British Royal Family Current Events 1: November 2002-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elspeth said:
Well, maybe Charles can get an organic security system installed like German shepherds and Dobies and so on, assuming they could be trained to ignore running ducks.

Thanks for the translation, Tiaraprin.:)

Not a problem. Just like to help. I want as many people as possible to be able to read what is posted. Thus, I help any way I can.

Kabaka of Buganda

Idriel said:
I'm not sure about the English for Buganda, but they definitely talk about a Kingdom in the article.
This is well off-topic, but here goes... Buganda (also Baganda) is one of the four traditional kingdoms of Uganda. After the fall of Idi Amin the kingdoms were restored within the republic, then the new President Milton Obote tried to suppress them, but they have outlasted him as well. Buganda is the "senior" and largest of the kingdoms; it probably lost the territory with majority Hutu/Tutsi populations to Rwanda.

The current Kabaka (King) of Buganda is Ronnie Mutebi, son of Sir Edward (King Freddie) Mutesa II (d 1971), who was enthroned in 1993.

Warren said:
This is well off-topic, but here goes... Buganda (also Baganda) is one of the four traditional kingdoms of Uganda. After the fall of Idi Amin the kingdoms were restored within the republic, then the new President Milton Obote tried to suppress them, but they have outlasted him as well. Buganda is the "senior" and largest of the kingdoms; it probably lost the territory with majority Hutu/Tutsi populations to Rwanda.

The current Kabaka (King) of Buganda is Ronnie Mutebi, son of Sir Edward (King Freddie) Mutesa II (d 1971), who was enthroned in 1993.

I have a friend from Buganda. I almost met His Majesty and his wife Queen Silvia. My friend had received an invitation in honor of Their Majesties' visit to NY a few years back. My friend invited me to come with her and I was thrilled and practicing my curtsey!! She told me native Bugandans actually get down on their knees and prostrate themselves at the King's feet!! I told her he is going to have to accept a curtsey!!:p

Unfortunately, I did not get to meet Their Majesties. Too many were invited to the reception and they cut the Guest List.

Almost, but...

tiaraprin said:
I did not get to meet Their Majesties. Too many were invited to the reception and they cut the Guest List.
You got bumped? Outrageous!
(thanks for confirming there really is a Kabaka of Buganda!).

:)
W

Warren said:
You got bumped? Outrageous!
(thanks for confirming there really is a Kabaka of Buganda!).

:)
W

There is Warren, I can assure you. I have film footage of His Majesty's wedding to Silvia. Silvia is a graduate of New York University and had her own thriving business when she met His Majesty. Her wedding dress and tiara were beautiful. She dressed in traditional western style. His Majesty was dressed in the Bugandan Style.

They wanted their wedding to combine the Western and the traditional African. They had the African drumming, and the singing. They took their vows in a Christian Church. It was a wonderful mix of the traditional and the new!!

Queen Elizabeth ll and Prince William attend the Braemar Royal Highland Gathering on September 3, 2005 in Braemar, Scotland. The Aberdeenshire town has hosted the modern Gathering comprising traditional highland sports since 1832 which has its origins in the 12th century. It is the first time that Prince William has attended

From getty

Attachments

• 54463053.jpg
    54463053.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 143
  • 54462944.jpg
    54462944.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 54462966.jpg
    54462966.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 54462991.jpg
    54462991.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 54462995.jpg
    54462995.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 54462996.jpg
    54462996.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 54463011.jpg
    54463011.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 54463013.jpg
    54463013.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 54463018.jpg
    54463018.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 54463044.jpg
    54463044.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
and more images from getty

Attachments

• 54463047.jpg
    54463047.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 54463052.jpg
    54463052.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 54463057.jpg
    54463057.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 54462758.jpg
    54462758.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 54462755.jpg
    54462755.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 54462748.jpg
    54462748.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 54461819.jpg
    54461819.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 54462162.jpg
    54462162.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 54462166.jpg
    54462166.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 54462167.jpg
    54462167.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Thanks for the new pictures of the Braemar Games. fanletizia.It's really happy to see Prince William together with his grandparents like this.He seems really enjoy and smile lots.But i think i don't really like The Queen's hat, it's not a beautiful hat, the outfit and the colour were alright,just except the hat.

Last edited:
More pictures of the Braemar Highlands Games from Abacausa Press:

Attachments

• 400158.jpg
    400158.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 400159.jpg
    400159.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 400160.jpg
    400160.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 400161.jpg
    400161.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 400206.jpg
    400206.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 140
  • 400207.jpg
    400207.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 160
  • 400208.jpg
    400208.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 400209.jpg
    400209.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 400210.jpg
    400210.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 400212.jpg
    400212.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the photos.

I agree, I don't particularly like her majesty's hat either, but it is nice to see William with his grandparents, as well.

But it's a lovely color on her.

Harry's polo shirt said:
Were is their security!! My goodness!
Well, the police nabbed him as soon as he got into the forecourt. To stop people getting over the fence they'd need to electrify it or put razor-wire on top. Not a good look for the Palace! I would think the serious security is designed to stop unauthorised people getting into the building itself. Between the (front) fence and the Palace is open area, so any intruder is quite exposed.

Posted by HMQueenElizabethII:
Visit of King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway, 25-27 October 2005
King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway have accepted an invitation from The Queen to visit the United Kingdom as part of the celebrations to mark the centenary of Norwegian independence.

Their Majesties will be accompanied by Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit.
From the announcement of Buckingham Palace today:
clear.gif
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page4456.asp

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Other royals than Prince Philip and the Queen atted? and have you a sate when the statue of the Statue of Queen Maud will be unveiled?[font=verdana, arial] [/font]

Last edited:
So we will soon have pics of Norways King and Queen How wonderful When was the Queens last visit to Norway (im new by the way:))

Royal Fan said:
So we will soon have pics of Norways King and Queen How wonderful When was the Queens last visit to Norway (im new by the way:))
Welcome to The Royal Forums, Royal Fan.
May you enjoy the time you spend here.​

I don't know when the Queen last visited Norway, but we are looking forward to the Norwegian visit because there will no doubt be a full-on Tiara Event.
We are hoping to see the first pictures of the Duchess of Cornwall glittering in a tiara at this occasion.

Mette-Marit is going to be with .. and at that time she is 8 months pregnant!!:eek:

LaMinka said:
Posted by HMQueenElizabethII:
Visit of King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway, 25-27 October 2005
King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway have accepted an invitation from The Queen to visit the United Kingdom as part of the celebrations to mark the centenary of Norwegian independence.

Their Majesties will be accompanied by Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit.
From the announcement of Buckingham Palace today:
clear.gif
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page4456.asp

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Other royals than Prince Philip and the Queen atted? and have you a sate when the statue of the Statue of Queen Maud will be unveiled?

In the Norwiegian in the UK link at it says that Princess Astrid will take part in some of the events of the visit. I hope she attends the banquet as well. I do hope that we get more pictures from the banquet rather than just the usual one of The Queen, Prince Philip and the visitng head of state and their spouse.

Warren said:
I don't know when the Queen last visited Norway, but we are looking forward to the Norwegian visit because there will no doubt be a full-on Tiara Event. We are hoping to see the first pictures of the Duchess of Cornwall glittering in a tiara at this occasion.

And the controversy will be over, and we'll finally know what tiara she's going to wear.

LaMinka said:
Mette-Marit is going to be with .. and at that time she is 8 months pregnant!!:eek:

They must think she's going to be feeling better by then. (Hope so.)

Have a look

Sara's link (post under) is worth a read.

The portrait painter discusses his experience with the Queen Mother and Princes William and Harry.

W

Right now I saw a documentary in the Odyssey channel about the castle of Windsor and the preparations / marriagesof charles and Camilla with unpublished images. The same documentary is going to give again tomorrow at 4am and 9am (English hour). Don't miss it!

New claim upon Lord Mountbatten's death

From the Belfast Telegraph

Fury over claim that IRA did not kill Mountbatten

30 September 2005

A CONTROVERSIAL new book which claims that the IRA did not murder Lord Mountbatten has been dismissed as "nonsense".

The book, Terminate with Extreme Prejudice, by author Richard Belfield, claims that Lord Mountbatten, was killed by another terror group - the INLA.

The book also claims that since the early 1970s there was an agreement in place between the leadership of the IRA and the top brass of the Army in London that the Royal Family was 'off limits'.

But the book was dismissed as "nonsense" today by North Antrim Assembly member Ian Paisley jnr.

Cousin to the Queen, Lord Louis Mountbatten (79), was murdered on August 27, 1979, when a bomb exploded on his fishing boat near his holiday home at Mullaghmore, Sligo.

He was murdered on the same day that 18 soldiers were killed in a bomb attack near Warrenpoint in Co Down.

Terminate With Extreme Prejudice is published by Constable & Robinson and sets out to 'expose the assassination game, its killers and their paymasters'.

Author Richard Belfield is a London-based journalist and film maker.

He argues that throughout the Troubles there was continual dialogue between the Government and republican and loyalist paramilitaries - through back-channels and face-to-face meetings.

I think that a member of the IRA was convicted of murdering Lord Mounbatten back then, in 1979.

I'm soooo excited!!

US viewers to take breakfast at Palace
By Caroline Davies
(Filed: 01/10/2005)
The Queen is to give the tourist industry a much needed boost by opening her palaces to one of America's leading breakfast shows.

She has agreed to allow ABC's Good Morning America to broadcast live next week from Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.

But viewers hoping for a glimpse of her padding around with corgis in tow will be disappointed. While the film crews take over, she has decided to stay at Balmoral.

It is hoped that the popularity of the Royal Family in America will have a positive effect on the tourist industry, especially after the London Tube bombings. The Duke of York has given an interview to ABC about tourism......
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/01/nqueen01.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/10/01/ixhome.html

I only watch Good Morning America...I am so excited now!

About Lord Mountbatten, I think that all possibilities should have been looked at and not dismissed. I think that when he was killed the first thing people thought was IRA because they knew what the IRA was. Since the INLA was relativly new at the time, they were not as firmiliar. Not to offend anyone, but I know (were I am from) when the US was attacted on Sept. 11, many people thought that it was Russia, because we were firmiliar with Russia, we were not as firmiliar with Afganastan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom