The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I would forward about Princess Diana's death in August 31st many people would respectfully by famous Princess Diana's death and closed at Althorp for anniversary following death of Princess Diana and will have some flowers at her old home and Althorp maybe more flower this years on Diana's birthday July 1st.

Sara Boyce

Old 01-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The Lord Chancellor, Lord Falconer, agreed the 1701 Act of Settlement, which governs the succession, was discriminatory but added that "for all practical purposes its effects are limited".
Well, one day, sooner or later, it's going to become an immediate problem. The royal family looks bad every time some piece of legislation is rammed through in the face of a crisis; if the government hasn't figured out by now that it's better to be proactive than reactive in some of these cases, it's asking for trouble down the road.

It doesn't matter how complex it is; the law that prohibits a royal from staying in the line of succession after marrying a Catholic is a piece of outdated discrimination that needs dealing with. Requiring the monarch to be a member of the CofE as long as the country has an Established Church is one thing; singling out a particular religion (actually a particular denomination) for discrimination while allowing all the others is quite another thing.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, one day, sooner or later, it's going to become an immediate problem. The royal family looks bad every time some piece of legislation is rammed through in the face of a crisis; if the government hasn't figured out by now that it's better to be proactive than reactive in some of these cases, it's asking for trouble down the road.

It doesn't matter how complex it is; the law that prohibits a royal from staying in the line of succession after marrying a Catholic is a piece of outdated discrimination that needs dealing with. Requiring the monarch to be a member of the CofE as long as the country has an Established Church is one thing; singling out a particular religion (actually a particular denomination) for discrimination while allowing all the others is quite another thing.
I agree with you Elspeth but I don't think we can blame the Royal Family for this. The legislation was put into place by a government and should be rescinded by a government. The problem with Mr Blair is he is to busy following his own agenda with a view, IMO, to making himself "President Blair" to be interested in this type of legislation. From what I have read recently he consistantly fails to consult the Queen (and it is her right to be consulted) on any matter of policy & legislation. Even matters like the Crown Solicitor being retitled. Whilst this might be a paltry thing it can only lead to more and more complex matters being done without the monarch even being aware that they are happening. As to the catholic issue it is outdated and needs to be addressed. When you see the good work that Princess Michael (a catholic) carries out despite not receiving any remuneration from Queen or Country it is ridiculous that her husband lost his place in the succession because he chose to marry her. His two nephews, The Earl of St Andrews & Lord Nicholas Windsor have also lost their places - The first because he married a catholic and the second because he became one! It is interesting to note that this is at present only affecting the Kent branch of the Royal Family who are descended from Princess Marina who remained Greek Orthodox throughout her life.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Oh, I wasn't suggesting blaming the royal family; I'm just saying that this stuff will make them look bad if it appears that laws have to be changed for the convenience of whichever member has decided to do something not covered by present laws. It isn't their fault that the government is refusing to sort this particular law out, but if things have to be done if an heir in the direct line decides to marry a Catholic, there'll be rumblings and mutterings that that bloody royal family expects the government to drop everything and sort out archaic laws for its convenience as though the government had nothing better to do blah blah blah. Rupert Murdoch (if he's still around) will have a field day.

BTW, did you know that Lord Downpatrick (the Earl of St Andrews's son) has also converted to Catholicism? I think it was sometime last year that I read about it.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Nobility

I think eventually the Act of Settlement will be removed as a tenet of the British constitution. It's a relic of a divided and wartorn age and it really does brand the British government with the enduring archaic spirit of institutional discrimination.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Oh, I wasn't suggesting blaming the royal family; I'm just saying that this stuff will make them look bad if it appears that laws have to be changed for the convenience of whichever member has decided to do something not covered by present laws. It isn't their fault that the government is refusing to sort this particular law out, but if things have to be done if an heir in the direct line decides to marry a Catholic, there'll be rumblings and mutterings that that bloody royal family expects the government to drop everything and sort out archaic laws for its convenience as though the government had nothing better to do blah blah blah. Rupert Murdoch (if he's still around) will have a field day.

