Your favourite of Henry VIII's Wives?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is your favourite of King Henry VIII's six wives?

• Catherine of Aragon

Votes: 100 33.4%
  • Anne Boleyn

Votes: 100 33.4%
  • Jane Seymour

Votes: 34 11.4%
  • Anne of Cleves

Votes: 30 10.0%
  • Katherine Howard

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Catherine Parr

Votes: 24 8.0%

• Total voters
I agree he pursued heavily but her holding out for crown instead of just sleeping with him was IMO very manipulative- Ive read books of both verision- she was innocent caught between powerful men and she was the vixen who used her body to gain power so I guess it could go both ways

Although I am certainly no fan of Anne Bolyen and certainly some of her motives can be construed as manipulative. With that in mind, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on holding out in sleeping with the King. My reasons are as follows: 1) if she was pure why shouldn't she hold out for marriage...that is certainly her right 2) considering how her sister and other women were treated after they slept with the King, why would she want to be treated the same way and 3) it was the King who was married not her. Although he was an absolute monarch...I frankly think it disturbing (even considering the time and place) that Anne should be held to a different standard than the married King. He should have been held in the same dislike for pursing a single woman while he was married.

But that is just me...and again, I am not fan of Anne Boleyn.

:previous:

I agree, Zonk. The problem we have is judging historical figures by the mores of today. If Anne lived in today's world, she just might have been willing to sleep with the King and nothing more, but then again, why not go for the ultimate prize?

But I don't think back then the people would have judged the King by the same standards they would judge a young woman. I think the King was expected to sow his wild oats whenever and wherever he wanted.

I think so too. And certainly she saw what happened to her sister, seduced, made pregnant and married off. Which might not be a bad thing in those days -- not sure, it depended on what your priorities were, I guess.

I have read theories that she blamed Wolsey for the breakup with Henry Percy, and wanted to get her revenge on him, and gaining more and more power with the king might have been seen by her as a road to that goal. However, I don't know why she would have blamed Wolsey more than Henry VIII for that breakup.

In any case, though she might have feared being imprisoned in some castle like Katharine of Aragon if she failed to provide a son, but not to be beheaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anne used her body as a tool, but in those days that is basically all women had. We are talking about 500 years ago. With such a large gap in time, you can not possibly judge her actions with today's standards.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on Anne.

Anne used her body as a tool, but in those days that is basically all women had. We are talking about 500 years ago. With such a large gap in time, you can not possibly judge her actions with today's standards.
NOt so much has changed Lady. . . :whistling:

My favorite is Anne Boleyn. I think because there is so much mystery and intrigue surrounding her.

In regards to Mary, I read that Anne tried to reconcile with her but she refused and only became nasty. :unsure: Not sure how true that is but I did read it in one of the many books I read regarding Anne Boleyn and The Tudors. I want to say Allison Weir or Joanne Denny....

I like Anne of Cleves. I particularly admire the way
She and Henry were able to stay
Friends
After their
Divorce. And I. LOVE Hever castle!

I like Anne of Cleves. I particularly admire the way
She and Henry were able to stay
Friends
After their
Divorce. And I. LOVE Hever castle!

It's very interesting how he was able to tolerate and really like her outside of marriage, but while married to Anne of Cleves, he hated her!

One does wonder why though. He wanted a child and she was doubtless fertile and ready to conceive.it's been hinted that her personal cleanliness level wasn't up to picky Henrys standards. Also that her figure wasn't too great. Perhaps she was a little chubby???

He said she was a "flanders mare". Apparently she smelled and her complexion wasn't too clear either. But I wonder if she really did smell (like body odor) or it was just that maybe she used different powders, etc., then in England? :unsure: Or if he just made it all up because he was unable to consummate the marriage. :unsure:

Isn't this part of what led to Cromwell's downfall too? Cromwell built and built this woman up and she was nothing like the portrait or what Henry was told she looked like?

Odd too that he was so concerned with hygiene and germs, yet he allowed himself to grow morbidly obese!

