Your favourite of Henry VIII's Wives?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is your favourite of King Henry VIII's six wives?

• Catherine of Aragon

Votes: 100 33.4%
  • Anne Boleyn

Votes: 100 33.4%
  • Jane Seymour

Votes: 34 11.4%
  • Anne of Cleves

Votes: 30 10.0%
  • Katherine Howard

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Catherine Parr

Votes: 24 8.0%

• Total voters
I honestly can't fault any of Henry's wives. They were women living in a society where they had absolutely no power- each one of them, in her own way, did what she had to do.
That may be true for "ordinary" women (commoners) but a lot of royal and noble women enjoyed great deal of power and influence.

It's enough to look at some of the women of the time - Marguerite of Navarre (sister of Francis I of France), Margaret of Austria (daughter of Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor), Catherine de' Medici (consort of Henry II), Jeanne d'Albret (Queen of Navarre), Diane de Poitiers (Henry II's favourite), and so many others.

In fact, Henry's first two Queens - Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn - were very influential. Catherine was Regent of the Kingdom in Henry's absence and even personally led armies (more successfully than her husband, I must add) when there was a threat of foreign invasion. Anne's influence is well-documented and she has rightly been called the most influential Queen Consort in English/British history.

Even ordinary women in England had far more rights than in continental Europe or other places, including rights of property and inheritance.

That may be true for "ordinary" women (commoners) but a lot of royal and noble women enjoyed great deal of power and influence.

It's enough to look at some of the women of the time - Marguerite of Navarre (sister of Francis I of France), Margaret of Austria (daughter of Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor), Catherine de' Medici (consort of Henry II), Jeanne d'Albret (Queen of Navarre), Diane de Poitiers (Henry II's favourite), and so many others.

In fact, Henry's first two Queens - Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn - were very influential. Catherine was Regent of the Kingdom in Henry's absence and even personally led armies (more successfully than her husband, I must add) when there was a threat of foreign invasion. Anne's influence is well-documented and she has rightly been called the most influential Queen Consort in English/British history.

Even ordinary women in England had far more rights than in continental Europe or other places, including rights of property and inheritance.

Anne Boelyn did not have the power to prevent her execution on trumped up charges. Catherine of Aragon did not have the power to prevent the king from ending their marriage and sending her away to live a lonely life away from what she was raised to be.

These women could only influence things as long as they were allowed to do it by Henry VIII. Their very lives were in his control. I don't consider that true power, when it's given at the whim of the king and might just as easily be taken away.

Catherine Parr (apart from her awful judgement in marrying Thomas Seymour after Henry died!). A very intelligent woman who was prepared to stand up for her own beliefs, and who tried to get on with all of Henry's children.

Catherine of Aragon had power when she was given it - she can be given the credit (apologies to any Scots reading this!) for the English victory at Flodden Field - but she wasn't able to stop Henry from declaring their marriage void, or to stop him from preventing her from seeing Mary, or to do anything about the appalling way Henry VII treated her (leaving her with no proper position and very little money) after Arthur died. I've got a lot of sympathy for all Henry's wives - they were all victims of circumstance, even Anne Boleyn who'd just have married Henry Percy and enjoyed being Countess of Northumberland had Henry not decided he fancied her.

Last edited:
Mines is Katherine of Aragon she was such a brave and strong queen. I find Anne Of Cleves to be the smartest wife though, she luckily didn't get her head chopped off because Henry didn't want her anymore. And i harbor a soft spot for Katherine Howard, sure she cheated but she was native and just another pawn in Henry's "Get a wife and give me a heir" game.

Last edited:
This was a hard question for me. I am currently studying more about the wives of Henry VIII and I am learning so much. Ultimately, I voted for Catherine Parr, because she was an independent, educated, and kind-hearted woman.

Henry didn't seem to be angered by the lack of heirs during their marriage. My theory is that he was probably impotent at the time and probably married her because she was older, had no children, and people suspected she was barren. Certainly better for people to think that she was barren rather than that he was impotent. I know there are rumors that he continued affairs with other women, but he certainly was not healthy at that time.

I really think she was lucky to outlive him. Her independence and intelligence was obviously a double-edged sword. She was almost arrested for treason in 1546. I think that since Henry was that close to getting rid of her by accusing her of treason, it was only a matter of time until he tried again. She handled the incident with courage, dignity and grace. Another plus for her is that she also managed to have good relationships with all his children even though they were all very different.

