The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Grandduchess24's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cambridge, United States
Posts: 1,318
Then again... What would of happened if Olga Nikolaievna had married instead of being so stubborn and what if she married grand duke Dmitri pavlovich but I think it was best to have married grand duke Constantine constantinovich aka kostia (Russian royal,a romanov cousin, close in age).
__________________

__________________
" An ugly baby is a very nasty object, and the prettiest is frightful when undressed."
- Queen Victoria
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: brisbane, Australia
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Then again... What would of happened if Olga Nikolaievna had married instead of being so stubborn and what if she married grand duke Dmitri pavlovich but I think it was best to have married grand duke Constantine constantinovich aka kostia (Russian royal,a romanov cousin, close in age).
Their children wouldnt gave been grand dukes and duchess' and it wouldnr have made much difference to the reults of the russian revolution or any other country. If she had married the heir to the British throne, George V and the british govt. might have made more effort to rescue the in laws (ie the russian emporer and empress).
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Vasillisos Markos's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Crete, United States
Posts: 1,159
I read that Lord Mountbatten had a serious crush on Maria or Anastasia, although I cannot remember which of the two he liked the most. They were cousins after all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 PM
genegirl99's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos
I read that Lord Mountbatten had a serious crush on Maria or Anastasia, although I cannot remember which of the two he liked the most. They were cousins after all.
It was Maria that he had a huge crush on.
__________________
Self Described Genealogy Freak
Proud Percy Descendant ('cause Percy's rule the world!)
Writer on fanficnation.net
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Vasillisos Markos's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Crete, United States
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by genegirl99 View Post
It was Maria that he had a huge crush on.
thanks. I thought so but then I think she was a little older than him (I believe he was the last royal great-grandchild to have Queen Victoria as a godmother) so he was born around 1900 and Anastasia was born in 1901. As she was pregnant with Anastasia, Alexandra of Russia could not attend the Queen's funeral in England.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-28-2011, 07:05 PM
nascarlucy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida Area, United States
Posts: 1,354
What if the Spanish Armada had succeeded and overthrown Queen Elizabeth I?

I've found the story of the Spanish Armada to be interesting. One would have to wonder what might have happened if the Armada had been successful and Queen Elizabeth I was overthrown? No doubt she would have had a ground army which would have put up quite a fight. Many people in England would have put up quite a fight. She wouldn't have gone peacefully. They would have to drag her kicking and screaming as she would not back down.

I would imagine the history of England and the rest of the British Isles would have been different. If Queen Elizabeth had been overthrown, who would have succeeded her? Be interesting to hear what others think.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,467
I love alternative history.

QEI would have been defeated fairly easily.
Her standing army was small, the militia to supplement it was no match for the professional Spanish troops stationed in the Netherlands.
QEI would have no place to go, except fleeing to Scandinavia or present day Northern Germany. She would have been captured and executed or in exile. (Who knows perhaps the same place as the Earl of Bothwell? And he very conveniently went insane - or so the story goes).

The rebellion in the Netherlands would have been crushed. Prostestantism would now be a minor segment of the Christian faith.

England would have been kept under tight control for many years, enough to curb the English colonization across the Atlantic. That would have given Spanish colonies in Florida the edge in moving up along the east coast of America, until they would have met and established a kind of border with French colonies coming down from north. Perhaps around New York (which would not be known as New York as the Netherlands would have been curbed as well by the Spanish).
North and central America would be French speaking now. South and west Spanish speaking. The conquest of the west would have been different and perhaps the Five Nations would have survived?
__________________
I love work, it absolutely fascinates me. I can sit for hours looking at people working.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,804
Not sure about this. In 1588 Mary Stuart was already dead but still her son (who for the Spaniards must have been the rightful king of England as well as Scotland) was a firm ally for Elizabeth.

So even if the Spaniards succeeded in winnig against Elizabeth, they could do nothing but put James of Scotland on the English throne, as he through his paternal as well as maternal descent was the next in line. And I very much doubt he would have done things differently from Elizabeth. It was in his interests as well to encourage Henri IV. in his efforts to take the French throne, it was in his interest to hel the Low Countries against Spain and of course it was in his interest to try to stall Spain's efforts in staying the most important power on the Seas.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-31-2011, 08:00 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 9,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I've found the story of the Spanish Armada to be interesting. One would have to wonder what might have happened if the Armada had been successful and Queen Elizabeth I was overthrown? No doubt she would have had a ground army which would have put up quite a fight. Many people in England would have put up quite a fight. She wouldn't have gone peacefully. They would have to drag her kicking and screaming as she would not back down.

I would imagine the history of England and the rest of the British Isles would have been different. If Queen Elizabeth had been overthrown, who would have succeeded her? Be interesting to hear what others think.
I often think what if The Spanish Armada had landed in Ireland first & took control there first & used it as a base for the conquest of England.

The Irish had no love for Elizabeth I or her policies in Ireland.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Not sure about this. In 1588 Mary Stuart was already dead but still her son (who for the Spaniards must have been the rightful king of England as well as Scotland) was a firm ally for Elizabeth.

So even if the Spaniards succeeded in winnig against Elizabeth, they could do nothing but put James of Scotland on the English throne, as he through his paternal as well as maternal descent was the next in line. And I very much doubt he would have done things differently from Elizabeth. It was in his interests as well to encourage Henri IV. in his efforts to take the French throne, it was in his interest to hel the Low Countries against Spain and of course it was in his interest to try to stall Spain's efforts in staying the most important power on the Seas.
He would with a garrison of Spanish "auxillaries" around and Spanish ships in the harbours. Perhaps reinforced by Irish mercenaries. And with the propaganda apparatus of the Catholic church going at full throttle.
My guess is that the English Civil War would have taken place about 30 years before it did. It would have been about religion and it would have been much, much worse than the actual one. - The outcome? Who knows?

James I's wife was sister of King Christian IV of Denmark. And James I did some major sucking up, to put it bluntly, to Christian IV (and his navy) in 1604 IIRC, partly to ensure his position but also, as some cynics may believe, to ensure he could get help and if need be a refuge.
Would the Catholic church accept a man, who not only was an ally of QEI but who also through his marriage was close to one of the most important protestant kings (and his navy) at the time?
I think they would have quietly bypassed him or alternatively made a "defence alliance" with him and left a garrison. Not unlike what was done when a number of countries became independent in the 1960's.
__________________
I love work, it absolutely fascinates me. I can sit for hours looking at people working.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 AM
expat's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I often think what if The Spanish Armada had landed in Ireland first & took control there first & used it as a base for the conquest of England.

The Irish had no love for Elizabeth I or her policies in Ireland.
Very true but the Armada left very late and caught the bad weather and ended up in Ireland because the wind took them there. Perhaps they would have been successful if they had left Lisbon when they were supposed to.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

James I's wife was sister of King Christian IV of Denmark. And James I did some major sucking up, to put it bluntly, to Christian IV (and his navy) in 1604 IIRC, partly to ensure his position but also, as some cynics may believe, to ensure he could get help and if need be a refuge.
Would the Catholic church accept a man, who not only was an ally of QEI but who also through his marriage was close to one of the most important protestant kings (and his navy) at the time?
I think they would have quietly bypassed him or alternatively made a "defence alliance" with him and left a garrison. .
AFAIK he only married after the Armada was defeated. And they couldn't quietly bypass him because he was already a crowned king (of Scotland) - which meant something back then. But of course they could have found an Austrian princess for him...
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british monarchy, history


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]