Princes of Wales Who Did Not Become King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frederick, Prince of Wales (father of King George III)

Thanks for the link, Elspeth.

It looks like the others were:

Edward (son of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou):
Edward (son of Richard III and Anne of Warwick):
James (son of James II and Mary of Modena):

That makes seven. Perhaps the website isn't counting James.

The Duke of Clarence was never Prince of Wales though. He died when his father was still Prince of Wales. Interesting though, I didn't know that Richard III had any children.

Elspeth said:
The Duke of Clarence (son of Edward VII) was the most recent one.
There's a Comic called From Hell which stars the Duke of Clarence. It's an excellent suspense thriller about Jack the Ripper. It has been adapted for screen with Johnny Depp but the book is far better. It's part fictional, part historical and there's a lot of details about the shadiest aspects of the Duke's life. I recommend warmly the book.

Henry, Prince of Wales, son of James I of England. Charles, the second son, took his place and went on to become Charles I of England.
Arthur, Prince of Wales, son of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York. His brother Henry went on to become King Henry VIII.

Idriel said:
There's a Comic called From Hell which stars the Duke of Clarence. It's an excellent suspense thriller about Jack the Ripper. It has been adapted for screen with Johnny Depp but the book is far better. It's part fictional, part historical and there's a lot of details about the shadiest aspects of the Duke's life. I recommend warmly the book.

I like Johnny Depp except when he's in the chocolate factory ;) so I'll have to see this movie. :D

Edward, son of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou. He married Lady Anne Neville (if the marriage was ever consummated), daughter of the Earl of Warwick, the "King Maker." She eventually became queen when she married Richard III.

Would have been hard to be a worse king than Charles I.

Oh, I dunno; Edward II was an irresponsible weakling, and Richard II was a psychopath. Charles I was something of a hopeless romantic, but those other two were just hopeless.

Oh, blimey, now someone's recommending books. That's a cruel thing to do to an addict, ysbel.

Elspeth said:
Oh, I dunno; Edward II was an irresponsible weakling, and Richard II was a psychopath. Charles I was something of a hopeless romantic, but those other two were just hopeless.

LOL, Elspeth! There was a movie about Edward II. He was so popular :rolleyes: when his wife led a rebellion, no one came out to support him. That's really bad! Even Charles I had his supporters. We could probably start a thread 'Kings who made it to the throne but shouldn't have'.

I'll hold off my other book recommendations for now. ;)

You want another weak king?? Try Henry VI!! He was definitely not mentally fit for the throne and when his son was born, he didn't understand that he was a father because he didn't think he had sex because of his extreme piety a la Edward the Confessor!

He also made a big mistake marrying Margaret of Anjou who was a cruel, ambitious bully of a woman. But then again, during the War of the Roses, maybe she had to be that way.

Yes - she'd probably have been a very effective CEO of a multinational company these days, but her qualities weren't much appreciated at the time. I wonder what her son would have been like as king if he hadn't been killed in the war, since he grew up under the shadow of a father who was so other-worldly and a mother who was so dominant.

What about the two young princes who were murdered by their uncle Richard III? Wasn´t one of them the heir to the throne, as well?

At the time he was murdered, he was already king (Edward V).

Whether he was murdered by Richard III or one of a number of other possibilities is a different matter, mind. It sort of depends which conspiracy theory you believe.

Elspeth said:
The Duke of Clarence (son of Edward VII) was the most recent one.

According to the Prince of Wales's website, six of them died before becoming king.

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/about/rol_prevprinces.html

Mistake, the Duke of Clarence never received the title as Prince of Wales, as his father was still the Prince of Wales, and his Grandmother Victoria still Queen at the time of his tragic death.

ysbel said:
Thanks for the link, Elspeth.

That makes seven. Perhaps the website isn't counting James.

The Duke of Clarence was never Prince of Wales though. He died when his father was still Prince of Wales. Interesting though, I didn't know that Richard III had any children.

No, the website isn't counting the Duke of clarence, you wrote the answer youself. Look in the list, it goes from Edward VII being Prince of Wales, (son of Victoria)to George V (second son of George and Alexandra). The Duke of Clarence, son to King George and QAlexandra isn't counted as he never received the title

Elspeth said:
At the time he was murdered, he was already king (Edward V).

Whether he was murdered by Richard III or one of a number of other possibilities is a different matter, mind. It sort of depends which conspiracy theory you believe.

I think this is the king you mean, Elspeth.

Edward (son of Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville): Created Prince of Wales on 26th June, 1471, aged seven months, at Westminster. Acceded as Edward V on 9th April, 1483

But you're right he was already King when he was murdered.

auntie said:
No, the website isn't counting the Duke of clarence, you wrote the answer youself. Look in the list, it goes from Edward VII being Prince of Wales, (son of Victoria)to George V (second son of George and Alexandra). The Duke of Clarence, son to King George and QAlexandra isn't counted as he never received the title

auntie, I know the website isn't counting Clarence. He's not listed in the list as a Prince of Wales.

But the website lists SEVEN not SIX princes as receiving the title of Prince of Wales without being crowned king, yet the intro reads that there are only 6. I was just wondering which of the following princes it left off in the count:

Edward, the Black Prince
Arthur, Prince of Wales
Edward (son of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou):
Edward (son of Richard III and Anne of Warwick):
Henry, Prince of Wales
Frederick, Prince of Wales (father of King George III)
James (son of James II and Mary of Modena)

I think it was probably James since he forfeited the title rather than died before receiving it.

It is a good topic, because you can argue that every single Prince of Wales who died early radically changed the course of British history by his death.
============================
1) Edward, the Black Prince: [age 46] married with children
2) Edward of Westminster (son of Henry VI , first husband of Anne Neville): [age 17] married no children
3) Edward of Middleham (son of Richard III and Anne Neville): [age 11] never married
4) Arthur, Prince of Wales (older brother of Henry 8th): [age 15] married no children
5) Henry Frederick Stuart, older brother of Charles I: [age 18]never married
6) Frederick Louis, father of George III: [age 44] married with children
7) James, the Pretender to the throne (son of James II and Mary of Modena):[deposed] married with children
@ Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence (Prince Eddy) was 2nd in line to the throne, but died before becoming the Prince of Wales.
=========================
1) Edward the Black Prince death left his ten year old son, Richard II as heir. Richard II was highly manipulated as a child king, and was later deposed. Every historian believes that his father would have been a strong king, and perhaps his son would have done better had he succeeded as an adult.
2) Edward of Westminster was killed at the Battle of Tedwsbury, and as a result was the only Prince of Wales to die in battle. Technically he ceased to be Prince of Wales three weeks before his death when his father was deposed. It is a matter of interpretation, but he is usually considered one of the Prince of Wales who died before becoming king. His widow married his enemy (and murderer according to Shakespeare). She then gave birth to another Prince of Wales who died before becoming king.
3) Edward of Middleham died exactly 500 days before his father, and 340 days before his mother. Had he lived he would have provided a credible alternative to Henry Tudor as king. We may never have had the Tudor dynasty.
4) Arthur Tudor is famous. Did he or did he not have sex with his wife? One of the most debated wedding nights in all of history.
5) Henry Stuart was not married when he died of typhoid fever at the age of 18. He was extremely popular, while his father was fairly unpopular. Had he lived there is a good chance the civil war would never have happened and English history would have been radically different. Most historians agree that the personality of Charles I was a significant reason cause of the civil war.
6) Frederick was a very popular man in Britain. His early death at age 34 left his son a victim of his father's abuse. Speculation is high that the ill feelings generated by the handling of the war in 1763 by George III, would have been handled very differently by Frederick. George III handled the war badly, and tried to tax the American people to pay for the cost of the war. The taxes and the way the colonists were treated were the primary reason for the war. It is possible that the loyalists would have held sway had Frederick lived and the American Revolution wouldn't have happened.
7) James was declared the Prince of Wales in France when he was 24 days old. So he is th 7th POW who did not become king, but his title was officially revoked. Of course he and his son, Bonnie Prince Charlie, mounted a credible campaign to take over the monarchy.

Back
Top Bottom