British Royal Family Current Events 5: July 2011-March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You will be happy again when the press have nothing but negative to say about them.

Nothing I have said implies that I want William & Kate to be criticised all the time as you seem to think.

I just want the press to be even handed - to praise when it's warranted and to critique when that is warranted. And that applies to all members of the royal family and not just to William and Kate.

On another thread I wrote: I have heard it said that William will 'modernize' the monarchy when he comes into his time on the throne. Maybe this is part of that? Portents of how it will be? Less fuss and bother about all that stuff pertaining to those whom William may feel were not supportive of his mother?

When posters indicated that they doubted William would be so crass - and that further he has accepted Camilla, I said: Good point - I take back what I said, or I modify it. I ascribed motive - shouldn't have done that. Colors the response. By 'modernizing' he may be less inclined for any fuss and bother about most things except the big-ticket items like Trooping of the Colours - opening of Parliament and the coronation. Stuff like that.

Would the public be at ease with a monarchy trimmed down that much?

I know why Iluvbertie is saying what she is - she has deeper knowledge than most - but I too fail to see overt signs of hostility. Its true that he just is not showing up. He's been gone awhile and when he returns he misses showing up at a high visibility event. It is passing curious - everyone else has a working excuse, he does not. It is a bit strange. This fascinates me because I do think there are indications that William is not going to be the kind of monarch people are expecting. I suspect he may do a lot of deconstruction of the monarchy. A hunch. It will be interesting to watch as the years roll along.

I disagree. I get the feeling that William wants to try and live as 'normal' a life as he can for as long as is practicable. He obviously wants to put off being a full time working royal for a while yet.

But, from what he's said publicly it's clear that he understands the importance of not only the role he will one day fill but the monarchy in general. Like Charles, I don't see him hugely altering the monarchy massively - I actually think the Queen has done the bulk of the modernisation herself. So, I don't see him doing away with any of Trooping the Colour, the Maundy Service, Remembrance Sunday, the State Opening of Parliament. He already takes part in Trooping, Remembrance Sunday and Garter Day. The British royals have far fewer tiara occasions than other monarchies so it's not like there's a load of fancy galas he could get rid of or strip down. He might have fewer 'grey men' around him, or be unwilling to pay myriad relations to assist him in his public duties, but I think all the fundamentals will stay the same.

The interview he gave on his 21st birthday was quite revealing. Interestingly, given our debate here, he defends his father quite vehemently:

"He does so many amazing things, I only wish people would see that more because he's had a very hard time and yet he's stuck it out and he's still very positive. He's very happy and protective towards Harry and me as well."

He also came across as somewhat annoyed at suggestions that he didn't want to be king:

"All these questions about do you want to be king? It's not a question of wanting to be, it's something I was born into and it's my duty. Wanting is not the right word. But those stories about me not wanting to be king are all wrong. It's a very important role and it's one that I don't take lightly. It's all about helping people and dedication and loyalty which I hope I have - I know I have. You only have to look at my grandmother and see the amazing things she's done. That to me is a huge inspiration - the work she's done and the work my father's done and a lot of the family. The monarchy is something that needs to be there - I just feel it's very, very important - it's a form of stability and I hope to be able to continue that."

In past interviews I've also heard him say things like, "If I'm going to be Head of the Armed Forces someday, then I feel I need to do my bit so I can command their respect". To me, that doesn't sound like a revolutionary, or someone likely to be complacent with the institution. It sounds like someone who gets it.

He has also described himself as "basically a conservative guy" so I can't see real sweeping changes although the monarchy has always been quite adaptable as required by the times. That has been on of the secrets of its survival, it adapts as needed.

Any changes I feel he's likely to make tend to be to make BP a bit more informal. He might feel that they could do with fewer footmen for example. It reminds me of Prince Edward talking about how there were 4 different departments involved in lighting the fires at BP. The Queen has simplified that sort of thing, and modernised the structure. I also doubt whether he'll want to continue the Queen's tradition of having a piper play for her outside her window every morning at 9am. I'd say he and Kate would probably also update Balmoral's Victorian interior somewhat.

Iluvbertie: I believe your beliefs are hogwash. You cannot read Prince William's mind nor can you slander his feelings for his family. Tut tut!! It's only your opinion...but your opinions are nasty and truly unnecessary.

Ilovebertie: your opinions are your own and you are entitled to them, just like everyone else on this forum. :smiles:

I don't believe anyone was questioning Iluvbertie's right to hold an opinion.
Rather, some members were disagreeing with the conclusions she has drawn from William's absence and were passing comment on those somewhat dogmatic conclusions and the unusual vehemence in which they were expressed.

Does anyone know long the Memorial Service had been on the court calendar? It may be a relatively new addition and other commitments had been made.Edward being out of the country on business seemed to show it had not been long time planned. Although,if William had to report back to Anglesey on Monday, W&K prob could have come home few days early. Not an egregious error, but prob not the best judgment call.

Lumutqueen said:
Since when is he very very rich? Last I heard this guy had just "retired" from his job and hasn't found a new one yet. He would have received inheritance from the QM, but I doubt that was enough to make him very rich. He might be the grandson of the Queen, but he's not titled, receive's very little privileges and leaves a normal life. Having 'an army of help' doesn't fit the personality of this couple, and help from your own sister is better than any Nanny. Training for the Olympics is a MAJOR deal, and Zara is a serious competitor who will go for those medals.

I was talking about the Queen being very very rich not Peter Philips. But he should have received some private inheritances which allow him to leave better than the average british salaried and consequently afford help at home.
Nevertheless, i found this discussion about the absences to the memorial meaningless, as i believe that IF the Queen considered it inportant, they ALL would have attend

i believe that IF the Queen considered it inportant, they ALL would have attend

Are you saying The Queen didn't think this service was important? And because The Queen is rich, doesn't mean she's going to pay for "an army of help" for Peter.

If she will be rich like some posters say she would pay for Peter's wedding. She didn't and they sold coverage to Hello probably to pay for wedding.

If she will be rich like some posters say she would pay for Peter's wedding. She didn't and they sold coverage to Hello probably to pay for wedding.

There's no doubt that HM is rich. We don't know if Peter asked HM to pay for the wedding, but somehow I doubt it. I thought they just sold pictures to Hello! because they could, not because it was to actually pay for it.

Most people I know do go to family memorial services. They don't insult their families by going on holidays instead as William has done. It is clearly a sign of his lack of regard for his father's family.

Imagine the outcry if he father had refused to attend the memorial service for Diana. It would have been totally unacceptable but it is acceptable for William to go on holidays rather than honour his great-grandmother and great-aunt - people who were particularly close to his father.

Sorry - that is evidence in itself that he doesn't hold his father or his father's family in high regard. Actions speak much louder than words and William's actions are at odds with his words.

I immensely respect that you are willing to voice an opinion, Iluvbertie - with conviction - that is not popular. It is a sense that I have gotten as well - that William is not quite 'there' - time will tell. In hindsight it will manifest whether the signs were there all along only ignored. Its an interesting perspective and adds spice to the discussion. Much prefer that to the bland vanilla of euphonious agreement.

So know there is one person who respects your opinion and your right to say it - as forcefully as you wish. :)

I don't believe anyone was questioning Iluvbertie's right to hold an opinion.
Rather, some members were disagreeing with the conclusions she has drawn from William's absence and were passing comment on those somewhat dogmatic conclusions and the unusual vehemence in which they were expressed.

It is interesting to me that you have decided to characterize a poster's posts that have a very unique point of view. A view that is not generally held, in fact - takes some courage to state - and your characterization proves that it takes courage to state. Iluvbertie has her reasons for feeling her opinions as certainly as she does - which makes her opinion all the more interesting and worthy of note. I think.

Last edited:
Lumutqueen said:
Are you saying The Queen didn't think this service was important? And because The Queen is rich, doesn't mean she's going to pay for "an army of help" for Peter.

No. I'm saying that the Quenn might not think that the presence of all was mandatory.
And i said clearly before that since the Queen's personnal huge fortune comes from her family, Peter Philips being part of this family should have inherited from this same family a confortable amount allowing him to afford life

There's no doubt that HM is rich. We don't know if Peter asked HM to pay for the wedding, but somehow I doubt it. I thought they just sold pictures to Hello! because they could, not because it was to actually pay for it.
I agree. I think both Peter and Zara are taught to paying for themselves.

You really think that it was the case? I was pretty sure that they made it for money. 150000 pounds could be very helpful with organization of their wedding. They could predict that selling the photos for weekly tabloid will cause some nasty comments. Why they risked?

You really think that it was the case? I was pretty sure that they made it for money. 150000 pounds could be very helpful with organization of their wedding. They could predict that selling the photos for weekly tabloid will cause some nasty comments. Why they risked?

I agree - there is no other reason to get Hello involved other than money. HM is rich but I doubt she pays for anything not state-related. It would have been Anne's job to pay and she will have had her reasons not to.

I've read that Anne told Autumn that she's old fashioned and believed he bride's family is responsible for the cost of the wedding, and that's that. Autumn is from a very average family, moneywise. She could have had a small cheap wedding but she would have been judged badly either way.

