The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-15-2006, 04:17 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Adelaide receiving the Malagasy ambassadors at Windsor Castle in March 1837

Color photograph of an oil-on-canvas painting by the British painter Henry Room (1802-1850)
Crown © U.K. Government Art Collection
Courtesy Government of the Republic of Madagascar

Old 07-15-2006, 04:58 AM
Aristocracy

RARE c.1831 KING WILLIAM IV AND QUEEN ADELAIDE PLATE.

Size: 7 3/4 - This plate was issued around the time of the Coronation of William IV in 1831. The molded rim portraits of William and Adelaide are hand-enameled. One of a series of plates issued with a variety of decorations in the center. The red-brown transfer print is decorated in green and yellow and entitled, "The Hen in the Flower Garden". In sound condition for a piece over 170 years old with no chips or cracks. There in wear to the rim, all over crazing with some resulting discoloration. For similar plates see ‘Victoria Remembered’ by John May page 11.

pics courtesy: http://pages.theroyalpavilion.com

. .

William IV and Queen Adelaide standing by an altar. PROCLAIMED JUNE 28 1830

CROWNED WITH THEIR / PEOPLES LOVE / GUARDED BY A / NATIONS LOYALTY / HALLOWED BY / THEIR COUNTRY'S BLESSING. Crown with rays below first line; sprays of rose, thistle and shamrock above last line.

Document 79952

QUEEN ADELAIDE. AQS: "A Reg" as Queen of England, 1p, 3½x4¼, mounted to a page of similar size. In full: "Commit thy way unto/the Lord, trust also/in Him and he shall/bring it to pass". Headed "Ps XXXVII.5" indicating it is a biblical quote from Psalms 37:5. Adelaide (1792-1849) and William, Duke of Clarence, third son of King George III, were married on July 11, 1818. In 1830, upon the death of his brother, King George IV, William became King William IV and his wife became Queen Adelaide. They had seven children (including twin girls), but five were stillborn, and the other two died before reaching the age of two. When King William IV died in 1837, his niece succeeded him on the British throne as Queen Victoria. Soiled. Lightly creased from mounting.

Correction: they had twin boys, not girls.

. . .

The State Diadem

This fantastic piece of jewellery, made in diamonds and pearls, was executed on the orders of King George IV and was it possibly worn by him at his coronation, over a large plumed hat. Some sources, nevertheless, say the King never wore it, for the diadem was judged too feminine. The circular diadem is decorated with four crosses-pattées, set with diamonds, representing St. George, the front one with a wonderful honey-coloured diamond in the centre. The four bouquets of flowers in diamonds include roses, thistles and shamrocks, representing England, Scotland and Ireland. Wales, being a principality, was not represented. Below, two rows of pearls with diamonds in the middle make it one of the finest pieces of jewellery of the royal collection. It is part of the Crown Jewels since the death of HM Queen Victoria, who left it to the Crown in her will. The diadem was never used by a male royal again, only by queens, consorts and regnant, from Queen Adelaide to Queen Elizabeth II.

pics courtesy: http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/coronation/dress.html

Some details of the State Diadem.

Large Dining Room - Government House, Adelaide, South Australia
The Large Dining Room was added during the second stage of construction. Up to twenty eight people may be seated for dinner. Formal dinners of about this number are held regularly. Note portrait of Queen Adelaide on right.

The portraits in this room are of King William IV and Queen Adelaide. The portrait of William IV was listed in the 1868 inventory. Three cedar serving tables of four shelves grace the room.
The dining table is of mahogany and is dated 1850-1900. The chairs are in a semi balloon-back style.

pic courtesy: http://www.governor.sa.gov.au/html/govhouse.html

Old 07-15-2006, 05:12 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Adelaide
For more information about Adelaide's namesake, Queen Adelaide, please download the following brochure:

. . http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/a...enadelaide.pdf
PDF File about the life and times of HM Queen Adelaide with lots of pictures.
Saxe-Meiningen, Adelaide Louisa Theresa

Born: 13 AUG 1792, Meiningen, Thuringia, Germany
Acceded: 8 SEP 1831, Westminster Abbey, London, England
Died: 2 DEC 1849, Bentley Priory,Stanmore,Middlesex
Interred: St.George's Chapel,Windor Castle,England

Father: Saxe-Meiningen, George I of, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen, b. 4 FEB 1761
Mother: Hohenlohe-Langenburg, Louisa Eleonora of, Princess, b. 11 AUG 1763

Married 13 JUL 1818, Kew Palace, Surrey to Hanover, William IV Henry, King of Britain
Child 1: Hanover, Child, b. 1818
Child 2: Hanover, Charlotte Augusta Louisa, b. 21 MAR 1819
Child 3: Hanover, child, b. 5 SEP 1819
Child 4: Hanover, Elizabeth Georgiana Adelaide, b. 10 DEC 1820
Child 5: Hanover, Child, b. 23 APR 1822
Child 6: Hanover, Twins, b. 1824

Information on Queen Adelaide's page on the Royal GEDCOM Database.
http://www3.dcs.hull.ac.uk/cgi-bin/g...yal?royal00219
Old 07-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Aristocracy

Sitter - Adelaide Amelia Louisa Theresa Caroline of Saxe-Coburg Meiningen (1792-1849), Queen of William IV. Sitter in 16 portraits.
Artist - Sir William Beechey (1753-1839), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 119 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.

The eldest daughter of George, Duke of Saxe-Coburg Meiningen, Adelaide married William, Duke of Clarence in 1818, and became queen on his accession to the throne as William IV in 1830. In this portrait, which is a version of Beechey's full-length of the queen in evening dress, she wears a blue velvet dress with white lace ruff and sleeves. Her pearl tiara rests on her elaborately coiffured hair and she wears an exquisite pendant brooch with matching earrings. The locket on a chain fixed to her belt is likely to contain a portrait miniature.

. . . . .

.. .
. .
Old 07-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Adelaide and Prince William, Duke of Clarence later King William IV were married at the same time in a double ceremony with William's brother Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Princess Victoire or Victoria, later Duchess of Kent, and Queen Victoria's mother.

Judiciously, in the circumstances, neither of the brides was in her first youth, the future Queen Adelaide having been, at twenty-six, the younger of the two. The Duchess of Kent, a little over thirty, had been already married, in 1803, when she was seventeen, to Prince Emich Charles of Leiningen. Eleven years afterwards, in 1814, she was left a widow with a son and daughter. Four years later she married the Duke of Kent. The brides were very different in looks and outward attractions. The Duchess of Clarence, with hair of a peculiar colour approaching to a lemon tint, weak eyes, and a bad complexion, was plain. She was also quiet, reserved, and a little stiff, while she appears to have had no special accomplishments, beyond a great capacity for carpet-work. The Duchess of Kent, with a fine figure, good features, brown hair and eyes, a pretty pink colour, winning manners, and graceful accomplishments—particularly music, formed a handsome, agreeable woman, “altogether most charming and attractive.”

But both Duchesses were possessed of qualities in comparison with which beauty is deceitful and favour is vain—qualities which are calculated to wear well. Queen Adelaide's goodness and kindness, her unselfish, unassuming womanliness and devout resignation to sorrow and suffering, did more than gain and keep the heart of her bluff, eccentric sailor-prince. They secured for her the respectful regard of the nation among whom she dwelt, whether as Queen or Queen-dowager. The Archbishop of Canterbury could say of her, after her husband's death, “For three weeks prior to his (King William's) dissolution, the Queen sat by his bedside, performing for him every office which a sick man could require, and depriving herself of all manner of rest and refection. She underwent labours which I thought no ordinary woman could endure. No language can do justice to the meekness and to the calmness of mind which she sought to keep up before the King, while sorrow was pressing on her heart. Such constancy of affection, I think, was one of the most interesting spectacles that could be presented to a mind desirous of being gratified with the sight of human excellence.” [Footnote: Dr. Doran] Such graces, great enough to resist the temptations of the highest rank, might well be singled out as worthy of all imitation.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Aristocracy

Signature of Queen Adelaide with R for Regina (Queen)
source: http://www.manuscripts.co.uk/stock/20527.HTM

ADELAIDE, Queen (1792-1849). Consort of William IV.
Large signature ('Adelaide R' with a flourish)

More Jugs, etc. with Queen Adelaide portraits

. .

