The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schlesian
This line was a Sellers observation about the extent to which the United States invests it's time and resources into re-building countries (such as Germany and Japan), which it defeats (or is on the 'winning side'), during war. It's a fantastic film, and one which I think highlights (with humour), a few of these correct observations.
The film is a rare jewel hardly anyone remembers or knows about. When you read those descriptions you think of the news today, the nation-building frenzy. And the film is so timeless since it was done half a century ago and the same issues are still in the news today.

That's why I propose and actualized version of it using this thread as the background, Liechenstein's vs Britain! But making it a modern comedy-political film.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Royal Highness

Can Scotland separate itself from Britain/England on a legal technicality? Anyone from the British threads expert or knowledgeable on the matters of Royal laws?

Old 01-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Nobility

Under the terms of the Act of Union 1707, no.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

And even if there was some substance...aren't the Liechtenstein's Catholic?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
And even if there was some substance...aren't the Liechtenstein's Catholic?
Never let facts spoil a good fantasy! :)
Old 01-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Royal Highness

Uh oh....sorry Warren..

heh heh...:)
Old 01-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the whole point is that the Jacobites reject the provisions of the Act of Settlement, so the fact that the claimants are Catholic wouldn't be relevant to them.

Thing is, would a conversion to Protestant Christianity remove any of the Jacobite claimants from the - er - "succession"? Are they are theologically selective as the present lot?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Until reading this thread, I never understood why some have said that HRH Sophie of Liechtenstein was the rightful heir to the British throne. Since the Jacobites consider Elizabeth I to be illegitimate, who if any is suppose to "overturn" this?...Parliment? Also, are we just suppose to erase everything that was established/occurred during her reign? If Elizabeth wasn't suppose to ascend to the throne, then a lot of the free world or however one wants to word it, wouldn't exist as we know it. Whew!!! They didn't call it The Golden Age for nothing. JMO though.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Yes Kerry, Parliament would have to overturn the succession, tear up the Act of Settlement, and turf out the Windsors, all unlikely prospects.
There may be a few serious Jacobite supporters but for the rest of us it is just an amusing diversion from the main game; even more so because the Jacobite claim has passed into the Bavarian Royal House and will eventually pass to the reigning Prince of Liechtenstein.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Warren,
I agree that it is amusing but it is also a mess! Kind of reminds me of "he said/she said" gossip. Can't see it happening either.

Thanks for the insight.:)
Old 01-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh, I don't suppose anyone really seriously thinks it'll ever happen. It's just that some people find the "what if" scenarios interesting.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Oh, I don't suppose anyone really seriously thinks it'll ever happen. It's just that some people find the "what if" scenarios interesting.
Yes, comparable to a 'what if the Axis powers won the Second World War' etc.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I agree it should be repealed and is blatant religious discrimination. However, if they repeal it, there could be a push for a Catholic monarch and there are other claimants from the Stuart line that have a better claim to the throne than the Queen. Wouldn't that open up a nasty can of worms?
I did a bit of research into the topic and found that currently there is no claimant from the Stuart line with inheritance rights. All living descendents of the Stuarts are derived from the marriage of princess Henrietta Maria Stuart(sister of Charles II) and Philippe, duke of Orleans, the brother of king Louis XIV. of France. In order to marry duke Philippe, henrietta Maria gave up all her british rights for herself and her children. Thus, after the death of cardinal Henry Stuart, the brother of Bonnie Prince Charlie, no claimant with a real right was there, as these rights had been forfeited by Henrietta Maria.
The current head of the Royal House of Bavaria, who would have been c claimant if Henriette Maria had preserved her inheritance rights, which she didn't, publicly asked Jacobites not to use British Royal titles in connection with him and his family.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Serene Highness

Anyhow, when William ascends the throne, a direct descendent of Charles II (several times over) will be king.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:00 AM
Majesty

Actually the present Windsors ARE descendents of the Stuarts - James I to be precise.

James I's grand-daughter was the Sophia, Electress of Hanover from whom the Hanoverians claimed the throne.

The current Royal Family's legitimate descent from James I of England and VI of Scotland is as follows - James 1 - Elizabth - Sophia - George I - George II - Frederick Prince of Wales - George III - Edward, Duke of Kent - Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II - Charles - William.

As you can see William will not be bringing Stuart blood back to the throne of England - it has never left it!!!!

After the death of the last Stuart monarch Queen Anne in 1714 the succession passed to Anne's father's (James II) father's (Charles I) sister's (Elizabeth) daughter's (Sophia) son (George I) i.e. it went to the next who could claim descent from a Stuart monarch - to do so meant going back to James I and VI as all the descendents of Charles I were Roman Catholic as were any more senior claimants to Sophia.