BTW, did you know that Lord Downpatrick (the Earl of St Andrews's son) has also converted to Catholicism? I think it was sometime last year that I read about it.
if william falls in LOVE and wants to marry a catholic girl I think the english will be ecstatic, not about the catholic bit, but the romanticism of it. So a law will not be changed for their convenience but for a oersonallly life changing reason.

In Holland the idea of a catholic and a protestant was in 25 years ago unusual, now maxima is catholic, so is Marilene and it is no big deal.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
A Tory MP is to propose that future monarchs retire at the age of 75 and be replaced by a royal selected by the House of Commons.The 10-minute rule bill being introduced by Jonathan Sayeed, the 56-year-old Conservative MP for Mid Bedforshire, is not so rash as to want the present Queen, who is 78, to step down.

But it would allow elected representatives to choose who should occupy Buckingham Palace. That would address the issue - unsuccessfully raised by Labour's Lord (Alf) Dubs last week -of giving male heirs preference over female.

The Queen has three sons and two grandsons barring the route to the throne for Princess Anne - though her no-nonsense style might well appeal to MPs in all parties.

Neither proposal will happen. Bills such as Mr Sayeed's never become law. Nonetheless they do test the political temperature, allowing royalists and republicans to air their grievances. Last week the Lord Chancellor, Lord Falconer, dissuaded Lord Dubs from further pot stirring.

The Guardian

Anne would be a good choice or an Anne-like future Windsor. Hard-working and no-nonsense indeed. She would be a great choice! Anne for Queen! :)
Old 01-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
is ther any importants dates in February for the royal family
Birthdays, death of past royals , state visits or evenst that are intresting
could anyone help me with this one

and are there any yearly events where we can see the royals if so can you give me some dates
also are there any state visits soon?
when is ascot
Old 01-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
A Tory MP is to propose that future monarchs retire at the age of 75 and be replaced by a royal selected by the House of Commons.The 10-minute rule bill being introduced by Jonathan Sayeed, the 56-year-old Conservative MP for Mid Bedforshire, is not so rash as to want the present Queen, who is 78, to step down.
Well, if you're going to have the monarch selected by the House of Commons, you might as well get rid of the monarchy altogether.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
could anyone help me with this one

and are there any yearly events where we can see the royals if so can you give me some dates
also are there any state visits soon?
when is ascot
Hi Josefine.

Far as I know, February isn't a month where there's much in the way of big royal events. Prince Andrew's birthday is in February, but that's about all I can think of.

The royal engagements for February 2004 are listed at the royal family website here:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/SiteS...th=2&year=2004

If you feel brave enough to trawl through that lot, you might find something that's a high-profile engagement and likely to be repeated.

Royal Ascot is being disrupted this year because they're renovating the course; the races will be happening at York racecourse in June. I have no idea whether there'll be the usual carriage processions with the royal family or what will happen.

http://www.ascot.co.uk/
Old 01-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Majesty

thank you this is what i have made so far

Great Time For Royal Watchers - the coming events (visits, celebrations etc) & TV
Old 01-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Royal Ascot is being disrupted this year because they're renovating the course; the races will be happening at York racecourse in June. I have no idea whether there'll be the usual carriage processions with the royal family or what will happen.

http://www.ascot.co.uk/
According to the BBC the royal procession will take place as usual on all five days of the event.

I only wonder where all the royals will stay during the five days, probably in a hotel. Or perhaps on the royal train? (the Queen and the Duke).
Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Majesty

were they there togather?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

BUCKINGHAM PALACE BACKS LONDON'S BID FOR 2012 OLYMPICS

The Queen is to host a special dinner for members of the International Olympic Committee Evaluation Commission at Buckingham Palace on Friday, 18 February.

The event supports London's bid to host the Olympics in 2012, as IOC members conduct their evaluation of the capital's suitability.

IOC guests will arrive at a specially floodlit Buckingham Palace in a fleet of taxis. They will be driven past sentries to the Grand Entrance, which will be lit by flame torches to reflect the Olympic spirit.

After being greeted by The Princess Royal (herself a former Olympic competitor, President of the British Olympic Association, and a member of the International Olympic Committee), the IOC guests will move past a contingent of Yeomen of the Guard in their famous scarlet Tudor uniforms, up to the State Rooms.

Three generations of the Royal Family will be present to support the event. In the White Drawing Room, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will greet the special guests, who will be presented by The Princess Royal. The Princess's husband, Rear Admiral Timothy Laurence, and her daughter, Miss Zara Phillips (an expert horse rider in her own right), will also be there.

Politicians attending the event will be Prime Minister Tony Blair and Mrs. Blair; Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown; Tessa Jowell, Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport; Richard Caborn, Minister for Sport; Bill Rammell, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Foreign & Commonwealth Office; Michael Howard, Leader of the Opposition; and Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London.

Representatives of London's Olympic bid team will include Lord Coe and Barbara Cassani, respectively Chairman and Vice Chairman of London 2012 Ltd. Sporting ambassadors will include Sir Steve Redgrave, Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson, Denise Lewis and Jonathan Edwards. The British Olympic and Paralympic Associations will also be represented.

A formal photograph of The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh with members of the Evaluation Commission will be taken in the Music Room.

A reception in the Blue Drawing Room will follow, at which Nyetimber 1995 English sparkling wine will be served alongside the usual pre-prandial drinks.

Dinner, to be held in the State Dining Room, will feature roast fillet of sea bass with wild mushrooms, breast of duck with Bigarade sauce, braised chicory, snow peas, rösti potatoes, salad, and caramelised pear tart. Halal chicken will be offered to Muslim guests. Commonwealth wines will accompany the meal.

Entertainment throughout the evening will represent different parts of the UK. The Prince of Wales's Harpist Jemima Phillips will play at the pre-dinner reception, a quartet from the Coldstream Guards will play to welcome the guests and during the dinner, and The Queen's Piper and two pipers from Scottish regiments will play after the dinner.

After dinner, The Queen will take her guests into the Picture Gallery for coffee and to see a Royal Collection display of Olympic and sporting memorabilia.

IOC guests will take their leave shortly before 10pm, accompanied by pipers from the Irish Guards playing in the quadrangle.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

First two pics from the IOC dinner tonight!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IOC 18 feb 2005_1.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	95747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IOC 18 feb 2005_2.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	95748  
Old 02-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The State Visit of Italian President to England in March from 15th to 17th.But i think The Queen has paid a State Visit to Italy in 2000 so now she invite him to pay a State Visit.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 02-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

In the end of this month, Princess Anne will have some visits to Commonwealth South America countries.In March, Princess Anne will visit Luxembourgh.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 02-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Royal Highness

The Royals: Who Hates Who

Well I thought this article would start an interesting relationships about fragile/broken down relationships within the British royal family. (Hopefully this won't disappear.)

Friday 25 February 2005 08:41pm
THE ROYALS: WHO HATES WHO Feb 25 2005

By Julie Mccaffrey

THE father fell out with his daughter-in-law, the mother is miffed with her son and the grandsons are grumpy with their uncle.

The furious family feuds could be straight out of a soap opera... but the rows and ructions are simmering for real among the Windsors, threatening to wreck their desperate attempts to keep up appearances. Here's our guide to who hates whom in the Royal Family.

Keep it handy as the shenanigans over Charles and Camilla's wedding plans continue.

CHARLES V EDWARD

CHARLES called Prince Edward a "****ing idiot" for filming William in 2001. And Edward blames Charles for not investing in his telly firm Ardent Productions.

CHARLES v QUEEN

SHE made him have a civil wedding - and then refused to attend. He huffily branded the plans to marry in a register office a farce and reckons he feels battered and hurt.

CHARLES v PHILIP

THE Prince blames his father for sending him to tough boarding school Gordonstoun, which he hated - and for bullying him into marrying Diana.

PHILIP v ANDREW

THE Duke dislikes Andrew's blatant freeloading and lazy lifestyle believing he should spend more time performing royal duties than lowering his golf handicap.

Andrew hates Prince Philip because he deprived him of exclusive use of the golf course at Balmoral and treated his ex-wife Fergie harshly.

QUEEN v PUSHY

HM was upset with Princess Michael of Kent for revealing that she allegedly adopts cockney and Norfolk accents to mock people. She once sarcastically observed to Philip that Princess Pushy was "more royal than we are".

QUEEN v CAMILLA

THE Queen deplored the fact that Camilla and Charles cheated on Diana. She once referred to Camilla as "that wicked woman" and said she wanted nothing to do with her.

HARRY v CAMILLA

THE young Prince can't forgive her for making his late mother's life miserable. He disapproves of her marriage and avoids meeting her.

ANNE v CAMILLA

CAMILLA stole Andrew Parker Bowles from under Anne's nose and had the gall to marry him - then cheat on him. Anne has harboured a simmering hatred for her brother's mistress ever since.

PHILIP v EDWARD

PHILIP'S wimpish son dropped out of the Royal Marines in 1987. His dad, who is Captain General of the Marines, gave him an ear-bashing when he quit.

CHARLES v PUSHY

THE Prince was said to be "extremely upset" when Princess Michael of Kent threw a £15,000 champagne party at Kensington Palace just hours after his grandmother the Queen Mother's lying-in-state ceremony in 2002.

WILLIAM v EDWARD

Edward's TV firm Ardent Productions thumbed its nose at tight reporting restrictions to film Wills in St Andrews in 2001. An insider said: "If his uncle offered him an olive branch, William would hit him with it."

PHILIP v FERGIE

THE Duke called Fergie "pointless" after her toe-sucking scandal with American businessman John Bryan. He could never stand her frolicsome ways.

FERGIE v CHARLES

SARAH Ferguson hasn't forgiven Charles for the way he treated Diana. She thinks he was unsympathetic to her friend's problems and treated her appallingly by refusing to give up his mistress Camilla.

HARRY v EDWARD

HARRY was angry when a TV show Edward co-produced dubbed him the "spare heir" and said he aimed to emulate his fun-loving uncle Andrew.

ANNE v ANDREW

ANNE blames the Prince for bringing Fergie into the family. And she despairs of his lazy, freeloading habits when she works so hard at her royal duties.

ANDREW v EDWARD

ANDREW saw active service in the Falklands and feels he has nothing in common with his weakling younger brother. Edward is jealous of Andrew's success in the Navy and his good looks.

FERGIE v ANDREW

FERGIE despised her ex-husband for not standing up to his parents. She misses Christ-mas with her daughters as they spend it with the Royal Family.

ANNE v PUSHY

ANNE was furious when it was reported Princess Michael told a noisy group of black diners in New York to "go back to the colonies" (a claim she denied) and stood up for Harry after his Nazi uniform gaffe.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:34 AM
Nobility

I watched a documentary when Queen Elizabeth of Britain was 40 years on the throne in 1992 and fail to see where Princess Michael of Kent was out of line in talking about the Queen's Norfolk accent. Anyone who has seen this documentary will have seen the Queen visiting her stables at Sandringham whilst a young man and his infant daughter peer through the gate. She proceeds to say on camara, in a heavy Norfolk accent, "Oh look, nice horses!" and may I say that I found her tone of voice rude and condescending in the extreme as she totally ignored said man and child.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Heir Apparent

what about Diana,Princess of Wales and Sophie,Countess of Wessex? who hates who?

Sara Boyce

Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, easter, polo, prince harry, princess beatrice