Your Favourite English Monarch

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elizabeth I, II.

Are we counting consorts? If so..

Eleanor of Aquitaine.
Mary of Teck.

:flowers:

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (consort).
The country will never forget their behaviour during World War II when they visited bombsites and got bombed out themselves.
The (then) Princess Elizabeth volunteered for the ATS and learned to repair lorries.

Elizabeth I
She represents some kind of female independence. She was clever and powerful. I admire her for never marrying and comlying a man. There's something about her I can't really describe. But I'm really proud to have the same gender, after all she is one of the best example for female leadership!

Queen Victoria.
I think she was such a complicated and fascinating woman, especially in her relationships with other people.

George VI for his behaviour during the abdication crise and his leadership during WWII

Yes, I agree. He was such a shy and nervous man, but he had tremendous courage. People had doubts about him, but he was dearly loved by the time he died.

George VI for his behaviour during the abdication crise and his leadership during WWII

Elizabeth I
She represents some kind of female independence. She was clever and powerful. I admire her for never marrying and comlying a man. There's something about her I can't really describe. But I'm really proud to have the same gender, after all she is one of the best example for female leadership!
Yes I agree she was independent woman no man told her what to do! :lol: A woman married only to her throne

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (consort).
The country will never forget their behaviour during World War II when they visited bombsites and got bombed out themselves.
The (then) Princess Elizabeth volunteered for the ATS and learned to repair lorries.

Small correction - she didn't 'volunteer'.

All British people aged 18 had to register for war work. Had she failed to register she would have been breaking the law.

Once registered she was assigned to the ATS, whereas other girls her age were sent to the Land Army or other services.

Queen Victoria and her husband Prince Albert. Their marriage was a love match and Queen Victoria wished that her children marries for love.

Mine's an unexpected choice: Henry VII for ending the Wars of the Roses and providing stable governship for England. He's certainly not the most exciting king, but IMO he is a very underrated king. The glories of the later Tudors owe much to the foundations of a stable nation he laid down.

The runner up would probably be George VI for the calm courage he showed during WWII. For favorite consort, it's definitely Eleanor of Aquitaine for her intelligence and determination to be as independent a woman as she could have been (I read the Alison Weir bio a few months back.)

Henry VII certainly left a stable country and rich treasury for his son, Henry VIII, who rapidly went through the treasury on a grand scale. Of course, H VII was known for being penurious.

Henry VII certainly left a stable country and rich treasury for his son, Henry VIII, who rapidly went through the treasury on a grand scale. Of course, H VII was known for being penurious.

Yep. One person's "fiscally responsible" is another's "miserly". Next to the grandeur of his son's court, H VII does seem a little dull, but I've always had an admiration for monarchs who are closely involved with modernizing and sustaining government. I must have a little bit of bureaucrat in me.

Elizabeth II. I feel like she really gave her life for God and country. And it helps that she's still living.

Queen Victoria.
I think she was such a complicated and fascinating woman, especially in her relationships with other people.

I couldn't have said it better. Q.Victoria has always been my favourite English monarch, too. :flowers:

Monarchs Henry II,Richard the Lionheart & Victoria R .

Consorts : Eleanor of Aquitaine & Catherine of Aragon .

Elizabeth 1 for er intellect, wit, and the way she kept them all guessing while governing wisely and Elizabeth II for her unfailing duty to God and country. Presidents have come and gone in the US though HM has been a focal staying point. Long live The QUEEN!

Elizabeth 1 for er intellect, wit, and the way she kept them all guessing while governing wisely and Elizabeth II for her unfailing duty to God and country. Presidents have come and gone in the US though HM has been a focal staying point. Long live The QUEEN!

Here, Here!!
God Save the Queen!

I'd have to say Elizabeth II and Victoria

My favorite is the one who occupies the throne. May He or She live long and prosper.

Eleanor of Aquitaine(i think she was a very amazing tough woman with a strong personality, and i really adore her)

Richard the Lionheart(i think he was one of the most likeable english Kings, and the ideal of a knight.)

I concur with your opinion about Eleanor of Aquitaine--just think she occupied the thrones of France and then England and lived to a very old age (especially in those times). But do you feel Richard was well-liked? I admire him but he spent most of his reign outside the country and did very little ruling.

Last edited:
@Vasillisos

You are right, Richard was more a soldier than a king.
I like him most from all english kings, because i think, he was the one with the most courage, sense of honor, wisdom and mercy. And i really love the song he hard wrote(you can hear it by you tube:Ja nus hon pris)
I think he was a man with a lot of interesting features and a lot of skills.
But in this forum i learned to correct my picture from the perfekt king.
Now i think, that he was more a soldier than a king.
But i think, he earns to admire for his courage, his skills as soldier and his talents as troubadour.
And i read, that he was interested in diverse things like the roman culture. On his crusade he stayed an half year in italy and make sightseen(so we would call it today). He had climbed on the vesuv even, and watched old roman buldings.
And i think one of his good featueres as king was, that he showed mercy to his enemys and forgive them. A lot of kings in the middle ages didnt show such mercy.

Favorite as in: Most looked up to? Ruler during favorite time period? Most like to know? Know most about?

Richard II was king during my favorite time period, but I can't say that he was always a particularly nice chap.

Eleanor of Aquitaine(i think she was a very amazing tough woman with a strong personality, and i really adore her)

Richard the Lionheart(i think he was one of the most likeable english Kings, and the ideal of a knight.)

Richard may have been an ideal knight, but he was a terrible king, imo. He almost bankrupted the country.

My favorites:
Henry II
Edward I
George V
George VI
Elizabeth I
Elizabeth II

My current favorite royals are:
Queen Elizabeth II
Prince Charles
Prince William of Wales

The ones I can't stand:
Prince Edward
Sarah Ferguson (though technically she isn't a royal)

My favourites are:
-Richard the Lionheart
-Edward III
-Edward IV
-Elizabeth I
-Charles II
-Queen Victoria
My current favourite :
Queen Elizabeth II
Princess Diana
Princess Anna
My least favourite
Henry VIII(he killed so many women)
Georhe IV
Sarah Ferguson(I dislike a little some of her attitudes)

Elizabeth I

I do agree.

I think she knew a husbond would tunr into a master and not an equel.

I also admire her for solving the catholic versus protestant issue by creating the english church.:flowers:
That was geniusly done.

Back
Top Bottom