British Royal Family Current Events 4: March 2007-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is the Order of Merit how easy are they to recive do all the Queens Children Have it?? Thanks in Advance!

This has me confused, isn´t Prince Harry working hard for charity at a polo match in NY? Or is he expected back from NY by then, they probably think it would be too much for him to take more time off to attend a Regiment commemoration for D-Day, too much missed training.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has me confused, isn´t Prince Harry working hard for charity at a polo match in NY? Or is he expected back from NY by then, they probably think it would be too much for him to take more time off to attend a Regiment commemoration for D-Day, too much missed training.

Harry spent 36 hours in New York. He flew back overnight on Saturday so he would be back in training on Monday. He got special leave for Friday to carry out the engagements he did, the polo was on Saturday afternoon. (Saturday morning were the official engagements of the Children's centre and he visited a coast guard station ( port authority?))

The D-Day commemorations are on a Friday, since he got special leave last Friday to get another day off so soon wasn't considered viable.

The D-Day commemorations are on a Friday, since he got special leave last Friday to get another day off so soon wasn't considered viable.
Wasn't considered viable by whom?:nonono:

It should be about priorities and these two servicemen/playboys owe a great debt to the men who fought and gave their lives to allow them the freedoms they enjoy.
Both William and Harry seem to get a great deal of special leave, one wonders if Harry has simply gone for the fun option when requesting more 'special' leave?:nonono:

The polo match was a set date, not by Harry but from the organisers of the event, it was the opening match of their season. So Harry's private secretary then went and organised the visit around that date. Going to the US just for a polo match even if it meant raising money for Sentebale wouldn't have looked too good so other engagements were organised and they were on the Friday. Harry flew overnight Thursday arriving Friday morning, he then flew back to London late Saturday after the polo match to arrive Sunday and be back in training Monday. Harry has had 2 days special leave this year, February 24th, the unveiling of the Queen Mother statue ( hardly the choice of a 'fun' option!) and last Friday. As far as is publicly known Harry hasn't taken any other leave this year, William spent a week skiing in March, Harry hasn't been anywhere.
William has had more, early March but then the statement from the RAF was that he had extra leave as he had already done the prelimenary parts of the helicopter training the previous year during his original secondment. He undertook official engagements then.
Both princes are in a bind either they concentrate on their military career and then get criticised for not doing enough royal engagements or then do royal engagements and then are criticised for not taking their military careers seriously.
As far as viable by whom, the fact that Harry has had just 2 days special leave and no days of ordinary leave means that both he and his trainers are taking his training seriously.

Both princes are in a bind either they concentrate on their military career and then get criticised for not doing enough royal engagements or then do royal engagements and then are criticised for not taking their military careers seriously.

Very well said however attending a D-day memorial service, wouldn't that be classed as an official enagement and part of taking the military seriously. Surely some of Harry and Williams superiors are possible attending this event?.
I agree that harry hasn't used his special leave for fun options, and William has but this is a serious event and with the Queen not going, i thought it might have been likely that the 2 members of the royal family AT PRESENT serving in the forces would go. Who cares about not viable, it's one day, one event.
x
x

So Harry's private secretary then went and organised the visit around that date. Going to the US just for a polo match even if it meant raising money for Sentebale wouldn't have looked too good
I think we were all able to work out the other events were organised to disguise the 'just for the polo'!
Both princes are in a bind either they concentrate on their military career and then get criticised for not doing enough royal engagements or then do royal engagements and then are criticised for not taking their military careers seriously. As far as viable by whom, the fact that Harry has had just 2 days special leave and no days of ordinary leave means that both he and his trainers are taking his training seriously.
Without anything to corroborate your statement of 'wasn't considered viable', can we presume that is only your opinion?:whistling: If William and Harry are taking the Queens shilling, they should be Army/RAF officers first and foremost, to prioritise a visit to the US over the D Day commemorations (which after all happen every year, with specials every five years) is a serious lapse of judgment, IMO.

As you have said the 'official engagements' were fitted in around a polo match, as for whether Harry is taking his training seriously, only his instructors can really comment on that!

Princes put polo ahead of D-Day | Mail Online

So I'm guessing there will be another polo match this weekend. Anyways I'm sure William and Harry are both taking their work seriously, you can tell just by Harry's recent interview, Ya they have to juggle around some things and miss a couple engagements but in defense for them this polo match is on Saturday so they'd already be on leave for the weekend. I doubt Harry would have been able to take extra leave now just returning from the US keeping in mind his engagement to the US was arranged a while back I'm assuming and was for a great cause so I don't really see the problem. I mean I'm sure William will probably have to take some leave for the Garter ceremony isn't he like obliged to go, it's like in 2 weeks isn't it? I think I'd look wrong if he didn't show up to that what with him just being added last year. Plus I'm getting this feeling they'll have more upcoming engagements this summer so them taking too much leave will look really bad. Charles going is fine, William and Harry will have plenty of years to come to go to one of these.

Princes put polo ahead of D-Day | Mail Online

So I'm guessing there will be another polo match this weekend. Anyways I'm sure William and Harry are both taking their work seriously, you can tell just by Harry's recent interview, Ya they have to juggle around some things and miss a couple engagements but in defense for them this polo match is on Saturday so they'd already be on leave for the weekend. I doubt Harry would have been able to take extra leave now just returning from the US keeping in mind his engagement to the US was arranged a while back I'm assuming and was for a great cause so I don't really see the problem. I mean I'm sure William will probably have to take some leave for the Garter ceremony isn't he like obliged to go, it's like in 2 weeks isn't it? I think I'd look wrong if he didn't show up to that what with him just being added last year. Plus I'm getting this feeling they'll have more upcoming engagements this summer so them taking too much leave will look really bad. Charles going is fine, William and Harry will have plenty of years to come to go to one of these.

Before the canning of the princes begins for playing polo instead of attending a D-Day commemoration that they had been invited to. Here's something important to note, the commemoration was on Friday June 5th not on Saturday when they are playing polo!! Nothing like a little factual inaccuracy to spin a negative story!

From the original article

Four royals declined D-Day invitation - Telegraph

"I said that on behalf of the veterans of the 9th Bn the Parachute Regiment we would love to see them at our memorial service on Friday June 5th," Mr Newton said. "But they politely declined. We lost a great many men in the Normandy campaign."

"The Princes are both in full-time military training and Friday is a working day," a Buckingham Palace spokesman said.
The original article dated May 30th also noted that the princes were invited in April, the charity polo match (which didn't clash with commemoration event) was organised last Autumn.

:previous:

So why didn´t they go? They have had days off for far more frivolous reasons than a memorial service for fallen British soldiers. I am sure their superiors would agree to a day off for this.

I think we were all able to work out the other events were organised to disguise the 'just for the polo'![

He didn't got 'just for the polo' it was a charity match that raised 100,000 pounds for Sentebale, he followed the royal tradition of charity fundraising that is mining the mother load of philantrophy that is a tradition of Americans. Charles has had numerous fundraising events, dinners, galas etc to raise money from wealthy Americans for his various charities. Diana spent so much time in New York for the same thing.

Without anything to corroborate your statement of 'wasn't considered viable', can we presume that is only your opinion?
It's not my opinion it's my speculation which is no less valid than the other speculation as why he's not attending the commemoration. Stalemate as neither has the full facts in the case. We weren't there making the decision for him not to attend.
? If William and Harry are taking the Queens shilling, they should be Army/RAF officers first and foremost, to prioritise a visit to the US over the D Day commemorations (which after all happen every year, with specials every five years) is a serious lapse of judgment, IMO.
From what I understand the major D-Day commemorations happen every 10 years, 40, 50, 60, ( there haven't been ones at 45, 55,) this year there's a 65th ( not an official one) as the elderly former soldiers may not be able to reach the 70th.

Big military commemorations should be relatively sparing or such events become so banal that public interest fades. Years ending in 10 yes; years ending in five no. There is something to be said for such a policy, if the government had only stuck to it. British D-Day veterans themselves understand the policy and broadly support it.
See article below.

There certainly wasn't a plan to hold a major commemoration this year until a few weeks ago when President Obama expressed a desire to attend a commemoration at the American cemetry as he had a relative who participated in the D-Day landings. Sarkozy only decided to attend as he couldn't have Obama at a commemoration and he not be there, the actual ceremony has been put together rather quickly. See this article over the whole palaver with the press.
Why truth is a casualty of war in the battle of 'Obama Beach' - Europe, World - The Independent

:nonono: Knowing about D-Day (it happens each year) and the events normally arranged for the 5th, one would have hoped that both of these young men and their staff would have given their attendance priority over any polo match, whether it is for charity or not!
Courtiers say the event was organised last autumn but veterans' organisations point out that they must have known it would clash with the D-Day anniversary.- Says a Clarence House spokesman: 'The bottom line is that the polo match is for charity.'
:nonono:
Charlotte1 said:
The original article dated May 30th also noted that the princes were invited in April, the charity polo match (which didn't clash with commemoration event) was organised last Autumn
And as we all know commemoration events are held on the 5th of June every year, or is it impossible for the princes or their staff to work out that it might clash?:rolleyes::nonono:

He didn't got 'just for the polo' it was a charity match that raised 100,000 pounds for Sentebale,
As I said, it was arranged around a polo match, with a few other events thrown in to try to make it acceptable.
this year there's a 65th ( not an official one) as the elderly former soldiers may not be able to reach the 70th.
Even more important that these men should be honoured by the royals.
The Indie is an anti monarchy publication and seem to be at odds with every other publication, media outlet and indeed CH & BP. As it says in it's headline - Truth is a casualty (in their article), IMO.
--------------------------------------New subject
Why Michel Platini and Prince William left me with Champions League final questions

Why Michel Platini and Prince William left me with Champions League final questions - mirror.co.uk

Another D-Day related article.
Victory! Prince Charles demands - and gets - a D-Day invitation from the French | Mail Online

The Prince of Wales will represent Britain at this weekend’s D-Day 65th anniversary commemorations after he stepped in at the 11th hour to demand an invitation from the French.

The prince was prompted to act by public anger in the wake of the Mail’s revelations last week that the French had never planned to invite the Queen, and that Downing Street had failed to intervene.

Charles decided enough was enough and, with his mother’s approval, called French President Nicolas Sarkozy who agreed to issue a formal invitation yesterday morning.

The latest twist also came hours after an extraordinary intervention from the White House, where President Obama’s spokesman said officials in Washington were working behind the scenes to persuade the French to invite the Queen.

Downing Street, which last week washed its hands of the whole affair and said it was a matter for Buckingham Palace, was left struggling to keep up with events.

:previous: You have the right of it Skydragon. Some drop-kick "dropped the ball"? And yes this is a PR disaster for both young princes. Oh good grief, what on earth am I saying. Young is under 18 and both are now men and whatever they do or do not do is "their" responsibility alone. Shame on the both of them! :nonono:

Polo indeed! As the anniversary is not a "moveable feast" I can only surmise that their actions are in total sync with Gen Y . . . . it's all about me, and I want to play polo! Variations on let them eat cake I suppose! :ermm:

Very true.

These young men do seem to only really care about doing things that they enjoy and then they attach a 'charity' handle to it to make it seem ok.

Honestly, I fail to see the point of this article other than the nasty headline.

Its like the paper is trying to live off the coat tails of the scandal of not inviting the Queen to the D Day celebrations.

Just to make sure I understand...the Princes were invited to the celebration in April (most likely after the Queen not getting an invitiation blew up all over thr press) but the charity match had already been scheduled since last Fall. And the actual event is Friday and the polo match is Saturday...is that right?

It makes me question on whether we woud have ever known that they were invited turned down the invitation if this mess about the Queen NOT getting invited to the Celebration hadn't turned into a PR fiasco.

And honestly, if we are going to be fair with the scorn heaped on William and Harry...what are Sophie, Edward and Andrew doing that they couldn't attend the event. Or perhaps since Charles is going...we should just consider this a lesson learned. And EVERYONE keeps June 5th open for future events. And I am not trying to make fun of the importance of the actual day.

Last edited:
I think we were all able to work out the other events were organised to disguise the 'just for the polo'! Without anything to corroborate your statement of 'wasn't considered viable', can we presume that is only your opinion?:whistling: If William and Harry are taking the Queens shilling, they should be Army/RAF officers first and foremost, to prioritise a visit to the US over the D Day commemorations (which after all happen every year, with specials every five years) is a serious lapse of judgment, IMO.

As you have said the 'official engagements' were fitted in around a polo match, as for whether Harry is taking his training seriously, only his instructors can really comment on that!
:previous: You have the right of it Skydragon. Some drop-kick "dropped the ball"? And yes this is a PR disaster for both young princes. Oh good grief, what on earth am I saying. Young is under 18 and both are now men and whatever they do or do not do is "their" responsibility alone. Shame on the both of them! :nonono:

Polo indeed! As the anniversary is not a "moveable feast" I can only surmise that their actions are in total sync with Gen Y . . . . it's all about me, and I want to play polo! Variations on let them eat cake I suppose! :ermm:

To be fair when exactly have they taken leave this year that hasn't been for a good reason? The only time I remember William leaving was to go on holiday with Kate and all people from the RAF are given atleast I think I had read somewhere around 6 weeks off max and William took 21/2 while waiting for the second part of his course to begin in March. The rest of the time if at all has been for work purposes. As for Harry he has only taken leave once and that was for the NY trip. And lets not forget they have the weekend off so it's not like their using special leave time to play polo, and plus it's for a good cause. I honestly don't get it when they don't do anything we complain, when they do charity work we still complain and say that it's just considered "fun" for them. So what?! If they want to try and find new ways to combine their charity work with things they like to do then by all means go ahead. At the end of the day it's still the same thing and I haven't seen them exactly ever come out of polo match drunk, since I have heard some people talk about them only using the polo match as an excuse to party. Anyways back to D-day if we're going to point fingers here why not point them to everyone who declined to go from the BRF.

