The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness

Henry V was crowned on Passion Sunday in 1413. The month and day was April 9th.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

On June 28th, 1462, on behalf of Henry VI, Queen Margaret signed a treaty of peace with France, providing for a hundred year truce and barring all Englishmen from entering France unless they were certified true subjects of King Henry.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Royal Highness

Henry IV marked his coronation by instituting a new order of chivalry, the Order of Bath, and his four sons were its first members.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The love story of the dashing Edward the Black Prince and Joan of Kent.

Love in the Time of Plague
Old 02-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I actually read that novel mentioned in the article, The First Princess of Wales. I was always interested in Joan of Kent since she was a character in Anya Seton's wonderful novel, Katherine. I didn't realized that Joan was a Plantagenet and had such a colorful history.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I actually read that novel mentioned in the article, The First Princess of Wales. I was always interested in Joan of Kent since she was a character in Anya Seton's wonderful novel, Katherine. I didn't realized that Joan was a Plantagenet and had such a colorful history.
I am too BOB,a highly interesting and somewhat forgotten royal lady.Joan was Princess of Wales,Princess of Aquitaine,Countess of Salisbury,the 4th Countess of Kent & 5th Baroness Wake of Liddell!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Just love her titles! Makes me want to re-read that book.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Just love her titles! Makes me want to re-read that book.
Pity that her burial site at Greyfriars, Stamford in in Lincolnshire, England was not saved from destruction in 1538 during the suppression of that Friary
Old 02-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, darn it! No chance of her skeleton being discovered as another historic find.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Oh, darn it! No chance of her skeleton being discovered as another historic find.
Well I guess its a possibility in the future...if they ever decide to pull down the hospital which now sits on the old Friary!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Royal Highness

Philippa of Hainault's betrothal gift to Edward III was a compilation of Latin and French prayers and romances, including a translation of a pseudo-Aristotelian text. The text was De Secretis Secretorum.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Royal Highness

In 1443 Rene, Duke of Anjou, sent his daughter Margaret to live with her aunt, Queen Marie, at the French court.
Margaret spent a year at the French court.
The Burgundian chronicler Barante wrote:

There was no princess in Christendom more accomplished than my lady Margaret of Anjou. She was already renowned in France for her beauty and wit and her lofty spirit of courage.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness

The King's College of Our Lady and St. Nicholas at the University of Cambridge was founded in 1441 by Henry VI.
King's College was built for the for the further education of 70 scholars from Eton College. Henry had founded Eton College in 1440.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm reading the sunne in splendor now. Don't know if I'm going to be able to finish it. I have such a problem with Margaret d'Anjou and I really shouldn't. She was defending her husband and her sons rights. But I still feel the War of the Roses is her fault, her and Henry IV.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope you do finish Sunne in Splendour, Xenia, I find that one of the best novels in the Plantagenet saga and it gives such a good, sensitive portrayal of Richard III. Margaret d'Anjou isn't a sympathetic character, true, but she was fighting for the rights of both her husband and son and while she comes across as a driven and cruel woman, she certainly had her reasons. If Henry VI had been capable of maintaining his hold on the throne and didn't have his periods of mental incapacity, he'd have never been deposed by the York faction and the Cousins' War wouldn't have started. The same can be said of Richard II being deposed by the Lancastrian Henry IV.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Royal Highness

Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany (1158-1186), the son of King Henry II, was a good friend of Prince Philippe of France.
Geoffrey spent much time at Philippe's court in Paris.
Philippe made Geoffrey his seneschal.
In the French administrative system of the Middle Ages, the seneschal was a royal officer in charge of justice and control of the administration in southern provinces.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

So can it be said that Lancaster won the War of the Roses, or do you consider both sides won in the end?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would consider that both sides lost and both sides won. Henry VII was the Lancastrian heir, in a manner, but he wasn't technically a Lancaster. Elizabeth of York was not the York heir due to her gender, but her son (Henry VIII) would have been had he been born during the lifetime of either of Elizabeth's brothers.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Many considered Elizabeth to be the rightful York heiress barred from her gender from ruling, but she was crowned Queen Consort and it was considered somewhat of a triumph by the York supporters that she did sit on the throne. She actually strengthened Henry's claim to the throne, too, though he delayed her coronation by several years to accustom the public to seeing just him on the throne as the rightful ruler. Both sides did win with the merging of the both royal houses as well.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 AM
Nobility

Sorry to disagree; I have a more sombre look on wars - for me, both sides and the country lost during the war of the roses. By chance alone Henry Tudor outlived the other claimants and was a strong enought personality to rule. His claim on the throne was weak - He got his claim from the battlefields; an tiny bit from his mother and a hug lot from his wife.

Tags
angevin, british history, edward i, edward ii, edward iii, edward iv, edward v, henry ii, henry iii, henry iv, henry v, henry vi, king john, lancaster, middle ages, plantagenet, richard i, richard ii, richard iii, wars of the roses, york