The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is your favourite of King Henry VIII's six wives?
Catherine of Aragon 94 32.87%
Anne Boleyn 99 34.62%
Jane Seymour 33 11.54%
Anne of Cleves 27 9.44%
Katherine Howard 10 3.50%
Catherine Parr 23 8.04%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahma View Post
Queen Anne Boylen without any hesitation, the most smart, most modern, most educated and attractive one !
i'd say anne b. was the most interesting and my favorite to read about but i don't believe she was the smartest. she should have been more careful about some of the comments she made in public--especially around cromwell. i think she thought she had henry so wrapped around her little finger that she could say or do anything. she was wrong obviously..
she still didn't deserve what she got. how could anyone possibly imagine she was having that many affairs when she was constantly surrounded by her ladies?? queens had no privacy at all so most people had to know those charges were bogus.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Gentry

mine is anne bolyen she was a woman ahead of her time i feel personaly she got a raw deal maligined by ambassidor chapuy i respect queen cathrine but she was a poliction and she playd fast and lose with her daughter mary if she acceptted an annulment mary would still have been legitamete case point elenor of aquitaine and louis cant rember his num lol but her daughters where declerd legit so i belive in my point of view cathrine is to blame for her daughters troubles. any way back to anne amost intruiging queenshe did a lot of charity work tried to stop some monasrtys being shut down and i think that lead to her downfull with henry and cromwell ot can someone shink my avater plzzzzzz:)its not showing

Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Commoner

I voted for Anne B. because she seemed to be a woman ahead of her time. And according to a couple of biographies about her, Cromwell cooked up the whole scheme on his own initiative then presented it to Henry, who by then wanted to go on to the next wife in order to get his heir. The intrigue in the palace was so bad that it was either Anne or Cromwell and Cromwell was going to make darn sure he survived.

And the other thing was, the author speculated on the possibility that Anne had the Rh problem in terms of carrying a pregnancy. The first one is fine, then the Rh problem kicks in, and bingo, miscarriages the rest of the way.

The whole Tudor era is just facinating to me. Especially Elizabeth, who turned out to be a better ruler in some ways than her Father.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Nobility

I voted for Anne Boleyn, though I wouldn't really say she is my favorite, just that I have always been fascinated by her and her story since history class in 7th grade! As far as the one I would like the most, probably Anne of Cleves. I feel very badly for Katharine of Aragon, who definitely got a raw deal all the way around.

I think the story shows so much fear and desperation: Henry was desperate to have a son, knowing his claim to the throne was shaky. He was only the second Tudor king, and the Tudor claim was through the female line through John of Gaunt and his mistress/later wife Kathryn, and their children were legitimated retroactively, but their descendants were barred from inheriting the throne, so Henry VII should not, by that rule, have been able to become king. So Henry VIII needed that son (in his opinion) to secure his dynasty and legacy. And Anne saw the opportunity to truly rise to the top and please her social-climbing father and greedy uncle. And then, due to Katharine's popularity and the fear that she (Anne) would never have a son, she was cruel to both Katharine and Mary, perhaps due to the years of frustration waiting to marry Henry, and perhaps also due to her fear that they could displace her again. This is just my opinion, of course, I don't know what their thoughts really were. But I have always loved reading about Anne Boleyn. I have always found her so compelling.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

As well I voted for Ann Boleyn,as she was the commoner bride and that the destiny played a bad joke on her,if she gave birth to a son,she would have kept her place .
Old 12-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora
As well I voted for Ann Boleyn,as she was the commoner bride and that the destiny played a bad joke on her,if she gave birth to a son,she would have kept her place .
If she hadn't gone after a married man and a crown she would have kept her head-

My fav is Catherine if Aragon bc she was stubborn, proud and held to her valued and beliefs- also Anne of Cleves because she made her own way in a foreign land!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
If she hadn't gone after a married man and a crown she would have kept her head-
Actually, she didn't go after Henry.. he went after her.

Anne was in love with Henry Percy and wanted to marry him.. but she had caught the king's eye and he was the one doing the pursuing in the beginning.

My vote is still with Katherine Parr..

Old 12-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Administrator

My favs are Catherine of Aragon and Katharine Parr.

Although I am no particular fan of Anne Boleyn, I would certainly agree that the King was the pursurer. And frankly, if she just slept with him she most likely would have been cast off when he was tired of her. Her bad luck that she was just ambitious and agressive, and frankly, a little pissed off (not that I blame her) that marriage to Harry Percy was denied to her. She definitely didn't treat Catherine of Aragon (and Princess Mary) with any respect and many should argue that received her due. Though I do think the execution was overkill (pardon the pun). She certainly thought he would just divorce her...but you can't have two questionable divorces running around.

