Anne, Princess Royal Current Events 5: April 2008-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wish I could recycle like that

Copy that! She looks really lovely there!

I'm not sure how to take this article, they seem to bash her for being thrifty, then praise her and remark on how many outfits she recycles. . . :ermm:

At least she's not a spendthrift or they'd be bashing her for that. I just wish I could fit in all my old clothes! That she can wear the same dress after 27 years is amazing--good for her!

At least she's not a spendthrift or they'd be bashing her for that. I just wish I could fit in all my old clothes! That she can wear the same dress after 27 years is amazing--good for her!
Probably because she's a lot more disciplined than I shall ever be!

Pics 26.1.2009

Princess Anne visits the Didcot Arts Centre, Didcot,
Britain - 26 Jan 2009 - Pic 2 is a very nice shot :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Way to go, Anne! Wearing the same outfit and still looking good!

Pics 8.2.2009

Princess Anne attends the match Scotland v Wales at the
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh, Scotland, 08 February 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Pic 14.2.2009

HRH Princess Royal and husband Tim Laurence look on during
the RBS 6 Nations match at the Stade de France, Paris, France
February 14, 2009 - I didn't see them immediately;)

-----> Pic

They both look very relaxed....

Last edited by a moderator:
HRH Princess Royal and husband Tim Laurence look on during
the RBS 6 Nations match at the Stade de France, Paris, France
February 14, 2009 - I didn't see them immediately;)

-----> Pic

Anne bears an astonishing resemblance to Princess Margaret in that photo.

Princess Royal to attend Memorial Service for bushfire victims in Melbourne

Staff at Buckingham Palace have announced that Princess Anne will fly to Australia to represent the Queen at the Memorial service for the bushfire victims to be held this Sunday.
The Princess will then tour fire-affected areas on Monday.

ABC News

Maybe this will forge goodwill and keep Republicans at bay.

It's just as likely, unfortunately, that the Republicans will complain about the cost.
My own opinion, though, it that a Royal visit is the highest statement that the British Government can make about their concern for the Australian people. I hope that The Princess Royal is well-received.:flowers:

Maybe this will forge goodwill and keep Republicans at bay.

Personally I think that most Australians couldn't care less one way or the other whether a member of the RF was here or not. It will rate a blip on the radar.

However, sending the 10th in line to the throne, rather than the next king or someone else closer to the throne, to me, shows that the RF are fully aware that Australia will become a Republic some day and that Charles will probably never be our King so why waste a visit here by him when he can do forging links for Britian in the mid-East.

It's just as likely, unfortunately, that the Republicans will complain about the cost.
My own opinion, though, it that a Royal visit is the highest statement that the British Government can make about their concern for the Australian people. I hope that The Princess Royal is well-received.:flowers:

British Government? Hmm, I don't think so.

It would however seem to be the highest statement that could be made by HM the Queen of Australia, given her attendance just isn't viable and the Prince of Wales is required elsewhere...(?)

The Queen personally asked the Princess Royal, so it's been reported, to undertake the visit on her behalf. That to me says alot about HM commitment to her distant commonwealth.

A message of condolence, a personal donation, sending a senior familial representative of the Crown on her behalf and being kept up to date with daily briefings about the situation from the Victorian Emergency Services says to me the Queen certainly cares...:)

However, sending the 10th in line to the throne, rather than the next king or someone else closer to the throne, to me, shows that the RF are fully aware that Australia will become a Republic some day and that Charles will probably never be our King so why waste a visit here by him when he can do forging links for Britian in the mid-East.

I do think Charles & Camilla should be doing the trip to Australia,but there might be reasons behind the decision to send Anne. Line of succession notwithstanding, in my mind, Anne is the next most senior royal after the Wales family - I know it is not true, but I guess because she is far harder working than either of her younger brothers that I attribute a greater place to her in the royal hierarchy than is hers. Not sure how others posters feel...

Within the female Royal order of precedence Anne ranks second after HM, which is senior enough.

Oh yes, absolutely, I agree with you. I think that HM cares very much for her "realms beyond the seas."

Still the government would have to be involved at some point and could have squashed the Royal visit had they not agreed with it.

British Government? Hmm, I don't think so.

It would however seem to be the highest statement that could be made by HM the Queen of Australia, given her attendance just isn't viable and the Prince of Wales is required elsewhere...(?)

The Queen personally asked the Princess Royal, so it's been reported, to undertake the visit on her behalf. That to me says alot about HM commitment to her distant commonwealth.

A message of condolence, a personal donation, sending a senior familial representative of the Crown on her behalf and being kept up to date with daily briefings about the situation from the Victorian Emergency Services says to me the Queen certainly cares...:)

Oh yes, absolutely, I agree with you. I think that HM cares very much for her "realms beyond the seas."

Still the government would have to be involved at some point and could have squashed the Royal visit had they not agreed with it.

I too agree that Her Majesty does truly care about Australia and her other realms but unfortunately for her that isn't necessarily reciprocated by the citizens of those countries.

I have the absolute love and respect for the Queen and I hope that no one has read my posts to suggest anything else.

I do though think that sending the Princess Royal and not our future King is a sign that The Queen and the RF and British and Australian governments are fully aware that at some time in the future we will be a republic. Had that not been the case then Charles would have bee the one to cancel his engagements and visit a country over which he would be King and a state in which he spent, according to him, some of the happiest of his school days. For anyone interested this is the link to the school that Charles attended in Australia http://www.ggs.vic.edu.au/index.asp?menuid=060.050.020. This is the actual part of the school he attended which is where one year group spends the year.

I think it's very appropriate for The Princess Royal to be visiting Australia at this dreadful time, her presence will be soley as Her Majesty's representative and will carry out the engagements with dignity and in a manner we can expect from HRH.

C and C could be seen as having an agenda for visiting while Anne does not have any such pressure or preconceptions

Last edited:

But we are talking of why Anne will be attending, and it's not because the British government willed it. They merely consented where/if needed. It is however because the Queen of Australia wished it, personally.

The British government would not veto a royal visit to Australia by a member of the royal family when representing the Queen of Australia, as is here the case. They'd be very hard pushed to justify any such move which would be a great insult and disregard toward a foreign Crown.

My initial reaction was that Charles should be the one to come, since he is the PoW and, despite the fact it seems inevitable we will become a republic in the relatively near future, Charles is next in line to be our monarch and still might be King of Australia for a while. However Charles would probably bring his wife, and, while I would love to see them both here, the Camilla factor might turn what will be a very solemn occasion into a bit of a circus, with an inappropriate amount of attention being given to Camilla and what she wears and some elements in the media might be unable to resist the temptation to bring up the old CDC triangle and we might even see a photo or two of Diana in the glossies.

OTOH Anne has the reputation of being a very hard working and serious-minded senior member of the RF, and I agree with Muriel's assessment of her position in the heirarchy. The papers won't be talking about Anne's clothes or jewels, and she will look appropriate in the field.

So I have concluded that The Princess Royal is the perfect choice.

I don't want to split hairs here. The Queen wanted to send Anne, and the UK Government allowed Anne to leave the country. Even HM can't leave the UK without government authority.

I think that it's wonderful that The Princess Royal is going.

Sometimes I think that some of the junior members of the RF are more interested in the Commonwealth than Prince Charles is. But that's another discussion for another time.:flowers:

But we are talking of why Anne will be attending, and it's not because the British government willed it. They merely consented where/if needed. It is however because the Queen of Australia wished it, personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Princess Royal gave a lovely speech on behalf of her mother and herself. She looked really nice at the memorial service. I'm glad that she came to Aus to represent the British Royal Family :flowers:

I don't want to split hairs here. The Queen wanted to send Anne, and the UK Government allowed Anne to leave the country. Even HM can't leave the UK without government authority.

I think that it's wonderful that The Princess Royal is going.

Sometimes I think that some of the junior members of the RF are more interested in the Commonwealth than Prince Charles is. But that's another discussion for another time.

...a Royal visit is the highest statement that the British Government can make about their concern for the Australian people

It was the Queen's wish that Anne attend, on her behalf as Sovereign of Australia. The British government would have had relatively little to do with it other than granting her leave, which may I add, is required of any citizen of Britain when travelling abroad. Royal or otherwise (Of course I'm certain you know that, and one wasn't/isn't attempting to 'enlighten' you for the sake of being argumentative, I assure you).

Her attendance was not on behalf of the British government, as the above extract suggests; But on behalf of the Crown of Australia. An entirely seperate Crown from that of the UK. Much like your very own.​

PM Gordon Brown's conversation with PM Kevin Rudd, however, was to convey the UK's condolences and support, should it be needed. Now that is the UK expressing it's concern for those effected, and for Australia in general.​

I think we understand one another, now :flowers:

The Princess Royal gave a lovely speech on behalf of her mother and herself. She looked really nice at the memorial service. I'm glad that she came to Aus to represent the British Royal Family​

Wasn't it just. I too am glade HRH the Princess Royal represented HM the Queen. Though if you may permit me to add, crisscross1...Anne wasn't representing the BRF, but the Queen of Australia.

Below can be found the address given by
HRH The Princess Anne, Princess Royal on behalf of
HM Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia

Third video link down

Pics 22.2.2009

Britain's Princess Anne attends a National Day of Mourning ceremony
in Melbourne February 22, 2009. Australians observed a day of mourning
on Sunday for the more than 200 people killed in this month's bushfire
disaster, with thousands attending solemn ceremonies across the country.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** Princess Anne in bushfire tribute **

Where was Anne seated during the service? Was she in the front row with the Prime Minister and the Governor General or was she in the 3rd-4th row with foriegn dignitaries?

Ugh. Can't she get rid of that hairstyle? It's awful. Makes her looks so hard and cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom