British Royal Family Current Events 1: November 2002-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Treasures held at Windor Castle go back to Ethiopia

Britain returns Ethiopian historic treasuries to country

A sword looted by British troops who defeated an Ethiopian army 137 years ago has been returned, a leading scholar on Ethiopia says, adding that Britain is holding many more treasures it should hand over.

Tony Watts of Bapty Ltd., a theatrical props company in London, said the sword that had been in the family-owned firm for years but never used as a prop, said historian Richard Pankhurst, who returned to Ethiopia with it Friday.

Pankhurst said a common friend told Watts about the campaign to return looted Ethiopian artifacts, which prompted Watts to hand over the sword to Pankhurst. The family knew it was an Ethiopian sword, but were not sure of its significance.

Ok I guess this is not very PC but I dont think the sword should have been given.

many of the treasures of the world's great museums were stolen. if we start down this whole "giving back" path, we'll be busy for a long time.

(plus, in a lot of places there are many different groups who claim to be the rightful owner,it could all get really complicated)

many of these treasures wouldn't exist today if they'd stayed in their original country. so I'm fine with them having been "stolen" and I don't think anyone should give anyone else any grief over it.

News!!!! From Royal Diary at The British Royal Website:
Tuesday, 8th November 2005

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh to 10th November - The President of The People's Republic of China and Madame Liu Yong Qing will pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom and stay at Buckingham Palace.

Wow!!!The second State Visit this year, but it would be a miss for the Duchess of Cornwall as she might be in The USA at the time, but it might be likely a State Visit for Her Majesty to China next year too.Great!!!!!!

I thought this was a interesting article...enjoy!

Posted 10/12/2005 7:14 AM Updated 10/12/2005 3:49 PM

The rightful king of England? He doesn't want the crown

JERILDERIE, Australia (AP) — If Australian forklift operator Mike Hastings is, as genealogists contend, the rightful heir to the British throne, then he really needs to brush up on his tea-making skills...
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2005-10-12-king-mike_x.htm

Any news about the visit of King Harlad, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince & Princess and Princess Astrid? It's just more than a week too. I know that they arrive on the royal yatch, Sonja and Mette-Marit are to visit a art center or something like that, the 26th are The Crown Prince and Princess going too Clarence House for tea with The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall. And I don't know much more, soo any news?

The next few days will be busy time for The Royal Family, with the commemorations of the Trafalgar Celebrations, the 60th Anniversary of the UN, the Official Visit of the Norwegian Royals, and the Official Visit to The United States.
Here the engagements from Sunday 23rd of October to Sunday 30th of October:
Sunday 23rd October
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall attend a service to commemorate the Two Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar, St Paul's Cathedral, London.
The Duke of York Admiral, Sea Cadet Corps, will attend a commemorative event in Trafalgar Square, London, to mark the Two Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar.
The Duke of York will attend the National Service of Commemoration marking the Two Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar, in St. Paul's Cathedral, London.
The Princess Royal Chief Commandant for Women in the Royal Navy, will attend a National Service of Commemoration to mark the Bicentenary of Trafalgar and the death of Vice Admiral Lord Nelson at St. Paul's Cathedral, London EC4.
The Princess Royal Chief Commandant for Women in the Royal Navy, will attend a Reception to commemorate the Bicentenary of Trafalgar and the death of Vice Admiral Lord Nelson at Guildhall, London EC2.

Monday 24th October
The Queen and The DUke of Edinburgh will attend a Service to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the United Nations, in St. Paul's Cathedral, London EC4.
The Princess Royal Patron, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, will attend a Vice-Presidents' Meeting and Dinner at Anglo American plc., 20 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1.
The Princess Royal will present the 2005 Queen's Award for Enterprise: Innovation at The Training Foundation, Technology House, Sir William Lyons Road, University of Warwick Science Park, Coventry.
The Duke of Gloucester Patron,Pestalozzi International Village Trust, will attend a Reception at the Orangery, Kensington Palace State Apartments, London.
The Duchess of Gloucester will visit St Monica's Hospital, Easingwold, North Yorkshire.
The Duke of Kent Chancellor, will visit The University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey.

Tuesday 25th October
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh to 27th October - The King and Queen of Norway will pay a Visit to the United Kingdom and stay at Buckingham Palace.
The Princess Royal Chancellor, University of London, will open the Blizard Building, Barts and The London, Queen Mary's School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, 4 Newark Street, Whitechapel, London E1.

Wednesday 26th October
The Duke of Edinburgh Patron, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, will give a Charter Founder Member Dinner at Buckingham Palace.
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will give a Rception for Americans living in the United Kingdom representing the Arts, Culture, Business, the Media and Public Service, in advance of Their Royal Highness's official visit to the United States.
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will receive The Crown Prince Haakon and The Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway.
The Duke of York will attend a Lunch marking the Two Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar at the House of Lords.
The Countess of Wessex will attend a Reception for Queen Alexandra's Royal Nursing Corps at The Royal Hospital Chelsea, London.
The Princess Royal will attend the 40th Anniversary of Royal College of Nursing Welsh Board, King George V Drive East, Cardiff.
The Princess Royal Chancellor, University of London, will open the new Engineering Sciences Building at University College London, Malet Place, London WC1.

