The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is your favourite of King Henry VIII's six wives?
Catherine of Aragon 94 32.87%
Anne Boleyn 99 34.62%
Jane Seymour 33 11.54%
Anne of Cleves 27 9.44%
Katherine Howard 10 3.50%
Catherine Parr 23 8.04%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 04-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Princess Alexandra's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 12
I think that a descendant of Henry, Anne and Catherine would be perfect eventhough that is close to impossible. My two faves will always be Anne and Catherine
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-25-2008, 06:57 AM
QUEENECE29's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 1,740
I voted Catherine Parr
and Mary Boleyn
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENECE29 View Post
I voted . . .
and Mary Boleyn
You favored Great Harry's mistress?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-25-2008, 09:45 PM
CarolinaLandgrave's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 368
I voted for the Spanish princess.... I have always been a fan of her parents and I think that Catherine would have made Henry (or anyone else) a SUPERB queen!
And I kinda feel sorry for her too - being cast aside by that lusty horse's tail Henry VIII.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Well, you have to put into perspective the times. It was the duty of the Queen to produce an heir. It's not that Catherine didn't do her duty, the times being what they were, the children usually ended up being stillborn, died just after birth, premature. The conditions being what they were, poor hygeine, possible STD on Harry's part. Poor Catherine was pregnant most of their marriage, Ysbel would know how many times. Y, can you fill us in?
Harry felt he NEEDED an heir to pass the line on--thus the wife hunting. . .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Alexandra View Post
I think that a descendant of Henry, Anne and Catherine would be perfect eventhough that is close to impossible. My two faves will always be Anne and Catherine
I am really interested to know why your favourites are Anne (Boleyn I presume) and Catherine Howard.
Anne, in all her biographies was not a nice person. She was arrogant, proud and vengeful, ambitious and greedy. She used her position to get what she wanted, Hampton Court Palace, for one example. She had no remorse and her complete confidence in her own powers brought her own downfall. I find her fascinating to read about, so in that way she could be one of my favourites and I firmly believe that her beheading was murder as I don´t believe for one moment the crimes she was accused of, they were just a way of paving the way for the next Queen. I, because of this have always felt very sorry for her despite her obvious failings and, in a way foolishness.
Her Cousin Catherine Howard was a silly young girl who should have known better. By that time she knew or should have known the full story of what had happened to her cousin.
She was a frivolous little wanton and if she had lived in our day would have spent most of her time reading or more likely watching love stories on TV and her mother, or in this case it was her grandmother, if she had been watchful would have put her on the pill and watched her extremely closely.
Poor little Catherine didn´t seem to have a brain in her head, and unfortunately it was this want of IQ that brought about her end, which wasn´t nice, but for those days was what usually happened to adultresses whatever level of society they belonged to. She did have her one moment of nobility at the end when she made her last declaration on the scaffold but when I think of her it is usually "that poor little fool".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM
shakhim's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: rabat, Morocco
Posts: 79
king richard of united kingdom his father was henry .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakhim View Post
king richard of united kingdom his father was henry .
That was Henry II.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-29-2008, 02:55 PM
QUEENECE29's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
You favored Great Harry's mistress?
Mary Boleyn and Henry have two children
I think Anne Boleyn is never to deserve.
Other my favourite Catherine of Aragon...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENECE29 View Post
Mary Boleyn and Henry have two children
I think Anne Boleyn is never to deserve.
Other my favourite Catherine of Aragon...
There was speculation that Henry and Catherine Carey were Great Harry's. Wouldn't surprise me!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 68
Actually, Henry VIII was always desperate for a son, even a bastard one, as evidenced by how openly he acknowledged his natural son Henry FitzRoy and from an early age began paving the way for him to possibly inherit the throne, or at least become King of Ireland, giving him suggestive royal dukedom of Richmond, marrying him into the prominent Howard family.

Even though Queen Elizabeth made Henry Carey "Baron Hunsdon" and jokingly referred to him as her brother, and there is some evidence to suggest Mary Boleyn was still the King's mistress leading up to the birth of her second child, we can be almost 100% certain that if Henry and Catherine Carey had been his illegitimate children he would have recognised them, so desperate was he for heirs and spares (Prince Edward and Prince Elizabeth were born many years later; at the time he had only young Princess Mary and the bastard FitzRoy) and to show to the world that he was capable of siring healthy children, that the problem was not with him but with his wife.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I voted for Anne of Cleves because she was a foreigner without an influential family who had the misfortune not to be liked or ven be tolerated by her husband but made her way in her new country to a personal success. Anne cared and protected princesses Mary and Elizabeth from their father. Mary and Elizabeth rarely showed the warm side of their characters but sometimes they did - I put it back to the fact that Anne had taught them that not all people were to be distrusted per se. For Mary Tudor Anne was her father's real widow and she appointed her second lady in the realm after herself on her coronation. When Anne of Cleves died she was really mourned by queen Mary and princess Elizabeth.
I voted for Anne of Cleves too.

However, after the King's initial disgust of her "lose tokens" () and the "evil smells" she had about her, she won his immediate friendship when she consented to the divorce, instead of making it a big long drawn out affair like Catherine of Aragon had. He was so grateful to her that he gave her the rank of his sister, taking precedence over all of the other ladies of the realm except for his own daughters and whomever should become his Queen. He also gave her vast estates and a princely income for the rest of her life; she held her own court at her country residence, occassionaly coming to court, where she entertained everybody who was anybody, including the King and his new Queen Catherine Howard. After the demise of Catherine Howard, she remained good friends with the King, so much so that people wondered if he would re-marry her.

She seems to have been a genuinely nice, sweet, easy going person, getting on fine not only with the King and his subsequent Queens, but also with his daughters. She was also clever; in that she joined the Church of England so that she could marry Henry VIII, but if I recall correctly when Bloody Mary became Queen she embraced Catholicism, thus keeping herself high in royal favour and saving her own neck She was without a doubt the happiest and most successful of all his wives.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
V, are you saying Mistress Cleves had a little problem with hygiene?

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 68
I don't know. All I know is that Henry said she had very "evil smells" about her and complained of her "lose tokens".

He disliked her even before the wedding, and after the wedding night (when he felt her "tokens") he became well and truly disgusted with her, making known loud and clear that he was unable to perform the sex act with her, though he believed himself capable to perform it with others, as he had had two wet dreams during the wedding night.

Source: The Six Wives of Henry VIII (book)

Oh, and apparently her mother had given her a very strict upbringing and she knew little (or rather, nothing) of the ways of the world.

The King kissed her goodnight and then goodmorning, every day, and she was expecting to soon be with a Duke of York. Her ladies probed further and further, to see if there was anything more; to which she said there wasn't. One of them then said that it would more was necessary if she was ever to have a Duke of York; to which she said she was glad she knew no more. But apparently it made her worried, Henry VIII already had quite the reputation, and as soon as it was made clear to her that he wished for an anullment she gladly gave her consent, glad to keep her life.