I must admit that I used to enjoy reading about Henry VIII, and since I have expanded my reading (and this board as well) while I think he is interesting as a monarch to study, I defintely think he was just a nasty person. And I certainly feel bad for the innocent man who died with Anne so Henry could move on. A really nasty individual IMO.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine
Actually, she didn't go after Henry.. he went after her.
I agree he pursued heavily but her holding out for crown instead of just sleeping with him was IMO very manipulative- Ive read books of both verision- she was innocent caught between powerful men and she was the vixen who used her body to gain power so I guess it could go both ways
Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree he pursued heavily but her holding out for crown instead of just sleeping with him was IMO very manipulative- Ive read books of both verision- she was innocent caught between powerful men and she was the vixen who used her body to gain power so I guess it could go both ways

Whether an innocent or vixen, I guess is in the eye of the beholder
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Although I am certainly no fan of Anne Bolyen and certainly some of her motives can be construed as manipulative. With that in mind, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on holding out in sleeping with the King. My reasons are as follows: 1) if she was pure why shouldn't she hold out for marriage...that is certainly her right 2) considering how her sister and other women were treated after they slept with the King, why would she want to be treated the same way and 3) it was the King who was married not her. Although he was an absolute monarch...I frankly think it disturbing (even considering the time and place) that Anne should be held to a different standard than the married King. He should have been held in the same dislike for pursing a single woman while he was married.

But that is just me...and again, I am not fan of Anne Boleyn.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Serene Highness

I agree, Zonk. The problem we have is judging historical figures by the mores of today. If Anne lived in today's world, she just might have been willing to sleep with the King and nothing more, but then again, why not go for the ultimate prize?

But I don't think back then the people would have judged the King by the same standards they would judge a young woman. I think the King was expected to sow his wild oats whenever and wherever he wanted.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Nobility

I think so too. And certainly she saw what happened to her sister, seduced, made pregnant and married off. Which might not be a bad thing in those days -- not sure, it depended on what your priorities were, I guess.

I have read theories that she blamed Wolsey for the breakup with Henry Percy, and wanted to get her revenge on him, and gaining more and more power with the king might have been seen by her as a road to that goal. However, I don't know why she would have blamed Wolsey more than Henry VIII for that breakup.

In any case, though she might have feared being imprisoned in some castle like Katharine of Aragon if she failed to provide a son, but not to be beheaded.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Nobility

Anne used her body as a tool, but in those days that is basically all women had. We are talking about 500 years ago. With such a large gap in time, you can not possibly judge her actions with today's standards.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on Anne.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Claire View Post
Anne used her body as a tool, but in those days that is basically all women had. We are talking about 500 years ago. With such a large gap in time, you can not possibly judge her actions with today's standards.
NOt so much has changed Lady. . .
Old 04-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Commoner

My favorite is Anne Boleyn. I think because there is so much mystery and intrigue surrounding her.

In regards to Mary, I read that Anne tried to reconcile with her but she refused and only became nasty. Not sure how true that is but I did read it in one of the many books I read regarding Anne Boleyn and The Tudors. I want to say Allison Weir or Joanne Denny....
Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Gentry

I like Anne of Cleves. I particularly admire the way
She and Henry were able to stay
Friends
After their
Divorce. And I. LOVE Hever castle!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Deborah View Post
I like Anne of Cleves. I particularly admire the way
She and Henry were able to stay
Friends
After their
Divorce. And I. LOVE Hever castle!
It's very interesting how he was able to tolerate and really like her outside of marriage, but while married to Anne of Cleves, he hated her!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Gentry

One does wonder why though. He wanted a child and she was doubtless fertile and ready to conceive.it's been hinted that her personal cleanliness level wasn't up to picky Henrys standards. Also that her figure wasn't too great. Perhaps she was a little chubby???
Old 04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Commoner

He said she was a "flanders mare". Apparently she smelled and her complexion wasn't too clear either. But I wonder if she really did smell (like body odor) or it was just that maybe she used different powders, etc., then in England? Or if he just made it all up because he was unable to consummate the marriage.

Isn't this part of what led to Cromwell's downfall too? Cromwell built and built this woman up and she was nothing like the portrait or what Henry was told she looked like?

Odd too that he was so concerned with hygiene and germs, yet he allowed himself to grow morbidly obese!

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, henry viii, jane seymour, queen consort, tudor