Anne, Princess Royal Current Events 5: April 2008-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for the responses. It was my mistake as after reading the comments I did go back and google "Princess Anne wedding" and clearly her hair is much darker than I remembered. I have children who were tow headed when young, dark blonde as teenagers and my son actually ended up with almost black hair (like his paternal grandmother). It was my mistake, I had thought that her hair stayed light much longer than it did. It's too bad that she is so conservative (like my daugher) because her hair really does look better a bit lighter .... hence all the various ladies in the entertainment industry in the US who seem to become more "blonde" as they get older. :)

There is another serious point to the 'dowdy' sort of way in which Anne dresses [and I suppose the Queen come to that - although HM does seem to be getting quite stylish in recent years]. The point is that as Anne sticks to a sort of non-style way of dressing and 'THAT' hairstyle, she doesn't really seem to 'date' so much and therefore she does not seem to 'age' so much! Find a picture of Anne undertaking a Royal Engagement in 1975 (say) and she looks broadly similar if you compare her undertaking a current royal engagement. [And if the dress is the same, then she will look almost identical!!

Perhaps also one aspect to look at is that as Anne has been doing engagements for decades, it could be a standing point with her that if she sticks to one mode of dress and hairstyle, people will be used to seeing her and it would focus more on the "persona" of the Princess Royal at an event and the main focus on the event itself rather than Anne being the pivotal point of interest herself. She's never really come across as an attention seeker.

She would have made a great Queen. I can't even imagine what that must feel like, to have been born and bred to it, but missed it by gender and birth order. I'm sure royal families have learned ways of dealing with this, but Anne has managed to be queenly and truly enhance that title, Princess Royale.

I find it hard to believe that the Sloane set didn't factor in her status into their quotient of attractiveness (as they had every reason to do). A poor non-royal who looked identical would probably not have been considered "reasonably attractive with her hair down" by that Sloane set.

Diarist, is Zara riding at Burghley? It'd be lovely to see her win it with her mother presenting the prize.

Hello HRH Hermione, Yes, Zara is competing on her horse High Kingdom. This bay gelding is one of two horses she has who she feels are her best hope of gaining her a place on the GB Olympic squad next year. [Her other 'good horse' is Lord Lauries.]

Zara's superlative mount in recent years has been Toytown, but he has been prone to injury in the past [which was why Zara was forced to miss the Olympics in 2008 and 2004 - had Toytown been fit, I believe that there would have been a very good chance that Zara could have brought home an Olympic medal on both occasions, perhaps even gold - she was, after all, World Champion in 2006]. Toytown was officially retired after the Gatcombe Park Trials at the start of this month].

I am sure that most members of TRF know this, but Eventing consists of 3 disciplines: Dressage, Cross Country and Show Jumping. It is also known as a 'Three Day Event' because traditionally, Dressage took place on the first day, Cross Country on the following day and then Show Jumping on the final day. However, because of the ever-increasing number of entries, the '3 day event' is really a '4 day event' at some Trials. Incidentally, the term '3 day event' is never used by the horsey crowd - they refer to it as 'Trials'. The most famous 'Trials' is probably Badminton [held at the home of the Dukes of Beaufort (royal bastards originally!!]. The Royal Family used to turn out in full force for Badminton [and not because of the fact that the Princess Royal used to compete there] but because the previous Duke, known as 'Master' (but only to his close aquaintances!!!) was a close friend of the Queen and the Queen Mother]

Burghley is therefore likely to be a real 'family affair' this year: Mark Philips has designed the course, Zara is competing and the Princess Royal is due to present the prizes on the Sunday. It promises to be a very jolly occasion; I'd better go and sort out my wardrobe, so that I do not let the side down!! I will of course take my trusty camera with me.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Last edited:
Fantastic, thank you for the information! I knew Zara has retired Toytiwn and was having a hard time finding another horse of his caliber. It'll be interesting to see how she does at this event, because it'll give an indication of whether or not she'll have a horse for the Olympics.

Have a lovely time, and please do share pictures if you're comfortable doing so.

Thank you again!

HRH Hermione, I am continuing this discussion over on the 'Zara Phillips' thread, so that I do not stray further off topic.

Alex

On the 16th October 2011 - HRH Princess Anne will present the LPs granted the title 'Royal' to Wooten Bassett. I am glad, Anne has been chosen to do this engagement.

I once read that, superb a horsewoman as Zara is, she is not the equal of her mother!

Is this truly the case?
Who is considered better, Anne or Zara?

Thank you for these photographs Iceflower. I do love that Zara has followed in her mother's footsteps and is almost as successful too. Anne must be so proud of her. Zara certainly does bring an elegance to the field.

Last edited:
I once read that, superb a horsewoman as Zara is, she is not the equal of her mother!

Is this truly the case?
Who is considered better, Anne or Zara?

Hard to say, Mirabel. The four factors are 1. Horse Power and 2. Effort 3. Talent 4. Context.

Horsepower first: Both Anne and Zara have had good horses: this is not just due to the expense, but also the effort [see below]. Zara's best horse, IMHO, has surely been Toytown; her current best two horses [she has about a dozen horses at the moment] are High Kingdom and Lord Lauries. Both horses still need a little more experience [particularly Lord Lauries, because I think that High Kingdom is Zara's 'number one' horse] but again in my very humble opinion, I still think that none of Zara's mounts has yet reached the standard of Anne's Doublet, not even Toytown. This does not reflect any lack of effort on the part of Zara; it's just that Doublet was a horse in a million and I just don't think that Zara's are in the same league as Doublet.

