The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

Since when is he very very rich? Last I heard this guy had just "retired" from his job and hasn't found a new one yet. He would have received inheritance from the QM, but I doubt that was enough to make him very rich. He might be the grandson of the Queen, but he's not titled, receive's very little privileges and leaves a normal life. Having 'an army of help' doesn't fit the personality of this couple, and help from your own sister is better than any Nanny. Training for the Olympics is a MAJOR deal, and Zara is a serious competitor who will go for those medals.
I was talking about the Queen being very very rich not Peter Philips. But he should have received some private inheritances which allow him to leave better than the average british salaried and consequently afford help at home.
Nevertheless, i found this discussion about the absences to the memorial meaningless, as i believe that IF the Queen considered it inportant, they ALL would have attend

Old 04-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
i believe that IF the Queen considered it inportant, they ALL would have attend
Are you saying The Queen didn't think this service was important? And because The Queen is rich, doesn't mean she's going to pay for "an army of help" for Peter.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness

If she will be rich like some posters say she would pay for Peter's wedding. She didn't and they sold coverage to Hello probably to pay for wedding.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
If she will be rich like some posters say she would pay for Peter's wedding. She didn't and they sold coverage to Hello probably to pay for wedding.
There's no doubt that HM is rich. We don't know if Peter asked HM to pay for the wedding, but somehow I doubt it. I thought they just sold pictures to Hello! because they could, not because it was to actually pay for it.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Most people I know do go to family memorial services. They don't insult their families by going on holidays instead as William has done. It is clearly a sign of his lack of regard for his father's family.

Imagine the outcry if he father had refused to attend the memorial service for Diana. It would have been totally unacceptable but it is acceptable for William to go on holidays rather than honour his great-grandmother and great-aunt - people who were particularly close to his father.

Sorry - that is evidence in itself that he doesn't hold his father or his father's family in high regard. Actions speak much louder than words and William's actions are at odds with his words.
I immensely respect that you are willing to voice an opinion, Iluvbertie - with conviction - that is not popular. It is a sense that I have gotten as well - that William is not quite 'there' - time will tell. In hindsight it will manifest whether the signs were there all along only ignored. Its an interesting perspective and adds spice to the discussion. Much prefer that to the bland vanilla of euphonious agreement.

So know there is one person who respects your opinion and your right to say it - as forcefully as you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I don't believe anyone was questioning Iluvbertie's right to hold an opinion.
Rather, some members were disagreeing with the conclusions she has drawn from William's absence and were passing comment on those somewhat dogmatic conclusions and the unusual vehemence in which they were expressed.
It is interesting to me that you have decided to characterize a poster's posts that have a very unique point of view. A view that is not generally held, in fact - takes some courage to state - and your characterization proves that it takes courage to state. Iluvbertie has her reasons for feeling her opinions as certainly as she does - which makes her opinion all the more interesting and worthy of note. I think.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

Are you saying The Queen didn't think this service was important? And because The Queen is rich, doesn't mean she's going to pay for "an army of help" for Peter.
No. I'm saying that the Quenn might not think that the presence of all was mandatory.
And i said clearly before that since the Queen's personnal huge fortune comes from her family, Peter Philips being part of this family should have inherited from this same family a confortable amount allowing him to afford life
Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There's no doubt that HM is rich. We don't know if Peter asked HM to pay for the wedding, but somehow I doubt it. I thought they just sold pictures to Hello! because they could, not because it was to actually pay for it.
I agree. I think both Peter and Zara are taught to paying for themselves.

You really think that it was the case? I was pretty sure that they made it for money. 150000 pounds could be very helpful with organization of their wedding. They could predict that selling the photos for weekly tabloid will cause some nasty comments. Why they risked?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
You really think that it was the case? I was pretty sure that they made it for money. 150000 pounds could be very helpful with organization of their wedding. They could predict that selling the photos for weekly tabloid will cause some nasty comments. Why they risked?
I agree - there is no other reason to get Hello involved other than money. HM is rich but I doubt she pays for anything not state-related. It would have been Anne's job to pay and she will have had her reasons not to.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I've read that Anne told Autumn that she's old fashioned and believed he bride's family is responsible for the cost of the wedding, and that's that. Autumn is from a very average family, moneywise. She could have had a small cheap wedding but she would have been judged badly either way.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Does anyone know long the Memorial Service had been on the court calendar? It may be a relatively new addition and other commitments had been made.Edward being out of the country on business seemed to show it had not been long time planned. Although,if William had to report back to Anglesey on Monday, W&K prob could have come home few days early. Not an egregious error, but prob not the best judgment call.
From what I know - such events are planned a LONG time in advance. Edward had an important engagement that could not be cancelled (I guess it's difficult for the family to find a date where no-one has anything to do), but his wife attended. The Phillips family had a new baby the day before (something that, as long as it's a natural birth, can not be planned right on the day) and as the family is obviously close-knitted and down to earth, they (Zara probably) might been busy with looking after Savannah, visiting Autumn or whatever. Also, many members of the family who usually have a busy schedule, attended the thanksgiving service, so I doubt it was only planned one or two weeks before it happened.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 AM
Majesty

