The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is your favourite of King Henry VIII's six wives?
Catherine of Aragon 94 32.87%
Anne Boleyn 99 34.62%
Jane Seymour 33 11.54%
Anne of Cleves 27 9.44%
Katherine Howard 10 3.50%
Catherine Parr 23 8.04%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Now that I think of it, Katharine Howard was kind to little Elizabeth, giving her precedence at the Queen's table calling her 'my little cousin' I believe Elizabeth's grandmother was the sister of Katharine's father.

But Mary was too much for Katharine's little self-confidence. Katharine acted haughty around her and both women were uncomfortable so Mary left the court.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Mary also ordered that Anne of Cleves was to have a most magnificent funeral. I read that she was on affectionate terms with Princess Elizabeth and the most startling thing i read was that oin her tomb at Westminster Abbey, which is somewhat hard to find, it only had her initials on her tomb "AC" and only in the 1970's they added "Anne of Cleves-Queen of England"

Old 02-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Nobility

Katherine Parr included Elizabeth in any type of famiy life. She supervised the education of both Mary and Elizabeth and sought out the best tutors she could find. William Grindal and Roger Ascham were among the tutors Katherine Parr chose.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

In 1782, a gentleman by the name of John Locust discovered the coffin of Queen Catherine at the ruins of the Sudeley Castle chapel. He opened the coffin and observed that the body, after 234 years, was in a surprisingly good condition. Reportedly the flesh on one of her arms was still white and moist. After taking a few locks of her hair, he closed the coffin and returned it to the grave.
The coffin was opened a few more times in the next ten years and in 1792 some drunken men buried it upside down and in a rough way. When the coffin was officially reopened in 1817, nothing but a skeleton remained. Her remains were then moved to the tomb of Lord Chandos whose family owned the castle at that time. In later years the chapel was rebuilt by Sir John Scott and a proper altar-tomb was erected for Queen Catherine.

Catherine Parr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(I know wikipedia is not trustworthy, but i have read this same thing in several books on Catherine Parr)
Old 02-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Commoner

Ysbel ( I love your nick, btw ), Juana is said to have suffered from some kind of paranoia, not schizophrenia, in the same way his paternal grandmother suffered it.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Isn't Juana and her husband interred with Ferndiand and Isabella in, Seville? I think? Or was it Granada? I can't remember. We were there 2 1/2 years ago. Went to both churches. Gorgeous!!
No wonder Catherine of Aragon was a strong woman, came from her stock!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Commoner

I voted for Catherine of Aragon. My second choice would have been Catherine Parr. Anne Boleyn was, I don't deny, an amazing woman but she was very cruel to Mary, just like Henry VIII also. No wonder Mary turned out the way she did!!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Anybody catch that a new season of "The Tudors" is coming out?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM

Hi I am new here!
My favorite of Henrys wives was Queen Anne Boleyn. I feel that she was an amazingly outspoken woman for her time. I find it such an amazing story between she and Queen Catherine of Aragon (my 2nd favorite wife); that their differences continued to play out through their daughters for years after they were both gone.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Courtier

Here is my take on Henry VIII's wives:

Catherine of Aragon:

Promised to her when he was a child. Married her, under immense pressure, and sired one daughter - Princess Mary. Divorced Catherine and broke with the Church of Rome to marry,

Anne Boleyn, mother of the Great Gloriana, aka Queen Elizabeth I, one of Britain's most intellectually accomplished monarchs, if not the most, since the Plantangenant, Henry II. Trumped up charges against Anne, Elizabeth's mother (his only official 'murder') enabled Henry to marry,

Jane Seymour, whom all evidence supports, he genuinely loved, at least as much as he'd loved Anne Boleyn. The mother of his only son, Jane died of puerperal fever (a common ailment), and to assuage his genuine grief at her death, and to consolidate Protestant alliances, Henry was persuaded to then marry,

Anne of Cleves, a clever and discerning woman who was, intellectually, Henry's match, and a woman who skilfully managed the marriage's annulment, upon which he married,

The very young and pretty Catherine Howard, a scion of a prominent family who had great ambitions to see a Howard on the throne. Some might remember that the Howards tried, so very hard, to deny Elizabeth her throne. Catherine, was manipulated by her ambitious family and finally brought to ruin by her sexual adventures. Caught, in flagrante delicto, there was absolutely nothing that King Henry could do to save her. What Catherine did was, according to the law of the land in its day, High Treason. Reports exist which assert that Henry wept for Catherine because he could do nothing to save her.

Katherine Parr, Henry's last wife, outlived him. In my view, least said about her, the better..

Henry VIII may well have been a King who brought trauma and relgious and social dislocation to his country. I can't argue with that.

However, in my opinion, he most cruelly and jealously killed but one wife (and one, of course, is quite enough), but not six.

Despite everything, Henry VIII was a man of immense intelligence, with a highly developed, educated and well-formed mind, which only one of his children, obviously, and according to historical record, inherited.

It's such a pity that he didn't live in C21 when he would have been so gratified to know of the immense admiration which his most accommplished a clever child, Elizabeth I, still enjoys, after 500 years.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Polly, I think you're had on Katherine Parr. She was an incredibly educated woman for her age, and it must have required great sacrifice on her part to marry Henry, especially given that he had already killed two wives and that she was in love with Seymour. Being Henry's queen was a less than advantageous or desirable position IMO, particularly after the death of Katherine Howard.

And, in my old age, it has occurred to me that Henry's need for a male heir was, to put it in our language, a grave matter of "national security." Henry needed only to have looked at the turmoil during the years after the wreck of the White Ship and the death of Henry I to have understood the danger he placed England in by leaving no legitimate male heir behind.

I also think he had genuine religious conviction, although to our eyes his actions appear rather opportunistic and self-interested.

He remains my favorite king, despite the fact that he had my ancestor's body dug out of a grave and burned for being a heretic.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

My favorite is Katharine of Aragon, Henry's first and noblest Queen. The amount of dignity and courage she displayed toward the end of her mostly unhappy life continues to astonish me. I would have been terrified of the Tower or of poisoning and would have probably agreed to retire to a convent.

I wonder if she could have looked ahead and seen the long term result of her stance that she was never the true wife of Arthur Prince of Wales, if she could have forseen the break with Rome with it's resulting schism(the creation of the Church of England) would she have continued to hold fast?

As the daughter of the great warrior Queen Isabella she felt it her duty to both protect her dignity, defend what she felt was her only child's birthright and to cling to the tenets of her deep Catholic Faith.

How easy her life would have been if she has caved, but she was made of much tougher and braver stuff.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Do you think that adage was coined after this "Be careful what you wish for. . ." ??
I just don't know how they CLEANED the garments! Some had jewels sewn in. And there weren't any good dry cleaners back then!
they didnt clean them they beat them for dust and aired them over the privy trenches (urea fumes something like amonia killing lice as I recall) Sometimes they were sponged but the notion of washing them was experimental/radical at best.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Aristocracy

With all my admiration, sympathy and respect for Catherine of Aragon, I voted Catherine Parr. A young woman married to an old and probably already sick man, and she could find inside her enough tenderness to be a good mother to Elizabeth I and Edward VI. Mary I was already a grown up woman, but I think she was nice to her, too. She was a very intelligent and quite learned for those times young woman, and took care of the education of Henry┤s three heirs. I do not like Catherine of Aragon┤s stubbornness. She was not smart or flexible enough to avoid so much pain to her and her poor daughter.

Catherine Parr was even a good mother for a while to poor Jane Grey, who had a sadistic,ambitious and cruel mother, niece of Henry VIII.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I have always been intrigued by Anne of Cleeves. It must have taken great backbone for her to decide to stick it out in England, alone, dependent on the will of this capricious king.

And so very little is known of Anne, after the king put her aside.

Sometimes I wonder if she wasn't a very early feminist.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

My vote goes to Ann Boleyn. She should have something special about her that prompted Henry VIII to revolt against the high and mighty Vatican, renounce his faith, and establish a new church.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Aristocracy

Catherine of Aragon had been queen for more than 20 years, already, when Henry fell for Anne Boleyn. She had put up all the women in her husband┤s life. She was an aunt to Carlos V, emperor of the Holy Sacred Empire and king of Spain. It seems she was a consumated and experienced politician, closely related to all spanish ambassadors, an important person for the Pope┤s interests. Maybe for all these political reasons she was so stubborn.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Tan, remember she was RAISED a Princess to be Queen of a country. I am sure since her duty was so ingrained as well as it was what she was being born Royal, she wasn't going to let anyone take it from her!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Tan, remember she was RAISED a Princess to be Queen of a country. I am sure since her duty was so ingrained as well as it was what she was being born Royal, she wasn't going to let anyone take it from her!
You are right, and her daughter had the same terrible destiny, and Anne Boleyn┤s daughter would have it, too: noblesse oblige, and royal blood obliges even more. My ingrained commoner soul feels compassion.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Aristocracy

i go with anne boleyn

maybe not my favourite otherwise..but she had a tragic end

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, henry viii, jane seymour, queen consort, tudor