The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I imagine he'd be interred at York Minster, and whilst Leicester "found" him. There are no ties for him there as a royal.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Serene Highness

There has been a 'reconstruction" of how Richard might have sounded, in a West Midlands accent, by professor in England, posted on Miss Honoria Glossip. It's posted elsewhere as well. The article I read said he had West Midland ties more than York, although he reigned from York and was popular there.
Richard's DNA haplogroup, articles have also said, has been found to be J1c2c (with the "c" not clear yet--could be another digit than "c" at the end of J1c2, like "b").

The haplogroup J would be his maternal haplogroup, which would indicate his mother came from that group, which is relatively recent, originating 4000-plus years ago in the Middle East, in the area then occupied by Israel and the area surrounding, as in Biblical Ur and Arabia. The J haplogroup is a minority group in Europe, hitting its height in Ireland, where the modern Irish have 11% of population in the J1C2b group, which my Irish mom and I fall into. This is technical stuff beyond my complete understanding but I thought I'd post it as a matter of some interest. I get tangled up when speaking of genealogy, in which I am not trained, but it's fascinating, and was used to verify the remains of Richard in the carpark. His modern "nephew" is Michael Ibsen, a British carpenter who has this haplogroup.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
he article I read said he had West Midland ties more than York, although he reigned from York and was popular there.
The main point in this is that he was the last King of The House of York, not of the West Midlands or Leicester.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Serene Highness

I understand, Lumutqueen.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I hope you succeed.

I have nothing against Leicester but it's hardly a suitable place for the King's reburial. For the past 500 years, he lay there, humiliated and forgotten. Now, there is a chance to give Richard a proper farewell, at a place that has a better association. Some place like York where was genuinely loved and the place he himself cared for deeply.
I agree with this. Richard and York had a reciprocal relationship where he was greatly loved and respected by that city and he had deep ties there, not only because he was of the House of York. To be buried just feet away from his ignominious burial in an unmarked grave under a car park is just wrong to me, with no disrespect meant to the city of Leicester. I feel it would bring the last Plantagenet king more honor and respect to bury him in York Minster, and I hope York repetitions for this to happen.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Courtier

I absolutely agree. York is the most appropriate place for his reburial.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The early Plantagenets were the focus of a 1970's BBC television series 'The Devil's Crown',sadly its never been released on dvd.

The Devil's Crown (TV Series 1978
Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Should it happen, I would not like to be the person tasked with letting the people of Leicester know that the remains are to be buried in York.

My preference would be Westminster Abbey personally, but if not, it makes sense for him to be laid to rest as close as possible to the spot where he has been resting in relative peace for over 500 years.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Gentry

At the moment, it's going to be Leicester - something to do with exhumation licences and the idea being to rebury him as close as possible to where he was originally buried. Leicester is very keen on the idea because it'll attract tourists - I understand that from their point of view, but I really think he should be buried at York Minster. There's some talk of the leader of York City Council writing to the Queen, but there's no way the Queen'll intervene.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

It should be a Catholic funeral/interrment as well.

LaRae
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I hope you succeed.

I have nothing against Leicester but it's hardly a suitable place for the King's reburial. For the past 500 years, he lay there, humiliated and forgotten. Now, there is a chance to give Richard a proper farewell, at a place that has a better association. Some place like York where was genuinely loved and the place he himself cared for deeply.
How incredible is that...a King found in a parking lot.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^Isn't it? Pretty amazing, especially since it's such a famous and controversial king.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just an odd thought. Wouldn't it be possible to inter some of Richard III's remains in both places? I know its been done before (my father-in-law, a Presbyterian minister) where a person has close ties to several places and the remains are interred in more than one place. Come to think of it, I believe that relics of several saints have had the same thing done at various cathedrals and churches.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Well it wasn't a parking lot 500 years ago so not really that remarkable.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent

It is pretty remarkable in current times when you consider what those cars were unknowingly parked over on a daily basis. This wasn't a grave found in a remote area, but right in the city. And I think Osipi's idea might be a good King Solomon's solution; it wouldn't be the first time part of a monarch's body was interred in another place. I don't know what kind of reaction this may spark, though, among proponents of the two cities in question.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
He will either be buried in Leicester or York, most likely Leicester.
oh, thanks so much for your answer
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The White Queen to become a ten part BBC ONE drama series

Richard III will feature in this series which will air in May 2013 on the BBC.

BBC - Media Centre - The White Queen, a new ten-part drama for BBC One

The White Queen to become a ten part BBC ONE drama series | Philippa Gregory Official Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
That's fantastic - I love her "Cousins' War" series!
I've been a fan of Philippa Gregory's writings for quite a while. It's good to know there are others out there who also appreciate her.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^I hope you read "The Kingmaker's Daughter," her latest novel about Anne Neville. The next one in the series will be "The White Princess," about Princess Elizabeth of York.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
^^^I hope you read "The Kingmaker's Daughter," her latest novel about Anne Neville. The next one in the series will be "The White Princess," about Princess Elizabeth of York.
I had started The White Queen but stopped because I had read the same story earlier this year from her sister Kate's, the Duchess of Buckingham (I think). With all the news of Richard III, I started reading it and am 1/4 of the way through. I have read The Red Queen, but will read it again as it's been a few years, then I will read "The Kingmaker's Daughter." I very much enjoy Philippa's writing and am so excited to see the relevance with everything that is going on regarding Richard.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Serene Highness

If the remains are cremated it would be appropriate to divide the ashes. But I would not divide the bones. Even Mary Queen of Scots has her head buried with the rest of her. Not dignified to separate the bones.
Osipi's idea of a Catholic funeral is appropriate, but if he has a Catholic funeral he should be buried in Catholic holy ground. The cathedrals which are not at present Catholic...do they have a section for Catholic burials? I wouldn't think so. I am not in England so I don't know what Catholic cathedral would have holy ground for his remains. Maybe the Catholic cathedral at Westminster or in York. I know these cathedrals like York must have been built before he died, and were once Catholic, but they are not now if they are C of E.
Prayers for his soul's peace, that's the real location that counts.