The Earl of Lichfield - Royal Photographer (1939-2005)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sympathies to his family, especially his three children. I know Lady Eloise Anson particulary idolised him.

How terrible. May his soul rest in peace.

#1: British portrait photographer Patrick Lichfield, 5th Earl of Lichfield, on his wedding day, 10th March 1975. His new wife Leonora will become the Countess of Lichfield. (Photo by Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

And other photos of his wife and family from getty images

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 802
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,211
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 711
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 2,189
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,531
  • 51646503.jpg
    51646503.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,651
  • 55402599.jpg
    55402599.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,562
May he be resting peacefully. I extend my deepest sympathy to the Earls family.

mandyy said:
#1: British portrait photographer Patrick Lichfield, 5th Earl of Lichfield, on his wedding day, 10th March 1975. His new wife Leonora will become the Countess of Lichfield.
This was a great aristocratic match; unfortunately the marriage didn't last. Lady Leonora Grosvenor is the daughter of the Duke of Westminster, one of Britain's richest men. As an aside, she was a potential bride for the Prince of Wales at one time. But she decided she didn't want the restrictions of Royal life, so it came to nothing.

bernard lachaise said:
Was lord Lichfield divorced?
I have just had a look at thePeerage.com, http://www.thepeerage.com/p870.htm

They divorced "circa 1986".

Here's something else that's interesting...

Children of Thomas Edward Anson, 4th Earl of Lichfield and Evelyn Maud Keppel
Lt.-Col. Thomas William Arnold Anson, Viscount Anson+ b. 4 May 1913, d. 18 Mar 1958

The late Earl was the son of Viscount Anson. Anson's mother was a Keppel. Camilla's extended family pop up in the most unexpected places!

They divorced in 1986, after eleven years of marriage, allegedly due to his infidelity.

Leonora is the sister of the current Duke of Westminster.

when his funeral services? and what about member of Royal Family also?

Sara Boyce

Private Funeral Held For Lord Lichfield

The coffin of Lord Patrick Lichfield makes it's way into St Michael and All Angels Church on November 21 2005, Colwich, Staffordshire, England. Royal photographer Lord Lichfield died on November 11, 2005 and is to be buried in the Lichfield family vault at St Michael and All Angels Church near to the family's ancestral home of Shugborough Hall

from getty

Attachments

• 56246133.jpg
    56246133.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 436
  • 56246140.jpg
    56246140.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 423
  • 56246144.jpg
    56246144.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 702
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
My deepest sympathies to the Earl's family and friends.

So non members of The Royal Family be at the Funeral?I don't think The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will be there cause they will be in Wales tonight anyway for the Royal Variety Performance, and the Prince of Wales is quite busy today with engagements in Oxford.

fanletizia said:
Private Funeral Held For Lord Lichfield

The coffin of Lord Patrick Lichfield makes it's way into St Michael and All Angels Church on November 21 2005, Colwich, Staffordshire, England. Royal photographer Lord Lichfield died on November 11, 2005 and is to be buried in the Lichfield family vault at St Michael and All Angels Church near to the family's ancestral home of Shugborough Hall

from getty

wow. ok, i guess the word "romantic' isnt really appropriate for a funeral, but these photos are incredible. the fall leaves, the mist settling in, the old tomb stones...lots of atmosphere.

So either they family wanted the funeral to be private...or the royals will attend a memorial at a later date...just like they did when Lord Romsey died.

ysbel said:
Lord Lichfield was a very talented photographer and a very charming man but I always was uncomfortable with his attitudes towards women. He seemed to regard women as pretty jewels to look at rather than full three dimensional human beings.

He also had affairs with several common women while reserving marriage for ladies of the aristocracy. I have no problem with marrying within your class but I do have a problem with having one set of criteria for women you have romantic relationships with and another for women you marry.

He was known as a total womaniser, still he will be missed.

ysbel said:
Lord Lichfield was a very talented photographer and a very charming man but I always was uncomfortable with his attitudes towards women. He seemed to regard women as pretty jewels to look at rather than full three dimensional human beings.

He also had affairs with several common women while reserving marriage for ladies of the aristocracy. I have no problem with marrying within your class but I do have a problem with having one set of criteria for women you have romantic relationships with and another for women you marry.

I completely agree. i think that is disgusting! as if women who werent aristocrats were less deserving of respect. well, I guess they did choose to have affairs with him so they enabled it. but still for him to differentiate between marriageable and non marriable based on class is repulsive.

I remembered an old joke today. The Queen was in Australia and had just arrived in Melbourne. She was introduced to a man and asked her usual, "What do you do?" question. "Well Your Majesty, I'm a photographer". The Queen broke into a smile. "Really? I have a cousin who's a photographer". The man looked at the Queen and said in all seriousness, "Even more of a coincidence Ma'am, I have a cousin who's a Queen". The cousin of course was Lichfield.

Actually.... she said, "Oh how terribly interesting, actually my brother-in-law is photographer." To which the man said, "Really, I have a brother-in-law who is a queen." HM moved on without another word. She was referring to Lord Snowdon....not the Earl.

Thankyou Lady Marmalade! I originally posted Brother in Law and thought, no, that can't be right, it must have been a cousin - at least I'm not going barmy!

BeatrixFan said:
Thankyou Lady Marmalade! I originally posted Brother in Law and thought, no, that can't be right, it must have been a cousin - at least I'm not going barmy!

No, Sam, I would hope not...otherwise who would keep me in line on here? ;)

LOL. Thats right. Remember, you're supposed to submit all posts to me for censoring and you haven't been doing that recently. We are not amused.

Oops...sorry...I was busy with Thanksgiving all last week....thank god it is over!! :)

You are forgiven. But remember the signature - "show me who to smite and they shall be smoten"

As a passionate photographer myself, I admire Lichfield a lot! Has anybody an idea, where I can find his portraits of the royal family? Especially those from the members of the Kent-family (saw only a few in a magazine)? I googled, but found nothing.

I was amazed to see his guest appearance on Keeping Up Appearances (the cruise show, where Hyacinth believes Onslow and Rose stowed away on the QE2).

Back
Top Bottom