They tried to anull the marriage based on her previous contract with Francis of Lorraine but couldn't, since the contract had well and truly been cancelled long before her marriage. Can't remember on what grounds it was that they were finally separated. Anyways, the King was so grateful with her cooperation that he rewarded her very richly and remained friends with her for the rest of her life, treating her as his lady sister and given her precedence over everybody else at court, except for his own consort and daughters.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
"Loose tokens". I wonder what that means. Teeth? Halitosis? I actually thought she was pretty, but then again, Holbein prettied her up and when Great Harry met her he called her the Flemish cow.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 68
Hmm...I believe he was referring to more private parts.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-03-2008, 03:14 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Anne of Cleves was a very clever woman. Part of the problem with Henry was the portrait, it is absolutely exquisite, in an ivory rose when opened has this really beautiful sweet face portrayed. It seems for some reason the painter decided to over flatter! the King was bitterly disappointed when he saw her face and size, he always favoured small built women he was also appreciative of personal hygiene!
A very astute woman Anne, she remained in England with her own palace and household, no money problems at all and she could be a bystander when others either risked or lost their heads (literally).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Grace Angel's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa, United States
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I am really interested to know why your favourites are Anne (Boleyn I presume) and Catherine Howard.
Anne, in all her biographies was not a nice person. She was arrogant, proud and vengeful, ambitious and greedy. She used her position to get what she wanted, Hampton Court Palace, for one example. She had no remorse and her complete confidence in her own powers brought her own downfall. I find her fascinating to read about, so in that way she could be one of my favourites and I firmly believe that her beheading was murder as I don´t believe for one moment the crimes she was accused of, they were just a way of paving the way for the next Queen. I, because of this have always felt very sorry for her despite her obvious failings and, in a way foolishness.
Her Cousin Catherine Howard was a silly young girl who should have known better. By that time she knew or should have known the full story of what had happened to her cousin.
She was a frivolous little wanton and if she had lived in our day would have spent most of her time reading or more likely watching love stories on TV and her mother, or in this case it was her grandmother, if she had been watchful would have put her on the pill and watched her extremely closely.
Poor little Catherine didn´t seem to have a brain in her head, and unfortunately it was this want of IQ that brought about her end, which wasn´t nice, but for those days was what usually happened to adultresses whatever level of society they belonged to. She did have her one moment of nobility at the end when she made her last declaration on the scaffold but when I think of her it is usually "that poor little fool".
I have to agree with you about Catharine Howard. As for Anne, I feel she was a nice person, just not a good fit for her place and time. She was very forward in an era when women were supposed to be quite meek. I feel this just got her bad reviews at the time. I don't think she was foolish- she had it all planned out. But her plans derailed, and she couldn't control her own assertive nature- like she would pick fights with Henry over his infidelity, or alleged infidelity.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
As for Anne, I feel she was a nice person, just not a good fit for her place and time. She was very forward in an era when women were supposed to be quite meek. I feel this just got her bad reviews at the time. I don't think she was foolish- she had it all planned out. But her plans derailed, and she couldn't control her own assertive nature- like she would pick fights with Henry over his infidelity, or alleged infidelity.
I have to disagree with you here, I find her cold and calculating and got what she deserved. I do have to say that I respect her for dying with dignity, though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Well, you have to put into perspective the times. It was the duty of the Queen to produce an heir. It's not that Catherine didn't do her duty, the times being what they were, the children usually ended up being stillborn, died just after birth, premature. The conditions being what they were, poor hygeine, possible STD on Harry's part. Poor Catherine was pregnant most of their marriage, Ysbel would know how many times. Y, can you fill us in?
Harry felt he NEEDED an heir to pass the line on--thus the wife hunting. . .
Hi Russo. From what I could find, Catherine gave birth to a stillborn daughter in 1510, she gave birth to Prince Henry in 1511 but he died 5 days later, she gave birth in 1513 to a premature son who died shortly after birth, in 1515 she gave birth to another stillborn son, in 1516 she gave birth to Princess Mary who lived, in 1518 she gave birth to another daughter who died after a few days. So I didn't find any miscarriages but a lot of stillborn children and a lot that died shortly after birth. Six pregnancies in all but only one child survived past infancy.
__________________

__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, henry viii, jane seymour, queen consort, tudor


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Henry VIII and Wives (1491-1547) Jo of Palatine British Royal History 696 07-04-2014 06:18 AM
"Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII" by David Starkey (2003) ysbel Royal Library 12 11-19-2011 03:44 PM
Favourite photos of your favourite Princess tiff_tiff_tiff2000 Royal Chit Chat 5 01-15-2007 07:11 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games olympics ottoman picture of the month pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]