The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Nobility

Still, that's no more than a de facto consort who acts as a regent now and then. Catherine of Aragon, a queen consort who also acted as regent for her husband, was more significant in government than Mary II, a queen who was actually a monarch - Catherine even defended England against the Scots!

Poor Mary II is remembered only as the wife of the King who overthrew James II & VII. The beggining of this thread indicates that there are people who don't even know that she was a monarch.

I wonder what would've happened if she accepted the parliament's offer to reign alone. Perhaps William would've abandoned her and her father would've had more chances to reclaim his throne. Perhaps Mary II was actually smart and not as submissive as we think - is it possible that she knew how fragile her reign would be without her husband's army? I know, so much perhapses :)

Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Nobility

I think May was naturally submissive, given that this was how 17th women were raised to be, and also Mary wasn't that intellectual or well educated, and had married very young, and had little taste of independence. All she knew was leaning on her husband. Had Mary II lived in Tudor Times, she may have taken the throne alone, as Mary I, Elizabeth I both did so, as Tudor royal women were usually well educated and independent for the 16th century, although of course Mary I did marry, etc, whereas Elizabeth did not.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 PM

I agree that Mary was naturally submissive and truly loved her husband. And when she was asked about ruling over England, it did not make sense to her that she should be regnant and William consort. (William wasn't happy about that arrangement either). She insisted that as the wife she would play an inferior role but in the end was happy to rule "equally" beside her husband, who soon came to realize how bright she truly was. He even trusted her to take over the affairs of State when he left for Holland and Ireland.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Majesty

Their marriage to me seems very much a love match. He genuinely mourned her and she clearly loved him. It would have seemed natural for her to allow him to reign equally with her, and let's also remember how close his own claim to the throne was.

Even 150 years later Victoria allowed Albert a large say in running things to the extent where during much of the 1840s and 1850s he really did the job with her at his side rather than the other way round, again partly because women were expected to do what there husbands told them.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Commoner

The British Royal House of Orange (1689-1702) & The Glorious Revolution (1688)

Hi

I have just updated the information I have written on the Royal House of Orange.

"William III, Prince of Orange, married Mary Stuart on the 4th November 1677. They were both brought up as staunch protestants, Mary was the eldest daughter of King James II. However James converted to Catholicism around 1689 when she was nine and it was this decision that seeded the beginnings of discontent that lead to the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688."

To find out more please go to British Royal House of Orange
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Courtier

Again, I am very impressed with the shear amount of information ukchrisuk provides in such a concise summary. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Commoner

Thanks again for your kind comments
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness

On February 3, 1689, Prince William of Orange declared that he would not agree to rule as regent or as Mary's consort. He demanded the full power and sovereignty of a monarch, jointly held with his wife. They became William III and Mary II.
In Emperors, Kings & Queens, Sonya Newland wrote:

William III was respected rather than loved by his subjects.

Tags
british history, queen mary i, queen mary ii, queen regnant, stuart, tudor, william and mary