Royal Burials

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How wonderful. I enjoyed the biography of Princess Alice by Vickers. It would be incredible to be able to see her tomb in the church. She greatly admired the religious devotion of her aunts, Empress Alexandra and Grand Duchess Elizabeth.

Search for the remains of James I of Scotland?

James I of Scotland and his queen were buried at Scotland's only Carthusian Priory in Perth,it was known as the Charterhouse.It was founded in 1429 by King James I,he was buried there in 1437 and his queen,Joan Beaufort was interred in 1445.Margaret Tudor,widow of James IV was buried here in 1541.

Not sure that a dig (if there is to be one) would find anything,the Perth Charterhouse was attacked and destroyed by the Reformers in 1559,most of the royal remains were burnt including Margaret Tudor's .

Richard III story could inspire Perth to find its own royal remains - Perth & Kinross / Local / News / The Courier

Alfred the Great was buried at Hyde Abbey which was destroyed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539.The burials have been disturbed several times since then,several coffins were discovered in the 1780's and were stripped of lead,the remains inside were simply dumped as per the records. Finding Alfred might well be like searching for a needle in a haystack!

Archaeologists hope to find Alfred the Great in an unmarked grave in Winchester | Mail Online

I'll take anyone; I'm on an archeological buzz!:D

It would be great if they could identify remains after all these centuries since this is going back to 900 A.D.

Search for the remains of James I of Scotland?

James I of Scotland and his queen were buried at Scotland's only Carthusian Priory in Perth,it was known as the Charterhouse.It was founded in 1429 by King James I,he was buried there in 1437 and his queen,Joan Beaufort was interred in 1445.Margaret Tudor,widow of James IV was buried here in 1541.

Not sure that a dig (if there is to be one) would find anything,the Perth Charterhouse was attacked and destroyed by the Reformers in 1559,most of the royal remains were burnt including Margaret Tudor's .

Richard III story could inspire Perth to find its own royal remains - Perth & Kinross / Local / News / The Courier

As a religious person the idea of desecrating the remains of the dead out of hatred or differences in political ideology is just repugnant beyond words. As a lover of history, it's also very, very frustrating.

The story above reminds me of the desecration of the Royal tombs at St. Denis during the French Revolution.:ohmy:

I just noticed that Prince John the son of George V and Queen Mary is buried at St. Mary's Magadalene church in Sandringham.

Why wasn't he buried in a royal crypt? I know he was hidden from the public due to epilepsy, but it seems he wasn't even acknowledged as a royal in death!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

He was born at Sandringham at York Cottage and spent all of his short life there. Why bury him in Windsor?

I just noticed that Prince John the son of George V and Queen Mary is buried at St. Mary's Magadalene church in Sandringham.

Why wasn't he buried in a royal crypt? I know he was hidden from the public due to epilepsy, but it seems he wasn't even acknowledged as a royal in death!

Only senior members of the royal family are buried in a royal crypt. There are only very limited places left (I believe only for Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh). The late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother joined her husband King George VI. Their daughter Princess Margaret only was interred into the same crypt because she was cremated. Otherwise she would have been buried outside as well.

:flowers:

Only senior members of the royal family are buried in a royal crypt. There are only very limited places left (I believe only for Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh). The late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother joined her husband King George VI. Their daughter Princess Margaret only was interred into the same crypt because she was cremated. Otherwise she would have been buried outside as well.

I think there's also place for the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall there.

That's not the Royal crypt which is under the church. It's the George Vi memorial chapel which was built much later.

That's not the Royal crypt which is under the church. It's the George Vi memorial chapel which was built much later.

Yes, you are right, I always confuse a crypt, mausoleum, burial vault or memorial chapel, etc.

From what I once understood, the Queen and the Duke will be interred in the George VI Memorial Chapel. There seems to be space for the two but for the Prince of Wales, his consort and his descendants (Prince William, Prince George) new places need to be created, I believe.

Last edited:
Prince Leopold, Queen Victoria's youngest son, died at Cannes where he was convalescing after a fall. It was festival time; the Battle of the Flowers. He was a haemophiliac, hurt his knee, and died from the complications.

He had once told his wife, who was expecting a baby at the time of his death in March 1884, that he wanted to be buried in St George's Chapel where they were married 'beneath the place where the beautiful music and singing was going on'.

The Queen would have liked Leopold to have been buried at Frogmore, but decided in the end to place him in Prince Albert Chapel next to St George's because she felt the vault of St George's was too difficult to visit.

Four of Queen Victoria's nine children died away from England and three are buried in Germany.

He is also buried near his uncle, Prince Alexander John Charles Albert of Wales, son of the future Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, who died age one day in 1871. Queen Alexandra reportedly told Queen Mary that "our darling Johnnies lie side by side."

Henrietta, known as 'Minette', was the much loved youngest daughter of King Charles I. Born in Devon, she spent much of her life in France. Minette was married off to the dissolute younger brother of the King of France, Phiip, Duke of Orleans, at sixteen.

She died at the age of 29 in June 1670, and is buried in the Cathedral of St Denis, Paris.

Her youngest daughter, Anne Marie, who was less than a year old when her mother died, grew up to marry Victor Amadeus II, Duke of Savoy. From the descendants of this marriage comes the present-day Stuart claimant to the British throne, (a Roman Catholic.)

Henrietta was buried at St Denis but all burials at the Basilique Saint-Denis were desecrated in October 1793 and the bodies dumped into mass pits outside the Abbey church.Some remains were salvaged from the mass pits in January 1817 but they could not distinguish who's bones they had and all are thus buried in an ossuary in the crypt. Its quite possible some of her remains are in that ossury jumbled up with Catherine de Médicis and Louis XIV!

16bc6ps.jpg

Fascinating An Ard Ri. I forgot about a little thing called the French Revolution! Still, Minette is possibly still there in part, enjoying distinguished company in the crypt!

I'd imagine the Duchess was possibly buried alongside her mother at St Denis as they were both dumped into the mass pits on October 18th,1793.

Prince John's Grave at St. Mary's Magadalene church in Sandringham.

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2001/222/johnprince.jpg

James II was buried at the chapel of the English Benedictines of Saint-Edmond,sadly they were desecrated in 1793.His viscera which was buried elsewhere with those of his wife and daughter Louise were rediscovered in 1824 during repairs to the church of St Germain.

Mary of Modena,queen of James II was buried at the Couvent des Visitandines de Chaillot near Paris but her burial was destroyed in 1794,the convent was later demolished.

Back
Top Bottom