The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is your favourite of King Henry VIII's six wives?
Catherine of Aragon 94 32.87%
Anne Boleyn 99 34.62%
Jane Seymour 33 11.54%
Anne of Cleves 27 9.44%
Katherine Howard 10 3.50%
Catherine Parr 23 8.04%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I did not enjoy Starkey's book that much...it was way too slanted in favor of Anne Boleyn who he referrs to as a "great defender of the Gospel" at one point. Worse,he shows his bias by implying that Katharine of Aragon lied when she swore her first marriage to Arthur Prince of Wales was not consummated.

Antonia Fraser's study of the wives of Henry VIII is far superior to Starkey's. Fraser is an Englishwoman and an aristocrat, but she is balanced and sympathetic to each of Henry's wives...showcasing how each was special and interesting in her own way.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator

I need to check out the Starkey book. I did enjoy the Fraser book.

I would have to concur about Catherine of Aragon and then Catherine Parr as my faves.

Catherine showed great courage despite being treated so horribly and Catherine Parr for trying to find love after being a pawn her entire life. Its a shame she didn't see thru Thomas Seymour.

I do feel for Catherine Howard she was so young and really ignorant and also used as a pawn. I feel no pity for Anne Boleyn. I hate to simplify it...but you do dirty you get dirty. And the way she treated Catherine and Mary was just horrible. I do, however, feel for the men who went down with her.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
My favorite wife ? Catherine of Aragon. She was Henry's wife the longest and showed great courage during the lengthy divorce proccedings.
Agreed lady of hay. Queen Catherine of Aragon is my favorite wife because of her love for her family and her great courage during the divorce. I think she showed King Henry VIII what a true Queen should act like.I think by the time King Henry VIII's third wife died he realized his mistake marrying Anne Bolyn
Old 08-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Anne Boleyn was, for all her intelligence and charm, a very nasty piece of work. Her downfall is one of the most karmic I have ever read about.

However, she almost completely redeemed herself at the end. Her courage and composure at Henry VIII's kangaroo court where she was framed and condemned on trumped up charges was simply amazing.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Even though The Tudors took MANY liberties with history, they did a good job with Anne's last days Russo thought it very well done.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

"The Tudors" was more camp than factual, dumbed down and sexed up to be more appealing to the masses.

But the depiction of the arrest, trial and execution of Anne Boleyn was very moving and even hauntingly accurate in historical detail.

The one problem I had was the way they had the doomed Queen going to her death all dolled up as if she was on her way to a ball, complete with humongous sapphire necklace! It looked soooo silly...she wore either grey or black with a scarlet underskirt according to most accounts...and definitely no jewelry!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
"The Tudors" was more camp than factual, dumbed down and sexed up to be more appealing to the masses.
Yes, I know, dear, we're watching it because Mr. Russo likes the sex. The swath of beheadings and tortures were a bit much for his sensitivities.
The way they depicted the arrest, trial and execution, I almost felt sorry for Anne Boleyn. Makes me wonder what really happened. Did she really have regrets? Dreampt of being a child again?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Royal Highness

I actually really admire the way Anne of Cleves built herself up after the divorce. She did something very rare for those days, she was actully happy and succesful as a divorcee and outlived Henry and his wives.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Serene Highness

Russo dear,

What did you think of the The Other Boleyn Girl? I'm referring to the trial and beheading of Anne Boleyn, not the entire movie, which clearly took liberties with history. And I don't think Mary intervened to save Anne, nor do I believe she was present at the execution, but nonetheless wondered what you thought of the movie's treatment of Anne (don't even go near the attempted seduction of her brother to leave her with an heir)
Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

It's enough to get Mr. Russo to watch The Tudors! I haven't ventured there at all! In fact Mr. Russo has not expressed ANY interest in watching the lovely Elizabeth R with phenomenal Glenda Jackson as QE. I was hoping we could go into The Lion in Winter after this or Anne of a Thousand Days. . . . *sigh*
Anybody have a good book on Anne and her beheading?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Serene Highness

But my dear, you must tell Mr. Russo that Scarlett Johanssen (sp?) and, to a lesser extent Natalie Portman, engage in sexual romps with Henry VIII, so if he liked the sexed up version of The Tudors, he may enjoy this movie.