Whist the Memorial Service was only added to the public calendar last week, it would have been "graven in stone" within the family itself and would have been planned at least a year in advance to ensure that as many family members as possible had a clear diary for that day. The late addition to the calendar was merely notifying the public of a private occasion.

Obviously a "clean sweep" of BRF members calendars was an unrealistic expectation. However, Edward was "working", William and Kate were "playing". . . .

Big difference!

Huge!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Guys, the topic of this thread are the Current Events of the British Royal Family, not Peter's wedding and the events of 2008.

If you wish to discuss Peter & Autumn's wedding, the Hello spread, etc, please do so here
Peter Phillips Wedding 2008: the Royal Family, Hello! Magazine and "Freebies" .

Thank you!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Whist the Memorial Service was only added to the public calendar last week, it would have been "graven in stone" within the family itself and would have been planned at least a year in advance to ensure that as many family members as possible had a clear diary for that day. The late addition to the calendar was merely notifying the public of a private occasion.

Obviously a "clean sweep" of BRF members calendars was an unrealistic expectation. However, Edward was "working", William and Kate were "playing". . . .

Big difference!

Huge!!!
Exactly, what we see is always only put in the calendar a few weeks before so not to have a crowded 6 month list of activities that can get confusing. There is no doubt, though, that this memorial service was one of those engagements that was planned more than a year before, given that everyone knows a 10 year anniversary is a major deal to be commiserated and a date with significance for the service is obvious in the case of a memorial service.

And, which has been mentioned too many times to count already, Edward and Zara and Peter had significant obligations that day, not a holiday after a few weeks of "work"...

BTW MARG, I love your quote at the end!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

All this fuss reminds me of when Anne & Mark skipped Harrys christening at Windsor because she had planned to host a party at Gatcombe on the same day. People came up with all sorts of stories about real or imagined slights blah blah blah but Anne just carried on as usual and people seemed to get over it and find something else to chat about. There is always the "next story" when it comes to the BRF.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
And, which has been mentioned too many times to count already, Edward and Zara and Peter had significant obligations that day, not a holiday after a few weeks of "work"...
What significant obligations did Zara have that day?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
All this fuss reminds me of when Anne & Mark skipped Harrys christening at Windsor because she had planned to host a party at Gatcombe on the same day. People came up with all sorts of stories about real or imagined slights blah blah blah but Anne just carried on as usual and people seemed to get over it and find something else to chat about. There is always the "next story" when it come sto the BRF.
If I remember correctly, and if this story was true, I had read/heard at the time that Anne was annoyed that she wasn't named a godparent for Harry and avoided attending the christening by hosting that party on the same day.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
What significant obligations did Zara have that day?
training for the Olympics which is 116 days away... It's been mentioned several times on this thread. And there is the possibility she also lent a hand to her brother with little Savannah.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Personally, I don't think training is a "significant" reason to miss the service. As others have stated, this service was scheduled months in advance, so she could have rearranged her training schedule for the day - especially since the service only took a few hours. As for lending a hand with the new baby, didn't Anne attend? If the grandmother was able to make the service, I don't see why Zara couldn't. Plus, it's not like Peter and Autumn don't have other family members that could help out for a few hours.

Anyway, it hasn't even been established that Zara missed out for either of those two reasons.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The British royal family is reminiscent of the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret in the 10th anniversary of his death
La familia real británica recuerda a la Reina Madre y a la princesa Margarita en el 10º aniversario de su fallecimiento

Google Google Translate
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Personally, I don't think training is a "significant" reason to miss the service. As others have stated, this service was scheduled months in advance, so she could have rearranged her training schedule for the day - especially since the service only took a few hours. As for lending a hand with the new baby, didn't Anne attend? If the grandmother was able to make the service, I don't see why Zara couldn't. Plus, it's not like Peter and Autumn don't have other family members that could help out for a few hours.

Anyway, it hasn't even been established that Zara missed out for either of those two reasons.
For me it's more reasonable reason for absence than in William's case. Training is big part of Zara's job. She has important event ahead of her, she must prepare well, I'm sure she will do everything to get medal. Zara is very close with other members of family and I believe that she would attend it she could. She couldn't. William didn't wanted.

Closed Thread