British Royal Family Current Events 5: July 2011-March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it too! Can't tell positively but it looks like her thumb is over a no smoking symbol. I'm wondering now if when they're home together, does she send William outside if he wants a smoke these days? :D

no - her thumb is covering the London Underground logo

It's interesting that HM keeps inviting Kate to joint engagements like this. Is it to support Kate and indicate HM's confidence in her? To smooth the transition Kate has had to make into her new position in the RF? Or simply that she enjoys Kate's company? Most likely a combination of all three I suppose.

Did HM do many joint engagements with Diana/Fergie/Sophie when they joined the Firm? I don't particularly remember HM doing this sort of thing all that much, although I was born in 1985 so really only remember Sophie's joining the RF.

According to Richard Palmer of the Express, Catherine asked if she could attend today. He was told this by a BP Aide. I think it says a lot about the relationship between Catherine and HMQ if she feels confident enough to do this.

HMQ didn't do joint engagements with anyone before last year except Prince Philip. There were events when various members of the family attended, ie Ascot, Highland Games, Remembrance Evening event at the Albert Hall, butt not an official public engagement. I think it's a great idea and also enables events to go ahead if she is feeling tired or unwell.

Thanks all for the information about the button. I think I saw the No Smoking logo because smoking is still very much on my mind these days. 2 months without one and its actually not really been too bad.

What a great idea they are too for pregnant women. Gives a heads up to people to be considerate of moms-to-be should one need a seat. :)

I think that's what she's doing. Catherine & Sophie is given more support than what Diana & Sarah received.
From what I recall, both ladies complained of a lack of support during their early years in the BRF.
It appears that the senior royals realize that things needed to be different when introducing the new spouses to royal duties and are giving them extra support and time to adapt.

I guess we will see Catherine accompany The Queen on official engagements more often.

According to Richard Palmer of the Express, Catherine asked if she could attend today. He was told this by a BP Aide. I think it says a lot about the relationship between Catherine and HMQ if she feels confident enough to do this.

HMQ didn't do joint engagements with anyone before last year except Prince Philip. There were events when various members of the family attended, ie Ascot, Highland Games, Remembrance Evening event at the Albert Hall, butt not an official public engagement. I think it's a great idea and also enables events to go ahead if she is feeling tired or unwell.

Thanks for the info, cepe. So, maybe this is Kate's way of signalling that she's ready and willing to either accompany HM to engagements or take on some events that the Queen can't fulfil due to her health and age.

Ultimately, it'll be up to HM to decide if there are certain events that she's not going to be able to go to and ask others to fill in. The ball's in HM's court.

Last edited:
(snipped)

Ultimately, it'll be up to HM to decide if there are certain events that she's not going to be able to go to and ask others to fill in. The ball's in HM's court.

I love thinking that a woman in her late 80's is so large and in charge!

I guess her last illness convinced HM that she is mortal. In taking Catherine with her on a trip where Catherine has not to shoulder the whole responsibility of the occasion, not even half of it like when she does a joint engagement with William, Hm gives her occasions to get used to the public attention on knowing that the day might not be far off when Catherine will be the wife of the heir, not just the daughter-in-law of HM.

And maybe the family wants one of the younger Royals to accompany HM and the DoE in case something happens.... you never know. One of the family to look after granny and grandad....

I think it's great that Catherine is accompanying the Queen on engagements as it shows the Queen is supportive of Catherine and vice versa. It's also probably a way of the Queen showing she cares about Catherine and wants to help/support her and her new duties.

This event shows how absurd this whole royal thing is. I am having a laugh seeing the Queen and the DoE riding the tube - a prepared tube that is, clean and empty, has nothing to do with reality. And than Kate, who has been riding the tube as a common girl only a couple of years ago, it looks so ridicilous when she is walking through the empty station like the other two royal dinosaurs. Those royals are like aliens to reality, a few weeks ago Charles didnt even know how to use his oyster card, its so funny to see them experience something that is only for pheasants and then leaving in their chauffeur-driven cars back into their palaces. I am pretty sure this institution wont last another century.

This event shows how absurd this whole royal thing is. I am having a laugh seeing the Queen and the DoE riding the tube - a prepared tube that is, clean and empty, has nothing to do with reality. And than Kate, who has been riding the tube as a common girl only a couple of years ago, it looks so ridicilous when she is walking through the empty station like the other two royal dinosaurs. Those royals are like aliens to reality, a few weeks ago Charles didnt even know how to use his oyster card, its so funny to see them experience something that is only for pheasants and then leaving in their chauffeur-driven cars back into their palaces. I am pretty sure this institution wont last another century.

:lol: Posts like this make me re-examine what this website is actually called.

Also- pheasants ride the tube? I did not know. ;) The Queen, for me, is possibly the most in tune modern royal Monarch out there. It wasn't an empty station by the way.

Last edited:
Butt one of the royals present understood it entirely and that bodes well for the future. Be realistic, how can the Queen see and experience the changes over the past 150 years with 100,000 people milling about? The man in charge was showing her how developments in rolling stock had taken place.
It makes sense to me in the context of the event.

:lol: Posts like this make me re-examine what this website is actually called.

Also- pheasants ride the tube? I did not know. ;) The Queen, for me, is possibly the most in tune modern royal Monarch out there. It wasn't an empty station by the way.

You got me, minus the 'h' of course! :p
Its the peasants who ride the tube and the pheasants that get shot by the royals! ;):p

This was one appointment where I said spontaneously to my husband: Oh, to be Catherine for a day... I would have loved to be in London and shown the historic carriage and then the new tube train! My hsuband then invited me to the Munich museum of public transport next sunday... at least that treat for this public transport fan...

AFAIK Philip, like Charles, loves anything transport related as well, so I guess for him and his loving wife it was simply a treat to help celebrate the anniversary of the Tube.

But - that doesn't mean HM has no idea how life really is. She does own a Tv, doesn't she? Who says she only watches soaps? I've never been to Brazil but I have an idea how life in the Favelas is...

As for other members of the RF riding the tube: how could theyß their bodyguards would give them a lesson about security and that's that...

Please note that posts regarding commoner marriages in Royal Families have been deleted as off topic.

It must be weird for Kate - until 2011 she was able to use the tube freely and unnoticed as normal public member. She seemed to throughly enjoy the engagement and i did love the clip of her being presented with the baby badge and Prince Phillips reaction

It is nice to see the Queen introducing Kate to engagements - lessons learnt from the past. I wonder will she do the same if/when Harry marries?

@RoyalReporter: Joining forces: Prince Charles says he and Prince William will host a St James's Palace conference in May on illegal wild animal poaching.

@RoyalReporter: Charles and William want to bring together international experts on poaching to end a crisis threatening wild life.

William hasn't attended Easter with the Queen for a number of years. I don't remember seeing Charles and Camilla there for a long time either, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't attend. They may attend this year, simply with all the press about baby Cambridge. The usual attendees are Andrew, his girls, Edward and Sophie (and Louise maybe) and Anne and Tim.

I use the London Underground most weeks and don't think I've ever seen pheasant...

I use the London Underground most weeks and don't think I've ever seen pheasant...

It was a typo. :)

On today's Easter Service;

@RegalEyes: The Queen has been joined on Easter Day by the Duke, Duke of York, Pr Beatrice, Pr Eugenie, Earl & Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom