The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is your favourite of King Henry VIII's six wives?
Catherine of Aragon 95 33.10%
Anne Boleyn 99 34.49%
Jane Seymour 33 11.50%
Anne of Cleves 27 9.41%
Katherine Howard 10 3.48%
Catherine Parr 23 8.01%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

It doesn't matter how Henry looked at the time -- as King, all that mattered was whether he was attracted to the woman. Look at rich and powerful men who are unattractive but they manage to snag beautiful young women as wives and girlfriends. It was the same for Henry. He may not have been attractive but that would not affect how he felt about Anne of Cleves' attractiveness. As further proof, compare Anne of Cleves to Henry's next wife, the young and attractive Katherine Howard.

So, despite the divorce, I think Henry was fond of Anne and probably grateful that she did not make a fuss about the divorce. Lovers, no, but friends, yes.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Commoner

His appearance had no bearings on who he was attracted to, no. As King, the women he was attracted to had no other choice really but to acquiese. Who dared say no to the King of England!! And I think that if Anne of Cleves wasn't as intelligent as she was and accepted Henry's terms, she would have met a fate probably no different than her predecessor. But I find it interesting that he allowed himself to become morbidly obese (so much so that he had to be carried around in a chair) considering how vain the man seemed to be. He was a handsome and athletic man in his younger years and I'm just surprised that he didn't take better care of himself in the later years. I know he had that nasty jousting accident in 1536 which resulted in a painful ulcer in his leg, rendering him unable to be the as physically active as he once was, which no doubt was extremely depressing for him.

Although, I don't know how much of the binge eating disorder was "him" per se or if it was from the mood swings and mental instability (therefore the binge eating probably not being in his control) that seemed to plague him after his jousting accident. But that's a whole other topic!!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Well, I'm related to Jane Seymour through the my 3rd Great Grandmother Hannah Cutter and who was descended through the Percy's and Katherine Howard through my 4th Great Grandmother Elizabeth Lindsley Raynor who is descended from the Culpepper's.

But my favorite wife is Anne of Cleves. There is something relatable about her for me.
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegirl99 View Post
Well, I'm related to Jane Seymour through the my 3rd Great Grandmother Hannah Cutter and who was descended through the Percy's and Katherine Howard through my 4th Great Grandmother Elizabeth Lindsley Raynor who is descended from the Culpepper's.

But my favorite wife is Anne of Cleves. There is something relatable about her for me.
That is so cool!!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Gentry

Henry could also have felt that because he was king and above reproach his obesity was not an issue. A royal version of the 'more of me to love' theory?

We will probably never know although recent programs have explored Henry's medical condition thru forensic examination of what we know.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Deborah View Post
Henry could also have felt that because he was king and above reproach his obesity was not an issue. A royal version of the 'more of me to love' theory?

We will probably never know although recent programs have explored Henry's medical condition thru forensic examination of what we know.
This is very true! I hadn't thought about it that way.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Commoner

I find Catherine Parr very interesting. She was an extremely learned person who wrote her own books. I've read a bit about her in books. However, she was well represented in the series "The Tudors". My question is: how accurate is it, as far as how close she came to being called to trial for treason? I'm sure there is artistic license, to be sure. Would someone point out the historical accuracies in the series, with regards to Catherine Parr's close brush with treason?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexas1961
I find Catherine Parr very interesting. She was an extremely learned person who wrote her own books. I've read a bit about her in books. However, she was well represented in the series "The Tudors". My question is: how accurate is it, as far as how close she came to being called to trial for treason? I'm sure there is artistic license, to be sure. Would someone point out the historical accuracies in the series, with regards to Catherine Parr's close brush with treason?
I have not watched that far in the series yet but I remember reading the Catherine did almost get accused of treason but someone tipped her off and she was able to convince the King that her religious views were on par (no pun intended) with his own.....
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris77

That is so cool!!
Realized Catherine Parr is in the family too, through the Percy's, a few generations back from Henry "Hotspur" Percy.
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:32 PM

My favorite is Catherine of Aragon because she was the true queen and she had Mary whom I think is rather interesting.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathiixoxo
My favorite is Catherine of Aragon because she was the true queen and she had Mary whom I think is rather interesting.
I simply agree and dare I say my favorite Queen of the English monarchy.

I love her loyalty to her faith AND Henry even as he treated her like dirt. A queen in marriage, heart, mind, and body. The people loved her and I have no doubt God rewarded her for her faith til the very end.
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
I simply agree and dare I say my favorite Queen of the English monarchy.

I love her loyalty to her faith AND Henry even as he treated her like dirt. A queen in marriage, heart, mind, and body. The people loved her and I have no doubt God rewarded her for her faith til the very end.
I think if there were the primogeniture law so many centuries ago,there wouldn't have been any need for Henry VIII to marry so many times.It's a pity that Mary.daughter of Catherine,took the step of Inquisition,if she hadn't taken this route,it could have been everything different.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora
I think if there were the primogeniture law so many centuries ago,there wouldn't have been any need for Henry VIII to marry so many times.It's a pity that Mary.daughter of Catherine,took the step of Inquisition,if she hadn't taken this route,it could have been everything different.
Agreed. Alot of people point out Anne B. as a smart woman but Catherime was smart as well and the only other queen (kat parr did i think as well) to be made regent when he went to war with France. They had a good marriage for twenty years (he cheated but he did love an respect her rightful place a queen) until he was faced with the idea of not having a male heir.

Catherine was a skilled politician for just as long as Anne kept her body from Henry's clutches, it was Katherine who was skillfully and quietly holding everything at a standstill. Unlike Anne, she did not have the guidance of her family at arms legnth. She had Mendoza and later Chapuys the Spanish ambassadors and Campeggio who was doing the pope's bidding. She was well aware that her fate rested on a power struggle between two men but here in lies the kiss of death: had her nephew Charles learned for his father and grandfather no doubt would have kept his word and destroyed Francois and kept his betrothal contract w/ Mary, the king may not have been as eager to get rid of Katherine. But among not giving him the legitimate son he desired she became physical symbol of Charles' betrayal especially where crushing the French were concerned.

At this point Charles could only help his aunt by relying on his common interests with the pope. But while I believe that Catherine did not truly think Henry would turn his back on the Papacy I do think she truly did what littke she could and left it in God's hand. I do not hold a lot of stock in Catholosism but in this matter, she was in the right and I admire her conviction for her faith. Anne was smart as was Katherine Parr, but none of them had to deal with what the royal princess had to deal with in spite of her flawless pedigree. Above all, she never put anything-not he sovereign lord or the monarchy to make compromisations on her faith which is something that cannot be said for Anne and Katherine P. Then again Kat P did have royal connections that would save her neck.

I think Maria Doyle Kennedy is my favorite portrayal of Catalina. She emodied everything I thought the real queen would have been. The scene in the courts where she eschews the cardinals and speaks directly to Henry had me in and tears. As we say in Philly, homegirl was on point!
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't have a sole favorite but I like Catherine of Aragon,Anne Boylen,Jane,and Catherine Parr.The others don't really do anything for me.

And also,did Henry always loved his first wife or,did he just look at her as a baby making machine?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Serene Highness

I think he loved Katherine at one time but fell out of love, or lust, when her looks faded and she was not able to produce the heir he longed for in order to secure the Tudor Dynasty. If she had produced sons, he would have remained married but would have had mistresses on the side as well.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Nobility

Catherine of Aragon "Kate" as the King used to call her. She was quite a dignified Queen and Lady.

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 06-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
I think he loved Katherine at one time but fell out of love, or lust, when her looks faded and she was not able to produce the heir he longed for in order to secure the Tudor Dynasty. If she had produced sons, he would have remained married but would have had mistresses on the side as well.
Of course he did and Katherine had such a regal bearing. I remember Henry schooling Anne Boleyn once when her jealousy got out of hand that she ought to take a lesson from "her betters" meaning Katherine who looked the other way, as did her mother, Isabella.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Anne Boleyn
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishla View Post
Catherine of Aragon "Kate" as the King used to call her. She was quite a dignified Queen and Lady.
Yes, Catherine was a great Queen. It's a pity her daughter was not like her.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

Anne boelyn
Catherine of Aragon
Catherine parr

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, henry viii, jane seymour, queen consort, tudor