Obviously, her marriage to Thomas Seymour was a major mistake, which I am sure she regretted.

Regarding his other wives, Anne Boleyn was the most interesting to me, but I can't call her my favorite. She was too power hungry, selfish and cruel. I don't think she was guilty of adultery or witchcraft, but she encouraged so much suffering and persecution in her lust to be queen (I don't think she actually loved Henry), that I can't have much sympathy for her.

Catherine of Aragon is also very interesting. I admire her a lot, but I can't call her my favorite. She was certainly a courageous woman, not just because she stood up to Henry but she also took on the role of regent when Henry was out of the country. She personally led the army after Scottish troops invaded England. But even before Henry moved to annul the marriage, it seems as though she was becoming more dogmatic and stubborn, almost to the point of being a religious fanatic.

I don't know that much about Anne of Cleves. She was either the most canny or the most lucky of the wives and she managed to leverage the annulment in her favor. I've always wondered why she just didn't go back to Germany.

Finally, I feel sorriest for Katherine Howard. She was young, stupid and used by everyone for their own ends.

Last edited:
Jane

Jane Seymour was my favorite queen. Although she did not bring new innovative ideas for England, she created a time of peace by giving King Henry VIII a son.

On that subject, King Henry spent his entire life trying for sons and when he finally had one, he died at the age of 12. Quite the disappointment.

Anne of Cleves

You have to love one that survived; escaped her bullying father and then created a life for herself which she controlled.

Great role model.

Jane Seymour was my favorite queen. Although she did not bring new innovative ideas for England, she created a time of peace by giving King Henry VIII a son.

On that subject, King Henry spent his entire life trying for sons and when he finally had one, he died at the age of 12. Quite the disappointment.

I also like Jane the most; and Edward died aged 15, not 12.

I think KingMaxwell was mixing up Edward V and Edward VI.

The first one came to the throne, was deposed, and presumably died age 12. The second, Henry's son, came to the throne about age 10 and died 5 years later.

Anne of Cloves and Katherine Parr.....they understood the old rooster and were intelligent enough to placate and come out relatively well.

Catherine Of Aragon

I think it is interesting how she is the favorite. In the time of the divorce, she was nagging at the king about how she was still his only true wife and things of that nature. It made the king very ill tempered, and thats what there is controversy over her illness that killed her- some think she was poisned under the kings orders. ( What are your opinions on this subject? Do you think she died of natural causes or poisoned?)

On the other hand, she was a great queen, & was the best to suite the position politically, but King Henry VIII had other ideas.

Regarding Anne Boylen death

Anne Boylen was said to have been cheating on the King (which was true) but with her brother as well. (this was speculated because she had her second miscarriage, and the body of the child was examined and it was determined that is was deformed) A blessing in disguise.

But, Anne claimed she did not sleep with her brother, but he was later executed as well as her. (on the grounds of cheating)

My question is for you is do you think she slept her brother? That was common back then to keep royal blood, but it is hard for me to believe that Anne did so, especially being the Queen. Please sure your opinion!

Anne of Cleves Response

"Anne of Cleves

You have to love one that survived; escaped her bullying father and then created a life for herself which she controlled.

Great role model.'

You're right, she barley survived but thats because the king hated her. She barley created a life for herself in England and had a very stressful reign as Queen. The King rarley laid with her as she was not a good partner, and this frustrated the king. Before you know it, she was gone, but since the arrangement was made to keep England in touch with Rome he spared her and gave her a place in the hills to live out her life and die peacefully.

Anne Boylen was said to have been cheating on the King (which was true) but with her brother as well. (this was speculated because she had her second miscarriage, and the body of the child was examined and it was determined that is was deformed) A blessing in disguise.

But, Anne claimed she did not sleep with her brother, but he was later executed as well as her. (on the grounds of cheating)

My question is for you is do you think she slept her brother? That was common back then to keep royal blood, but it is hard for me to believe that Anne did so, especially being the Queen. Please sure your opinion!
Hi KingMaxwellVIII, welcome to the forum. May I ask why you say it was true that Anne Boleyn cheated on the King? I'm not arguing the point because obviously no one alive knows, but who do you think was her lover?

