British Royal Family Current Events 7: January 2014-April 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is the thread to discuss last night's Festival of Remembrance or not- if not- mods please move!
I loved The Queen's gown, and was amazed the DOE did not fall over from the weight of medals!

Martin @CourtierUK · 3h 3 hours ago
The Queen will host the annual reception for the Diplomatic Corps on Tuesday. Big royal turnout needed for what is largest palace reception.

Martin @CourtierUK · 3h 3 hours ago
No photos will be released from event as it is also one of the few that press aren’t invited to. It’s also white tie, so tiaras all round.

I expect some paparazzi shots though... last year we were able to get some glimples of the cars...

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall walked to church at Sandringham this morning with four house guests. As they entered the church, they were joined by Princess Alexandra, who had arrived at the back entrance by car.

As they left the church after the service, the Earl and Countess of Wessex came from the back of the church and chatted with them for several minutes before the Prince, the Duchess and Princess Alexandra walked back to Sandringham House, chatting to onlookers.
The British Royals Message Board: Today at Sandringham Church
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I expect some paparazzi shots though... last year we were able to get some glimples of the cars...

Last year was the first time Kate attended and so some photographers camped outside to see her but that is not normally the case as the press knows that this is a private event with no press coverage.

Last year was the first time Kate attended and so some photographers camped outside to see her but that is not normally the case as the press knows that this is a private event with no press coverage.
But perhaps the Press hopes that Catherine will attend again and therefore camp again outside. It is really a Pity that the allow not any press at all at this reception.

Mo_Holland @Mo_Holland · 43m 43 minutes ago
The Queen will give an Evening Reception for the Diplomatic Corps at Buckingham Palace tomorrow. IC #tiaras #WhiteTie

It's a pity that no pictures are produced from this grand event. Once in a blue moon there are pictures but that's just once in a blue moon. We get so many pictures from other palace events but somehow when the royals are dressed in their state attire for the palace's very diplomatic event, the pictures disappear. I think it's done to drive the media crazy and because the British royals have become almost frighten to publically appear too grand.

There is very little to no information about the diplomatic guest who attended the event. The only way you would which senior members of the royal family attended is from the Official Court Circular and a few bad pictures of them arriving or leaving by car. I just find that down right sad and the British royals have a thing or two to learn their royal counterparts when it comes down to events like this.

Last edited:
Mo_Holland @Mo_Holland · 43m 43 minutes ago
The Queen will give an Evening Reception for the Diplomatic Corps at Buckingham Palace tomorrow. IC #tiaras #WhiteTie

It's a pity that no pictures are produced from this grand event. Once in a blue moon there are pictures but that's just once in a blue moon. We get so many pictures from other palace events but somehow when the royals are dressed in their state attire for the palace's very diplomatic event, the pictures disappear. I think it's done to drive the media crazy and because the British royals have become almost frighten to publically appear too grand.

There is very little to no information about the diplomatic guest who attended the event. The only way you would which senior members of the royal family attended is from the Official Court Circular and a few bad pictures of them arriving or leaving by car. I just find that down right sad and the British royals have a thing or two to learn their royal counterparts when it comes down to events like this.

it would be nice even if they just released some shots from the court photographer after the fact -

it would be nice even if they just released some shots from the court photographer after the fact -

I agree. The Queen's photographer should be on hand for such an important diplomatic event. It would be nice if there was a group photo and perhaps even some video clips released. Unfortunately, this event happens without much of a official mention or press knowledge. Hopefully things will change up in the next reign.

Why do we have to compare royal families and the way they do things?

The BRF have their ways and they are different to the continental royals - but it suits them.

I think it is nice that there are different ways and appreciate that they are different.

I like the fact that the BRF don't see a need to show off all that they have every chance they get but rather than flaunt it keep these events low key.

The BRF have their ways and they are different to the continental royals - but it suits them.

I think it is nice that there are different ways and appreciate that they are different.

I like the fact that the BRF don't see a need to show off all that they have every chance they get but rather than flaunt it keep these events low key.

I made the comparison because I and many others like being able to see senior members of the royal family actually look royal once a year. I think we should be able to see the royals in the fine attire for a diplomatic event. The Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Belgian royals have it right when it comes to official state events like this. The British royals should learn to open up more and not be afraid to show themselves in their fine attire.

Trust me, everyone would love to see the British royals in such a setting.

I want [and expect] to see 'bang for my buck'...

To an extent, I agree - in fact each royal family have their own way of doing things and the comparisons are interesting. Take, for instance, the State Opening of Parliament - only the British and Dutch make it a grand event and even then the two countries do it differently.

But, I must say it would be nice if the general public got to know and understand how the diplomatic corps works or at least who the diplomats are and why they are here etc - imagine a whole evening of televised comings and goings with foreign dignitaries wearing interesting outfits just like they do in Denmark! Oh blow it- I only want to see the Duchess of Cambridge in a tiara and long frock once a year!!

This is an event for the Diplomats assigned to the Court. I've read that the Royal party leave early so that the guests can relax and have a good time. As Iluvbertie said, BRF do it their way. And have done it this way for yrs. Why the need to know everything about everything?