:previous: :flowers: You make a good point, they are entitled to approx 6 weeks leave, so they could have requested the Friday off to attend, had they deemed it important enough.

Still that is what those men fought and many died for, the freedom to decide for themselves what is and isn't important, (and yes that applies to all of the Royal family).

True but maybe they were advised by various members(staff, family) that they didn't need to go and should just focus as much on training as possible, therefore having Charles go.

If she did get it wrong she still looks nice. So does Sophie. I remember this event. Thank you for the pictures. :flowers:

It appears that Camilla got the dress code entirely wrong at this reception
After the reception, Camilla had to rush to the Guildhall for a function. So I believe the timeframe is restricted and did not allow the Duchess to have time for changing over and over again.

The Daily Mail chooses to twist the facts, as usual.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester have strong ties with military, so I find it natural they were sent to attend the Armed Forces Day.

The Queen will be in Scotland and will mark the Armed Forces Day touring the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards in Edinburgh.
The Duke of Edinburgh will be in Scotland with the Queen.
The Earl of Wessex has engagements connected with the Duke of Edinburgh Award in Portugal.
The Countess of Wessex has no engagements on the day, but she will accompany the Earl of Wessex to Portugal, so she could have hardly attended.

I am not sure why Princess Anne, Prince Charles, the Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and Prince Harry will not attend. All five of them have ties with the military, so it would be natural if one (or more) of them attended the event along with the Gloucesters. Knowing Prince Charles's dedication to the military, I am sure it is not a snub on his part.

I doubt anyone expected Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Zara Phillips, Peter Phillips, James, Viscount Severn or Lady Louise to attend.
Now, If William and Harry chose to go partying on the day, it will be truly disturbing.
Same goes for other people who are more 'senior' Royals than the Gloucesters and who rarely make any Engagements on behalf of the Crown at all - Viscount Linley, Charles Armstrong-Jones and Margarita Armstrong-Jones, Lady Sarah Chatto, Samuel Chatto and Arthur Chatto.

Now, If William and Harry chose to go partying on the day, it will be truly disturbing.

:previous: I wonder why you suggest The Mail have twisted the facts, as you quote many of them directly from The Mail article.

The minor royals you mention would not be suitable anyway. The Mail is pointing out that Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew & Sophie have no official engagement to use as a valid excuse.

:previous: I wonder why you suggest The Mail have twisted the facts, as you quote many of them directly from The Mail article.

The minor royals you mention would not be suitable anyway. The Mail is pointing out that Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew & Sophie have no official engagement to use as a valid excuse.

Sophie couldn't attend, as she will be in Portugal. I believe Andrew was supposed to be Canada from June 26th to the beginning of July, however I wasn't able to find any additional information on this.
I already agreed that Charles, Camilla, Anne, William, Harry and Andrew could make appearance.

Since the DM pointed out that the Duke of Gloucester was only 19th in the line of the succession, I thought it would be valid to point out that of those who are ahead the Duke in the Line of the Succession, only Charles, Camilla, William, Harry and Anne could make appearances, whereas it would be unreasonable to expect Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Zara Phillips, Peter Phillips, James, Viscount Severn, Lady Louise, Viscount Linley, Charles Armstrong-Jones, Margarita Armstrong-Jones, Lady Sarah Chatto, Samuel Chatto and Arthur Chatto to attend.

The reason I believe DM is twisting the facts (although choice of wording could have been better, I admit :)), is that they emphasized that the Duke of Gloucester in only 19th in the Line of the Succession (and is therefore a 'minor' Royal), without pointing out that most of the other Royals who are ahead of him, do not carry out any engagements at all (because of their age or for other reasons).
They also mentioned the Duke of Edinburgh (who will be in Scotland) and the Countess of Wessex (who will be in Portugal) among the 'available' Royals.

I don't think I quoted anything from the DM at all, apart from the mention that the Gloucesters have strong ties with the military (which is a common knowledge anyway). Everything else was quoted either from the Diary of Engagements or other valid sources.

Sophie couldn't attend, as she will be in Portugal. I believe Andrew was supposed to be Canada from June 26th to the beginning of July, however I wasn't able to find any additional information on this.
I already agreed that Charles, Camilla, Anne, William, Harry and Andrew could make appearance.
Sophie and Andrew are taking short holidays, they have no official engagements arranged, still if they consider a short break more important .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom