The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is your favourite of King Henry VIII's six wives?
Catherine of Aragon 95 33.10%
Anne Boleyn 99 34.49%
Jane Seymour 33 11.50%
Anne of Cleves 27 9.41%
Katherine Howard 10 3.48%
Catherine Parr 23 8.01%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Commoner

Anne Boleyn. I would say she was the most intelligent, cultured and savvy of his wives. Being an Anglican myself, I respect what she achieved through her husband in regards to the church of England. Very much a radical of her day, I respect her courage, smarts and determination.

In my view her great daughter was very much like her. For giving birth to the great Queen, she would have my eternal gratitude in any case.

Second favourite would be Catherine of Aragon. I also admire her guts and determination for her daughters future. Wonderful how she educated Mary too, passing on the wisdom and teaching of. She was clearly a dedicated, dignified and dutiful wife and Queen. Not just in trying to produce heirs, but for her acts as regent whilst the King was in France.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Catherine of Aragon is my favourite wife.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Aristocracy

I'm kinda coming in late to this discussion so this may have already been addressed but back on page one or two someone said Catherine of Aragon was dead when Henry married Ann Boleyn but as I recall she was not dead. Henry married Ann while Catherine was still living...this is why Elizabeth I was considered illegitimate.

MM
Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Elizabeth I was born in September 1533.
Catherine of Aragon was still alive then, and died in January 1536.
Anne Boleyn died in May 1536.

Larry
Old 12-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Mine would have to be Anne Boleyn she was intelligent and yet I truly feel she was innocently beheaded and because she gave birth to a Queen. A little princess who would rule England like her father and was the "son" Henry wanted.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

Anne of Cleves.

For me its most definitely Anne of Cleves.
I have done much research on this much maligned wife, and am very interested in her life, and related interests like her portraits and life after divorce.
I think she is the most interesting, mysterious, wronged and misunderstood, least popularly known, and luckiest survivor of Henry VIIIs wives.
Many more recent, and generally female, authors and biographers have come to this or similar opinions.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Here is an article which touches upon the last Queen for Henry VIII:

Inside Sudeley, the castle that courts controversy - Telegraph
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Commoner

I would have to put my favorite at the last queen, Catherine Parr.

She was smart enough to evade tghr sword when Henry signed her watrant and she was a fair and just regent when he was in France.

After her step son became Edward VI , she was content to marry a nobleman after having been the highest lady in the land instead of marrying another royal for alliance.

I admire her wit. She was as smart as any man back then.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.annaliesse View Post
After her step son became Edward VI , she was content to marry a nobleman after having been the highest lady in the land instead of marrying another royal for alliance.
I like Catherine Parr but she was most definitely not content with being the wife of a mere nobleman. She married Thomas Seymour for love; however, she heavily resented the fact that she technically ranked below Anne Seymour - the wife of the elder brother Edward Seymour, the Lord Protector. Of course Anne's claim of higher precedence was never very successful and Catherine demonstratively took precedence over her on official events.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

She had 4 husbands so she certainly had something going for her.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
I like Catherine Parr but she was most definitely not content with being the wife of a mere nobleman. She married Thomas Seymour for love; however, she heavily resented the fact that she technically ranked below Anne Seymour - the wife of the elder brother Edward Seymour, the Lord Protector. Of course Anne's claim of higher precedence was never very successful and Catherine demonstratively took precedence over her on official events.
She was content to marry a 'mere' nobleman because she loved him. I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered to her what his rank was as long as she could love him.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhije View Post
For me its most definitely Anne of Cleves.
I have done much research on this much maligned wife, and am very interested in her life, and related interests like her portraits and life after divorce.
I think she is the most interesting, mysterious, wronged and misunderstood, least popularly known, and luckiest survivor of Henry VIIIs wives.
Many more recent, and generally female, authors and biographers have come to this or similar opinions.
Couldn't agree with you more. I LOVE Anne of Cleves. She to me is the smartest (getting out of the marriage and then being a confidant to the King) of them all. I have a theory...I think that Anne would have been the best wife for Henry at the time if Henry would have given her a chance. I believe that he realized that after he married Catherine Howard. But the best thing for him to do was keep her close by.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.annaliesse View Post
She was content to marry a 'mere' nobleman because she loved him. I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered to her what his rank was as long as she could love him.
I do not contest that; Thomas Seymour was undoubtedly the love of her life - even though he certainly did little to deserve such devotion.
However, while she might have been content to marry Thomas, she was certainly not happy at losing her status of First Lady of the Kingdom, status she would have kept had she not remarried. As it were, some pretty unleasant incidents took place with Katherine and Anne Seymour (Edward Seymour's wife) publicly contested seniority and rank.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Commoner

Oh I know. It was because it was a nobleman that she fought for that right I feel. In the end, had been captain of her household guard or a man such as Owen Tudor (lets not forget which King came from his children) then it wouldn't have mattered. It because Seymour was at court all the time for his nephew the king that she felt she should keep her First Lady of the Kingdom. That wouldn't have happened if she had been away from court. And I agree about Seymour, I always disliked that man both in history and fiction.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Catherine of Aragon is my favorite of Henry VIII's queens. I find her strength and perseverance extraordinary. First she comes to England to marry Arthur, Prince of Wales. Then he dies and Henry VII forces her to remain in England for several years. She marries Henry VIII and they were happy together for many years. In fact, he had so much respect and trust for Catherine that he made her regent while he went to war in France. Catherine's tragedy was that she couldn't produce a male heir which was Henry's irrational obsession. She also endured her husband's habitual infidelities with great dignity. Catherine was also greatly loved by the English people.

Henry's despicable attempts to annul and then divorce Catherine made her even greater. Faced with enormous pressure to bend to Henry's will, she stood her ground not only to maintain her status as his legitimate and annointed queen, but to protect Princess Mary's position as heir to the throne. Her fortitude and courage never wavered and she died abandoned and alone. That she was denied access to her daughter for years was particularly cruel of Henry. Catherine is undoubtedly one of England's greatest queen consorts.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

Yep I agree Tiara.

LaRae
Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 AM

Catherine of Aragon

Catherine of Aragon, how can I vote against my own bloodline. hahahaa
Old 11-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Aristocracy

Anne Boleyn, definitely. Brilliant woman!

One things that I think is a shame, though, is how liking one wife almost seems to require you to dislike another. Personally, I find both Anne and Catherine of Aragon to be admirable ladies in their own ways. And, in the end, Henry was the true villain, and all six wives were victimised by him in different ways.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine of Aragon, she was devoted and dedicated to Henry despite the things he put her through. She was also a strong leader, even stronger than her husband, think of all the potential there could have been if she had reigned in place of Henry. She was a real fierce woman, how can you not admire her.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I don't really know who my favouite is, but probably Catherine of Aragon. She was popular at the time, and even people who weren't fond of her couldn't help but praising her for a good deed she did. I also like Jane Seymour. It's a shame that she died in childbirth. Apparently she was lovely to all her in- laws and stepchildren. How nice.

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, henry viii, jane seymour, queen consort, tudor