I agree. The Queen's photographer should be on hand for such an important diplomatic event. It would be nice if there was a group photo and perhaps even some video clips released. Unfortunately, this event happens without much of a official mention or press knowledge. Hopefully things will change up in the next reign.

According to Wikipedia, there are 174 Ambassadors and High Commissioners to the Court of St James. I'm not sure a group photo would be possible.

:previous: and they bring their partners!

Or at least a photo of the royal family. It's a very important event and palace and press treats it like it's nothing. If William & Catherine weren't seen arriving and leaving by car last year, we wouldn't have known the event took place. The Court Circular only mentions the royals attendance but there are no pictures produced. At least release some photos. Is that asking for too much?

From the perspective of HM - yes. She regards it as a private event that she is staging for the Diplomatic Corps to her court and so mentions it in the CC but other than that most of the time we don't even know it is happening as it isn't a public event - unlike a State Visit which is a public event and so there is coverage of that.

From the perspective of HM - yes. She regards it as a private event that she is staging for the Diplomatic Corps to her court and so mentions it in the CC but other than that most of the time we don't even know it is happening as it isn't a public event - unlike a State Visit which is a public event and so there is coverage of that.

I think the event should be at least acknowledged with some pictures though. I have seen only a few past pictures of the event but nothing new and recent. I'm just saying that the other continental royals make sure that the public get a chance to see this important diplomatic event and the British royals treat it like it's nothing but small potatoes. We see all the other private receptions and get video clips of it on ITN Source but we get absolutely nothing from this event and I just think it's a shame.

We will never know if Catherine was awarded with the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II if there aren't any pictures. God knows it will never be announced and you can't get her and William to attend any State Banquets, where the Order is worn.

Last edited:
Is this about seeing Kate in a tiara or Kate with or without the Family Order or about the event itself?

I suspect that for many people it is about the BRF being on show for them rather than the fact that it is when the BRF acknowledge the Diplomatic Corps and that event has always been a private event for the BRF.

The other royals feel a need to show off all the time while the BRF are more subdued (which is interesting when it if the BRF that are seen as the stuffy ones but are in fact the ones who have less of the formal, glitzy events).

Is this about seeing Kate in a tiara or Kate with or without the Family Order or about the event itself?

I think it would be nice to see some pictures of the event. No one is saying that there should be 24/7 coverage. Also, yes, it would be nice to see Catherine in her regal attire for once. We'll never know she have the Order without a picture because it's never announced for which royal has it.

I suspect that for many people it is about the BRF being on show for them rather than the fact that it is when the BRF acknowledge the Diplomatic Corps and that event has always been a private event for the BRF.

The other royals feel a need to show off all the time while the BRF are more subdued (which is interesting when it if the BRF that are seen as the stuffy ones but are in fact the ones who have less of the formal, glitzy events).

I don't think the British royals should be embarrassed or ashamed to show off their family heirlooms. It's suppose to be on show. It's the old time beauty that should be brought back.

Last edited:
It's nice to see the royals in formal attire performing formal ceremonies. I really couldn't give a toss about what they wear or if there are tiaras or what not. I think it is an opportunity for the public to see some of the more ceremonial, formal duties that the BRF do. It is an opportunity for us to see or learn something new. Unfortunately the BRF can't get away from being stuffy, 'stiff upper lip' royals and this kind of thing just adds to that persona.
Maybe it's the Aussie in me, but it would be nice to see a little more openness in the BRF, it would give them more people appeal, especially here in Australia IMO

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

I too am an Aussie and I love the fact that we don't see them showing off their wealth and their glitzy stuff - they stay away from the celebrity and showboating that comes from those sorts of events.

They aren't so much stuffy as selective in when they let the public in.

They have a number of formal events during the year - this is the only official event which they don't share with the public. They do share the state visits and the state opening of parliament. The only other time we have ever heard that they ever wear tiaras, besides these events is the Christmas Eve dinner at Sandringham.

This event isn't a public event but a private event and private events should be just that. It is no different to the fact that we didn't see anything after William and Kate left the balcony and went to their reception. That was a private event and so is this one.

Dman said:
We will never know if Catherine was awarded with the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II if there aren't any pictures. God knows it will never be announced and you can't get her and William to attend any State Banquets, where the Order is worn.

I for one would be very surprised if she was given the order already as she isn't a full time Royal, nor does she do a lot of representing the Queen yet. The Queen isn't one for handing out orders like sweeties - you have to earn them. I don't believe Sarah ever received the family order or Princess Michael but I could be wrong.

I am glad that these events are private. The events are carried out for particular reasons and there is not really a need for the public to see them. The British royals show their tiaras and ball gowns at appropriate times (state dinners etc.). They are a private family but when pomp and pageantry is required, no one does it better than the British royals.

Princess Michael and Sarah, DoY are the only 2 without the Family order from the Queen. Anne, Camilla, Sophie , Duch Kent, Duch Gloucester, Princess Alexandra all have it. Her Mum, Sister, Aunts all had one. Diana and Camilla got it about 2 years into their marriage.

Kate has the potential for 4 family orders if she out lives her husband -Elizabeth, Charles, William, George.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom