The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the speech is both funny immature. I can see the situation from both sides. William should have had more time with his heir; but the Duchess of Kent, while wanting to control and manipulate her daughter, also knew how vile and low class her in laws were. If I recall correctly, most foreigners and Germans especially the German relations looked down on the behavior of George IV and William V while they were king. I can imagine that Victoria's husband, Prince Albert, would not have looked kindly on the behavior of the Hanover's either.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, but wasn't the Duchess of Kent acting at the behest of Conroy? And wasn't it he who wished to keep Victoria separate from the King as a way to control her or to wheedle concessions from the throne in exchange for allowing Victoria to come to Court?

I don't think the Duchess of Kent behaved sensibly in this matter at all. It resulted in hurt feelings and caused a rift between mother and daughter.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator

I agree..the Duchess of Kent (regardless of the King's past) did take certain liberities that caused unnecessary conflict with the King IMO.

Yes, Conroy did attempt to separate Victoria from the King (and others) in order to cement his power. He wanted Victoria to name her mother (and thus thru the mother he would hold power) Regent.

Thankfully the Regency wasn't necessary as the King died after Victoria reached the age of majority. I also read somewhere that Conroy mismanaged the Duchess as well as one of the old Princesses (Amelia or Sophia one of them) money.

Victoria from what I have read did get along with her her uncle, William and was very supportive of Adelaide after the King's death.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Conroy also managed Princess Sophia's finances, or better he mismanaged Sophia's finances; she received an huge income from the Civil List, she was unmarried and lived rather modestly and retired, also due to some health issues (she was blind, if I recall correctly) but at her death it came out that she was almost penniless.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 PM

[QUOTE=tiaraprin;263732]Adelaide was not William IV's first choice. He had proposed to a couple of other princesses who did reject him with their family's approval. William was desperate to get married and Adelaide of Saxe-Meinigen was a "spinster" princess at the age of 26. She, not wanting to remain a spinster, and the possibility of having a child who would succeed to the throne, led her to accept William. She couldn't completely foretell she would be Queen because Frederick, The Duke of York, was still alive then but childless. His wife was barren.

At 65 years of age and overweights William would not have been any woman of child bearing ages first choice.

Apparently when Princess Adelaide had the preposal of marraige put to her she locked her self away in Elizabethburg Castle and cried for several days before accepting due to lack of suiters and as a matter of duty and to allow for the smallest and poorest of german ducy of Meiningen, ruled by her brother Bernard II to benifit by the marriage to the future King of England. She did apparentley have one other suiter at the time; a german soldier who had lost a leg during the Nepoliantic wars but she wasn't too keen on this gentleman either.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duchess of Kent was not very happy with the Hanovers before Conroy appeared, his prescence exacerbated the situation and led to the isolation of Victoria. But part of said isolation was because the Duchess did not approve of the Kings personal life and his behavior; long after Conroy, Prince Albert expressed disdain for some of Victoria's court for their lax morals as well.
As for Johnny C., it would also serve him to isolate Victoria from her paternal family and fan the Duchess' disdain for them so he alone would be the only man to control the regent.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Serene Highness

I like him and I am sure was sweet to Victoria and had his reasons for not liking the duchess of Kent.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

As king William IV acted on the advice he had received from the Marquis of Anglesey, a veteran of Waterloo, in 1830:

Your Royal Highness must bear this in mind - you must keep a brilliant court ... without making yourself too common, you must nevertheless frequently show yourself amongst your subjects.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Serene Highness

When King William IV lived at Clarence House, he liked to walk about unguarded and unattended.
He disapproved of lavish spending.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Royal Highness

[QUOTE=jungleboy_oz;1351116]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin View Post
Adelaide was not William IV's first choice. He had proposed to a couple of other princesses who did reject him with their family's approval. William was desperate to get married and Adelaide of Saxe-Meinigen was a "spinster" princess at the age of 26. She, not wanting to remain a spinster, and the possibility of having a child who would succeed to the throne, led her to accept William. She couldn't completely foretell she would be Queen because Frederick, The Duke of York, was still alive then but childless. His wife was barren.

At 65 years of age and overweights William would not have been any woman of child bearing ages first choice.

Apparently when Princess Adelaide had the preposal of marraige put to her she locked her self away in Elizabethburg Castle and cried for several days before accepting due to lack of suiters and as a matter of duty and to allow for the smallest and poorest of german ducy of Meiningen, ruled by her brother Bernard II to benifit by the marriage to the future King of England. She did apparentley have one other suiter at the time; a german soldier who had lost a leg during the Nepoliantic wars but she wasn't too keen on this gentleman either.
I did not know this. Poor Adelaide! And of course she lost her two little infants so tragically! Some people just have lousy lives, no matter how highly born.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
He disapproved of lavish spending.
Did he? I always thought that he was very much in debt because of his spending habits, and that that was one of the incentives to get married later in life (apart from trying to father a legitimate heir, parliament payed more money if the princes were married i think..)
His wife seems to have been rather modest and preferring the simple life, so maybe something of that rubbed off on him?
Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Serene Highness

William IV had an open-air banquet for 3,000 impoverished locals to mark his birthday on August 21, 1830.
William sat with his people to eat from a menu of veal, ham, beef, and plum pudding.

Tags
biography, british history, hanover, queen adelaide, queen consort, william iv