Does anyone know long the Memorial Service had been on the court calendar? It may be a relatively new addition and other commitments had been made.Edward being out of the country on business seemed to show it had not been long time planned. Although,if William had to report back to Anglesey on Monday, W&K prob could have come home few days early. Not an egregious error, but prob not the best judgment call.

From what I know - such events are planned a LONG time in advance. Edward had an important engagement that could not be cancelled (I guess it's difficult for the family to find a date where no-one has anything to do), but his wife attended. The Phillips family had a new baby the day before (something that, as long as it's a natural birth, can not be planned right on the day) and as the family is obviously close-knitted and down to earth, they (Zara probably) might been busy with looking after Savannah, visiting Autumn or whatever. Also, many members of the family who usually have a busy schedule, attended the thanksgiving service, so I doubt it was only planned one or two weeks before it happened. ;)

Whist the Memorial Service was only added to the public calendar last week, it would have been "graven in stone" within the family itself and would have been planned at least a year in advance to ensure that as many family members as possible had a clear diary for that day. The late addition to the calendar was merely notifying the public of a private occasion.

Obviously a "clean sweep" of BRF members calendars was an unrealistic expectation. However, Edward was "working", William and Kate were "playing". . . .

Big difference!

Huge!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whist the Memorial Service was only added to the public calendar last week, it would have been "graven in stone" within the family itself and would have been planned at least a year in advance to ensure that as many family members as possible had a clear diary for that day. The late addition to the calendar was merely notifying the public of a private occasion.

Obviously a "clean sweep" of BRF members calendars was an unrealistic expectation. However, Edward was "working", William and Kate were "playing". . . .

Big difference!

Huge!!!

Exactly, what we see is always only put in the calendar a few weeks before so not to have a crowded 6 month list of activities that can get confusing. There is no doubt, though, that this memorial service was one of those engagements that was planned more than a year before, given that everyone knows a 10 year anniversary is a major deal to be commiserated and a date with significance for the service is obvious in the case of a memorial service.

And, which has been mentioned too many times to count already, Edward and Zara and Peter had significant obligations that day, not a holiday after a few weeks of "work"...

BTW MARG, I love your quote at the end! :lol:

All this fuss reminds me of when Anne & Mark skipped Harrys christening at Windsor because she had planned to host a party at Gatcombe on the same day. People came up with all sorts of stories about real or imagined slights blah blah blah but Anne just carried on as usual and people seemed to get over it and find something else to chat about. There is always the "next story" when it comes to the BRF.

Last edited:
And, which has been mentioned too many times to count already, Edward and Zara and Peter had significant obligations that day, not a holiday after a few weeks of "work"...

What significant obligations did Zara have that day?

All this fuss reminds me of when Anne & Mark skipped Harrys christening at Windsor because she had planned to host a party at Gatcombe on the same day. People came up with all sorts of stories about real or imagined slights blah blah blah but Anne just carried on as usual and people seemed to get over it and find something else to chat about. There is always the "next story" when it come sto the BRF.

If I remember correctly, and if this story was true, I had read/heard at the time that Anne was annoyed that she wasn't named a godparent for Harry and avoided attending the christening by hosting that party on the same day.

What significant obligations did Zara have that day?

training for the Olympics which is 116 days away... :whistling: It's been mentioned several times on this thread. And there is the possibility she also lent a hand to her brother with little Savannah.

Personally, I don't think training is a "significant" reason to miss the service. As others have stated, this service was scheduled months in advance, so she could have rearranged her training schedule for the day - especially since the service only took a few hours. As for lending a hand with the new baby, didn't Anne attend? If the grandmother was able to make the service, I don't see why Zara couldn't. Plus, it's not like Peter and Autumn don't have other family members that could help out for a few hours.

Anyway, it hasn't even been established that Zara missed out for either of those two reasons.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think training is a "significant" reason to miss the service. As others have stated, this service was scheduled months in advance, so she could have rearranged her training schedule for the day - especially since the service only took a few hours. As for lending a hand with the new baby, didn't Anne attend? If the grandmother was able to make the service, I don't see why Zara couldn't. Plus, it's not like Peter and Autumn don't have other family members that could help out for a few hours.

Anyway, it hasn't even been established that Zara missed out for either of those two reasons.

For me it's more reasonable reason for absence than in William's case. Training is big part of Zara's job. She has important event ahead of her, she must prepare well, I'm sure she will do everything to get medal. Zara is very close with other members of family and I believe that she would attend it she could. She couldn't. William didn't wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom