British Royal Family Current Events 4: March 2007-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Knickers and other unmentionables: (un)diplomatic US view of royal tours

They are the stories you never read about the royals: a narrowly averted moment of embarrassment when the Queen was nearly taken on a tour of an underwear factory in Jamaica, and a moving, conciliatory speech made by Prince Andrew in Argentina after the Falklands war.
<...>
Meanwhile, US officials wrote that sheikhs in the United Arab Emirates were "enthralled" by Charles and Diana in 1989. "The [sheikhs] seem to have forgiven the British for any excesses they may have suffered under imperial rule ... there is far more fondness than rancor for the British". The royal couple's visit was "hugely successful", especially as the British were "sparing no political attention to enhance their economic interests" in the UAE.
<...>
In 1997, Charles toured Saudi Arabia, when relations with Britain had been put under strain over Saudi dissidents in London. "Spreading his message that the west can learn from Islam's spirituality, the Prince of Wales charmed his Saudi audience, royals and plebeians alike," reported the American diplomats.

A very nice and interesting article, in my opinion. We are so used to criticizing the Royals for everything that we often forget of the constructive and positive, albeit subtle influence they have on different matters. For example, I think Prince Andrew's speech in Argentina or Prince Charles's 1997 tour of Saudi Arabia did have actual results: in the case of the former, it may have helped to heal the wounds from the war to some extent, in the case of the latter, as the article says, Prince Charles spread the message that the west can learn from Islam's spirituality.

HER Majesty the Queen and the queen of controversy top and tail a list of the 100 most powerful people in the countryside.
Following in the style of Forbes magazine's 100 Richest People and Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People, Country Life has identified royalty, wildlife enthusiasts, supermarket bosses, explorers, celebrity chefs and landowners as the most influential people in rural life.

Country Life survey | 100 most powerful people | Western Morning News

I agree, the fur hat and the sunglasses look wonderful of Princess Anne. :)
I do love the traditional Braemer Gathering. :flowers:

Thanks for the pictures, Ella Kay :flowers:

I love Anne, I like her fur hat, her boots, the whole outfit but I ALWAYS dislike her sunglasses. Sorry, I can't help myself. :angel: I find this citron-yellow on HM very stylish. :)

I find the yellow and the moss-green/taupe tweed a strange combination. I like Princess Anne's boots, though. I want to get me a pair of those!;) I wonder where Camilla was?

The House of Windsor needs a new glamorous princess. :flowers:

:previous:

Indeed, with the moss-green/taupe tweed ITS a strange combination. :lol: But this yellow, I like it that HM still wears strong colours... However, I agree with you as well - there is a young stylish princess needed :flowers:

I love Princess Anne’s boots but her sunglasses spoil the overall look.
The Queen’s clothes were rather unusually coloured: it would have never entered my mind to mix those two colours.
As usual, loved Prince Charles’s kilt. And his watch chain. :cool:

I love this picture of the Queen and Prince Charles; truly, like mother, like son! :D

Many more pictures at Getty images.
Prince Philip and Timothy Laurence were there as well.

Last edited:
I spy Prince Philip in one of those Getty pictures ... he was at the event, but not on the platform with his wife and children? Why not?

Prince Philip was in the Royal Box, along with the Queen, Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Timothy.
He was sitting right next to the Queen, as can be seen in this picture. :)

Thanks for that link, Marsel! I wonder why the photographers cropped him out of all the closer-up photos, especially since he was just to The Queen's right?

I love all the pictures of Charles and Anne having a grand time. They look like they had a good many laughs and a wonderful afternoon!

Thank you Marsel for the pictures.
Like Mother like son, I agree.
Ella Kay, possible the photographer doesn't think Prince Charles is very photogenic. ;)

Could someone hazard a guess as to what the queen is doing in this picture?
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Last edited by a moderator:
Members of the Royal Family will attend Service of Commemoration to mark the end of combat operations in Iraq, in St Paul’s Cathedral, London on October 9.
The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and the Earl of Wessex are all expected to attend.

The Prince of Wales - Friday 9th October

Last edited:
Marsel Thanks so much for the link. I was confused, but I take it that this is the end of combat operations from the first "Iraq' conflict in the early 1990's

Marsel Thanks so much for the link. I was confused, but I take it that this is the end of combat operations from the first "Iraq' conflict in the early 1990's

I think it is the end of British operations in Iraq this time as all British troops have been withdrawn from Iraq. They were withdrawn by the end of July or early August as the Iraqi government didn't pass permission for them to stay, if my memory serves correctly.

No, I think it is to mark the current conflict in Iraq. Combat Actions officially ended in Iraq earlier this year. Withdrawal of combat troops has started and now the troops are there to train the Iraqi forces and help in rebuilding and peacekeeping.

I was confused, but I take it that this is the end of combat operations from the first "Iraq' conflict in the early 1990's
:flowers: The service is to mark the end of the British involvement in the 6 year conflict on 30th April 2009.:flowers:

Thank you everyone for your info. That's very good news. I didn't know Iraq was anywhere near ready for the withdrawal of British combat troops.

Thank you everyone for your info. That's very good news. I didn't know Iraq was anywhere near ready for the withdrawal of British combat troops.

Whether Iraq is/was ready is a mute point but the fact is that most countries have or are pulling out of Iraq.

Queen pays tribute to Iraq veterans at St Paul's

They gave their lives for Queen and country.
And today the Queen paid tribute to that sacrifice when she joined dignitaries to remember those members of the Armed Forces who lost their lives in Iraq.

Veterans and bereaved families joined the Queen, Gordon Brown and senior military leaders for the poignant event held at St Paul's Cathedral.

Senior royals also took their place among the congregation, including the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and the Princess Royal.
Also present were significant figures who played important roles in the campaign, from ex-prime minister Tony Blair who led Britain into war to former heads of the Army Sir Mike Jackson and Sir Richard Dannatt. Leader of the Conservative party, David Cameron was also in attendance

More pictures can be found at Getty Images.
Pictures from Belga can be found here.

It is great to see that whatever their opinion of the war may be, British people are so clearly behind their brave soldiers. It was a wonderful and dignified service.
But, and I am really sorry if some people do not like this comment, I wish Blair and his wife refrained from attending.

Last edited:
Gosh, what a terrific look of Princess Michael and HM looked also great. :flowers:

looks like the Earl of Ulster walking behind the Countess of Wessex on the steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom