The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
" Once there is a reasonable explanation for why it is an accident, "

Driver was drunk. They were speeding. Sounds reasonable to me. Let's move on, I say.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Majesty

BBC

"Britain's most senior policeman is to investigate whether the car crash which killed Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed was more than just an accident.

The announcement was made as separate inquests into the couple's deaths were opened and adjourned until 2005.

Coroner Michael Burgess said Sir John Stevens, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, would look at rumours surrounding the 1997 Paris crash.

Dodi's father, Mohamed Al Fayed, said he hoped "the truth" could now emerge.

On Tuesday it emerged that Paul Burrell, Diana's ex-butler, is to hand the inquest a letter in which she apparently claimed there was a plot to kill her in a crash.

The Daily Mirror claimed the letter appeared to show that Diana believed Prince Charles was behind the plans, although it pointed out the claims were probably "preposterous".

Diana 'not pregnant'

And the Times newspaper is expected to report on Wednesday that a post-mortem examination in 1997 found that Diana was not pregnant at the time of her death.

Conspiracy theorists have speculated Diana was carrying Dodi's child when she died, and that this was a motive for "plots" against her.

But BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said the Times is expected to quote former royal coroner Dr John Burton as saying he attended the British post-mortem and can categorically say Diana was not pregnant.

The inquests will be the first time the British authorities formally examine the couple's deaths, following a French inquiry which said their driver was drunk and speeding.

Announcing his decision to enlist Sir John Stevens' help, Mr Burgess said: "I am aware that there is speculation that these deaths were not the result of the sad but relatively straightforward road traffic accident in Paris."

Mr Burgess said Sir John's findings would help him decide whether the inquest, at the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre in London, needed to examine the rumours surrounding the crash.

He said police would be asked to interview potential witnesses to determine the extent and relevance of their evidence.

Mr Burgess said it was unusual for an inquest not to be opened soon after a death - even if it was quickly adjourned - but that there had been too little information to hold a hearing soon after Diana and Dodi's deaths.

Adjourning the case for 12 to 15 months he said the delay was necessary to consider the vast amount of information from the French investigation, and issues such as which witnesses to call.

Public inquiry

Arriving for Diana's inquest, Harrods owner Mohamed Al Fayed, said: "This is what we have been waiting for, for six years.

"At last, I hope we can see the light."

Mr Al Fayed maintains the deaths of his 42-year-old son and the 36-year-old princess were the result of a conspiracy and is calling for a full public inquiry.

He was also present when his son's inquest was opened at 1500 GMT in Reigate, Surrey, by Mr Burgess - who as well as being coroner of the Queen's Household is coroner for Surrey.

Afterwards, he repeated his belief that Diana and Dodi were the victims of "horrendous murder" masterminded by the establishment.

Diana's personal bodyguard, Trevor Rees Jones, was the sole survivor after their speeding Mercedes crashed in an underpass on the short trip from the Ritz Hotel to Mr Fayed's Paris apartment.

But he has said he can recall little of what happened.

Mr Burrell welcomed the inquest into Diana's death.

"I have always thought that an inquest would be a good idea. I will co-operate with the inquest in any way that I can."

Old 01-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Majesty

"Surrey coroner Michael Burgess has opened and adjourned for a year the inquests into the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales, and Dodi Al Fayed pending the results of a police inquiry into the crash that killed them.

BBC News Online looks at the issues surrounding the inquests.

Q: What are the questions to be answered about the circumstances of the deaths?

A: Inquests in England and Wales are limited fact-finding affairs.

They focus on who the deceased were; when and where the death occurred; and how the cause of death arose.

Expressions of opinion as to who might be to blame are not allowed.

But Mr Burgess has asked Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir John Stevens to lead an inquiry into the crash, to examine whether any findings may have a bearing on the inquest.

The move came as the Daily Mirror reported Princess Diana had written a letter before her death claiming Prince Charles was behind a plot to kill her.

Q: Will the coroner take the letter by Princess Diana into account?

A: BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said: "The coroner has said he wants to see any material that could be significant to the inquiry, and that letter could be such a document.

"But the fact that evidently Prince Charles is named... I think most people would find to be incredible and it would reduce the credibility of that letter."

Q: Is the inquest likely to end speculation over Princess Diana and Dodi's death?

A: Nicholas Witchell said: "This coroner.. is very aware that this inquest needs to be comprehensive and definitive.

"He is facing head on the speculation and conspiracy theories, and he has turned to the Metropolitan Police to investigate if there are any grounds for these suggestions."

Q: Is an inquest likely to satisfy all Mohamed Al Fayed's concerns?

A:Mr Al Fayed, Dodi's father, has said of the inquest: "This is what we have been waiting for six years... At last, I hope we can see the light."

But he has called for a public inquiry into the Paris crash, saying the remit of the coroner's inquest is far too narrow.

Q: Will the inquest re-open old wounds for the Royal Family?

A: The Daily Mirror's story and the intense speculation surrounding the death of Diana and Dodi will put Prince Charles under pressure.

It is also likely to prove very distressing for Princes William and Harry.

Q: Why has it taken six years to open inquests?

A: Before the coroner began, he had to take into account the findings of the investigations and proceedings in France. These have been going on for years.

Only last month a court in Paris cleared three press photographers of breaching strict privacy rules on the night Diana and Dodi died.

About 6,000 pages of documents have been sent from France to the coroner. "
Old 01-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 6th, 2004 - 7:07 pm
BBC News Online looks at the issues surrounding the inquests.
This is a very interesting article, Dennism, thanks for sharing it.

I read an article in the paper at work this afternoon that asked a very insightful question: How many investigations into the cause of Diana (and Dodi's) death will be sufficient to satisfy everybody?

After the accident there was already one investigation that resulted in it being declared an accident: drunk driver, speed, not wearing seatbelts.

What if the coroner in this Inquest also finds that it, too, was an accident. Will someone somewhere order another Inquest? And the opposite of that: If the coroner in this Inquest finds that someone is responsible (maybe Charles, maybe not) for Diana and Dodi's death and that it was not an accident at all, maybe someone who supports Charles (or whomever may be accused of being responsible) will order another Inquest to prove Charles (or whomever)'s innocence.

It just seems like an unnecessary and vicious cycle to be dragging William and Harry and Diana's family through. Yes, there is something to be said for finding out the truth about the matter, but the "truth" may not be accepted by everybody.

I personally think that the reasons for Diana's accident is going to turn into a something like the conspiracy theories surrounding JFK's assasination.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Majesty

"It just seems like an unnecessary and vicious cycle to be dragging William and Harry and Diana's family through. Yes, there is something to be said for finding out the truth about the matter, but the "truth" may not be accepted by everybody.

I personally think that the reasons for Diana's accident is going to turn into a something like the conspiracy theories surrounding JFK's assasination. "

Yes, I was going to say those boys. I mean those young men have been through too much already. Let's move on already. Conspiracists will always search for something in everything.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 6th, 2004 - 7:35 pm
Yes, I was going to say those boys. I mean those young men have been through too much already. Let's move on already. Conspiracists will always search for something in everything.
Have the boys/young men said they don't want the investigation into their mother's death (aside from the French investigation which left many questions unanswered)?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:44 AM
Nobility

As far as I understand it, it's the law that there has to be an inquest in Britain. It would be the same for any British citizen who dies in an accident while overseas.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:56 AM
Courtier

Both Prince William and Prince Harry have said numerous times that they wish for people to leave their mothers accident alone. They want to move on with their life and that it is hard to do so with rumors concerning their mother constantly flying about.

Another thing...if it should come out that Charles had something to do with the accident (which I still firmly believe was just that...an accident. No one was "involved"), imagine what that will do to the two young men who have been through so much already. They would lose yet another parent and quite possibly every sense of stability and love they ever believed in.

Let this end for them...
Old 01-07-2004, 02:00 AM
Majesty

BBC

"Rumours Princess Diana was pregnant when she died are false, a former royal coroner who saw her post-mortem has said.

Dr John Burton said he could tell she was not expecting a baby when he looked at her womb.

"I was actually present when she was examined. She wasn't pregnant. I know she wasn't pregnant," he told The Times newspaper.

The rumours were raised again last month when Dodi's father, Mohamed Al Fayed, petitioned Scotland's Court of Session for a public inquiry into the deaths.

Conspiracy theorists have speculated that Diana's alleged pregnancy was a motive behind "plots" to kill her - claims dismissed as "bizarre" by Dr Burton.

Dr Burton, who was one of only two people at Diana's post-mortem, told the Times: "She had only met Dodi six weeks before.

"Even if she got pregnant the first time she met him, that he shook hands and got her pregnant, the baby would only be six weeks old at most.

"It doesn't stop everybody wanting to believe it"

Diana and Dodi died after their car crashed in a Paris underpass in 1997.

A French inquiry ruled the crash was caused by their driver being drunk and speeding.

Blood test

Under the Coroners Rules in Britain, post-mortem reports must include the results of internal examinations of the deceased's generative organs.

Dr Burton said a blood test would not be necessary to tell if the Princess was pregnant if she had been internally examined.

"You wouldn't need to do any tests if you looked at the womb, and you are required to by the Coroners Rules," he added.

On Tuesday, it was announced that Britain's most senior policeman is to investigate whether the fatal crash was more than just an accident.

Coroner Michael Burgess said Sir John Stevens, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, would look at rumours surrounding the 1997 Paris crash.

Speculation

Dodi's father, Mohamed Al Fayed, said he hoped "the truth" could now emerge.

The inquests will be the first time the British authorities formally examine the couple's deaths.

Announcing his decision to enlist Sir John Stevens' help, Mr Burgess said: "I am aware that there is speculation that these deaths were not the result of the sad but relatively straightforward road traffic accident in Paris."

Adjourning the case for 12 to 15 months he said the delay was necessary to consider the vast amount of information from the French investigation, and issues such as which witnesses to call.

Diana's personal bodyguard, Trevor Rees Jones, was the sole survivor after their speeding Mercedes crashed in an underpass on the short trip from the Ritz Hotel to Mr Fayed's Paris apartment.

But he has said he can recall little of what happened.

Mr Burrell welcomed the inquest into Diana's death.

"I have always thought that an inquest would be a good idea. I will co-operate with the inquest in any way that I can."
Old 01-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Gentry

Vh1 has a show called "The Fabulous Life of". Last night's episode was about William and Harry; it's on again at 1:30 this afternoon (Eastern time). VH1 :flower:
Old 01-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Courtier

The show referred to William as "the prince of Wales", and said that EIIR owns the palaces, so I'm doubting the accuracy of some of what was presented.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness

sO, YOU ARE SAIYNG THAT THE SHOW IS BAD??????????????
I JUST CUET TO SEE THE PROGRAME BECAUSE I CAN NOW THE CORRECT HOUR. TODAY IS SOPOSE START TO 7.30 PM AND NOTHING.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Nobility

They didn't mean that William was the Prince of Wales (i thought that at first), they meant that he was a prince, of wales. He is Prince William of Wales. I found out some really interesting information from that show, it was really good.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Courtier

They said "the prince of Wales". If they meant Prince William, then they made a mistake in how they referred to him. They kept calling him "Prince William" and "Prince William of Wales", so either they completely goofed, or they got lazy.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

I must say that I find the current state of affairs within the British Royal Family deeply depressing. I have followed their fortunes/misfortunes acutley for over 20 years and would have have poured scorn on those who voiced the opinion that the monarchy would end on the death of Her Majesty. Alas I must concede that all is lost when she passes away for we have a Prince of Wales who has lost sight of the importance of country over self gratification and his sons who have never even considered duty to the realm over their own selfish pleasures!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Aristocracy

CHANNEL 4 PLANS CANDID FILM OF PRINCESS' LIFE

from Hello!

British TV station Channel 4 has confirmed it is planning a new dramatisation of the life of Princess Margaret. The broadcaster is courting controversy with the new production, which promises to pull no punches in its depiction of the Princess.

Margaret, who died in February 2002, was one of the most colourful and controversial members of the Windsor family. The feature-length docu-drama will look at her love affair with war hero Peter Townsend and her marriage to Lord Snowdon.

Joanne Whalley, who rose to fame in the 1989 film Scandal, is tipped to play the title role in Margaret Rose. It remains to be seen who will play Lord Snowdon, though the man himself has already offered producers a few words of advice on the matter.

The 73-year-old dismisses Hugh Grant as "too old" and Ralph Fiennes as "too tall", but thinks Joseph Fiennes or Colin Firth might fit the bill. And when asked who should be given first option, the charming aristocrat had a somewhat surprising response. "Why me, of course," he declared. "I can look quite young with make-up."
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Aristocracy

Actress Joanne Whalley, who has been tipped for the lead role, previously starred in the dramatisation of Christine Keeler's romance with disgraced Conservative MP John Profumo.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Serene Highness

I am far from being a conspiracy theorist but one simply cannot ignore the cctv footage from the Ritz hotel on the night Diana died. Henri Paul was neither staggering nor looked disorientated. Two nights ago my father- in- law offered to drive my husband and I from the pub. He had consumed just two pints of beer and looked fine but we would not have dreamed of letting him drive us home and insisted he take a cab with us which he did. According to medical experts the levels of alcohol in Henri Paul's blood would have meant that he was on the verge of collapse. No one in their right mind would let someone in such a state drive them anywhere and that is why, whatever the findings of the enquiry, the whole thing just dosn't add up.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Royal Highness

For those of you with access, right now on CNN, they are broadcasting a show called People in the News hosted by Paula Zahn. This week the show is about the British Royal Family. The show is about halfway through, sorry but I didn't even realize it was on myself until about two minutes ago. Here is the synopsis:

The Royals
Tune in to “People in the News” this week for an hour-long look at the British royal family and how they’re dealing with the monarchy’s latest scandals and misfortunes.

I'm sure they will probably rebroadcast the show if you are interested.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Majesty

Repeats. All times Eastern:

People in the News, CNN Jan 31 05:00pm
People in the News, CNN Feb 01 05:00am
People in the News, CNN Feb 01 02:00pm
People in the News, CNN Feb 01 07:00pm

Tags
british royal family, easter, polo, prince harry, princess beatrice