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how Henry looked at the time -- as King, all that mattered was whether he was attracted to the woman. Look at rich and powerful men who are unattractive but they manage to snag beautiful young women as wives and girlfriends. It was the same for Henry. He may not have been attractive but that would not affect how he felt about Anne of Cleves' attractiveness. As further proof, compare Anne of Cleves to Henry's next wife, the young and attractive Katherine Howard.

So, despite the divorce, I think Henry was fond of Anne and probably grateful that she did not make a fuss about the divorce. Lovers, no, but friends, yes.

His appearance had no bearings on who he was attracted to, no. As King, the women he was attracted to had no other choice really but to acquiese. Who dared say no to the King of England!! And I think that if Anne of Cleves wasn't as intelligent as she was and accepted Henry's terms, she would have met a fate probably no different than her predecessor. But I find it interesting that he allowed himself to become morbidly obese (so much so that he had to be carried around in a chair) considering how vain the man seemed to be. He was a handsome and athletic man in his younger years and I'm just surprised that he didn't take better care of himself in the later years. I know he had that nasty jousting accident in 1536 which resulted in a painful ulcer in his leg, rendering him unable to be the as physically active as he once was, which no doubt was extremely depressing for him.

Although, I don't know how much of the binge eating disorder was "him" per se or if it was from the mood swings and mental instability (therefore the binge eating probably not being in his control) that seemed to plague him after his jousting accident. But that's a whole other topic!!

Last edited:
Well, I'm related to Jane Seymour through the my 3rd Great Grandmother Hannah Cutter and who was descended through the Percy's and Katherine Howard through my 4th Great Grandmother Elizabeth Lindsley Raynor who is descended from the Culpepper's.

But my favorite wife is Anne of Cleves. There is something relatable about her for me.

Well, I'm related to Jane Seymour through the my 3rd Great Grandmother Hannah Cutter and who was descended through the Percy's and Katherine Howard through my 4th Great Grandmother Elizabeth Lindsley Raynor who is descended from the Culpepper's.

But my favorite wife is Anne of Cleves. There is something relatable about her for me.

That is so cool!!

Henry could also have felt that because he was king and above reproach his obesity was not an issue. A royal version of the 'more of me to love' theory?

We will probably never know although recent programs have explored Henry's medical condition thru forensic examination of what we know.

Henry could also have felt that because he was king and above reproach his obesity was not an issue. A royal version of the 'more of me to love' theory?

We will probably never know although recent programs have explored Henry's medical condition thru forensic examination of what we know.

This is very true! I hadn't thought about it that way.

I find Catherine Parr very interesting. She was an extremely learned person who wrote her own books. I've read a bit about her in books. However, she was well represented in the series "The Tudors". My question is: how accurate is it, as far as how close she came to being called to trial for treason? I'm sure there is artistic license, to be sure. Would someone point out the historical accuracies in the series, with regards to Catherine Parr's close brush with treason?

AustinTexas1961 said:
I find Catherine Parr very interesting. She was an extremely learned person who wrote her own books. I've read a bit about her in books. However, she was well represented in the series "The Tudors". My question is: how accurate is it, as far as how close she came to being called to trial for treason? I'm sure there is artistic license, to be sure. Would someone point out the historical accuracies in the series, with regards to Catherine Parr's close brush with treason?

I have not watched that far in the series yet but I remember reading the Catherine did almost get accused of treason but someone tipped her off and she was able to convince the King that her religious views were on par (no pun intended) with his own.....

Chris77 said:
That is so cool!!

Realized Catherine Parr is in the family too, through the Percy's, a few generations back from Henry "Hotspur" Percy.

My favorite is Catherine of Aragon because she was the true queen and she had Mary whom I think is rather interesting.

cathiixoxo said:
My favorite is Catherine of Aragon because she was the true queen and she had Mary whom I think is rather interesting.

I simply agree and dare I say my favorite Queen of the English monarchy.

I love her loyalty to her faith AND Henry even as he treated her like dirt. A queen in marriage, heart, mind, and body. The people loved her and I have no doubt God rewarded her for her faith til the very end.

I simply agree and dare I say my favorite Queen of the English monarchy.

I love her loyalty to her faith AND Henry even as he treated her like dirt. A queen in marriage, heart, mind, and body. The people loved her and I have no doubt God rewarded her for her faith til the very end.
I think if there were the primogeniture law so many centuries ago,there wouldn't have been any need for Henry VIII to marry so many times.It's a pity that Mary.daughter of Catherine,took the step of Inquisition,if she hadn't taken this route,it could have been everything different.

Lenora said:
I think if there were the primogeniture law so many centuries ago,there wouldn't have been any need for Henry VIII to marry so many times.It's a pity that Mary.daughter of Catherine,took the step of Inquisition,if she hadn't taken this route,it could have been everything different.

Agreed. Alot of people point out Anne B. as a smart woman but Catherime was smart as well and the only other queen (kat parr did i think as well) to be made regent when he went to war with France. They had a good marriage for twenty years (he cheated but he did love an respect her rightful place a queen) until he was faced with the idea of not having a male heir.

Catherine was a skilled politician for just as long as Anne kept her body from Henry's clutches, it was Katherine who was skillfully and quietly holding everything at a standstill. Unlike Anne, she did not have the guidance of her family at arms legnth. She had Mendoza and later Chapuys the Spanish ambassadors and Campeggio who was doing the pope's bidding. She was well aware that her fate rested on a power struggle between two men but here in lies the kiss of death: had her nephew Charles learned for his father and grandfather no doubt would have kept his word and destroyed Francois and kept his betrothal contract w/ Mary, the king may not have been as eager to get rid of Katherine. But among not giving him the legitimate son he desired she became physical symbol of Charles' betrayal especially where crushing the French were concerned.

At this point Charles could only help his aunt by relying on his common interests with the pope. But while I believe that Catherine did not truly think Henry would turn his back on the Papacy I do think she truly did what littke she could and left it in God's hand. I do not hold a lot of stock in Catholosism but in this matter, she was in the right and I admire her conviction for her faith. Anne was smart as was Katherine Parr, but none of them had to deal with what the royal princess had to deal with in spite of her flawless pedigree. Above all, she never put anything-not he sovereign lord or the monarchy to make compromisations on her faith which is something that cannot be said for Anne and Katherine P. Then again Kat P did have royal connections that would save her neck.

I think Maria Doyle Kennedy is my favorite portrayal of Catalina. She emodied everything I thought the real queen would have been. The scene in the courts where she eschews the cardinals and speaks directly to Henry had me in and tears. As we say in Philly, homegirl was on point!

I don't have a sole favorite but I like Catherine of Aragon,Anne Boylen,Jane,and Catherine Parr.The others don't really do anything for me.

And also,did Henry always loved his first wife or,did he just look at her as a baby making machine?

I think he loved Katherine at one time but fell out of love, or lust, when her looks faded and she was not able to produce the heir he longed for in order to secure the Tudor Dynasty. If she had produced sons, he would have remained married but would have had mistresses on the side as well.

Catherine of Aragon "Kate" as the King used to call her. She was quite a dignified Queen and Lady.

I think he loved Katherine at one time but fell out of love, or lust, when her looks faded and she was not able to produce the heir he longed for in order to secure the Tudor Dynasty. If she had produced sons, he would have remained married but would have had mistresses on the side as well.
Of course he did and Katherine had such a regal bearing. I remember Henry schooling Anne Boleyn once when her jealousy got out of hand that she ought to take a lesson from "her betters" meaning Katherine who looked the other way, as did her mother, Isabella.

Catherine of Aragon "Kate" as the King used to call her. She was quite a dignified Queen and Lady.

Yes, Catherine was a great Queen. It's a pity her daughter was not like her.

Back
Top Bottom