I don't think Anne Boleyn slept with her brother. The evidence against them was pretty scarce. I think the Elizabeth Browne, the Countess of Worcester, made the initial allegation based on the fact that George and Boleyn spent a long time alone. I think Cromwell and Henry accused Anne of incest in order to ensure people completely turned against her. Apparently George's case wasn't helped when he read a letter alleging the king was impotent during the trial. There was probably no turning back for him at that point.

The wife I've always felt most sympathy for is Catherine of Aragon, who endured endless trials and tribulations from the death of Arthur until her own demise. In many ways, her life story plots Henry's descent from a young effervescent renaissance King into a tyrannical monster.

Ann of Cleaves is my favorite. She got out of the marriage alive.

Catherine Parr was said (on a TV special) to have taken care of old doddering Henry, so she was a kind person. It even showed on the TV program how she tried to keep food away from her (rich food which was too fat) to preserve his health, what was left of it.
But Henry sneaked food anyway. Maybe that was all TV fiction. But perhaps she really cared about him as a person.
Catherine of Aragon may have cared about him as a person, too, although their marriage was political.
The rest of them were just after power, glory, riches or were victims out and out.

Every time the wives come up I always imagine what they would be like in our times. Like how would plain Jane, mousy, docile Jane Seymour be in the year 2016? I always imagine her as a nurse for children or a teacher, a woman who is quiet and who others who push around and dictate to until one day they push her to hard and she tells them off.
Anne Boleyn could be anything from a reporter to Anna Wintour.

My favourite is Katherine Parr. She was very smart when dealing with Henry in his blackest moods and escaped alive to tell the tale. Katherine led a rather unhappy life overall and certainly, her last husband didn't deserve her. However, she was a loving stepmother to Henry's children and Elizabeth and Edward in particular were fond of her.

My favourite is Katherine Parr. She was very smart when dealing with Henry in his blackest moods and escaped alive to tell the tale. Katherine led a rather unhappy life overall and certainly, her last husband didn't deserve her. However, she was a loving stepmother to Henry's children and Elizabeth and Edward in particular were fond of her.

Honestly though she may have lacked the book smarts of Catherine, Anne of Cleves played the game the best. She granted the annulment when asked, and was 'the king's beloved sister'. She was welcome at court and had precedence over any woman but the queen. She was said to have been dominated by her mother and brother as a child, and she got her own freedom and life through annulment. She was close to Elizabeth and Edward. Unfortunately due to Mary's strong catholic beliefs, though she was present at Mary's coronation, she disappeared from court. there was suspicion she had supported a rebellion and had her brother help Elizabeth. Mary did allow her in her last years to live at Catherine Parr's old home, and she left Elizabeth in her will.

^ What do you think Henry's reaction would have been if Anne of Cleves had fallen in love and wished to remarry?

I think he would have wished her all the best.

Every time the wives come up I always imagine what they would be like in our times. Like how would plain Jane, mousy, docile Jane Seymour be in the year 2016? I always imagine her as a nurse for children or a teacher, a woman who is quiet and who others who push around and dictate to until one day they push her to hard and she tells them off.

Such women often came out on top back then, because they didn't irritate the powerful men they were attached to. ;)

(Madame Maintenon was the same type, the governess who ended up married to Louis XIV).

Last edited:
Jane might have been a librarian in a quiet country town. I can imagine Anne Boleyn being a successful actress, the sort who irritate directors. She had a bit of the diva about her!

Jane might have been a librarian in a quiet country town. I can imagine Anne Boleyn being a successful actress, the sort who irritate directors. She had a bit of the diva about her!

Very interesting, Curryong. I agree that Anne Boleyn was a diva, but I see her as a politician. She was interested in shaping policy and was quite political and intelligent. I can see Katherine Parr as minister/author. I agree about Jane having the demeanor of a librarian but we're not sure that she was much of a reader. I can also see her as an elementary school teacher. I think Anne of Cleves would have been a successful business woman.

It don't anyone knows Katherine Howard's aptitude or interests. But today, people would understand that she had been sexually assaulted by Mannox and Dereham.

Don`t really have a favorite but if i have to vote i guess Catherine of Aragon

I think he would have wished her all the best.

Certainly not. He would not have wished her to remarry, she was stuck with a situation where she had a comfortable life, but at least til Henry died, she would have not been allowed to remarry.

Back
Top Bottom