Anne, Princess Royal Current Events 5: April 2008-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

The slideshow from her visit to Norfolk includes some very nice pictures. Thanks for posting this, wbenson! :flowers:

On Monday, January 25, Princess Anne had a full schedule,
she visited West Glamorgan, Ysgol Maes Y Coed, the National
Waterfront Museumand opened Hazel Court in Swansea.

Here are some pics of the events:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

From today, February 11 till February 16, Princess Anne will be
in Canada. In her role as member of the International Olympic
Committee and President of the British Olympic Association
she will attend the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.

She arrived today for some pre-Olympia events:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Here's the link to the extra thread for all coming events:

** Royals attending the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, 12-28 February 2010 **

Oh very cool! I was hoping that a member of the BRF would show.
Now if they would have gotten that blizzard that hit the east coast instead of us. .. things would be ducky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Royal's surprise visit boosts morale in Afghanistan - Telegraph

The Princess Royal has made a surprise visit to British forces in Afghanistan.

The Princess spent time in Camp Bastion, the forces' main base yesterday, and met soldiers from a number of units including a group of military dog handlers.

Details of the trip could not be released until the Princess had left the country, following the pattern of zero publicity ahead of royal visits so as not to put troops at greater risk from insurgents.

Princess Anne's husband Vice Admiral Tim Lawrence has been with
her in Afghanistan.

Here are two pics the Ministry of Defence in London released today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Very cool! I was wondering if HRH would make a visit.

anne is certainly an admirable lady! i really liked how she visited afganistan. the pictures with the dog are beautiful!

Princess Anne attended the Grand Military Gold Cup Day at Sandown
Park Racecourse, Sandown, today. Among others she presented a
retirement salver to Brigadier Andrew Parker Bowles OBE, March 12,

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

Courtesy of Wireimage.:flowers:

Princess Anne and director of the Vancouver Art Gallery Kathleen Bartels and senior curator Ian Thom view Leonardo da Vinci's 500-year-old anatomical drawings presented in their entirety for the time ever and loaned by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for presentation in Vancouver during the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games at the Vancouver Art Gallery in Vancouver, Canada (13/03/2010).:)

http://i39.tinypic.com/24g2koh.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/30m27p3.jpg

Courtesy of Wireimage.:flowers:

Vancouver, Canada (13/03/2010).:)

http://i39.tinypic.com/24g2koh.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/30m27p3.jpg

The date is not correct, that would mean she was attending the
Paralympics that started yesterday. But the pics are from February
13, so they are one month older. The complete caption is this:

"The Princess Royal and director of the Vancouver Art Gallery Kathleen Bartels view Leonardo da Vinci's 500-year-old anatomical drawings presented in their entirety for the time ever and loaned by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for presentation in Vancouver during the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games at the Vancouver Art Gallery on February 13, 2010 in Vancouver, Canada."

Princess Anne to get honorary degree

Memorial University will bestow its highest honour -- a doctor of laws degree -- on Princess Anne when she visits Newfoundland in April.

The princess will be in the province to present new colours to the 1st Battalion of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and to participate in a variety of other activities being co-ordinated by the regiment, of which she is colonel-in-chief.

Princess Anne has travelled to New Zealand from March 16
to March 19 and attended various events like factory visits
or the Save the Children New Zealand Reception. On March
19 she continued her journey in Tonga, where she will stay
till March 23.

Here's an article with three pics about her arrival in Tonga:

** Princess Anne arrives in Tonga **

I think it's wonderful that The Princess Royal is traveling outside England in high profile visits. I think that does the Common Wealth a lot of good.

How does a visit from a minor royal help the Commonwealth?
I see no use for the Commonwealth at all any more (except that Australia will totally dominate in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi - assuming that they aren't affected by fears over terrorism).

We don't even teach anything about it anymore at school and I don't remember it rating a mention in the new national curriculum proposed to come in next year - tells you a lot about how the politicians rate it that they don't insist that it is taught to young Australians.

