspective of HM - yes. She regards it as a private event that she is staging for the Diplomatic Corps to her court and so mentions it in the CC but other than that most of the time we don't even know it is happening as it isn't a public event - unlike a State Visit which is a public event and so there is coverage of that.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
From the perspective of HM - yes. She regards it as a private event that she is staging for the Diplomatic Corps to her court and so mentions it in the CC but other than that most of the time we don't even know it is happening as it isn't a public event - unlike a State Visit which is a public event and so there is coverage of that.
I think the event should be at least acknowledged with some pictures though. I have seen only a few past pictures of the event but nothing new and recent. I'm just saying that the other continental royals make sure that the public get a chance to see this important diplomatic event and the British royals treat it like it's nothing but small potatoes. We see all the other private receptions and get video clips of it on ITN Source but we get absolutely nothing from this event and I just think it's a shame.

We will never know if Catherine was awarded with the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II if there aren't any pictures. God knows it will never be announced and you can't get her and William to attend any State Banquets, where the Order is worn.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Royal Highness

Is this about seeing Kate in a tiara or Kate with or without the Family Order or about the event itself?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

I suspect that for many people it is about the BRF being on show for them rather than the fact that it is when the BRF acknowledge the Diplomatic Corps and that event has always been a private event for the BRF.

The other royals feel a need to show off all the time while the BRF are more subdued (which is interesting when it if the BRF that are seen as the stuffy ones but are in fact the ones who have less of the formal, glitzy events).
Old 12-02-2014, 12:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Is this about seeing Kate in a tiara or Kate with or without the Family Order or about the event itself?
I think it would be nice to see some pictures of the event. No one is saying that there should be 24/7 coverage. Also, yes, it would be nice to see Catherine in her regal attire for once. We'll never know she have the Order without a picture because it's never announced for which royal has it.

Quote:
I suspect that for many people it is about the BRF being on show for them rather than the fact that it is when the BRF acknowledge the Diplomatic Corps and that event has always been a private event for the BRF.

The other royals feel a need to show off all the time while the BRF are more subdued (which is interesting when it if the BRF that are seen as the stuffy ones but are in fact the ones who have less of the formal, glitzy events).
I don't think the British royals should be embarrassed or ashamed to show off their family heirlooms. It's suppose to be on show. It's the old time beauty that should be brought back.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-02-2014, 02:08 AM
Aristocracy

It's nice to see the royals in formal attire performing formal ceremonies. I really couldn't give a toss about what they wear or if there are tiaras or what not. I think it is an opportunity for the public to see some of the more ceremonial, formal duties that the BRF do. It is an opportunity for us to see or learn something new. Unfortunately the BRF can't get away from being stuffy, 'stiff upper lip' royals and this kind of thing just adds to that persona.
Maybe it's the Aussie in me, but it would be nice to see a little more openness in the BRF, it would give them more people appeal, especially here in Australia IMO

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 12-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

I too am an Aussie and I love the fact that we don't see them showing off their wealth and their glitzy stuff - they stay away from the celebrity and showboating that comes from those sorts of events.

They aren't so much stuffy as selective in when they let the public in.

They have a number of formal events during the year - this is the only official event which they don't share with the public. They do share the state visits and the state opening of parliament. The only other time we have ever heard that they ever wear tiaras, besides these events is the Christmas Eve dinner at Sandringham.

This event isn't a public event but a private event and private events should be just that. It is no different to the fact that we didn't see anything after William and Kate left the balcony and went to their reception. That was a private event and so is this one.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman

We will never know if Catherine was awarded with the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II if there aren't any pictures. God knows it will never be announced and you can't get her and William to attend any State Banquets, where the Order is worn.

I for one would be very surprised if she was given the order already as she isn't a full time Royal, nor does she do a lot of representing the Queen yet. The Queen isn't one for handing out orders like sweeties - you have to earn them. I don't believe Sarah ever received the family order or Princess Michael but I could be wrong.

I am glad that these events are private. The events are carried out for particular reasons and there is not really a need for the public to see them. The British royals show their tiaras and ball gowns at appropriate times (state dinners etc.). They are a private family but when pomp and pageantry is required, no one does it better than the British royals.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Michael and Sarah, DoY are the only 2 without the Family order from the Queen. Anne, Camilla, Sophie , Duch Kent, Duch Gloucester, Princess Alexandra all have it. Her Mum, Sister, Aunts all had one. Diana and Camilla got it about 2 years into their marriage.

Kate has the potential for 4 family orders if she out lives her husband -Elizabeth, Charles, William, George.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Princess Michael and Sarah, DoY are the only 2 without the Family order from the Queen. Anne, Camilla, Sophie , Duch Kent, Duch Gloucester, Princess Alexandra all have it. Her Mum, Sister, Aunts all had one. Diana and Camilla got it about 2 years into their marriage.

Kate has the potential for 4 family orders if she out lives her husband -Elizabeth, Charles, William, George.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I don't believe receiving the order has anything to do with marriage but more to do with service to the Queen, which Kate is yet to prove as she isn't full time Royal. That is absolutely fine as she has time enough to get the order and like you said. she will be getting a few more eventually. She definitely will not be getting the Victorian order for some time.

Anyway bald on topic as this is very off topic. I'm sure this event will have a big turn out of royal representation and I think that's good. The Queen has plenty of family members to assist her.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I too am an Aussie and I love the fact that we don't see them showing off their wealth and their glitzy stuff - they stay away from the celebrity and showboating that comes from those sorts of events.

They aren't so much stuffy as selective in when they let the public in.

They have a number of formal events during the year - this is the only official event which they don't share with the public. They do share the state visits and the state opening of parliament. The only other time we have ever heard that they ever wear tiaras, besides these events is the Christmas Eve dinner at Sandringham.

This event isn't a public event but a private event and private events should be just that. It is no different to the fact that we didn't see anything after William and Kate left the balcony and went to their reception. That was a private event and so is this one.
The public don't see much of anything during a State Banquet. It's hard to get any pictures from the procession and opening speeches and you have to squint to see any of the members of the royal family in the background or table. The only reason why you get to see The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Charles & Camilla in formal form is because the Opening State of Parliament is a major public and government event.

With the Diplomatic reception, no one knows which members of the royal family will be attending because it's not released as one of their official engagements. You have to be lucky enough to get any pictures of them leaving or arriving by car for the event and that's how you'll know who attended. Palace officials mentions nothing about it other than the Court Circular. The palace take no pictures of the event and the press mentions nothing about it either. It's like the event really don't exist.

Also, I would think Catherine has received the Royal Family Order by now. She has served The Queen in a personal way. The Royal Family Order isn't like other Orders and honours that take years to receive.

RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 4h 4 hours ago
Kate and Will might attend the Diplomatic Reception tonight aka the event where Kate wore a tiara. Just a possibility, nothing confirmed.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The public don't see much of anything during a State Banquet. It's hard to get any pictures from the procession and opening speeches and you have to squint to see any of the members of the royal family in the background or table. The only reason why you get to see The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Charles & Camilla in formal form is because the Opening State of Parliament is a major public and government event.

With the Diplomatic reception, no one knows which members of the royal family will be attending because it's not released as one of their official engagements. You have to be lucky enough to get any pictures of them leaving or arriving by car for the event and that's how you'll know who attended. Palace officials mentions nothing about it other than the Court Circular. The palace take no pictures of the event and the press mentions nothing about it either. It's like the event really don't exist.

Also, I would think Catherine has received the Royal Family Order by now. She has served The Queen in a personal way. The Royal Family Order isn't like other Orders and honours that take years to receive.

RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 4h 4 hours ago
Kate and Will might attend the Diplomatic Reception tonight aka the event where Kate wore a tiara. Just a possibility, nothing confirmed.
I agree about the RFO. If she hasn't received it yet, I would imagine she'll get it sometime next year. The only question is when will she attend an even that we'll get to see it.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 15m 15 minutes ago
My understanding has always been that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would not be attending tonight's Diplomatic Reception at BP....

.....the wait for an official engagement-related tiara picture continues! Surely the Cambridges must attend a State Banquet soon?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
My understanding has always been that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would not be attending tonight's Diplomatic Reception at BP....

.....the wait for an official engagement-related tiara picture continues! Surely the Cambridges must attend a State Banquet soon?
what an odd second tweet? Kate attended last year and was in a tiara. DRs, as you mentioned above Dman, are not official engagements for any of them as we never know who will/did attend unless we catch a photo or someone talks.

So I suppose no, we haven't had an "official engagement-related" tiara photo.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Martin @CourtierUK · 5m 5 minutes ago
Charles & Camilla at Diplomatic Reception, wearing the Cubitt-Shand Tiara (her family’s own)! - (from @royalfocus1)
https://twitter.com/CourtierUK/statu...99674359242753

RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 11m 11 minutes ago
“@royalfocus1: #Camilla...in a tiara attends a diplomatic reception... ” Some ppl have the right head for tiaras
https://twitter.com/RoyalKateDebate/...98951441600512

Rookie @royalfocus1 · 10m 10 minutes ago
No #DuchessofCambridge but a Glamorous #DuchessofCornwall at Buckingham Palace reception #Royals #Tiaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
what an odd second tweet? Kate attended last year and was in a tiara. DRs, as you mentioned above Dman, are not official engagements for any of them as we never know who will/did attend unless we catch a photo or someone talks.

So I suppose no, we haven't had an "official engagement-related" tiara photo.
I think it should count as an official engagement for senior members of the royal family who attend because it appears in the official Court Circular. I just find it odd that the event isn't in their official published schedule and little to no pictures are published. It's like it's an event the takes place under a deep cloud of darkness where no one can really know it's happening.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Martin @CourtierUK · 5m 5 minutes ago
Charles & Camilla at Diplomatic Reception, wearing the Cubitt-Shand Tiara (her family’s own)! - (from @royalfocus1)
https://twitter.com/CourtierUK/statu...99674359242753

“@royalfocus1: #Camilla...in a tiara attends a diplomatic reception... ” Some ppl have the right head for tiaras

Rookie @royalfocus1 · 10m 10 minutes ago
No #DuchessofCambridge but a Glamorous #DuchessofCornwall at Buckingham Palace reception #Royals #Tiaras

I think it should count as an official engagement for senior members of the royal family who attend because it appears in the official Court Circular. I just find it odd that the event isn't in their official published schedule and little to no pictures are published. It's like it's an event the takes place under a deep cloud of darkness where no one can really know it's happening.
I completely agree. I think if they attend, then it's an official engagement.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Some people just have the 'something' and I believe this so much with the DoC - (and I'm so glad I got over my teenage attitudes - all those years ago - in order to appreciate how much she brings to the BRF)
Old 12-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

From what we can see in the car, Camilla looks lovely and she always make sure the photographers can properly photograph her. She don't shy away from being seen at either informal engagements or formal. She loves the camera and sometimes the camera loves her too.

I think she brings a great deal of grace and dignity to the royal family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
I completely agree. I think if they attend, then it's an official engagement.
Of course, it's absolutely official engagement.

Simply they don't announce it, they send personal invitations for all guests.

Closed Thread