Royal Burials

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Burials of English Monarchs and their Consorts Outside of England

Catherine of Braganza (1638-1705)
Queen Consort of England
Wife of King Charles II of England
Buried - Jeronimos Monastery, Lisbon, Portugal

Charles II's Queen Consort, Catherine of Bragança, now lies in the Braganza family mausoleum, at the Church of Sao Vicente de Fora in Lisbon, along with many of the Kings and Queens of the Bragança dynasty.

Looking for a Queen of England in Peterborough,burial site of Catherine of Aragon.

Looking for a Queen of England in Peterborough – Royal Central

My favorite of Henry VIII's queens. How sad that she and her daughter Mary were not permitted to lie in rest together as per Mary I's wish....but Mary was so unpopular at the time of her own death that it does not surprise me that he wishes were ignored. I wonder if she(Mary) was even accorded a proper Catholic Requiem Mass?:sad:

Thanks much An Ard Ri!:)

My favorite of Henry VIII's queens. How sad that she and her daughter Mary were not permitted to lie in rest together as per Mary I's wish....but Mary was so unpopular at the time of her own death that it does not surprise me that he wishes were ignored. I wonder if she(Mary) was even accorded a proper Catholic Requiem Mass?:sad:

Thanks much An Ard Ri!:)

Here is an article I found on the Funeral of Mary I,her beloved and staunchly Catholic cousin,Lady Margaret Douglas was the chief mourner,something I had forgotten.

https://tudorsandotherhistories.wordpress.com/2015/12/14/the-funeral-of-queen-mary-i-she-was-a-kings-daughter-sister-wife-and-a-king-also/

Discovering King Henry I in Reading Abbey could increase tourism to the town.

Wouldn't it be amazing if they discovered the royal burials at Reading Abbey!The King,his 2nd wife,Adeliza of Louvain were buried behind the High Altar at the end of the Abbey.Others buried here at the Abbey included Constance of York, Countess of Gloucester,Reginald de Dunstanville, 1st Earl of Cornwall,Anne de Beauchamp, 15th Countess of Warwick and William IX, Count of Poitiers.

Discovering King Henry I in Reading could increase tourism to the town - Get Reading

Margaret of York,Duchess of Burgundy and sister to two kings of England was buried at the Franciscan church of Malines in 1503 at her express wishes.Her funeral Monument no longer survives as it 1566 the church was ransacked by Calvinists during the Iconoclasm fury of that summer and again in 1580 by the English Fury.It was assumed her remains were also desecrated but in Feruary 1955 workemen digging in the choir of the church discovered by complete accident a lead coffin with the remnants of a skeleton and following extensive examinations it was determined that the remains were remains of a woman of about fifty years of age, tall, with relatively narrow shoulders, a wide pelvis and slender limbs.

Was this the remains of Margaret of York?

http://www.richardiii.net/downloads/Ricardian/2005_vol15_de_win_danse_macabre.pdf

Tewkesbury Abbey of St Mary the Virgin in Gloucestershire is the burial site of many notables over the centuries though only a few of the tomb monuments survived the Reformation and Cromwell.

Robert FitzHamon, Norman Lord and founder of the Abbey (died March 1107)
Richard de Clare, 3rd Earl of Hertford (1217)
Richard de Clare, 6th Earl of Gloucester( Died 14 July 1262)
Maud de Lacy,Countess of Hertford and Gloucester (1288)
Gilbert de Clare,6th Earl of Hertford,7th Earl of Gloucester,3rd Lord of Glamorgan (Died 7 December 1295)
Gilbert de Clare, 8th Earl of Gloucester, 7th Earl of Hertford (Died 24 June 1314)
Eleanor de Clare, 6th Lady of Glamorgan (1337)
Isabel le Despenser, Countess of Arundel (1356)
Edward le Despenser, 1st Baron Despenser (Died 11 November 1375)
Elizabeth Despencer, 3rd Baroness Burghersh (Died August 1402)
Richard Despenser, 4th Baron Burghersh (1414)
Richard Beauchamp, 1st Earl of Worcester (1422)
Isabel le Despenser, Countess of Worcester and Warwick (1439)
Henry Beauchamp, 1st Duke of Warwick (Died 11 June 1446)
John Courtenay, 15th Earl of Devon (Died 4 May 1471)
Edmund Beaufort,Duke of Somerset (died 6 May 1471)
John Beaufort, Marquess of Dorset, Earl of Dorset (Died 4 May 1471)
George, Duke of Clarence (Died 18 February 1478)

Tonbridge Priory, in Kent and Clare Priory in Suffolk were the main burial site for the Anglo-Norman Noble House of de Clare .The Priory at Tonebridge and tombs were destroyed during the dissolution of the Monasteries.Clare Priory was dissolved and torn down in 1538 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries ,no burials have survived either.

Arms of the de Clare Family

218px-CoA_Gilbert_de_Clare.svg.png

Buried at the Tonbridge Priory were

Gilbert Fitz Richard,2nd Lord of Clare (died 1117)
Gilbert Fitz Richard ,Earl of Brionne ,Earl of Hertford,3rd Lord of Clare (Died 1136)
Richard de Clare, 3rd Earl of Hertford,Lord of Clare (died 1217)
Margaret de Clare, Countess of Gloucester, Countess of Cornwall (died 1342)
Hugh de Audley, 1st Earl of Gloucester (died 1347)
Margaret de Audley, 2nd Baroness Audley (died 1351)

Buried at Clare Priory were
Joan of Acre,Countess of Hertford,Countess of Gloucester (died 1307)
Elizabeth de Burgh, 4th Countess of Ulster (died 1363)
Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence (died 1368
Edmund Mortimer, 5th Earl of March, 7th Earl of Ulster (died 1425)

The now lost Augustinian House of Bisham Abbey served as the principal burial site for the Noble House of Montagu.

No tombs or burials have been preserved as the abbey was ransacked and pulled down following its dissolution

Buried at Bisham Abbey
Simon Montagu, 1st Baron Montagu +1316
William Montagu, 2nd Baron Montagu +1319
William Montagu, 1st Earl of Salisbury +1344
Catherine Grandison, Countess of Salisbury +1349
Sir William Salisbury +1383
John Montagu, 3rd Earl of Salisbury +1400
Eleanor Holland, Countess of Salisbury +1413
Maud Francis, Countess of Salisbury +1424
Thomas Montagu, 4th Earl of Salisbury +1428
Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury +1460
Sir Thomas Neville +1460
Alice Montacute, 5th Countess of Salisbury +1462
Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick (The Kingmaker) +1471
John Neville, 1st Marquess of Montagu +1471
Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick +1499
Sir Arthur Pole +1532

Another lost burial/tomb is that of Marie de St Pol, Countess of Pembroke (+1377) the widow of Aymer de Valence, 2nd Earl of Pembroke who was a cousin of Edward I. The Earl was buried at Westminster Abbey in 1324 and his tomb is preserved but his widow was buried before the high altar at Denny Abbey in Cambridgeshire, England.The Abbey survived until 1536 when it was dissolved the nuns and the last Abbess,Elizabeth Throckmorton were evicted in 1538.The church was pulled down and nothing survived.

The Countess of Pembroke at prayer.
Marie_de_Ch%C3%A2tillon_BnF_Latin_4223_B_fol._52v.jpg

A team of scientists and art historians take a look at the tomb of Edward the Black Prince at Canterbury Cathedral .

Edward was Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall and died in 1376.

Has it been discovered who commissioned the tomb and who made it? It asks these questions at the end of the clip but I can't find an answer so far.

Sadly it seems a lot of Yevele's work was lost during the reformation such as the magnificent tomb of Eleanor of Lancaster, Countess of Arundel tomb at Lewes Priory.

Princess Beatrice of United Kingdom (daughter of Queen Victoria) was buried in The Battenberg Chapel at St. Mildred's Church on Isle of Wight. She was buried next to her husband Prince Henry of Battenberg. Princess Beatrice and Prince Henry of Battenberg were also married in St. Mildred's Church.

Link on the Battenberg Chapel from the St. Mildred's Church website: St. Mildred's Church, Whippingham, Isle of Wight - The Battenberg Chapel

Link to some pictures and descriptions of St. Mildred's Church on Visit Isle of Wight's website: https://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/things-to-do/queen-victorias-church-st-mildreds-p1069381

Princess Beatrice of York (now Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi) visited St. Mildred's Church in 2014.
Princess Beatrice standing in front of portraits of Prince Henry of Battenberg and Princess Beatrice of United Kingdom
Princess Beatrice and staffs at the Battenberg Chapel (correct me if I'm wrong)

Pictures from this tweet:

The burial Place of Mary Tudor, Queen of France, sister to Henry VIII at St Mary's Church, Bury St Edmunds.

Her husband Charles Brandon ,Duke of Suffolk is buried at Windsor at St George’s chapel and their daughter Lady Frances Brandon, Duchess of Suffolk is buried at Westminster Abbey. Perhaps Henry did not have her reburied at St Georges as Mary was a firm supporter of Katherine of Aragon.

Yes, they fell out. It's quite a nice story of sisterhood, Mary supporting her sister-in-law over her brother and his mistress, even when it became clear that Catherine was going to be pushed aside.

Back
Top Bottom