The Tudors

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catherine Parr led quite a sad life, I think. Twice widowed, more or less forced to marry a bloated, ailing elderly monarch and act as his nurse and companion, then married to Thomas Seymour, a man I believe who would have betrayed her in a moment if he thought it would be to his advantage. Childbirth at Catherine's late age was a lottery and she lost. I don't think anyone knows what happened to her baby, Mary, after her mother's death, do they? There were rumours that she grew up to adulthood and married, though I think these are unsubstantiated.
Mary was first taken by her father to London and lived in the Protector's household. When he was executed, Mary was sent to Katherine, Duchess of Suffolk. Despite being a devout Catholic, she was not pleased at the cost to house Mary, who as a Queen's daughter had her own household of servants and such. Katherine wrote many letters to the Protector asking, as it was supposed to be, that Mary's upkeep be paid for. William Cecil intervened and it was passed by Act of Parliament,that Mary should inherit her father's property- as a traitor his property was forfeit. After that, nothing is known about what happened next- her inheritance was never claimed.

There is a poem written by the Duchess of Suffolk's former chaplain that is believed to be written about the death of Mary, around age two.

No-one seems to know. It's assumed that she died young, because presumably she'd have had a prominent position at court had she lived to adulthood. I feel sorry for Catherine Parr too - she did have a sad life.

I get the impression Edward was OK about her remarriage, because he liked his uncle Thomas Seymour.

The Habsburg princes and princesses of Spain had the title "of Austria" but not "of Spain" or "of Aragon and Castile". So you could have ended up with an heir to the English and Spanish thrones who was known as both the Prince of Wales and Prince X of Austria. I'm confusing myself now!

I knew it probably didn't end well! Thanks for that, Charmed Hour. A very nice little tribute for this little girl from the Chaplain.

Isn't it strange that there are no records of little Mary Seymour after 1550 given that she was in the care of Katherine , Dowager Duchess of Suffolk?

Very little is known of Mary. Perhaps any letters, records etc pertaining to her haven't survived.

Few English monarchs have such a poor reputation as Henry VI. Yet he was held in high regard by the Tudors, says Michael Hicks, despite losing the Wars of the Roses.

It is hard to imagine reigns more catastrophic than those of Henry VI. Succeeding to the throne as an infant, his long minority was followed by his disastrous majority, in which he lost both the Hundred Years War (1337-1453) and the first two Wars of the Roses (1459-61, 1469-71), both his realms in France (1453) and England (twice).

Much blame has always been laid at Henry’s door. He did not compare well with his father, Henry V (1387-1422), a charismatic soldier and decision-maker made immortal by his victory at Agincourt in 1415.
Read more: Henry VI: A Misjudged King? | History Today

:previous: Thank you for the article An Ard Ri, that was a fascinating read - the Tudors have always interested me.

You're welcome I must admit I'm more interested in both of Henry VIII's sisters than Henry himself.

Personally i think Henry VII is the most interesting of the Tudor monarchs.

I think he really does not get the credit he deserves.

The Tudors' dynasty has become a dominant branch of interest in the recent cinematography,literature and theatre.Sometimes I wish would be more projects about other dynasties,but Tudors cannot stop fascinating people.
The most prominent start was given by the controversial king Henry VIII who put the Anglican Church ahead,but operated massive exterminations.
It would be interesting to analyse ,what would have happenned if:
1)The king had remained the husband of Catherine of Aragon and proclaimed as heiress Mary Tudor,in this case could the British history have turned differently or if he proclaimed Henry Fitzroy as official heir(if he hadn't died young);
2)Anne Boleyn hadn't been executed,in case of the birth of a son or even if she remained alive,but Elizabeth had been the only child.How could Henry had decided the right heir?
3)The king had died during his second marriage and had Anne Boleyn remained with Elizabeth from a side ,but Mary Tudor party from other side
4)Ann Boleyn hadn't been executed,but sent to prison or monastery
5)Catherine Howard had given birth to a son,would have been more conflicts among heirs?
6)Mary Tudor had given birth to a child ,would the modern British Church be Catholic?
7)In case Mary Tudor had applied the capital punishment to Elizabeth,how would have the English throne established the heir?
8)If Mary Stewart had been intelligent enough to keep her throne,Scotland would have separately existed till nowadays .The other matter if Mary could have taken the English throne from Elizabeth .

I admit I am a Tudor groupie, it is my favorite and have read and seen everything possible. I also am fascinated by Victoria and her lot. But the Tudor era is more exciting, much more going on as far as in court. I wish there were even more films, etc...even though most have many inaccuracies. As entertainment, they are the best. Love the clothing of the era as well.

I admit I am a Tudor groupie, it is my favorite and have read and seen everything possible. I also am fascinated by Victoria and her lot. But the Tudor era is more exciting, much more going on as far as in court. I wish there were even more films, etc...even though most have many inaccuracies. As entertainment, they are the best. Love the clothing of the era as well.
I like reading about the Tudors too but sometimes it gets too depressing and I have to stop. And I'm glad the current royal family has toned things down a bit. I really don't want to turn on the TV only to see footage of the Queen ordering all her Kent cousins into the Tower or a weeping Meghan being led to the scaffold. [emoji3]

I like reading about the Tudors too but sometimes it gets too depressing and I have to stop. And I'm glad the current royal family has toned things down a bit. I really don't want to turn on the TV only to see footage of the Queen ordering all her Kent cousins into the Tower or a weeping Meghan being led to the scaffold. [emoji3]

But as far as entertainment, and learning a bit of history along the way...Tudors beat out modern day royals anyday, imo. Fantastical in many ways yet true.

Back
Top Bottom