From http://www.tias.com//stores/brighton/

A large mug with the Queen and King on it
. . . .

from: http://pages.theroyalpavilion.com/51...56;itemNo=W425

Plaque in South Australia
From http://www.touradelaide.com/adel_kin...am_street.html

Statue of Queen Adelaide

Old 02-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Nobility

I wonder what would have happened if, after Queen Victoria's proclamation, it was discovered that Queen Adelaide was pregnant? I assume that Victoria would have reigned until the birth of her cousin. If the child was born alive, demise of the Crown would occur (as if Victoria died) and the child would automatically become a monarch. That's because succession to the British crown is automatic and there is no interregnum whatsoever. Victoria would regain the throne only if her cousin died childless. That's how I understood the Regency Act 1830. Am I right?

However, when King Alphonse XII died leaving two daughters and a pregnant wife, his eldest daughter did not succeed and interregnum occured.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Does anyone know how Adelaide and her sister-in-law, the Duchess of Kent got along.
I know that William IV did not get on with Victoire and vice-versa. The Duchess kept Victoria away for Court as much as possible.
Victoria and Adelaide were friendly & loving; but what about Adelaide and Victoire???

Larry
Old 04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Nobility

Yes, I think that's how it would have happened if Adelaide had been discovered to be pregnant after William's death. I don't think anyone thought of that possibility though because William was very ill for some time before he died and likely wasn't up to fathering a child. I'm not sure when Adelaide's last pregnancy was. Felicia said in a post she actually had seven children that didn't live, or at least seven pregnancies. I hadn't heard that. Anyone else heard that? I thought she maybe had three or four failed preganancies/ children who died. How sad.

I'm not familiar with Spanish royal history, so can't answer your last question. But, a a rather like sitiuation could have happened in England after Henry VIII died, and left Catharine Parr a widow. Of course, Edward as first born male heir was king no matter what, but there was some thought Catharine Parr who had had no children during her marriage to Henry ( or ever) could be pregnant. But it turned out not to be the case.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I just started reading Princesses by Flora Fraser today, and it appears that Queen Adelaide did have miscarriages as late as 1835, so it wasn't totally impossible that she could have been pregnant at the same time that her husband died. Guess it was a good thing that didn't happen, would have been incredibly messy.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Nobility

I've read that book but years ago and had forgotten that info on Adelaide. It's so sad that all her children died, or her preganancies ended in miscarriages. Even for a century of high child mortality, it seems a bit high. William on the other hand had had ten healthy illegitimate children with Mrs. Jordan. I believe every child they had together survived.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Royal Highness

I hadn't realized that Adelaide's daughter Princess Elizabeth displaced Queen Victoria in the succession for a brief period of time. Another example of what might have been.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Nobility

Yes, then she would have been Elizabeth II. It's kind of surprising none of Adelaide's children lived. Does anyone else think so? Especially given the fact ten of William's bastard children survived. I guess Victoria was truly meant to get the sucession. I have read that book, but I had forgotten that fact.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Royal Highness

Given that William had numerous illegitimate children who survived, I wonder if we should conclude that Adelaide had fertility issues, or that the combination of the genetic material of the two royals was at fault.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Nobility

That's what I wonder. I'd place the blame if they had fertililty issues on Adelaide, since William had a proven record of many living children, and he was older than her but capable of fathering a child right up to close before his death. It's likely good for the history of England that their children didn't survive, but who knows. Victoria was a very good Queen, it's hard to imagine one of their children doing better or even the same.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Serene Highness

It seems that Queen Victoria remembered her aunt's kindnesses by christening her firstborn daughter Victoria Adelaide Mary Louise
Old 11-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Queen Adelaide c1831

painted by Sir William Beechey

from Wikipedia Commons, copyright expired
Old 11-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

That is a very attractive portrait IMO. I wonder if it was fairly realistic or flattered its sitter. I don't think I've ever read a good description of Adelaide.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Posts relating to the enquiry about possible descent from William IV (or Hesse, or Austria) has been moved to the Help with family histories & mysteries thread.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Serene Highness

I love his speech insulting victoria's mother about her using her daughter and not letting Victoria see her paternal family .
The speech Is even said in "the young Victoria" and apparently most of it was from the real one!

Tags
biography, british history, hanover, queen adelaide, queen consort, william iv