Thursday 27th October
The Prince of Wales President of The Prince's Foundation for the Built Environment, will visit Nelson to receive a briefing on regeneration plans from members of the Whitefield Regeneration Partnership and to meet residents and community groups in St Mary's Church, Nelson, Lancs.
The Duchess of Cornwall will receive a delegation from Axminster to celebrate the 250th anniversary of producing carpets in the East Devon town of Axminster.
The Countess of Wessex will open a new community project during a visit to James Butler Alms Houses, Bagshot, Surrey.
The Princess Royal will attend a Dinner onboard HMS SEAHAWK, RNAS Culdrose, Cornwall.

Friday 28th October
The Prince of Wales, on behalf of The Queen, will hold an Investiture at Buckingham Palace.
The Countess of Wessex will visit the Girl Guide Training Centre, Princess Margaret Lodge, Foxlease, Lyndhurst, Hampshire SO43.
The Countess of Wessex Patron, The National Autistic Society, will visit Portfield School, Parley Lane, Christchurch, Dorset.
The Countess of Wessex will visit Wimborne Minster, Wimborne, Dorset.
The Princess Royal Patron, National Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux, will visit Mid Devon District Citizens Advice Bureaux, The Town Hall, St. Andrew Street, Tiverton, Devon.
The Princess Royal will open the High Ropes Course at British Seamen's Boys' Home, Grenville House Outdoor Education Centre, Berry Head Road, Brixham, Devon.
The Princess Royal will open the Penninsula Alllied Health Centre at The College of St. Mark and St. John, Derriford Road, Plymouth, Devon.
The Duke of Kent President, The Royal Institution of Great Britain, will attend the Friday Evening Discourse entitled "Codes and code breaking, from Enigma to the internet" by Dr. Simon Singh, at 21 Albemarle Street, London W1.
Princess Alexandra Patron of the Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Trust and Patron of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, will attend a Reception at the London Marriott Hotel, Grosvenor Square, London W1, to mark the fortieth anniversary of the Adult Cystic Fibrosis Unit at the London Brompton Hospital.

Saturday 29th October
The Duke of Kent President, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, will attend the rededication of the War Cemetery at Zossen, Germany.

Sunday 30th October
The Duke of Kent Royal Patron, The Dresden Trust, will attend the reconsecration of the Frauenkirche, Dresden, Germany.
Princess Alexandra will attend a Service of Thanksgiving at Christchurch Spitalfields, Commercial Street, London E1, in commemoration of the Fortieth Anniversary of the work of the Spitalfields Trust.

Last edited:
Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Andrew, Duke of York attend a service at St Paul's Cathedral on October 23, 2005 in London, England.

From getty

Attachments

• 55988287.jpg
    55988287.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 208
  • 55988328.jpg
    55988328.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 55988329.jpg
    55988329.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 562
  • 55988331.jpg
    55988331.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 55988333.jpg
    55988333.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 164
  • 55988336.jpg
    55988336.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 157
  • 55988347.jpg
    55988347.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 55988264.jpg
    55988264.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 55988289.jpg
    55988289.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
more photos from getty and anp

Attachments

• 55987696.jpg
    55987696.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 55987830.jpg
    55987830.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 55987813.jpg
    55987813.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 55987733.jpg
    55987733.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 55987703.jpg
    55987703.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 55987664.jpg
    55987664.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 55987621.jpg
    55987621.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 3124447.jpg
    3124447.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 478
  • 3124442.jpg
    3124442.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 222
  • 3124301.jpg
    3124301.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 242
mmm, the colour really suits The DUchess, and she does looks really stylish and elegant as well. She has done well, can't wait to see her in Tiara how will she looks like?:)

Princess Michael looks a lot like Sian Phillips in that photo. Must be because the blonde hair isn't showing.

How regal do Prince and Princess Michael look!

They could well be King Michael and Queen Marie-Christine!! :)

A South African newspaper once said "Prince Michael looks like a Prince ought to look" and I agree. In my opinion the Prince exudes a regal presence and charm and looks splendid in uniform. Despite the Princess' rather colourful outbursts at times her husband has rarley been vilified by the press as, like his brother and sister, he seems to have a great awareness of who he his and what his responsibilities are. It's no wonder that it has often been said that he is a great favourite with the Queen.

I'm kind of at a crossroads in my feelings about Camilla. I get the feeling that socially she would be a teriffic hoot and quite a loyal and caring friend and this makes me like her. But I also beleive that she and Charles were involved in a lot of wrong doing in having sexual relations when they both had spouses and children if their own. I think I could accept the situation if there was a break between Church and Monarchy as we are all human and it's time we accepted that Royals are really secular people and can't be held up as pillars of Christian virtue.

I think The Duchess looks great, very elegant and she knows how to dress for the occation, Im looking forward to seeing her at the Norwegian visit.:)

from UK Press.

Attachments

• Trafalgar_200_Service_1-UKP.jpg
    Trafalgar_200_Service_1-UKP.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Trafalgar_200_Service_2-UKP.jpg
    Trafalgar_200_Service_2-UKP.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Trafalgar_200_Service_3-UKP.jpg
    Trafalgar_200_Service_3-UKP.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Trafalgar_200_Service_4-UKP.jpg
    Trafalgar_200_Service_4-UKP.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Trafalgar_200_Service_5-UKP.jpg
    Trafalgar_200_Service_5-UKP.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Trafalgar_200_Service_6-UKP.jpg
    Trafalgar_200_Service_6-UKP.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Trafalgar_200_Service_7-UKP.jpg
    Trafalgar_200_Service_7-UKP.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 137
  • Trafalgar_200_Service_8-UKP.jpg
    Trafalgar_200_Service_8-UKP.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Trafalgar_200_Service_9-UKP.jpg
    Trafalgar_200_Service_9-UKP.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 140
Larzen said:
I think The Duchess looks great, very elegant and she knows how to dress for the occation, Im looking forward to seeing her at the Norwegian visit.:)

from UK Press.

Thank you for all the pictures.
I agree...the Duchess looks fantastic, she blends in well. Wow, who would have thought, that the Duchess would become one of my favourite Royals.

I'm kind of at a crossroads in my feelings about Camilla. I get the feeling that socially she would be a teriffic hoot and quite a loyal and caring friend and this makes me like her. But I also beleive that she and Charles were involved in a lot of wrong doing in having sexual relations when they both had spouses and children if their own. I think I could accept the situation if there was a break between Church and Monarchy as we are all human and it's time we accepted that Royals are really secular people and can't be held up as pillars of Christian virtue.

There isnt really a need to seperate church and state. They are not ment to be Christian role models as a whole. Remember, forgivness is one of the major pillars of christianity. Since charles is the only one who matters when it comes to the church it is he we should look at. He is a devout christian with a modern approuch to religion and tolerance. He has maken up for his mistakes and has moved on with the churches blessing. He is fit to be head of the church. It takes time to forgive and forget but it is usually best to try.
Is it just me or does Prince Micheal look like the last Czar of Russia. I cant wait to see Camilla in a tiara.

Re:

The Duchess does look extremely radiant. It's brilliant that people are finally getting a chance to see how well she does at official ceremonies. I want to see a pic of Queen Sonja giving her a peck on the cheek!

A little question (i looking in my own collection for the photo) about camilla close, diana in 1988's christmas is the same colour combination?

this is the photo. I saw the same colour combination.

Source: mirrorpix

Attachments

• diana navidad en 1988.JPG
    diana navidad en 1988.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 190
Corazon

And????????????????????????

Many people wear that color combo.

yeah, yeah just was a question. you dont get angry, please.

Im not angry I just dont understand the reason to point that out. A lot of people wear that color combo.

yes, many people but in diana-camilla.............I don't knew, I don't knew.

I don't see the point of making a comparison. I am sure we can find plenty of same color combinations. I am sure Camilla has better things to do than to look a color combinations that Diana wore to copy her. What would be the point? They are two very different people. Diana was definitely a fashion icon.

As for Camilla, I think she looks great.

Well I'm afraid that if you are the head of a Christian Church, as the English Monarch is, then people will look to you for an example. Christianity is totally a relgion of forgiveness but there has to be an element of contriteness as well which some people have found rather lacking in the Charles and Camilla senario, notabley the Archbishop of Canterbury himself. He is said to be very angrey to this day about how their blessing ceremony was conducted and is reported as saying, " I agreed to conduct it as a ceremony of repentence and wore my simplest robes accordingly. The Prince assured me that there would be no glorification of the event and I took him at his word. However, when I seen Camilla float down St. George's in what one could only describe as a bridal gown and heard the choir in full voice I realised that I had been duped and I will never forgive the Prince of Wales for that deception".

james said:
Well I'm afraid that if you are the head of a Christian Church, as the English Monarch is, then people will look to you for an example. Christianity is totally a relgion of forgiveness but there has to be an element of contriteness as well which some people have found rather lacking in the Charles and Camilla senario, notabley the Archbishop of Canterbury himself. He is said to be very angrey to this day about how their blessing ceremony was conducted and is reported as saying, " I agreed to conduct it as a ceremony of repentence and wore my simplest robes accordingly. The Prince assured me that there would be no glorification of the event and I took him at his word. However, when I seen Camilla float down St. George's in what one could only describe as a bridal gown and heard the choir in full voice I realised that I had been duped and I will never forgive the Prince of Wales for that deception".

IS this a direct quote? What is your source?

the point? I don't knew, only I saw similarity colours. is strange for me to see camilla with some similarity with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom