The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Most people don't go to family memorial service so I don't think it's a big deal at all
In the Royal Family they do - as demonstrated by the fact that almost everyone was present.

I agree with Bertie that whether the Queen gave her consent or not is irrelevant, it should never have even entered William's head to ask for it. I don't think it suggests he hates his father but I do think it was disrespectful towards the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret. To me it is just compounded by the fact the absence was caused by a holiday.

I do think William was probably spoiled by both parents as a consequence of the nasty divorce. As a result of Diana's early death I think he and Harry were probably indulged (I have no proof of either by the way, it's just an opinion).

I also think it's another example of the double standards of the British press. Had either York girl not been there because they chose to go skiing instead (and I'm not particularly a fan of the York family), there would have been plenty of criticism aimed at them.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 AM
Courtier

Maybe the spend time with the Middleton have been plans for a while and longer than the memorial services. I don't think most of the family show up, maybe most of the RF. I don't see the big deal. And I don't see how it was disrespectful. I guess the press don't write negative article for the same reason why journalist said they don't write negative article about the Queen right now. They are popular with the public and they have to write what sell (Their word not mine)

Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Some people become quite engrossed in their own negativity don't they...

Idealy, it would have been nice if William and Catherine attended, but they didn't. That however does not suggest that William despises his father or his family as a whole. The mere suggestion of it seems to me as being completely rediculous and without any substantiated evidence to support the whacky accusation that it is.

Outwardly, it has a real tendancy to appear quite inconsiderate to those of us who are interested and to the high and moral, but the reality of the situation is, is that no one here knows the contents of any conversation hand between William, the Queen or his father regarding his absence, and thus the absence of the Duchess. All we know is that they have sought private leisure abroad and as a consequence were not present to attend the memorial service.

I along with others, would have liked to have seen them there (naturally) but their absence proves nothing in regards to the state of their relationships, no matter how much certain indaviduals would wish it to be so.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Maybe the spend time with the Middleton have been plans for a while and longer than the memorial services. I don't think most of the family show up, maybe most of the RF. I don't see the big deal. And I don't see how it was disrespectful. I guess the press don't write negative article for the same reason why journalist said they don't write negative article about the Queen right now. They are popular with the public and they have to write what sell (Their word not mine)
I respect your opinion Miche but I doubt the holiday plans with the Middletons have been in place longer than those for the memorial service. Royal diaries are arranged many, many months in advance. The fact that so many had to be coordinated suggests to me that the service was planned a long time ago.

You are quite right, the press don't write negative articles about William & Kate because they want to sell newspapers. That's my point, William & Kate can get away with doing things that others would be criticised for - rightly or wrongly.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Most people I know do go to family memorial services. They don't insult their families by going on holidays instead as William has done. It is clearly a sign of his lack of regard for his father's family.

Imagine the outcry if he father had refused to attend the memorial service for Diana. It would have been totally unacceptable but it is acceptable for William to go on holidays rather than honour his great-grandmother and great-aunt - people who were particularly close to his father.

Sorry - that is evidence in itself that he doesn't hold his father or his father's family in high regard. Actions speak much louder than words and William's actions are at odds with his words.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Royal Highness

My only comment - they should be there.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They don't insult their families by going on holidays instead as William has done.
And you advocate the collective opinion of the royal family do you?

The fact of the matter is, you do not know what they think or feel in regards to their absence, least of all if they were insulted.

Quote:
It is clearly a sign of his lack of regard for his father's family.
Again, it proves nothing. The way you often talk of the young man and this "apparent" division of familial loyalties, anyone would be forgiven for thinking that you fervently believe him to be Diana reincarnate. I suppose it is easy to surmise the possibilties of discord between others though; especially from afar and when greatly removed from the situation.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

I... believe that perhaps you've had one too many commemorative drinky-poos.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

My family have never had a memorial service for any of our relatives who died - does that mean we disrespect them? We're Presbyterian so we believe that you don't have to go to some gilded building and chant back what a man in a frock and pointy hat is saying to connect with God and those we've lost. We do that on a daily basis within ourselves.

I would've liked to see William and Kate there, and I'm on the record as saying I believe this holiday to be ill-advised. However, the idea that their non-attendance is some kind of indication that William holds his father and the RF in contempt is reaching on a mammouth scale. It's quite clear to me that William loves his father very much. He gets asked about his mother all the time, and so talks about her more, but that's always going to be the case given that she's dead and that William was young when it happened. He publicly supported his father's second marriage, and has welcomed Camilla honestly into the family - even going so far as to have one of her grandchildren as a flower girl at his wedding.

Not attending yesterday may not have been the best decision but, to me, that's all it is.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Maybe the spend time with the Middleton have been plans for a while and longer than the memorial services.
The memorial service was on the exact anniversary of the Queen Mother's death (30 March 2002-30 March 2012) so it wasn't arbitrarily chosen.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

To me it seems that William just doesn't care that much. How long would a flight from France to London etc. take? About one hour maybe? They could have easily flown over and back to continue with their fun holidays if they had wanted to. JMO.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
To me it seems that William just doesn't care that much. How long would a flight from France to London etc. take? About one hour maybe? They could have easily flown over and back to continue with their fun holidays if they had wanted to. JMO.
Carbon footprint, anybody?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I respect your opinion Miche but I doubt the holiday plans with the Middletons have been in place longer than those for the memorial service. Royal diaries are arranged many, many months in advance. The fact that so many had to be coordinated suggests to me that the service was planned a long time ago.

You are quite right, the press don't write negative articles about William & Kate because they want to sell newspapers. That's my point, William & Kate can get away with doing things that others would be criticised for - rightly or wrongly.
I don't know about that since the Middleton seems to go skiing around March for long time now. So yeah it is possible that has been in the plan for.

William and Kate can't get away with anything. There was a period of time were neither of those two could do anything right. The press goes in cycles. You will be happy again when the press have nothing but negative to say about them.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Royal Highness

William is piloting fuel-consuming RAF helicopters. He doesn't thinks about carbon footprint too much. Well I assume that they travel for vacation by airplane, not on the back of a donkey.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain View Post
The memorial service was on the exact anniversary of the Queen Mother's death (30 March 2002-30 March 2012) so it wasn't arbitrarily chosen.
Does the Royal Family always have a Memorial Services a decade after a member of their family have died?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Did William attend ALL the previous years memorial and he just missed this one?
After all it is just an anniversary not a funeral! And for how many years it will be done again?
If it William absence looks bad, it is the same for Zara! The preparation for the OG is not an excuse! She can miss a couple of hours! And helping with the baby... let me laugh! With the army of staff they have, they need Zara!
For me it is just not important to attend. And if it is mandatory, where is Edward? The date was known, so he should NOT have taken any other oblgation. After all it was his aunt and granma!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM
Royal Highness

Personally I believe that if the Queen was that upset he would have been there as somebody would have said he had to be.
The bigger issue to me is not that they attended this but that they are quite happy to jet off on holiday at a time when the rest of the country is cutting back. Yes Williams has come back from the Falklands but there were several articles, Including the telegraph, which said he hadn't been doing much when he was out there so lets not act like he's been fighting the Taliban in the dessert with boiling heat, sleeping outside, little or no food/water. I hardly think its been exhausting work that makes it NECESSARY to have a holiday. Likewise with Kate, a handful of appearances over 6 weeks can hardly count as working hard, it just seems like she's been busy as usually she appears working so little.
Perhaps however the Cambridge's weren't there as the Household wants to limit their appearances with the Queen so that each time has a very real impact rather than it becoming all to common, who knows.
Must have been a day of missed emotions for the Queen, remembering her sister and mother on the same day as becoming a great grandmother again, bet its the best Jubilee present she will get!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
After all it is just an anniversary not a funeral! And for how many years it will be done again?
If it William absence looks bad, it is the same for Zara! The preparation for the OG is not an excuse! She can miss a couple of hours! And helping with the baby... let me laugh! With the army of staff they have, they need Zara!
For me it is just not important to attend. And if it is mandatory, where is Edward? The date was known, so he should NOT have taken any other oblgation. After all it was his aunt and granma!
I'm not saying that you are right or wrong, indeed if its expected for all to go then they should ALL go no excuses if you make one exception then you open it for others to skip it.
However Edwards was WORKING on behalf of the Queen in France on an official visit, Zara was training to represent her COUNTRY. William and Kate on the other hand were on holiday.
And I have to say whilst I think Zara was probably training rather than babysitting I doubt very much Peter and Autumn have an army of staff, in fact i doubt they have any at all.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100

I doubt very much Peter and Autumn have an army of staff, in fact i doubt they have any at all.
I find very difficult to believe that the grandson of the Queen of Great Britain, who is also a very very rich person has not help at home.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
There where no memorials the previous Years. They have it only for the 10th death anniversary. Also for Diana there was ony in 2007 but not the years before and after.

Closed Thread