The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2009, 03:48 AM
Courtier

My worst monarchs would have to be Stephen, Richard I (for spending no time in England), Richard II and III, Mary I, King George I (for the same reason as Richard II) and Edward VIII.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomartin View Post
I am basing my opinion of Edward on more than just the Time magazine article. Wallis Simpson was only the latest of a series of married women. His father was disgusted by his behavior
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
[Well, an almost identical post could be made about the present Prince of Wales, which I would agree with. Many Charles lovers would defend him to the death for the same. I find it very ironic that the same posters who villify Edward (and Wallis), who stepped down and put the country first, above his own selfish desire to be King, defend Charles and Camilla and shout how Camilla should be Queen. Most ironic.

I actually don't see Edward as putting the country first at all. He put his country a long second to his selfish desires to have a woman deemed unworthy by the standards of the day.

If Charles were living in 1936 who knows whether he would have been allowed to marry Camilla and still be king. Many will argue that of course he wouldn't as Camilla has a still living ex-husband and thus is in the same as Wallis but... is Charles the same as Edward or would Charles have been a solid king and so the government had no reason to get rid of him and thus wouldn't have raised the issue of his choice of wife being a divorcee? A 'what if' question to which we can never know the answer but still fun to consider.

Personally I think that Charles has been a better Prince of Wales with more substance e.g. the Princes Trust, rather than just a pretty boy PoW who opened things but didn't really achieve all that much except popularity as PoW. As a result I think that Charles would have handled the job of King better in 1936 and so the government would have been reluctant to let him go over the issue of his wife and would have found a way to accommodate his wishes to marry Camilla.

The personalities involved also have to be considered when discussing Edward and comparing him to Charles.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Well, an almost identical post could be made about the present Prince of Wales, which I would agree with.
I don't see any substantial similarity between Charles and his great uncle Edward. Charles had a life long love for Camilla and he married a woman more for what the public wanted then himself. Edward had repeated affairs with married women when he was one of the most eligible bachelors in the world.

It doesn't look as if Edward ever wanted to be king. That doesn't make him a bad human being, since most people wouldn't want a life like that. But the original question is to list some of the worst British monarchs. A monarch who spent most of his adult life thinking that he didn't want the position has to be among the worst.

Similarly Richard I didn't seem interested in the position. He never learned English very well, didn't spend any time there, and nearly bankrupt the country with his crusades and his capture and subsequent ransom. He is one of the worst British monarchs.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:51 AM
Courtier

I agree about Richard I. King John in the Robin Hood legends is always called bad, but while his brother was off gallivanting and satisfying some private need for war and crusades, John was back in England managing the affairs of the country. Richard I was an extremely bad King.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

And yet, Richard I has a magnificent statue right at the front door to Parliament; and poor John has "nothing"... Go figure......

Being called "Lionheart" certainly helps his reputation all round; while poor John is denigrated for having to sign (forcebly) the Magna Carta...

Hollywood doesn't help either in the movie "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938), where John is bad and Richard good!

Larry
Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Or the present Robin Hood series on BBC America which continues with the stereotypes.

As usual, there is a good brother (Richard) and a bad brother (John).

Of course it doesn't help that John seemed to covet Richard's throne. But what can you do? It was a sign of the times. Somestimes you had to worry more about your ambitious brother than a cousin.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:40 AM

hi,
for my point of view,the worst british monarch during the history of great britain was Mary or Bloody Mary because she was not tolerant with the protestants after the death of King Edward,and she ordered to execute 300 protestants.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator

True but honestly the same can be said of Elizabeth I or any monarch who wasnt tolerant of other religions.

I think the problem with Mary (including her burning of Protestants) was that she had such a screwed up childhood and relationship with her father, that she was spent too much time looking for love (her husband Phillip), worrying about insurgents (those who put Lady Jane Grey on the throne and those who supported Elizabeth) and not enough time trying to rule fix England.

She appears to have had a really messed up life.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Or the present Robin Hood series on BBC America which continues with the stereotypes.

As usual, there is a good brother (Richard) and a bad brother (John).

Of course it doesn't help that John seemed to covet Richard's throne. But what can you do? It was a sign of the times. Somestimes you had to worry more about your ambitious brother than a cousin.
I suppose most of the problem was that John was doing all the work and governing but did not actually sit on the throne, I think instead of coveting the crown he wanted justice and perhaps thanks for the work he was doing.
History and legend made sure he never got this recognition completely.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Aristocracy

Hi again,

I forgot to mention one more thing about the Richard/John history:

Their deaths:-
Richard died a somewhat heroic death, having been wounded (by arrow) in battle. He couldn't have chosen a better end, if he's written it himself....
John was fleeing (his barons, I think) and died of dysentry, after losing the Treasury in a swamp. What a miserable end for anyone, let alone a monarch....

Larry
Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

My vote for worst british monarch would be Richard I. Maybe this would be fun in a poll by one of the moderators? Just a thought.....
Old 10-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Aristocracy

It would be a tough poll since how do you compare Henry the 8th with 72,000 executions during his 36 year reign (who may have weighed 400 lbs at his death), with George IV who was also known for being fat, and having disgusting personal habits and an uncontrollable libido.
- I imagine some monarchs could easily end up on the best and worst list. If you consider William the Conqueror and Henry the 8th to be mass murderers and at the same time they were instrumental in creating the county.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Serene Highness

It makes one think, too, about how societal beliefs and feelings would also affect the man or woman on the throne. For example, as pointed out above, would Prince Charles have fared better in 1936 than Edward VIII? And would Edward VIII's love of Wallis Simpson have still cost him the throne in 2009? So not only must the personalities of the individuals be taken into account but also the feelings of the country.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Administrator

IMO the situation would have been the same in 1936 if it was Charles or Edward. The facts are still the same: The POW was in love with and wanted to marry a divorced woman whose husband was still alive. Just as in 2009, Edward marrying Wallis wouldn't be such a big deal.

Charles, benefited from Edward's experience in a variety of ways: a royal heir wanting to marry a divorced woman had already been done so it wasn't so shocking, times had changed --- certain things were no longer a deal breaker and society has become a little more relaxed (too relaxed according to some) and the role of the government as it relates to royal marriages. Let's face it...in times such as these they (the government) have more important things to worry about (economy, war, social ills, expense reports) than a member of the BRF marrying a divorced woman.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Majesty

You therefore accept that the government didn't want to get rid of Edward and seized on a convenient excuse whereas I believe that they would have done everything possible to force him out as he was simply unsatisfactory and a real threat to national security at times with leaving documents around for anyone to read (including the German ambassador at one stage). The government had even stopped sending him some information due to fear of what he might do with it e.g. let Wallis see it - afterall there is the story of a paper being marked 'Confidential - For Your Eyes Only' that was passed to Edward to read and then the relevant minister had Wallis talking to him about it over dinner.

I don't see Charles as doing that which is why I do think that the government wouldn't have needed to get rid of Charles and thus a solution to him marrying Camilla would have been found. In addition of course, Charles already has two heirs.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Iluvbertie, you stated very valid points but I was specifically responding to Vassiloss Markos and he referenced " how societal beliefs and feelings" not the feelings of the government in regards to Edward's vs. Charles' work ethic.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Majesty

I don't think you can separate the governmental beliefs in this instance because the majority of the people were in favour of Edward in 1936 and against Charles in 2005 and yet the people didn't get their wish either time because the government had its say.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Serene Highness

I am enjoying this discussion. It appears that public sentiment alone may succumb to governmental desire. But with relaxation of social mores, do you think there is any possiblity if Charles wants Camilla to be his Queen, he just might be successful? I realize this is getting off post but with many considering Edward VIII to be one of the worst monarchs because of his selfish desire to be with Wallis, what about Charles wanting to see his wife crowned? Would the public's affection for Diana allow this? Or the government?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
... but with many considering Edward VIII to be one of the worst monarchs because of his selfish desire to be with Wallis...
More than just Wallis, it was his apparent selfishness in general and lack of sense of 'duty' that concerned those who knew him.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Serene Highness

Good point, Warren, the public often sees through a public posture and gets to the heart of the matter

Tags
british monarchs