I am afraid I cannot recommend a good book about Anne's beheading, sorry. However, I did run across this review and I think I may get the book. See what you think:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6894033.ece

In case the link doesn't work for some, here it is again:

The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn by Alison Weir review | Non-fiction book reviews - Times Online

If this does not work, the book is titled The Lady in the Tower by Alison Weir. If memory serves, I think I read a biography of Henry VIII by Weir. The reviewer finds fault with many of Weir's assertions, and he seems to like a biography of Anne Boleyn by Eric Ives but the review does not give the title of that book

It might be interesting to compare Weir's book, which the reviewer thinks is faulty, to Ives' treatment of Anne Boleyn.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

I've watched the documentary on the 6th wives of Henry VIII. I like Jane Seymour the best. Why, I don't know. She seemed to be a nice person. I didn't really dislike any of them. I felt sorry for Catherine Howard though.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

I remember in high school we were watching a movie about Henry VIII and parts of it were cut out. Later when I saw it I couldn't understand why as it was hardly R-rated (the love scene was a rated G version) and it wasn't anything during that time period (late 1970's) that you wouldn't have seen on television. The English teacher that I had was very very conservative and thought that certain scenes should not be shown to high school students. This movie was probably tame compared to other movies that later come out about him.

When I read Vasillisos Markos's post, this made me think of this movie.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Mr Russo sounds like my kind of guy! I fast forwarded through much of the violence, I found it unbearable.
The execution scenes made me feel sorry for Anne too, it was heartbreaking and beautiful at once.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I actually really admire the way Anne of Cleves built herself up after the divorce. She did something very rare for those days, she was actully happy and succesful as a divorcee and outlived Henry and his wives.
autie Anne of Cleves would be my second choice because of her making a life for herself after her annulment from King VIII. I think she was very friendly with Princess Mary and had an allotment from the king for her living expenses.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I found a few books on the Tudors by Eric Ives:
Lady Jane Grey: A Tudor Mystery
The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn 'the most happy'
Henry VIII

What I found most interesting in Showtimes The Tudors, was all the jockeying for positions within the nobility, especially the Boleyn's. That was portrayed very well. Are there any books out that document that? And as an aside (I expect this to get sanitized for our readers protection! ) is it me, or does it remind one of the Boleyn's machinations the way that the Middleton's family is acting towards Wills??
Old 08-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

I think there are plenty of books out there which describe the Boleyn and Howard families and the course of actions they undertook to gain access and influence to the throne. I read excerpts from one book on line but could not locate it just now. Anyhoo, it details that the Boleyn's were not "merchant" class but were of the nobility for some time and that out of Anne's grandparents or great-grandparents, she counted earls, countesses, daughters of dukes, earls, etc. Many authors described her family as being social climbers but they were already upper class! In particular, they compared her antecedents to those of Jane Seymour and Jane came up wanting!

I have read and seen (in movies and tv) two very different depictions of Anne's mother. In The Other Boleyn Girl, Lady Howard is portrayed as being opposed to her husband's machinations in attempting to move his family closer to the throne. In particular, when the family receives the forfeited property of Buckingham who is executed as a traitor, she warns her husband that they same thing could happen to them.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Lady Howard is portrayed as being opposed to her husband's machinations in attempting to move his family closer to the throne. In particular, when the family receives the forfeited property of Buckingham who is executed as a traitor, she warns her husband that they same thing could happen to them.
Doesn't that bring the saying to mind: Those that live by the sword die by the sword?
The Sword, in this case being Great Harry.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Doesn't that bring the saying to mind: Those that live by the sword die by the sword?
The Sword, in this case being Great Harry.
Righto, my dear. Lady Howard is a sympathetic figure in this movie, I am not sure how the book portrays her. But she was prescient in telling her husband to beware the King because in this case, he giveth and he taketh away at his pleasure.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Royal Highness

In history Anne's mother is mentioned very little, which led historians to believe that she died somewhere during Anne's long courtship with Henry.

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, henry viii, jane seymour, queen consort, tudor