Elizabeth had married Frederick V, Elector of Palatine and the Rhine and their 12th child. Those ahead of her in claiming the throne were denied due to being either deceased or Roman Catholic.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57

After the death of the last Stuart monarch Queen Anne in 1714 the succession passed to Anne's father's (James II) father's (Charles I) sister's (Elizabeth) daughter's (Sophia) son (George I) i.e. it went to the next who could claim descent from a Stuart monarch - to do so meant going back to James I and VI as all the descendents of Charles I were Roman Catholic as were any more senior claimants to Sophia.

Elizabeth had married Frederick V, Elector of Palatine and the Rhine and their 12th child. Those ahead of her in claiming the throne were denied due to being either deceased or Roman Catholic.
If German sources that I read are correct, then it is not that simple. Both the sisters of Charles I (Elizabeth Stuart) and Charles II/James II (Henrietta Maria) had renounced their inheritance rights on marrying. Elizabeth had married the prince-elector of the Palatinate, king of Bohemia (for one winter...) and Henrietta Maria the brother of Louis XIV, Philippe, duc d'Orleans.

But - when Elizabeth's son prince Rupprecht (Rupert the Cavalier) of the Palatinate became a very sucessful general in the fight against Cromwell and helped his cousin Charles II to regain his throne, he was not only created duke of Cumberland, but his mother was put again into the line of succession with the idea that maybe Rupprecht might come in handy one day. Alas, Rupprecht left no legitimate issue and died in 1662.

So it is a fact that prince-electress Sophie, Rupprechts' sister had a right to the throne while Henrietta Maria's kids had not. Sophie's 8 brothers left no legitimate male descendants and the one daughter, Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate had renounced her inheritance rights as well when she married Henrietta Maria's widower.

it is true that the Act of Settlement was against the catholic Stuarts, but the last legitimate Stuart claimant with a senior right to the Hanoverans died in 1761 (Henry, son of James II.). So in 1761 the throne would have passed to the Hanoveran George's, even if the Act of Settlement had never been.

Thus, there is no Jacobite claimant anymore. It's just the Windsors...
Old 09-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Bells ring out for Clan Cameron

A 260-year-old tradition has been revived for the triumphal return of a historic clan to Glasgow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/5348800.stm
Old 09-17-2006, 03:27 AM
Nobility

When William comes to the throne, he would be able to claim descent from Charles II through his mother. Or he could marry a descent from the Stuarts/Jacobite pretenders! Probably by then, the Scottish would be happy!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Hi Von Schlesian. I enjoy the historical and dynastic quirk that means one day the Stuart/Jacobite legitimists will be swearing allegiance to their "rightful" King, the Reigning Prince of Liechtenstein.

Taking into account the "fortuitous" marriage of the Hereditary Prince with Duchess Sophie, perhaps Prince Hans Adam has an ambitious long-term plan! Liechtenstien is obviously too small for all of those Princes, so its only a matter of time before a challenge is made to the legitimacy of the House of Windsor. Liechtenstein rules the waves, and claims a Kingdom!

As an aside, I was talking to a guy here in Sydney last week who was a fierce Stuart Legitimist. He referred to the Windsors as "illegitimate usurpers" (amongst other things), and he was serious. Scarey!

A more "almost came true" what-if: Assume Crown Prince Philippe leaves no living descendants; Astrid would succeed to the Belgian throne, to be followed in due course by the Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este. Obviously he would be using his other second name of "of Belgium", but in reality the Imperial House of Habsburg would have regained a Kingdom! Until Mathilde made her dazzling appearance on the scene, there was a possibiliity that this scenario would come true. Were some Habsburgs gnashing their teeth when they married?

cheers,
W
i really learnt a lot in this thread. thanks for the info. so the rightful king to the british throne is the current Prince Hans Adam of Liechtstein. wow. king hans adam of england . i was thinking about that to "Were some Habsburgs gnashing their teeth when they married?" (didn't really realise that he was eventually going to be king, if phillipe never had kids). do you think that the hasburg family [secretly wishes] to gain a throne or are they now a days just living a normal life?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flctylu
i really learnt a lot in this thread. thanks for the info. so the rightful king to the british throne is the current Prince Hans Adam of Liechtstein. wow. king hans adam of england . i was thinking about that to "Were some Habsburgs gnashing their teeth when they married?" (didn't really realise that he was eventually going to be king, if phillipe never had kids). do you think that the hasburg family [secretly wishes] to gain a throne or are they now a days just living a normal life?
No, not Hans Adam. - (Not directed at you Flctylu, this thread seems bent)

I am a noob, knob, definitely not nubile nobility (yep, definitely knob), but I think this much was clear:
The current pretender is Franz, Duke of Bavaria. He has no issue/heir, whatever.
It then goes to his cousin once removed, Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria, and descends to his daughter the Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein, then her son Prince Joseph Wenzel, heir to the throne of Liechtenstein will tie them together.

Good idea for a thread, but this thing wanders all over the page.

Where's Oppie when you need her?

The Habsburg catch was interesting, props

Tags
act of settlement, jacobite, line of succession, pretender, stuart