The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
I find very difficult to believe that the grandson of the Queen of Great Britain, who is also a very very rich person has not help at home.
Since when is he very very rich? Last I heard this guy had just "retired" from his job and hasn't found a new one yet. He would have received inheritance from the QM, but I doubt that was enough to make him very rich. He might be the grandson of the Queen, but he's not titled, receive's very little privileges and leaves a normal life. Having 'an army of help' doesn't fit the personality of this couple, and help from your own sister is better than any Nanny. Training for the Olympics is a MAJOR deal, and Zara is a serious competitor who will go for those medals.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

My own two cents' worth; I feel that it would have been nice if William and Kate attended the memorial especially in light of where they were and doing at the time. A 10-year remembrance service is a significant one, IMO. Maybe it wasn't a mandatory attendance and the Queen approved of their vacation, but it still would have been respectful to those living who cared about the deceased to have shown up. Some things just shouldn't have to be asked to do, but to consider this an attack or sign of disgruntlement against his father or anyone else is a stretch indeed.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen shouldn't never have even had to consider asking her family to be present - that is an automatic sign of respect and love. William has thumbed his nose at his grandmother and father on a number of occasions and is still being given a pass - why.

Any decent human being would have been at the memorial service without being asked but not William who does what he wants and shows a total lack of respect for for his father, who was devoted to The Queen Mother, and for his Grandmother who was also devoted to her mother.

Regardless of how he felt about the individuals common decency says I should be there for my father and grandmother but William has been so badly raised that he has been allowed to do whatever he wants and gets away with it.

How anyone can condone someone going on a skiing holiday rather than a family memorial I don't know. To me it says loud and clear - 'I hate my father and his family and will do all I can to disrespect them'.

I have for some time believed that William has come to despise his father and this is further confirmation of that.
Wow! That's enough dislike to satisfy the faithful readers of 'The Daily Mail' who thrive on such vitriol. I'm sorry you feel this way about a person that you've never met (and most likely never will). I highly doubt that William hates his paternal side of the family, or that this was a deliberate snub or sign of disrespect. He chose to spend some quality time with his wife and in-laws. You don't have to agree with his choice (which you don't), but to sit there and throw around such negativity is simply not necessary.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Has it been established as a fact that Zara was training, or is that just speculation. Even if she was training, I don't see why she couldn't take a few hours off to attend the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I would've liked to see William and Kate there, and I'm on the record as saying I believe this holiday to be ill-advised. However, the idea that their non-attendance is some kind of indication that William holds his father and the RF in contempt is reaching on a mammouth scale. It's quite clear to me that William loves his father very much. He gets asked about his mother all the time, and so talks about her more, but that's always going to be the case given that she's dead and that William was young when it happened. He publicly supported his father's second marriage, and has welcomed Camilla honestly into the family - even going so far as to have one of her grandchildren as a flower girl at his wedding.

Not attending yesterday may not have been the best decision but, to me, that's all it is.
I agree.

I definitely think they should have attended the service, but I don't see his absence as a slam against his father...it's obvious that he loves him very much. In fact, I think it's extremely unfair that peope are stating that his decision means that he hates his family.

Having said that, I don't think it was wise for William to continue his vacation and miss the service. Even if he cleared it with the Queen, he failed to realize how this would look in the court of public opinion.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

On another thread I wrote: I have heard it said that William will 'modernize' the monarchy when he comes into his time on the throne. Maybe this is part of that? Portents of how it will be? Less fuss and bother about all that stuff pertaining to those whom William may feel were not supportive of his mother?

When posters indicated that they doubted William would be so crass - and that further he has accepted Camilla, I said: Good point - I take back what I said, or I modify it. I ascribed motive - shouldn't have done that. Colors the response. By 'modernizing' he may be less inclined for any fuss and bother about most things except the big-ticket items like Trooping of the Colours - opening of Parliament and the coronation. Stuff like that.

Would the public be at ease with a monarchy trimmed down that much?

I know why Iluvbertie is saying what she is - she has deeper knowledge than most - but I too fail to see overt signs of hostility. Its true that he just is not showing up. He's been gone awhile and when he returns he misses showing up at a high visibility event. It is passing curious - everyone else has a working excuse, he does not. It is a bit strange. This fascinates me because I do think there are indications that William is not going to be the kind of monarch people are expecting. I suspect he may do a lot of deconstruction of the monarchy. A hunch. It will be interesting to watch as the years roll along.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Royal Highness

The biggest issue is not that they didn't attended but that they chosen to go to 2nd holidays in 3 months instead attend important family event. I would understand being in work or having engagement but holidays. Do they really need few days off every time when they work. What next? Holidays to celebrate 1st wedding anniversary, holidays after main jubilee events, holidays after being Olympics ambassadors, holidays after jubilee tour to Asia?
I don't believe that William asked QEII of permission, he just packed his luggage and went to holidays.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
The biggest issue is not that they didn't attended but that they chosen to go to 2nd holidays in 3 months instead attend important family event. I would understand being in work or having engagement but holidays. Do they really need few days off every time when they work. What next? Holidays to celebrate 1st wedding anniversary, holidays after main jubilee events, holidays after being Olympics ambassadors, holidays after jubilee tour to Asia?
I don't believe that William asked QEII of permission, he just packed his luggage and went to holidays.
I think you are not quite understanding the definition of 'work' in this case. Royals do not have the 9-to-5 jobs that members of general public do. Their work is constantly being in the spotlight and smiling, which is a he** of a lot harder than it looks. It's a lot more draining than sitting in an office and dealing with papers. William was on military deployment, which is no picnic either. I think that they do indeed deserve a break (especially Catherine, since she's still new to the role of a working Royal and is getting used to the pressure). I would agree with you if this was occurring five years down the road, but right now, there should be little to no issues in the case of the general public. This was not the best move, but again, Her Majesty's fine with it, so we ought to be too. If it'll prove to be a bad PR move for the Cambridges, I'm more than positive that they'll be briefed about it, and learn to not make such choices in the future. As for your assumption that William didn't ask his grandmother for permission, and just went, it's just that, an assumption. I personally highly doubt that he would show that kind of disrespect to a grandmother whom he appears to admire and love.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
I disagree. From what I've seen, the issue isn't the vacation, but the fact that they didn't attend the service. I think if they had shown up for the service, very few people would even care about their vacation.

And, I personally have no problem with them going on vacation.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Courtier

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

So you're not convinced this presages the fall of the dynasty?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
You will be happy again when the press have nothing but negative to say about them.
Nothing I have said implies that I want William & Kate to be criticised all the time as you seem to think.

I just want the press to be even handed - to praise when it's warranted and to critique when that is warranted. And that applies to all members of the royal family and not just to William and Kate.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
On another thread I wrote: I have heard it said that William will 'modernize' the monarchy when he comes into his time on the throne. Maybe this is part of that? Portents of how it will be? Less fuss and bother about all that stuff pertaining to those whom William may feel were not supportive of his mother?

When posters indicated that they doubted William would be so crass - and that further he has accepted Camilla, I said: Good point - I take back what I said, or I modify it. I ascribed motive - shouldn't have done that. Colors the response. By 'modernizing' he may be less inclined for any fuss and bother about most things except the big-ticket items like Trooping of the Colours - opening of Parliament and the coronation. Stuff like that.

Would the public be at ease with a monarchy trimmed down that much?

I know why Iluvbertie is saying what she is - she has deeper knowledge than most - but I too fail to see overt signs of hostility. Its true that he just is not showing up. He's been gone awhile and when he returns he misses showing up at a high visibility event. It is passing curious - everyone else has a working excuse, he does not. It is a bit strange. This fascinates me because I do think there are indications that William is not going to be the kind of monarch people are expecting. I suspect he may do a lot of deconstruction of the monarchy. A hunch. It will be interesting to watch as the years roll along.
I disagree. I get the feeling that William wants to try and live as 'normal' a life as he can for as long as is practicable. He obviously wants to put off being a full time working royal for a while yet.

But, from what he's said publicly it's clear that he understands the importance of not only the role he will one day fill but the monarchy in general. Like Charles, I don't see him hugely altering the monarchy massively - I actually think the Queen has done the bulk of the modernisation herself. So, I don't see him doing away with any of Trooping the Colour, the Maundy Service, Remembrance Sunday, the State Opening of Parliament. He already takes part in Trooping, Remembrance Sunday and Garter Day. The British royals have far fewer tiara occasions than other monarchies so it's not like there's a load of fancy galas he could get rid of or strip down. He might have fewer 'grey men' around him, or be unwilling to pay myriad relations to assist him in his public duties, but I think all the fundamentals will stay the same.

The interview he gave on his 21st birthday was quite revealing. Interestingly, given our debate here, he defends his father quite vehemently:

Quote:
"He does so many amazing things, I only wish people would see that more because he's had a very hard time and yet he's stuck it out and he's still very positive. He's very happy and protective towards Harry and me as well."
He also came across as somewhat annoyed at suggestions that he didn't want to be king:

Quote:
"All these questions about do you want to be king? It's not a question of wanting to be, it's something I was born into and it's my duty. Wanting is not the right word. But those stories about me not wanting to be king are all wrong. It's a very important role and it's one that I don't take lightly. It's all about helping people and dedication and loyalty which I hope I have - I know I have. You only have to look at my grandmother and see the amazing things she's done. That to me is a huge inspiration - the work she's done and the work my father's done and a lot of the family. The monarchy is something that needs to be there - I just feel it's very, very important - it's a form of stability and I hope to be able to continue that."
In past interviews I've also heard him say things like, "If I'm going to be Head of the Armed Forces someday, then I feel I need to do my bit so I can command their respect". To me, that doesn't sound like a revolutionary, or someone likely to be complacent with the institution. It sounds like someone who gets it.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

He has also described himself as "basically a conservative guy" so I can't see real sweeping changes although the monarchy has always been quite adaptable as required by the times. That has been on of the secrets of its survival, it adapts as needed.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Any changes I feel he's likely to make tend to be to make BP a bit more informal. He might feel that they could do with fewer footmen for example. It reminds me of Prince Edward talking about how there were 4 different departments involved in lighting the fires at BP. The Queen has simplified that sort of thing, and modernised the structure. I also doubt whether he'll want to continue the Queen's tradition of having a piper play for her outside her window every morning at 9am. I'd say he and Kate would probably also update Balmoral's Victorian interior somewhat.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic..the current events of the British Royal Family NOT how William will or will modernize the monarchy.

If you wish to discuss where the monarchy might be during the reign of William, please do so her
e Where Does Everyone See The Monarchy in 50 to 100 Years? .

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Commoner

Iluvbertie: I believe your beliefs are hogwash. You cannot read Prince William's mind nor can you slander his feelings for his family. Tut tut!! It's only your opinion...but your opinions are nasty and truly unnecessary.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Gentry

Ilovebertie: your opinions are your own and you are entitled to them, just like everyone else on this forum. :smiles:
Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

I don't believe anyone was questioning Iluvbertie's right to hold an opinion.
Rather, some members were disagreeing with the conclusions she has drawn from William's absence and were passing comment on those somewhat dogmatic conclusions and the unusual vehemence in which they were expressed.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Serene Highness

Does anyone know long the Memorial Service had been on the court calendar? It may be a relatively new addition and other commitments had been made.Edward being out of the country on business seemed to show it had not been long time planned. Although,if William had to report back to Anglesey on Monday, W&K prob could have come home few days early. Not an egregious error, but prob not the best judgment call.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Courtier

It was add last week

Closed Thread