The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Courtier

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Highlands and Islands | Curtain returns to prince's base

"Bonnie Prince Charlie-Culloden House, near Inverness, Scotland."

Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Courtier

Courtesy of Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5385835/Divers-discover-wreck-of-ship-sent-to-help-Bonnie-Prince-Charlie.html

"(The wreck is located off the coast of the Isle of Anglesey-Northern Wales)."

Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Gentry

Diana

Who are the 4 sons of Charles II Princess Diana are descended from? I can only think of two, the Duke of Richmond and the Duke of Grafton.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Diana descended from Mary Scott, the Duke of Grafton and the Duke of Richmond, children of King Charles II.
Albero
Old 06-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Courtier

This article : BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Move to change succession laws discusses the recent moves to bring in gender equality to the line of succession but will preserve the requirement that the monarch and their heir's must be Anglican/Protestant.

I guess that the Stuarts will be stuck whining about how they were robbed for a while longer.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Administrator

It should be noted that the BBC story is not current but dated April 2008.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Courtier

Even though the article is not recent, it highlights that the Stuart family still faces major problems in returning to power.

Even though the requirement that the monarch cannot be a Catholic is a tad out of place in a multi-faith world, it should not be seen as a deliberate attempt at discrimination - the Hanover's were chosen to rule in order to uphold Protestantism, something that was seen as necessary at the time
Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Aristocracy

Although I don't consider it likely, I don't think it is impossible for Scotland to have a personal union with the sovereign of Liechtenstein. The boy is only a teenager now, but if he grows up to be very popular in the world, it may make him popular in Scotland.
Thesongs still resonate.
Skye Boat
Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

IMO, It will never happen! But then what would I know, being of Scottish/English descent and living part of the year in Scotland!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Royal Stuart Society activities
BONNIE Prince Charlie was defeated again in Derby – this time in front of one of his descendants
Old 01-07-2011, 04:04 AM

Michael James Alexander Stewart of Albany

Does anyone know anything about this guy who claims to be a remnant of the Stuarts?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Royal Stuart pseudo claimant - "Prince Michael of Albany"
This pretended heir of the male line of the Royal House of Stuart like some other pseudo-princes, has based himself in Belgium, a country which also has an over abundance of self-styled "Orders".
The Royal House of Stuart became extinct in the male line with the death of Henry (IX) Stuart, Duke of York, Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church and Bishop of Frascati, in 1807. He had succeeded his elder brother, Charles (III) Stuart, sometimes known as "Bonnie Prince Charlie", in 1788, on the latter's death without legitimate issue (he left one illegitimate daughter, Clementina, who also died without issue). Both were the sons of James (III), Prince of Wales, only son of James II, King of England, Scotland, France and Ireland, (illegally) deposed as King of England and Scotland on 10 Dec 1688, and as King of Ireland six months later, who died in exile in 1701.
With the death of Cardinal Henry of York, representation of the House of Stuart passed to Charles Emmanuel of Savoy, King of Sardinia. The latter's present heir is Franz, Duke of Bavaria.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Report on the Pedigree of Michel Lafosse, Styled Prince Michael of Albany

Michel Lafosse, also known as Prince Michael of Albany, is not an Irish Chief or Prince, but by virtue of his claim to be the Stuart heir to the Throne of Scotland he does appropriate some Irish lineage and therefore deserves attention.
Who is Lafosse and what is the nature of his claim?
By his own account, Lafosse was born in Belgium in 1958, has made Scotland his permanent home since 1976, and in addition to being the 7th Count of Albany, he goes by the style of Alexander IV, Head of the Royal House of Stuart (or Stewart) and Prince de jure of Scotland. Other more exotic titles include Titular Prince of France and Poland, Head of the Sacred Kindred of Saint Columba, Archpriest of the Celtic Apostolic Church, President of the European Council of Princes, Knight Grand Commander, The Chivalric Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem, and much more. - Full article
Old 01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

I think I read often enough about this guy and still he is fake. I wonder how my ancestors got their documents right in order to claim an Aryan pass for the Nazi authorities when this guy is not able to produce documents for any of his claims...
Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Aristocracy

Charles II to Diana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasaborg View Post
Who are the 4 sons of Charles II Princess Diana are descended from? I can only think of two, the Duke of Richmond and the Duke of Grafton.
My research agrees with your statement (although she does have bloodlines through a daughter as well)
Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Grafton 1663-1690
Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond 1672-1723
Mary Scott 1651-1693
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomartin View Post
My research agrees with your statement (although she does have bloodlines through a daughter as well)
Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Grafton 1663-1690
Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond 1672-1723
Mary Scott 1651-1693
Diana was also descended from James II and Arabella Churchill through their daughter, Henrietta FitzJames.

The lineage: James II --> Henrietta FitzJames, Countess of Newcastle --> James Waldegrave, 1st Earl Waldegrave --> James Waldegrave, 2nd Earl Waldegrave --> Lady Anne Horatia Waldegrave --> Sir Horace Beauchamp Seymour --> Adelaide Horatia Elizabeth Seymour, Countess Spencer, who married Frederick, 4th Earl Spencer of Althorp.

Frederick and Adelaide were Diana's great-great grandparents.

Incidentally, Henrietta FitzJames' second husband, Piers Butler, was the 3d Viscount Galmoye and was given a Jacobite Peerage as the 1st Earl of Newcastle in 1692.

The English Parliament attainted him in 1697, and his Irish titles were forfeited, presumably because he was a Jacobite supporter, fought in the War of Spanish Succession and had become a Lt. General in the Spanish Army.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

James III and Charles III

I know that James III had a son named "Charles III" in the Jacobite succession.Charles had an illegitimate daughter named Charlotte.Did she have any legitimate heirs to the succession?Who are their actual descendants?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I know that James III had a son named "Charles III" in the Jacobite succession.Charles had an illegitimate daughter named Charlotte.Did she have any legitimate heirs to the succession?Who are their actual descendants?
"Charles III" aka Bonnie Prince Charlie aka The Count of Albany did have an illegitimate daughter named Charlotte, styled Duchess of Albany.

Being illegitimate herself, Charlotte could not have any legitimate heirs to the Jacobite Succession.. in fact, Charles didn't even recognize her until she was 30 years old.

She never married - and was explicitly forbidden to marry by her father. Although she had three children, they were all illegitimate as well.

Charlotte was the mistress of the Archbishop of Bordeaux and Cambrai, Ferdinand de Rohan. Their children were: Marie Victoire Adelaide de Roehenstart (1779), Charlotte Maximilienne Amelie de Roehenstart (1780), and Charles Edward de Roehenstart (1784). Their surname was was a play on Rohan-Stuart, which apparently was also sometimes attributed to them.

These children were so secret that even Charles himself had no knowledge that they existed, and Charlotte did not mention them in her will. Cardinal Henry Stuart didn't know about them either.

They were apparently legitimized and/or recognized at some point as the children of the Duc de Montbazon, the elder brother of the Archbishop, and were taken into the Rohan family. Charlotte's mother Clementina Walkinshaw cared for them in Switzerland until her death in 1802, and it is thought the girls were then sent into the care of Thomas Coutts, a London banker and distant relative.

Charlotte de Roehenstart died relatively young in Paris, after giving birth to a stillborn son. She left no issue.

Charles de Roehenstart styled himself "Count Roehenstart" and there is no record of any issue for him, though he was twice married. He was educated by his father's family in Germany, became an officer in the Russian army, and a General in the Austrian service. He died in Stirling, Scotland in 1854.

Marie Victoire de Roehenstart married three times, having a son with her first husband, Paul Anthony, Chevalier de Nikorowicz. Her son was Antime de Nikorowicz, and he was known to have two children - Charles and Julia-Therese.

Julia-Therese married Polish Count Leonard Pininski and had at least one son, Alexander August, whose grandson Stanislaus was born in Paris in 1925.

Stanislaus' son Peter Pininski did the genealogical research on his ancestry, and has published a book about his family and their direct link to Charles Stuart. At least one chairman of the Royal Stuart Society has accepted his evidence as genuine.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very interesting information,thank you!I just wonder how many Stuart pretenders were around the centuries.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Very interesting information,thank you!I just wonder how many Stuart pretenders were around the centuries.
There has always been a Stuart pretender in the Jacobite Succession, even today.

The current pretender is "Francis II" whose real name is Franz Bonaventura Adalbert Maria, Duke of Bavaria, born in 1933. He is also the head of the Wittelsbach family and a descendant of the Kings of Bavaria. Franz has never married, so his heir is his younger brother Prince Max, whose eldest daughter is the Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein.

After the death of Cardinal Henry Stuart, the Jacobite succession went to Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia (House of Savoy). He was the descendant of Charles I through his youngest daughter Henrietta Anne Stuart.

In 1842, Marie Beatrice of Savoy married the Duke of Modena, and their son Francis V inherited the Jacobite claim. Francis was of the House of Austria-Este, and when his daughter Maria Theresia married Ludwig III of Bavaria, the claim passed to the House of Wittelsbach.

Tags
act of settlement, jacobite, line of succession, pretender, stuart