The publicity is good and The Princess Royal is furthering her mother's agenda of supporting the troops.
Russo is also selfish and enjoys seeing HRH get off the island every once in a while. (Ditto for her trip to Canada for the Olympics).
Though I must say I'm a bit confused, Iluvbertie, you spend an awful lot of time on TRF and took great offense when Russo called the Queen Mother "Cookie" and now you call The Princess Royal "minor" and that her visit has no significance? I don't understand your position. Would you care to explain it? :flowers:

The Princess Royal is 10th in line to the throne and Beatrice if 5th but is described as 'minor' on here and elsewhere. Therefore everyone else lower in the line of succession to Beatrice must also be seen as a 'minor' royal.

I didn't say her visit has no significance. I asked how it helped the Commonwealth - which you claimed it did. I notice that you didn't answer my question. You replied that 'the publicity is good' but where is this 'publicity' - not here in Australia - a Commonwealth country.

It was a significant visit to those countries visited but I don't see it as helping the Commonwealth. For it to achieve anything to help the Commonwealth it would need to be getting coverage in Commonwealth countries - it didn't (certainly not in the Commonwealth country in which I live - actually unless the major royals are here in Australia we don't hear much about what they are doing at all as they are so irrelevant to Austrlia. We also don't hear anything about the Commonwealth here except for the Games every four years and that CHOGM is taking place - if it is in Australia we might hear a bit more about it but when overseas not much - you would have to go looking for it.)

The Princess Royal is 10th in line to the throne and Beatrice if 5th but is described as 'minor' on here and elsewhere. Therefore everyone else lower in the line of succession to Beatrice must also be seen as a 'minor' royal.

Anne is higher in precedence than Beatrice. I'm not going to wade into whether or not Beatrice is major or minor, but succession surely isn't the only metric.

I didn't say her visit has no significance. I asked how it helped the Commonwealth - which you claimed it did. I notice that you didn't answer my question. You replied that 'the publicity is good' but where is this 'publicity' - not here in Australia - a Commonwealth country.
My goodness, then I would suspect the reporters aren't doing their job or they aren't paid like in America where that sort of news would cause a stir. I suspect the latter.
Well thank you for your opinion.

Here's some more information about Princess Anne's visit to Tonga,
the above quoted site matangitonga.to has put together a large
number of nice pics of Anne meeting Tonga study tour participants
on March 20:

** Princess Anne meets Tonga study tour participants **

Princess Anne meeting participants in the Emerging Pacific Leaders'
Dialogue held in Tonga, 20 March 2010.

----> Pic

Princess Anne with Tonga's Princess Royal, HRH Pilolevu, Tonga's
Prime Minister Hon. Dr Feleti Sevele (right) and the Chairman of
the Commonwealth Study Conference, Mr Richard Warburton (left),
22 March 2010.

----> Pic

Princess Anne and Tim Laurence at the Gatcombe Park Horse
trials at Gatcombe Park, Glous., March 27, 2010. Zara was
competing, but so far no pics of them together.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

The weather at Gatcombe looks good and its good to see that The Princess has attracted many supportors.

This horseandhound thread sems to view the basic soil structure as to why Gatcombe would probably stand up in the worst of conditions.

Gatcombe! - Horse and Hound Forums

From Zara's fotos, its clear that Gatcombe has a natural drainage that has given it the advantage over other eventing sites that had to cancel this weekend due to the weather.

Burghley direct web page (bdwp.co.uk)

Even so, I think the horseandhounders fail to appreciate the extent of the investments in drainage and other weather proofing measures that The Princess has made recently.

Fotos of recent Gatcombe events have some of these water features featured.

Princess Anne is in Newcastle upon Tyne today, March 29,
and attends several events there.
The first has been the opening of the Haymarket Metro Station,
where unusual pics were taken - unusual as you rarely see royals
taking the underground train.. ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

On March 31 Princess Anne officially re-opened Cambridgeshire City
Library after a £7.5 million renovation. The event also brought out
a dozen demonstrators, who chose the occasion to protest government
cuts.

** Pic ** article **

On the same day Princess Anne toured the new St John Ambulance