Effort: Both Anne and Zara have worked very hard on 'making' their horses [as the expression is]. What makes a good horse is not just the 'physical' conformation of the horse but the hours of schooling, training -both with and without coaches, practising, competing etc. Both Anne and Zara have physically worked hard at this themselves: I can remember how, 40 years ago, people were astonished at how the Queen's daughter was doing things such as stable management and driving her own horsebox. People were fascinating when Anne was seen lining up with some very 'ordinary' people to sit her HGV licence [heavy goods vehicle licence to enable her to drive a horse box]. This was not such a surprise with Zara, who has not had a 'royal' upbringing... And look how Zara has not had a honeymoon either, because of the demands of her competitive sport...

Talent: I honestly think that there is actually little between Anne and Zara in terms of ability. I was watching Zara very closely all weekend and particularly in the cross-country phase, and I honestly think that there is litlte to choose between mother and daughter.

Context. In the 40something years that have passed since Anne began competing, in my very humble opinon, Eventing has become more professional. It is a full time job and more nowadays in a way that it did not seem to be when Anne started. It was still a time-intensive sport, but nowadays it seems even more so. All the horses and the background staff employed by the top eventers seem so much more.....hard to define it, actually, but when I was little, eventing did seem to be open to the more amateur competitor in a way that it does not nowadays. For a start, horses are proportionally far more expensive and you need so many of them nowadays etc etc. Zara and her fellow competitors nowadays seem to be so business-like in their approach. The huge costs of the sport mean that many riders need sponsorship. And there seem to be so many people of almost equal ability competing at Zara's level. IMHO, you now have to be better than ever and at such a level that perhaps did not exist 40plus years ago. Zara, in competing for an place in the GB Olympic team seems to be up against a more formidable opposition than perhaps Princess Anne did.

So there you have it; if you can split mother-and-daughter, it is only by the breadth of a hair IMHO.

Hope this helps

Alex

Last edited:
Thank you, Diarist! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your explanations of the inside workings of the BRF!

On September 12, Princess Anne visited Thorntons chocolatiers in Derbyshire to mark its centenary
(pic 1+2) and visited Denby Pottery Company Limited (pic 3+4).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

And on September 13, Princess Anne opened Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield and visited Bradford
Social Services Domiciliary Care, Bradford, West Yorkshire, to mark its 10th anniversary.

** Pic ** HRH The Princess Royal officially opens Wakefield’s Pinderfields Hospital **

** Pic ** Princess Royal returns to Eden Gardens, which she opened 10 years ago **

Thank you Iceflower. Princes Anne looked rather smart at Eden Gardens in her charcoal grey suit. I do love the way she chose to wear black gloves which match the black collar on the suit. Very chic oufit indeed.

:previous:

You are most welcome as always :flowers:

Today, September 17, Princess Anne and husband Tim Laurence attended the Whatley Manor
International Horse Trials at Gatcombe Park, Minchinhampton in Stroud.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

And on September 14, Anne has officially named the new Newcastle University Research
Vessel in Newcastle upon Tyne.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Research Vessel The Princess Royal **

Is it already cold in England?

We are still sweatin' here in Arkansas, USA.

We have autumn temperatures in Northern and Western Europe yet. In Worcester it's between 15-17 °C
these days (around 60-63 °F in case I counted right ;))

Has Sir Tim retired from active service in the Royal Navy? He seems to accompany the princess quite a lot these days when she is undertaking her engagements.

Has Sir Tim retired from active service in the Royal Navy? He seems to accompany the princess quite a lot these days when she is undertaking her engagements.

I don't know, but I haven't heard anything about a retirement.

Yesterday, September 27, Princess Anne with soldiers of the Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion
The Royal Regiment of Scotland attended the unveiling and dedication ceremony of a new war
memorial at Dreghorn Barracks, Edinburgh.

** Pic ** heraldscotland: Princess unveils memorial to heroes **

** video: Memorial to Scots troops killed in Afghanistan unveiled **

That is a great profile of Anne. Not to be disrespectful of the reason for the gathering, if one glances at the photo as a whole, it looks like the soldier in the foreground has mouse ears.

Thought so as well! :)

Yesterday, October 4, Princess Anne attended an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle.

** Pic **

On October 12, Princess Anne visited the HMS DIAMOND at sea off Plymouth, Devon.

** Pic ** royalnavy.mod.uk: Diamond visit for Princess Royal **

Today, Princess Anne accompanied by husband Tim unveilled a Letters Patent at a ceremony
to celebrate the town gaining the title "Royal" Wootton Bassett in Royal Wootton Bassett.

** wireimage/gettyimages gallery ** daylife gallery **

** BBC: Wootton Bassett given Royal prefix by the Princess Royal **

** telegraph.co.uk: Princess Anne says Wootton Bassett has 'set an example' for the nation **

** dailymail: Royal approval: David Cameron joins Princess Anne in renaming town recognised for role in honouring Britain's war dead **

Last edited:
My 1st Post here.

Hello I am new to this forum .I would like to share a potograph I took of HRH Princess Anne on a recent visit she made to Ratho in Scotland on 26th september 2011 to name our new boat St John Edinburgh for the Seagull Trust Cruises of which she is our patron.We use the boat to give free trips for disabled people throughout the Summer.We had a fine day weather wise and I think the picture sums up exactly the mood of the visit.
Best wishes to ye all
Liam

Welcome, thanks for posting such a great picture of Princess Anne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom