The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Still the government would have to be involved at some point and could have squashed the Royal visit had they not agreed with it.
But we are talking of why Anne will be attending, and it's not because the British government willed it. They merely consented where/if needed. It is however because the Queen of Australia wished it, personally.

The British government would not veto a royal visit to Australia by a member of the royal family when representing the Queen of Australia, as is here the case. They'd be very hard pushed to justify any such move which would be a great insult and disregard toward a foreign Crown.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Heir Apparent

My initial reaction was that Charles should be the one to come, since he is the PoW and, despite the fact it seems inevitable we will become a republic in the relatively near future, Charles is next in line to be our monarch and still might be King of Australia for a while. However Charles would probably bring his wife, and, while I would love to see them both here, the Camilla factor might turn what will be a very solemn occasion into a bit of a circus, with an inappropriate amount of attention being given to Camilla and what she wears and some elements in the media might be unable to resist the temptation to bring up the old CDC triangle and we might even see a photo or two of Diana in the glossies.

OTOH Anne has the reputation of being a very hard working and serious-minded senior member of the RF, and I agree with Muriel's assessment of her position in the heirarchy. The papers won't be talking about Anne's clothes or jewels, and she will look appropriate in the field.

So I have concluded that The Princess Royal is the perfect choice.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Majesty

I don't want to split hairs here. The Queen wanted to send Anne, and the UK Government allowed Anne to leave the country. Even HM can't leave the UK without government authority.

I think that it's wonderful that The Princess Royal is going.

Sometimes I think that some of the junior members of the RF are more interested in the Commonwealth than Prince Charles is. But that's another discussion for another time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
But we are talking of why Anne will be attending, and it's not because the British government willed it. They merely consented where/if needed. It is however because the Queen of Australia wished it, personally.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Courtier

The Princess Royal gave a lovely speech on behalf of her mother and herself. She looked really nice at the memorial service. I'm glad that she came to Aus to represent the British Royal Family
Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't want to split hairs here. The Queen wanted to send Anne, and the UK Government allowed Anne to leave the country. Even HM can't leave the UK without government authority.

I think that it's wonderful that The Princess Royal is going.

Sometimes I think that some of the junior members of the RF are more interested in the Commonwealth than Prince Charles is. But that's another discussion for another time.
Quote:
...a Royal visit is the highest statement that the British Government can make about their concern for the Australian people
It was the Queen's wish that Anne attend, on her behalf as Sovereign of Australia. The British government would have had relatively little to do with it other than granting her leave, which may I add, is required of any citizen of Britain when travelling abroad. Royal or otherwise (Of course I'm certain you know that, and one wasn't/isn't attempting to 'enlighten' you for the sake of being argumentative, I assure you).

Her attendance was not on behalf of the British government, as the above extract suggests; But on behalf of the Crown of Australia. An entirely seperate Crown from that of the UK. Much like your very own.

PM Gordon Brown's conversation with PM Kevin Rudd, however, was to convey the UK's condolences and support, should it be needed. Now that is the UK expressing it's concern for those effected, and for Australia in general.

I think we understand one another, now

Quote:
The Princess Royal gave a lovely speech on behalf of her mother and herself. She looked really nice at the memorial service. I'm glad that she came to Aus to represent the British Royal Family
Wasn't it just. I too am glade HRH the Princess Royal represented HM the Queen. Though if you may permit me to add, crisscross1...Anne wasn't representing the BRF, but the Queen of Australia.

Below can be found the address given by
HRH The Princess Anne, Princess Royal on behalf of
HM Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia

Third video link down

Old 02-22-2009, 03:38 AM
Administrator

Pics 22.2.2009

Britain's Princess Anne attends a National Day of Mourning ceremony
in Melbourne February 22, 2009. Australians observed a day of mourning
on Sunday for the more than 200 people killed in this month's bushfire
disaster, with thousands attending solemn ceremonies across the country.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** Princess Anne in bushfire tribute **
Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Princess Royal joined mourners at a national remembrance ceremony in Australia for the more than 200 victims of the country's bushfires.

Anne praises wildfire survivors - Yahoo! News UK

It was fitting that The Princess Royal was asked to represent HM.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Gallery from Zimbio
Princess Anne Pictures - Australia Remembers Bushfire Victims With National Memorial Service - Zimbio
Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Aristocracy

Where was Anne seated during the service? Was she in the front row with the Prime Minister and the Governor General or was she in the 3rd-4th row with foriegn dignitaries?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Ugh. Can't she get rid of that hairstyle? It's awful. Makes her looks so hard and cold.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post
Where was Anne seated during the service?
I don't know exactly where she was seated but you can be assured that it was with the A-team.
This Zimbio picture shows her arriving with the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia (on the Princess Royal's right) and the Governor of the State of Victoria (on her left). The Queen's daughter flanked by two of the Queen of Australia's Vice-Regal representatives.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post

The British government would not veto a royal visit to Australia by a member of the royal family when representing the Queen of Australia, as is here the case. They'd be very hard pushed to justify any such move which would be a great insult and disregard toward a foreign Crown.
In light of the reminders in this thread about which Queen we're dealing with, the blog entries (here and here) about the Australian fires and the royal family's response are labelled with rather than . Never let it be said that we don't do our best to be accurate.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I don't know exactly where she was seated but you can be assured that it was with the A-team.
I didn't see the ceremony, but caught the report on the news last night. At the end there seems to have been some singing from two women and those in the audience seem to have stood up and been bopping a bit along with one of the songs. I am sure I saw Anne standing next to or near Kevin Rudd. I was hoping we might see a bit more of that moment as I would have loved to have seen The Princess Royal's expression and demeanour, but the report ended too quickly.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

HRH was seated to the left, beside the Governor of Victoria *left, and I'm not quite sure who was seated on her right.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Administrator

Pics 23.2.2009

Britain's Princess Anne receives an Australian flag from 3 year-old
Lillian Amoroso at Wandong Fire Station, north of Melbourne, Feb.
23, 2009. The princess, who will leave Australia Monday night,
visited the small town which was among many Victorian towns
badly affected by this month's bushfires, which have killed more
than 200.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you for all the pictures iceflower, of Anne's visit at this sad time.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
In light of the reminders in this thread about which Queen we're dealing with, the blog entries (here and here) about the Australian fires and the royal family's response are labelled with rather than . Never let it be said that we don't do our best to be accurate.
I wonder if Anne as the daughter of the Queen of Australia is a princess of Australia as well as a princess of the UK? Or is it just the souverain him/herself who is associated with the country but not her/his family?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

There is the Queen of Australia only.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
There is the Queen of Australia only.
And she is represented by her governor-general normally? But how could the British princess Anne then represent "The Queen of Australia"? Anne obviously does not have any official function in Australia - no wonder the British Royals are not that much interested in Down Under, if they are mere foreigners from their status there. It's really a strange idea, only to adopt the Head of a foreign family as one's souverain but to ignore the rest of them as foreigners. No wonder the Australians don't feel really represented anymore by the Queen of the UK.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM

Well technically Princess Anne is also Princess Anne of Australia the same as she's a Princess of Canada etc.

Tags
princess anne, princess royal, timothy laurence