The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is your favourite of King Henry VIII's six wives?
Catherine of Aragon 100 33.44%
Anne Boleyn 100 33.44%
Jane Seymour 34 11.37%
Anne of Cleves 30 10.03%
Katherine Howard 11 3.68%
Catherine Parr 24 8.03%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 AM
Majesty

Catherine of Aragón, the only truly royal spouse of Henry VIII who was shamelessly treated by him. God bless her memory.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Catherine of Aragón, the only truly royal spouse of Henry VIII who was shamelessly treated by him. God bless her memory.
Anne of Cleves was royal was she not ? I mean sure she was the daughter of a duke but still a royal or am i mistaken ?

Old 08-16-2017, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

She was the daughter and sister of the Duke of Cleves but I'm not sure I'd describe her as royal ,Catherine of Aragon was as the daughter of a King and Queen.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Commoner

Yes that is what i wrote. Well not the brother part because that goes without saying since her\his father was a duke.

But i do think Duke is considered royalty.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feologild View Post
Yes that is what i wrote. Well not the brother part because that goes without saying since her\his father was a duke.

But i do think Duke is considered royalty.
Not all dukes are royal, in the UK for instance there are a few non-royal dukes.... not sure whether the Duke of Cleve was considered royalty though...
Old 08-17-2017, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feologild View Post
Anne of Cleves was royal was she not ? I mean sure she was the daughter of a duke but still a royal or am i mistaken ?
He was the ruler of a duchy, so yes he was royal.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Not all dukes are royal, in the UK for instance there are a few non-royal dukes.... not sure whether the Duke of Cleve was considered royalty though...
They are not royal, the 26 Dukes but part of the peerage. There are also royal dukes, because usually when a Monarch's son reached maturity or married he was given a royal dukedom as a mark of status as William was.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
He was the ruler of a duchy, so yes he was royal.

That is what i though
Old 09-23-2017, 11:08 AM

Those the most unharmed wins

In my opinion Anne of Cleves is the most fortunate of Henry VIII wives....untouched, unharmed and heartily rewarded in the bargain...she might have had an empty bed but she also had her head, her reputation and a good place to live as she saw fit...not too bad in all...Henry acted as the pig he was..none of the women are really to be blamed, except perhaps for the Anne of Bolyen however her scheming father, Thomas, may have provided her the idea and backing.....Catherine of Aragon really showed her metal and really took on life...my hat is off to her...but my vote is for Anne of Cleves...who outlived all by ten years....
Old 09-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

But the question is who is one's favourite...
Anna of Cleves was lucky up to a point, but it wasn't an ideal situaiton for her. She was comfortably off, but stuck in England, and unable to marry or have a family. And in later years I htink she was more discontented.. it is said that she hoped she migt remarry Henry when he got rid of Kat Howard.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Majesty

Technically Anne was free to marry again five years later. She would have lost her home and her annual annuity if she did, but she could. The only thing stopping her remarriage sooner was the fact she was considered to be married. The annulment was granted on the Wrong assumption that she was pre-contracted to Francis of Lorraine. This was considered as good as married. Francis died in 1545 (annulment in 1540). Francis himself had married one of the other candidates Henry had in mind, Christina of Denmark. Christina who was a sixteen year old widowed duchess of Milan at the time is reported as saying if she had two heads, one would be at Henry's disposal. Christina and Francis had four children and she served as regent for his heir.

Anne was said to be much happier in England. Her life under her brother's rule was said to have been quite unhappy. In England she was her own mistress. Yes there is talk there was a move for her to remarry Henry but it seemed more her brother's scheming then her own. She made quite a happy life for herself, close to her stepchildren.

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, henry viii, jane seymour, queen consort, tudor